Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:30   #601
BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

My friend's 8 months/10K KMs old i20 Diesel has a strange issue from the beginning.
Once in 1-2 months it refuses to start. The self just doesn't respond.
And on opening & closing the bonnet (yea JUST by doing this) the self starts responding.
He showed it to the service guy in first service & they checked everything but could not diagnose anything as the car was starting fine in the service center.

What is the probable cause? & what can be done to rectify such stupid issue?

As the issue is very rare (once in 1-2 months) he has nothing to show to the service guys.
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:38   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
And on opening & closing the bonnet (yea JUST by doing this) the self starts responding.
I had read about a similar issue in XUV issues thread. I guess that was due to a faulty bonnet sensor (not sure what it is called exactly). The bonnet gets shaky, so the sensor thinks it is open so the vehicle security system does not allow engine to fire up.
May be this is also a similar issue.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:52   #603
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
You are correct on single airbag. We bought 1.4 L AT sportz for my mom last year and the only issue we had was this. 1.4L AT comes only in sportz trim and that doesn't offer 6 airbags.
At least two Airbags would have been nice.
Wonder why this level of penny pinching/ stinginess on the part of Hyundai.
And disc brakes for the rear wheels I believe are there in this Sportz 1.4 Gamma Petrol AT variant? Can you confirm?
Old 4th January 2014, 14:03   #604
BHPian

Any idea about bulb sizes in i20?

My guesses are - H3 for low beam, H7 for high beam and H27 for Fogs

Please confirm as I am planning to swich to Nightbreakers for the complete setup.
Old 5th January 2014, 11:03   #605
BHPian

1.5 years and 28k kms later, this is the condition of my flip key. Is it just my style of usage or anybody else facing this problem? The car is still under warranty. I am planning to ask the A.S.S for a replacement under warranty, even though I am sure there would be a negative response.
Googling led me to this link in e-bay, which makes me believe that this is a common issue else they would not have a market for it.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/hyundai-igen-...essories_parts

fellow i20'ians . whats the condition of your flips?
Attached Thumbnails
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-i20-flip-key.jpg  

Old 5th January 2014, 18:00   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
At least two Airbags would have been nice. Wonder why this level of penny pinching/ stinginess on the part of Hyundai. And disc brakes for the rear wheels I believe are there in this Sportz 1.4 Gamma Petrol AT variant? Can you confirm?
Yes, 1.4 AT Gamma Petrol comes with all 4 discs and ABS.
As you rightly said, even 2 airbags would have been nice on AT. Our requirement was hatchback, AT, Airbags for all passengers, all around disc breaks with ABS and preferably ESP. However, the options were only A Star AT, i10 AT and i20 AT. And none if these ticked all the boxes. Only i20 AT came closest so we went with it.
Old 5th January 2014, 18:34   #607
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Yes, 1.4 AT Gamma Petrol comes with all 4 discs and ABS.
As you rightly said, even 2 airbags would have been nice on AT. Our requirement was hatchback, AT, Airbags for all passengers, all around disc breaks with ABS and preferably ESP. However, the options were only A Star AT, i10 AT and i20 AT. And none if these ticked all the boxes. Only i20 AT came closest so we went with it.
My requirement on behalf of my parents matches yours exactly but there is absolutely NO car in the segment which comes as well loaded as that!
Even that Asta with Options - while it has Airbags for all passengers, it does not have AT and it still has only Drums at the rear. (Everyone says that being a 1.2 Petrol that is sufficient! But Im not pleased with "sufficient" because it is NOT "sufficient" for me! They could have added up the Disc Brakes and the 6 Airbags at least as an additional option I feel.
As you rightly said, the I20 is the only one which comes close to what we wanted. ESP - Ha! I wish!
It is not even in the consideration set of these manufacturers right now in this
segment. It is however, mandatory in Australia, EU and other places and has been for the last 3 years I believe.
Anyway, I guess by choosing the I 20, we have picked the best available in this scenario so lets enjoy it too.
Old 5th January 2014, 19:43   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
It's much the same as yours, I'm considering switching to the second key (in perfect condition) and getting another made as backup to replace my worn out one
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 22:11   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.5 years and 28k kms later, this is the condition of my flip key. Is it just my style of usage or anybody else facing this problem? The car is still under warranty. I am planning to ask the A.S.S for a replacement under warranty, even though I am sure there would be a negative response.
Googling led me to this link in e-bay, which makes me believe that this is a common issue else they would not have a market for it.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/hyundai-igen-...essories_parts

I've been using the car almost 3 years now for 26k kms. The flip keys are in good condition. My spare key is unused at all.

How do you keep the keys when u regularly use it?
Guess, incase if you regularly keep the keys in pocket and if you keep few other things like coins or something else, may be this could've happened. Just a guess !

-Ravi
ravib is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 11:40   #610
BHPian

I took the delivery of an i20, 1.2P Asta Variant last week.
And wanted to activate the door auto locking feature. Checked with two service advisers in the dealership (Trident Motors). They are saying its not possible in this model/variant. Is this true ?
Old 7th January 2014, 12:02   #611
BHPian

Quote:
1.5 years and 28k kms later, this is the condition of my flip key. Is it just my style of usage or anybody else facing this problem? The car is still under warranty...... whats the condition of your flips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I've been using the car almost 3 years now for 26k kms. The flip keys are in good condition. My spare key is unused at all. How do you keep the keys when u regularly use it? Guess, incase if you regularly keep the keys in pocket and if you keep few other things like coins or something else, may be this could've happened. Just a guess ! -Ravi
I think the outer layer of key is of absolutely inferior quality. My mom's i20 AT has been used only by her. It has done around 6k only in last 2 years and the rubber on the key has started falling apart. I will post the pictures soon.
Old 7th January 2014, 19:34   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ironically, there are NO Diesel I 20 versions which come with any of the super bells and whistles like 6 Airbags, Sun roof, AT etc.
For the record, when i20 was first launch the Asta (O) was available on CRDE as well. This is based on what I have read in TBHP earlier.
Old 8th January 2014, 11:21   #613
BHPian

My igen i20 has done 23k km in 1 year and 4 months. Got the car in September 2012.
Photo of my key. Guess I'm just lucky?

1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-aqdjdql.jpg
Old 8th January 2014, 11:26   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
My igen i20 has done 23k km in 1 year and 4 months. Got the car in September 2012.
Photo of my key. Guess I'm just lucky?
You don't seem to use nails to operate the buttons, while others do.

Is that correct ?
Old 8th January 2014, 11:39   #615
BHPian

I guess that's the reason. I use the full thumb.
Have always been that way. My Nokia 1100's keypad was the least damaged back in college even with furious texting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks