Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 16:15   #376
Senior - BHPian

Frank any updates on the supension work done?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 19:41   #377
Senior - BHPian

re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Yes sir. Some intensive work done on the front suspension. The struts, strut kit, tie rod, suspension bushing kits are all new. The rear shocks were replaced. Also had the misfortune of getting a defective engine mount from Wagenwerkz but they were prompt enough to replace the shot engine mount the day I told them I was facing issues. Overall, a very good job done by Wagenwerkz. The ride is now as it should be from the factory and the autorunners installed in the rear have already shown their magic. The rear just bounces off oh so slightly every time the suspension reaches its full travel due to them and the rear hardly bottoms out. The Beauty of the mod is that it doesn't really increase the height of the suspension. It just prevents the shocks from bottoming out and the rear end thudding like before. I'm very happy with the customer service and the bills presented to me. Labour could be slightly lower but then again, quality has its price. I hope more people in Mumbai support Wagenwerkz as he is a skilled worker and diligent honest guy. His team is very skilled and the quality of their work has reflected in a silky smooth ride on horrible Mumbai roads.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 20:54   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Yes sir. Some intensive work done on the front suspension. The struts, strut kit, tie rod, suspension bushing kits are all new. The rear shocks were replaced. Also had the misfortune of getting a defective engine mount from Wagenwerkz but they were prompt enough to replace the shot engine mount the day I told them I was facing issues. Overall, a very good job done by Wagenwerkz. The ride is now as it should be from the factory and the autorunners installed in the rear have already shown their magic. The rear just bounces off oh so slightly every time the suspension reaches its full travel due to them and the rear hardly bottoms out. The Beauty of the mod is that it doesn't really increase the height of the suspension. It just prevents the shocks from bottoming out and the rear end thudding like before. I'm very happy with the customer service and the bills presented to me. Labour could be slightly lower but then again, quality has its price. I hope more people in Mumbai support Wagenwerkz as he is a skilled worker and diligent honest guy. His team is very skilled and the quality of their work has reflected in a silky smooth ride on horrible Mumbai roads.
Frank do you mind sharing the costs.Also what was the indication that the suspension needed a overhaul? Did the car bounce around too much or was there sounds of thudding as you drove over potholes ?

Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 18:27   #379
Senior - BHPian

Here's a breakup of the costs guys.

Strut Kit (OE Honda RBI)

Lower Arm Bushing set (OE Honda RBI)

Rear Damper Assembly(TRW)

Tie Rod End (OEM Honda)

Stabilizer Link(OEM Honda)

Auto Runner Compression Pads

Total 23300

Labour Rate/Hour Hours Total Rate
Front Suspension Overhaul Labour

Rear Damper Replacement

Total 6500

Grand Total: 29800

Last edited by frankmehta : 16th June 2013 at 18:28.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 15:06   #380
Senior - BHPian

An update from me: The car has done 21000 km since we got her home in as little as 10 months!! It's a shock, considering the fact that our Fiesta S was sold after 3.5 years with 19000 on the odo (IIRC) and that the Zen in our house has done 34000 km in 9 years of it's presence!!!!

The car has been a pleasure to drive and she's still a peach on the highway. Bad roads ruffle her composure and she does touch her underbelly on high 'breakers, but then again, the car is 6 years and 61000 km old, so there is bound to be some suspension sag.
The car still does 120-150 km per tankful of CNG and still manages to eke out about 12-15 km per kilogram of CNG which works out to Rs. 2.5-3 per km.
I have no complaints at all from the car. She has served us to her utmost potential.

But, sadly, there comes a time when the older generation has to take a backseat and the younger gen takes over. The Civic is being retired as a workhorse soon now. We are expecting delivery of a brand new Black Swift ZDi anytime soon. The Civic will be put up for sale very soon and I am sure that the new owner will cherish her for another 60 k km if he takes as good care of the car as I have taken over these months.
I love the Civic, and I might just be able to keep her if I push for it at home, but a third car is not very feasible in a tightly packed place like South Mumbai where parking spaces sell for more than what a respectable house would cost in the far out suburbs. Well, putting her up for sale would be a sad proposition and I want an opinion from you'll as to whether we should keep her or part with her.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 16:05   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An update from me: The car has done 21000 km since we got her home in as little as 10 months!! It's a shock, considering the fact that our Fiesta S was sold after 3.5 years with 19000 on the odo (IIRC) and that the Zen in our house has done 34000 km in 9 years of it's presence!!!!
Now as you are MARRIED your number of trips, outings & running around etc have increased

Quote:
I love the Civic, and I might just be able to keep her if I push for it at home, but a third car is not very feasible in a tightly packed place like South Mumbai where parking spaces sell for more than what a respectable house would cost in the far out suburbs. Well, putting her up for sale would be a sad proposition and I want an opinion from you'll as to whether we should keep her or part with her.
Depends on whats your budget for a new / pre owned car is ?

If you are planning a hatch back i'd say dont sell, keep her (Unless its a 1.2 Tsi )

Last edited by karan561 : 17th August 2013 at 16:08.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 17:13   #382
BHPian

Quote:

The car has been a pleasure to drive and she's still a peach on the highway. Bad roads ruffle her composure and she does touch her underbelly on high 'breakers, but then again, the car is 6 years and 61000 km old, so there is bound to be some suspension sag.
The car still does 120-150 km per tankful of CNG and still manages to eke out about 12-15 km per kilogram of CNG which works out to Rs. 2.5-3 per km.
I have no complaints at all from the car. She has served us to her utmost potential.

But, sadly, there comes a time when the older generation has to take a backseat and the younger gen takes over. The Civic is being retired as a workhorse soon now. We are expecting delivery of a brand new Black Swift ZDi anytime soon. The Civic will be put up for sale very soon and I am sure that the new owner will cherish her for another 60 k km if he takes as good care of the car as I have taken over these months.
Exactly the same situation with me, my Civic has clocked 12000 kms in last 7 months. My Cedia has done 23k kms in last 5 years, my City Vtec has done 68k kms in last 10 years and SX4 has done 10k kms in last 3 years. Now due to taxation I'm getting another car in Company name to get tax benefits. I had to sell 1 car, again the same problem of parking in South Mumbai. But, I'm planning to sell my Cedia and not the CIVIC.Can't sell SX4 as it's used by my parents. It's a tough call to sell the Cedia as it has done just 23k kms which means it's just out of the run in period. Hence I'm delaying my decision to sell for last 4 months but now it looks like time has come to sell the car and move on ( A decision taken from mind for which Heart still says no).
My Civic is giving anything between 13-15 Kms on CNG with city driving, on 2-3 trips to Lonavala it has given between 20-22 kms per Kg of CNG. The running cost of Civic is coming close to 3 Rs per KM including the petrol filling of Rs 1500 per 2200 Kms. The only maintenance needed is the regular service.
I don't know if selling Civic and getting Swift Diesel will be a wise decision because I believe your CIVIC has not crossed it's age where it will need regular replacement of stuff. And the running cost also will more or less the same. I hope whatever you decide works out the best for you . All the best.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 17:30   #383
BHPian

Quote:
But, sadly, there comes a time when the older generation has to take a backseat and the younger gen takes over. The Civic is being retired as a workhorse soon now. We are expecting delivery of a brand new Black Swift ZDi anytime soon... I want an opinion from you'll as to whether we should keep her or part with her.
Dear Doc,

I empathize with your situation completely, since I had to part with my fav. car, the spark just a few weeks back. Much as you wish, its best to part with your car (if possible, sell it to a known person, so that you atleast know that it'll be in good hands).

Looking forwards to your swift ownership report. One question, are you going to retain that awesome music system with you?

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 17:55   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Civic is being retired as a workhorse soon now. We are expecting delivery of a brand new Black Swift ZDi anytime soon. The Civic will be put up for sale very soon and I am sure that the new owner will cherish her for another 60 k km if he takes as good care of the car as I have taken over these months.
Hello Frank,

If the parking place situation permits, I will definitely suggest to keep the car. Because I feel with all the maintenance you have done in last few months, the car will be surely trouble free for atleast next 20,000 kms.

But I understand the parking scarcity in this city & even in suburbs each car park sells for Rs. 5 lacs, the amount which surprisingly is more than price of a entry level hatchback.

By the way at what price are you planning to sell the car for?

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 18:04   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here itself lies the answer to your query.Seems you enjoyed driving the Civic more than you enjoyed driving the other 2 cars.Haven't you recently spent a good sum of money for the suspension overhaul.

Quote:
The Civic will be put up for sale very soon and I am sure that the new owner will cherish her for another 60 k km if he takes as good care of the car as I have taken over these months
Why can't you be this guy yourself who could keep the car for another 60K just the way you have done it before
Old 20th August 2013, 16:50   #386
Senior - BHPian

We are still in two minds. Yes, I SHALL be keeping the audio system, but I won't be installing it in the Swift. In fact, the reason why I bought the ZDi is to just buy her, fill fuel and start driving. I am not really keen on installing anything on the car other than changing the tyres the day she comes.
As for the Honda, she just had an oil change today. A new air and oil filter too. I have followed the service guidelines so seriously, that I dread about what will happen to her if we do put her up for sale :-(
Old 27th August 2013, 12:19   #387
BHPian

Quote:
I dread about what will happen to her if we do put her up for sale :-(
If you do decide to put her up on sale, do put it on team-bhp classifieds as well. I am sure you will find many T-BHP enthusiasts who will take personal care of your car (like me), in fact I am also in the market looking for a used civic automatic.
salunkhe.vizz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 19:29   #388
BHPian

Hi Frank.

Been following this thread since a while now. So I just bought a second hand Honda Civic AT about a month ago and converted it to CNG Lovato. I've been having a bit of trouble with the car since and I was wondering if I could get some help. This is my first car and I really don't know much about owning one. I'm reading and slowly learning so please be patient. :-)

1. When I switch the car on it takes about 20-30 second to switch from Petrol to CNG. As soon as it converts the car moves forward on it's on accord really fast. Faster than when I switch from N to D on petrol. The car engine sounds heavier and strained for a few seconds and then it idles fine.

2. While driving a couple of things happen. When i slow down it feels like the car is about to switch off. Almost loses power. So it jerks a little but regains itself. I've also noticed that when I'm in neutral, usually at a signal, the RPM meter moves above 1 every now and then on its own.

3. Whenever I fill up my tank with CNG and as soon as it switches to gas the car goes off and I have to turn it on again.

4. I get an average of only 70km for a 14ltr tank. I should ideally be getting at least a 100 or 90 for the matter. Around 9 kg's of gas can be filled.

I've been told it might be an issue with the tuning of my CNG kit and I need to get that checked. Are these symptoms of that? Is asking for an average of 100km per full tank of CNG asking to much?
Old 5th October 2013, 12:34   #389
Senior - BHPian

@naderbalooch: I have two words for you. THROTTLE and BODY. Throttle Body cleaning will address most of the problems you speak of. Also, get your air filter replaced. Spark plugs need to be checked too.
Get all of this done and then go to your tuner and ask him to retune your kit. I hope you are using a Sequential Kit. If you aren't, then you are using the wrong type of CNG kit for your automatic car.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 17:03   #390
BHPian

Thank you for the advice. I will get my throttle body cleaned out. What would it ideally cost me? Can I get this done at a local garage or would it be a good idea to take it to Honda? I gave the car for servicing 2 weeks ago. The air filters and spark plugs were replaced. I'm told that at every servicing these would need to be replaced since I'm running CNG? I am using a Lovato sequential kit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks