Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2014, 16:08   #691
BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

swiftnfurious & jdr

Thanks for sharing your experiences and suggestions.
I need to look for a suspension kit in case of a remap?

I think it is more dependent on the driving style. Mi10 had posted rightly, there are folks who have blown engines, blown away the clutch etc., on a stock!! So, I believe its in our control.

All said and done, I will surely consider my safety. If the probability calls for it, I will go for the safe bet and get the brakes/suspension updated.

Hmmm! For now, Let me continue with the research.
Old 18th March 2014, 19:10   #692
BHPian

Hi guys, I am planning on getting a 1.2 Asta (O) in about a month's time. Just had a couple of questions:

1. Since it comes with 6 airbags, what is the approximate cost of replacing an airbag (not sure if there is a situation wherein only 1 pops out but would like to know)
2. Can I fit seat covers since it comes with side and curtain airbags?
3. Does the HU support an iPod nano connected via USB with steering controls etc working?

Also can anyone list out the minor differences between the Asta and Asta (O) other than the apparent ones if any (sunroof, 6 air bags, auto speed sensing door locks)
Old 19th March 2014, 11:55   #693
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

Need your expert advice . I own a 2011 model i20 Asta 1.2 Petrol and at the time of purchase, i took 3rd year extended warranty as well which is expiring in the month of April.

Now Hyundai is offering an extension of another 1 year (4th Year) warranty for a cost of Rs. ~7100/-.

Would it make sense to buy this and extend the warranty for 4th year too?

Please opine.

Thanks
-Ravi
Old 19th March 2014, 13:46   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzone View Post
Hi guys, I am planning on getting a 1.2 Asta (O) in about a month's time. Just had a couple of questions:

1. Since it comes with 6 airbags, what is the approximate cost of replacing an airbag (not sure if there is a situation wherein only 1 pops out but would like to know)
2. Can I fit seat covers since it comes with side and curtain airbags?
3. Does the HU support an iPod nano connected via USB with steering controls etc working?

Also can anyone list out the minor differences between the Asta and Asta (O) other than the apparent ones if any (sunroof, 6 air bags, auto speed sensing door locks)
1) As per this post, the entire kit would need replacement:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post1835883

Also, read elsewhere that it would cost almost 40k per airbag.

However, if you have 0 dep insurance, I guess it will covered almost completely and for regular insurance, 50% is usually covered. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2) No

3) Yes, but as far as I know, it is detected as a regular USB drive (in our 2010 i20). Just check if there is a separate iPod connector available for i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Need your expert advice . I own a 2011 model i20 Asta 1.2 Petrol and at the time of purchase, i took 3rd year extended warranty as well which is expiring in the month of April.

Now Hyundai is offering an extension of another 1 year (4th Year) warranty for a cost of Rs. ~7100/-.

Would it make sense to buy this and extend the warranty for 4th year too?
Having an extended warranty is always good and would provide you a peace of mind as your car ages. However, the cost stated for the warranty is on the higher side. If your running is less and if you havent had any hiccups to date, then opting out wouldnt be a wrong decision. Also, I guess the warranty wont be applicable on parts having wear and tear (considering its a 2011 model).

Last edited by _raVan_ : 19th March 2014 at 13:54.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 17:37   #695
BHPian

A query to experts and people who've been driving i20 diesel for some time.

Few days back, I tried to reverse up a slope in a diesel i20, the engine dropped rpms very fast and most of the times stalled as soon as I reached the clutch's bite point, no matter how much throttle I was applying. It must've stalled about 8-9 times in that 20 meter long slope. It was on a hill-station, so you can guess the gradient. I could go up only half-clutching with engine revving hard, something I did not like doing to someone else's car. I thought it will be done without all this drama, as diesels make so much torque low down in rpm range.

Never faced such a thing in my petrol Santro. But then I never tried to reverse it up such a long slope.

Does it have something to do with reverse gear ratio? That it is not ideal for going up slopes? Something like trying to take off from zero in 3rd gear on level ground? I was driving a 5-speed pre-facelift i20. BTW, what is the reverse ratio, and how much is the 1st? I know 1st would be smaller than reverse. And GTO's i20 review says 1st was small enough to go up steep slopes :

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hyundai has given the i20 a short 1st gear ratio; this helped us on an extremely steep incline where we didn't have to brutally slip the clutch.
Or is it this diesel's characteristic, that I need to work up the turbo @2000 rpm to get things moving (in reverse on a slope)?

If neither is the case, I'll take it to be my inexperience with someone else's car, that too a diesel (have not driven many diesels). But I have been driving for over 15 years now, and have driven many different cars, over varied surfaces without a hitch.
Old 8th April 2014, 14:09   #696
BHPian

i20 missing from hyundai india website.......
new launch expected soon??
Old 8th April 2014, 14:45   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_see View Post
i20 missing from hyundai india website.......
new launch expected soon??
Yes you are right. It has been removed from the main page but you can still access it from google search.
Attached Thumbnails
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-hyundai-inida-i20.png  

Old 8th April 2014, 14:53   #698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_see View Post
i20 missing from hyundai india website....... new launch expected soon??
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Yes you are right. It has been removed from the main page but you can still access it from google search.
Where? I am able to see it in the homepage. Am I missing something here? 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-image3612192377.jpg

If the new one is coming soon, I'll wait and get one of those instead of the Xcent AT.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th April 2014 at 14:54.
Old 8th April 2014, 15:49   #699
BHPian

i20 is very much still on the website. It's just that it isn't featured on the homepage with the most recent launches. Click on showroom, you can see the entire lineup.
Old 10th April 2014, 16:54   #700
BHPian

Guys.. any confirmed information about the launch of 2014 i20 ?
I have been short-listing my new ride for quite a few weeks and it seems that its going the i20 way as wifey is comfortable driving it due to soft clutch thereby leaving few options for me only in this vast market.
Also, reading on our forum, I see a hell lot of BHPians complaining about steering rattle issues, even in iGeni20 where I thought the issue was rectified Should I opt for extended warranty ? Is the issue coming up in most of i20s or only owners facing issues are reporting ?
Any advice, suggestions, tips regarding i20 would be highly appreciated.
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 09:37   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Also, reading on our forum, I see a hell lot of BHPians complaining about steering rattle issues, even in iGeni20 where I thought the issue was rectified : Should I opt for extended warranty ? Is the issue coming up in most of i20s or only owners facing issues are reporting ?
Any advice, suggestions, tips regarding i20 would be highly appreciated.
Thank you for asking this question. Even my Dad is in a similar quandary about Extended Warranty for his brand new I20.

When we bought the car almost 3 months ago the dealership was absolutely brand new - just getting registered etc. So they were not able to give us the Extended Warranty right on the day we took the car.
Now, however, all their formalities etc are complete and they are ready to provide us with the Extended Warranty.

Warranty/ Extended Warranty info:
The Hyundai I 20 comes with a 2 Year warranty from the factory
One can buy an extended warranty for the 3rd year, or for the 3rd and 4th years, or if one likes, for the 3rd,4th and 5th years.
If you buy the Ext Warranty for three additional years within the first three months of buying the car, you pay around Rs 15000 for it.
If you buy the said Ext Warranty (for three additional years), after the first three months and before the end of your first warranty period of two years, then you pay around Rs 17000 odd for it.

Issues with I20's:
I have not heard serious issues about the Hyundai I20. In general Hyundai vehicles are quite reliable and solid, even though they have tons of fiddlybits and electronics and hundreds of tech type features in them.
One of the few issues I keep reading about on TBHP is this steering rattle issue. Other than this, it is the plastic gears which enable the wing mirrors to fold in and out.

Our use case:
My Dad's I20 is brand new. It has just had its first service when it had done 750 kms. Now it has hit 1150 kms or so. By the end of this month it just might have hit 1500 ams.
All this points to the standard average usage of 500 -600kms per month or so at the max. Apart from this, my Dad maintains his vehicle in absolutely pristine condition. He is extremely careful with it and does not generally allow drivers and valets etc to drive it. Basically no one other than he or I, get to drive his vehicles.

To buy or not to buy the Extended Warranty:
Even in the scenario as described above, I feel that for complete peace of mind, it is important and sensible for us to invest in the Extended Warranty.
Just in case something mechanical or electronic goes haywire over then next 5 years of ownership, at least one is absolutely sure that one is covered against such eventualities.
I would always advocate that one should never count costs when it comes to things like this. Preventive maintenance and in this case, "Anticipatory Bail" by way of Extended Warranty, is an absolutely essential purchase and not to be considered a luxury or a frill.

When one spends 7.5 lacs to buy a nice spanking brand new car, why jib at the additional 15K? In percentage terms it is just 2%!

When considered over 5 years, it barely comes to Rs 250 per month, which is probably equal to what you would be paying for your daily newspapers.

Even if considered over 3 years, it barely hits Rs 425 per month, which is probably what you would be paying for one room's cable TV/ Set Top Box subscription cost!

Conclusion:
In short, it is nothing but sheer penny wisdom and pound foolishness, if one were not to opt for an Extended Warranty when faced with the choice. The cost of it is truly negligible when considering the peace of mind that one gets when one buys one.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 10:53   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Conclusion:
In short, it is nothing but sheer penny wisdom and pound foolishness, if one were not to opt for an Extended Warranty when faced with the choice. The cost of it is truly negligible when considering the peace of mind that one gets when one buys one.
But the flipside of opting for full 5 year extended warranty is that you are tied up with the Hyundai Service centres till that time. Also these service centres are known to rip off unsuspecting customers especially during major services. My SA quoted 12.5k for the 30k service for my petrol i20 and added lots of works that were not even required (like additives, various cleaning etc). When all these non-value added works were removed, it still came to 8k which is quite high IMO for a petrol i20. I simply walked out of there as my 3 year warranty had just expired and serviced my car at Mobil 1 car care. The bill came to just 3.8k and I am quite happy with the quality of work.

As per me for low running petrol cars, a 3 years warranty would suffice. after that there are many independant garages which are well equipped to take care of these cars. For diesel cars, its an altogether different story as critical parts like injectors etc are quite costly and its quite prudent to opt for a longer warranty.
racer_ash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 12:40   #703
Senior - BHPian

My i20 petrol completes 3 years this month and my yearly average is about 9 to 10k kms.

When i bought the car, Hyundai was offering only 3 year extended warranty and i took it then. However, recently they started to offer extension to 4th year warranty as well for about 7.1 k and last week i bought that one too, which gives peace of mind like @shankar.balan mentioned.

As i am approaching 30k in a month or two, when i gave my car for service in February, the SA told the next major service is at 30k kms and would cost approx. 14k Seems its very similar to what @racer_ash pointed out.

I haven't heard of such high cost for single service in other cars (Swift for example) So was wondering what are they going to do for such high cost.
My usual service bill comes around 5k every 6 months. No doubt, Hyundai service/maintenance costs are pretty high compared to other dealers.

Although i have extended warranty for 4th year, experts can suggest would it make sense to give the car for 30k service in other garage which works out cheaper rather than Hyundai service center? If so, can some one provide details about what needs to be changed at 30k service & suggest a reliable service center in Bangalore for i20 ?

Thanks in advance.
-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 13:06   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
But the flipside of opting for full 5 year extended warranty is that you are tied up with the Hyundai Service centres till that time. Also these service centres are known to rip off unsuspecting customers especially during major services. My SA quoted 12.5k for the 30k service for my petrol i20 and added lots of works that were not even required (like additives, various cleaning etc).
As per me for low running petrol cars, a 3 years warranty would suffice. after that there are many independant garages which are well equipped to take care of these cars. For diesel cars, its an altogether different story as critical parts like injectors etc are quite costly and its quite prudent to opt for a longer warranty.
This is only my point of view but personally I would prefer at all times (at least until I am covered under Extended Warranty), to stay with the Authorized Service Network.

Independent garages are great, no doubt (like Mike and Edd in Wheeler Dealers) but I would probably explore them only after my warranty expires and then if indeed I still have the same vehicle.

Your point about Petrol cars cost of service is well taken. Yes, Diesel cars are more expensive generally to maintain than their Petrol counterparts. It is hence, even more important to have an Extended Warranty when one owns a complex Diesel car.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 14:11   #705
BHPian

Quote:
----
However, recently they started to offer extension to 4th year warranty as well for about 7.1 k and last week i bought that one too, which gives peace of mind like @shankar.balan mentioned.
I was offered the same when I had gone for the 30k/3yr service. But luckily, I got the 30k service quote of 12.5K before I got the offer for extended warranty. I was so ticked off with the 5 digit service quote that I immediately opted out of the extended warranty.
Quote:
As i am approaching 30k in a month or two, when i gave my car for service in February, the SA told the next major service is at 30k kms and would cost approx. 14k Seems its very similar to what @racer_ash pointed out.
Pls ask the SA what all he plans to do in the service. There must be atleast 7-8 items that are add-ons like engine decarborizing, engine flush and additives, fuel additives etc. Ask him what it is used for. I am sure he must be giving some mumbo-jumbo about performance improvement. Also ask him to show each item that he plans to do if it is mentioned in the manual, if he tries to cover up, then flatly refuse that item. Even without all these add-ons, the quote still came out high in my case.
Quote:
Although i have extended warranty for 4th year, experts can suggest would it make sense to give the car for 30k service in other garage which works out cheaper rather than Hyundai service center?
Since you have already opted for extended warranty, I suggest you stick to the Hyundai guys since they will surely deny the additional warranty if you service from outside. The only thing that youc an do is to minimise damages by deleting additional items like I mentioned above.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks