Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2014, 09:46   #631
BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Guys, I know this has been asked before to death, but I wanted to know specifically to the i20 CRDI. I replaced the stock air filter with the K&N filter, but now am having second thoughts about it because of it lets more dust in to the engine. Please let me know your thoughts.
And has anyone owning an i20 CRDI done the same?
Old 11th February 2014, 06:59   #632

And finally I book my CRDi ASTA.
Prices have changed since I checked last time and they are saying a waiting of 3-4weeks as for the top orders the order is placed based on booking.
Old 11th February 2014, 08:30   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Guys, I know this has been asked before to death, but I wanted to know specifically to the i20 CRDI. I replaced the stock air filter with the K&N filter, but now am having second thoughts about it because of it lets more dust in to the engine. Please let me know your thoughts.
No point in going for an after market air filter. Instead, keep replacing the stock air filter at regular intervals. I replace the air filter every 5K kms, it costs a mere Rs 270.
Old 11th February 2014, 10:17   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post

Check the upper part of the air filter housing to see the presence of dust,ie, the top plastic box that you remove to access the air filter. Run your fingers and feel the dust. If it is too much then it makes sense to go back to stock filter. If not then continue using. Just ensure that you clean your filter every 3K kms if K&N. Never let it clog too much on the top side of the filter.
Old 13th February 2014, 14:18   #635

Are there any i20 owners over here from Delhi. Need to know about the sales and service center.

I've booked mine from Sunrise Hyundai in East Delhi and the On-Road price is 9.01L (I'm opting for 4th year warranty as well else the cost is 8.94L on road with 3yrs warranty) for Asta CRDi. They are providing me the following discounts as of now:

1. A discount of 10k as part of some on-going schema (most probably a sales gimmic)
2. Corporate discount of 3k
3. Additional discount of 10k (due to knowing the sales lead
4. Exchange bonus of 15k.
Summing up to 23k/38k (provided I exchange my old car over here).

Anyone has an experience with this sales center or can suggest any better one?

For all the owners:
I know this being a top-end model I don't need to invest any further into accessories still anything worth getting plonked. I'm not sure of the seat-covers that are provided so have that in my mind other than the rain visor to be fixed.
Also what other things I can ask them for? One thing I know of enabling the auto-door locks.
Old 13th February 2014, 20:38   #636
jdr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
Dear All,

Having a doubt with the 1.4 diesel engine.

After the morning crank, the engine clatter is quite inconsistent and remains so till the engine reaches the optimum temp mark. Is this issue common with this diesel engine?

However, I never noticed this in my old Verna 1.5 crdi.
Hi Sudeep,
I've noticed this clatter as well in my new i20 (1 month old, ~1800kms). The clatter comes and goes and there's no way to say when it'll come or when it'll go. I've usually noticed it under gentle acceleration generally between 1750-2000 RPM, and it goes away if I floor it. The problem persists even after the engine reaches operating temperature. the HASS SE said it was normal, but I don't trust those guys, so I'll be taking a second opinion from a (hopefully) better mechanic. Never heard this in my dad's Skoda Octavia, but then, that's Skoda after all). I'll keep you posted.
If anyone else has noticed this or has got it resolved, please let us know.

Thanks and regards,
jdr
Old 13th February 2014, 23:31   #637
jdr
BHPian

Does anyone know the kerb and gross weights of the igen i20 crdi 6-speed sportz version?
Also, does anyone know why Hyundai car brochures don't print these values anymore?
regards,
jdr
Old 14th February 2014, 11:11   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Does anyone know the kerb and gross weights of the igen i20 crdi 6-speed sportz version?
Also, does anyone know why Hyundai car brochures don't print these values anymore?
regards,
jdr
The top end diesel weights around 1250. No idea why they stopped sharing this post i-gen launch.
sudeep.pandya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 11:28   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sudeep,
I've noticed this clatter as well in my new i20 (1 month old, ~1800kms). The clatter comes and goes and there's no way to say when it'll come or when it'll go. I've usually noticed it under gentle acceleration generally between 1750-2000 RPM, and it goes away if I floor it. The problem persists even after the engine reaches operating temperature. the HASS SE said it was normal, but I don't trust those guys, so I'll be taking a second opinion from a (hopefully) better mechanic. Never heard this in my dad's Skoda Octavia, but then, that's Skoda after all). I'll keep you posted.

Thanks and regards,
jdr
I did not notice any excess clatter in that range. The car sounds unrefined when cold though.

When I shared this issue with Sanjay Hyundai they said their team has updated the malware of ECM which I think is total rubbish. What they might have done is ECU reset.

If you are in pune we can probably do some research if this is inherent nature of this engine or something else.
Old 14th February 2014, 18:44   #640
jdr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
If you are in pune we can probably do some research if this is inherent nature of this engine or something else.
Yes, i'm in pune. we can try researching this problem. I'm also planning to get a mini bluetooth obd2 scanner to check up on the ecu data. don't know how useful it'll be in this case.
Also, did the ECU reset (or whatever hass did) resolve your ecu?

Regards,
jdr
Old 17th February 2014, 11:36   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sudeep,

Thanks and regards,
jdr
Even I am noticing clatter sound in my new i20. I purchased it in January 2014 and did couple of long journeys. My i20 has run 2100 Kms. This clatter sound is prominent while I was coming back from my second long journey. This is happening after the first free service. Before the service I did not hear the sound. I could easily hear it while the car is accelerating on every gear. Not sure why this is happening. I will get in touch with HASS on Saturday and find out what could be the reason.
Old 17th February 2014, 12:10   #642
jdr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Even I am noticing clatter sound in my new i20. I purchased it in January 2014 and did couple of long journeys. My i20 has run 2100 Kms. This clatter sound is prominent while I was coming back from my second long journey. This is happening after the first free service. Before the service I did not hear the sound. I could easily hear it while the car is accelerating on every gear. Not sure why this is happening. I will get in touch with HASS on Saturday and find out what could be the reason.
sabsubs, please let us know what your HASS thinks the problem is.

I plan to get a TD of another i20 from the dealer to see if the problem sound is inherent to all i20's or just my car. Then visit a better mechanic than found at HASS to see what s/he has to say.

-jdr
Old 19th February 2014, 10:17   #643
BHPian

Quote:
sabsubs, please let us know what your HASS thinks the problem is.

I plan to get a TD of another i20 from the dealer to see if the problem sound is inherent to all i20's or just my car. Then visit a better mechanic than found at HASS to see what s/he has to say.

-jdr
Hi jdr,

Same was my plan but Kothari Hyundai dint have the TD diesel i20 at that time or may be they did not want to offer one . Let us look into the issue and try to rectify. The OBD device will definitely help us to compare the values. Let us try to catch up this coming weekend or next, will try to diagnose the issue as our cars are still under warranty. I will PM you my details shortly.

This inconsistent sound reminds me of Bajaj times when every pulsar used to sound dissimilar and behave differently. My friend's P220-fi used to handle and break better whereas mine had better acceleration and free revving engine. However we always used same specs of oils and fluids.
Old 19th February 2014, 15:35   #644
RSR
Senior - BHPian

We took delivery of our i20 Asta 1.2 petrol on Monday. We didn't drive around much on Monday, straight to the temple for prayers and blessings, and headed home as the number plate wasn't ready. Yesterday I got the number plate fixed and got to know the car while driving in the city, the environment in which the car will spend most of its time.

Here are some of the points I noted:

Pros

- Engine NVH. The 1.2 Kappa with VTVT is a very refined unit and it has a nice feel to it from idle through the mid-range. We're avoiding high revs during the run-in period.

- Design, build and fit-and-finish. The i20 was always a good looking car, the facelift enhances it further and gives it a European look at the front. Build and paint quality are good, and the interiors (a Hyundai strength in recent times) are very well made.

- Features. Though I would have preferred Hyundai giving six airbags as standard on the Asta, it is otherwise quite well loaded with many useful features such as DRLs, Bluetooth connectivity, keyless entry & start-stop, electrically foldable mirrors, reverse camera & sensors, climate control, driver armrest, rain and dusk sensors etc., making it value-for-money.

- Comfortable and spacious front seats. Adjustable neck restraints (headrests), dead pedal, tilt-and-telescopic steering, driver's seat height adjustment and armrest make it easy to find a comfortable driving position for most people.

- Boot space. It is good for a sub-4m hatchback and the 60:40 split folding offers flexibility when needed.

- Gearbox and clutch. The gears slot in with a precise and positive feel without much effort, while the clutch is light enough and easy to use.

- Driver's seat belt reminder, both visual and loud continuous beeping. I always belt up as soon as I sit in a car (on any seat) so this doesn't matter that much to me. I really welcome this feature because the persistent loud beeps will ensure that my dad is belted up while driving (he forgets to wear the belt sometimes).

Okays

- Engine performance. While the same 1.2 Kappa VTVT makes the i10 and the Grand i10 (and presumably the upcoming Xcent too) very quick with super sharp, eager throttle responses and great pep throughout the rev range, the engine merely feels above average in the heavier i20. I'm not complaining about this one as the performance on tap is good enough for most purposes and part throttle responses & drivability are quite good too. But the i20 diesel with the 6-speed gearbox is in a different league when it comes to flat-out performance (after the lag, when the turbo is on song).

- Front visibility from the driver's seat. While the rear camera & sensors aid rear visibility and the ORVMs are adequate, frontal visibility is not the best. This maybe because I'm used to tallboy hatchbacks and find the lower seating position new. It may take some getting used to. No complaints about the lights though. I haven't driven on highways yet, but the headlamp's low beam spread and intensity is very good compared to the barely adequate one on the i10, while the tail lights, stop lamps & HMSL, indicators, fog lamps and LED DRLs all aid in improving visibility.

- Rear seats. These are not as good as I expected, though they may be better than some direct competitors. The width is good and the two height adjustable neck restraints are very welcome, but the headroom is only adequate. If tall people are seated up front setting the seats to a comfortable position, the rear passengers' available space gets reduced. I would have also preferred an ELR seatbelt and height-adjustable neck restraint for the centre passenger, as on the export models.

Cons

- Steering. I'm amongst the minority on Team-BHP who prefers an EPS over a hydraulic unit for its lightness and ease of use in tight parking spots (like the contortions we have to do to get the car into our parking space). Still, I find the steering to be lacking in feel (even for a light EPS) and almost game console like. Surprisingly, I find the steering on the lighter i10 (with skinny stock tyres) to offer better feel and directness.

- Turning circle radius of 5.2m is bigger than those of most competitors. This may pose a problem on tight U-turns and navigating through small, congested lanes. The very light steering and foldable mirrors only alleviate this partly. On the topic of steering, I find the steering wheel's rim thin to hold but a cover should sort this out.

- Ground clearance. On paper it is 165mm which is the same as those on the i10 and Indica, and I've not had a problem on those cars navigating even large speed breakers. However, the wheelbase and track of the i20 are longer and wider. With a soft-ish suspension, one may have to take care while crossing large, unscientifically laid speed breakers with a full load. I wish the GC was increased to 175mm to prevent underbody scrapes.

- Single reverse lamp on the left side. The right side unit houses the rear fog lamp in place of the reverse lamp. I would have preferred two reverse lamps for better visibility to others while reversing and a single, centrally mounted rear fog lamp.

Unknowns

- A/C performance. Chennai's very brief, cool winter is just ending and the A/C performance is good enough now. The real test will come during the unbearably hot and humid time in summer. Keeping my fingers crossed about this as there were complaints about the i20's cooling from members earlier (sun-films are also banned now). The air vents are not great for aiming air at one's face, due to their weird shape.

- Fuel efficiency. This can be calculated after more usage in different conditions to arrive at a number. I'm not expecting anything great in the city with the A/C on, but as long as it is not uncomfortably low, it should be okay. I hope the highway efficiency is good enough.

I'll put up a detailed review with pictures later, after getting to know everything about the car.

The initial impressions are positive overall, and Hyundai have made a good effort in designing and building a quality, user friendly product with characteristics and features that Indians want and prefer. The car is also value-for-money if one considers the nice feeling it provides with its interiors, fit-and-finish and list of features.

The next generation i20 should be on sale in India next year after it's unveiling at the Paris Motor Show later this year. Hyundai have an opportunity to further build on the car's strengths and sort out its weaknesses (such as driving dynamics, steering feel etc.) with the next generation product. I have a feeling that the next generation i20 would be as much of an improvement over this one, as the Grand i10 is over the i10. This South Korean manufacturer is definitely on the right path as an automobile company. I wish them good luck in their future efforts.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 15:59   #645
jdr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
We took delivery of our i20 Asta 1.2 petrol on Monday.
Congratulations on the new car mate. Welcome to the club

Quote:
We're avoiding high revs during the run-in period.
The user manual recommends, as do many people on many forums, that there is no need to baby the engine during the break-in period. The most common advise that varying RPM is more important than how high you rev, as long as you don't redline it too often or continuously. As per the user manual of the 1.4 crdi diesel car, it is recommended to vary the RPM between 2000 to 4000 RPM in the beginning. You can check your user manual to see the recommendation for pertrol vehicles.

Quote:
Though I would have preferred Hyundai giving six airbags as standard on the Asta, it is otherwise quite well loaded with many useful features such as DRLs, Bluetooth connectivity, keyless entry & start-stop, electrically foldable mirrors, reverse camera & sensors, climate control, driver armrest, rain and dusk sensors etc., making it value-for-money.
You're making me regret not buying the Asta or Asta(O) instead of the Sportz...!

Quote:
Front visibility from the driver's seat. While the rear camera & sensors aid rear visibility and the ORVMs are adequate, frontal visibility is not the best. This maybe because I'm used to tallboy hatchbacks and find the lower seating position new. It may take some getting used to. No complaints about the lights though. I haven't driven on highways yet, but the headlamp's low beam spread and intensity is very good compared to the barely adequate one on the i10, while the tail lights, stop lamps & HMSL, indicators, fog lamps and LED DRLs all aid in improving visibility.
More than the low seats, you'll find that the A-pillars of the vehicle are a real problem -- entire bikes vanish in that blind spot. Also, maybe it's because of my height (urm, I'm not very tall), but I find that the C pillars also obstruct visibility especially when you have to look behind where ORVMs aren't enough.

Quote:
Turning circle radius of 5.2m is bigger than those of most competitors. This may pose a problem on tight U-turns and navigating through small, congested lanes. The very light steering and foldable mirrors only alleviate this partly. On the topic of steering, I find the steering wheel's rim thin to hold but a cover should sort this out.
Yes, the large turning radius leaves much to be desired when taking tight turns.
I don't understand what you mean when you say foldable mirrors add to the steering problem???
About the steering, yes, it is very thin, and a cover would solve that problem, but I also find that the steering is entirely too large.

Quote:
Single reverse lamp on the left side. The right side unit houses the rear fog lamp in place of the reverse lamp. I would have preferred two reverse lamps for better visibility to others while reversing and a single, centrally mounted rear fog lamp.
+1. I wonder if it would be possible to replace the fog lamp and wiring and add another reverse lamp. I am willing to not have a reverse fog lamp at all if this will work.

Quote:
A/C performance. Chennai's very brief, cool winter is just ending and the A/C performance is good enough now. The real test will come during the unbearably hot and humid time in summer. Keeping my fingers crossed about this as there were complaints about the i20's cooling from members earlier (sun-films are also banned now). The air vents are not great for aiming air at one's face, due to their weird shape.
The A/C is not as effective as one would like. Here in the Pune winter, it is just barely enough in the afternoons, but in the summer, I suspect it's going to be a problem (I got the car this January, so haven't had a summer run yet)

Quote:
The initial impressions are positive overall, and Hyundai have made a good effort in designing and building a quality, user friendly product with characteristics and features that Indians want and prefer. The car is also value-for-money if one considers the nice feeling it provides with its interiors, fit-and-finish and list of features.
I agree. I am so far very happy and very much in love with the igen i20!

Thanks for the review (I'll put up my owners review soon too)
-jdr
jdr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks