Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2013, 12:12   #586
Team-BHP Support

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The only main differences between the Asta and Asta (O)in the 1.2 Petrol are; 2 Airbags vs 6 Airbags + Electric Sunroof. And the cost is 50 grand more.
and IMHO its worth it.

Those are curtain airbags that protect in the event of a side collision.
The sunroof can help cool the parked car by letting the warm air escape when you start driving away.
Old 31st December 2013, 12:23   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
and IMHO its worth it. Those are curtain airbags that protect in the event of a side collision. The sunroof can help cool the parked car by letting the warm air escape when you start driving away.
Yes. The Yeti which I drive also has these side curtain airbags etc.
The sunroof is a nice thing. Works excellently in a cool climate but Im wondering is it useful in a hot climate like Madras.

Saying this, the Hyundai boys seems to reneging on the deal right now, pleading no stock. So we may be just forced to go for some other option.
Old 31st December 2013, 12:44   #588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The sunroof is a nice thing. Works excellently in a cool climate but Im wondering is it useful in a hot climate like Madras.
The car is parked in the hot sun. The air inside it gets really hot.
When the car starts to move and the AC is switched on, in a regular car we open the windows to let out this hot air.

In a car equipped with a sunroof, we tilt it open. The warm air being lighter rises and escapes from this opening. Works much faster and better than the windows.

It starts raining. Tilt open the sun roof to prevent fog buildup in front of the windscreens.

A lazy evening drive to Elliots Beach. Sun roof open with the stars for company.

As you can see I so wanted to buy this car with the sunroof.
Just that I hated everything else about it.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 12:51   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The car is parked in the hot sun. The air inside it gets really hot.
When the car starts to move and the AC is switched on, in a regular car we open the windows to let out this hot air.

In a car equipped with a sunroof, we tilt it open. The warm air being lighter rises and escapes from this opening. Works much faster and better than the windows.

It starts raining. Tilt open the sun roof to prevent fog buildup in front of the windscreens.

A lazy evening drive to Elliots Beach. Sun roof open with the stars for company.

As you can see I so wanted to buy this car with the sunroof.
Just that I hated everything else about it.
Never knew that sunroof has so many advantages.
I didn't understand the raining scenario and how sunroof prevents fog build up.
Old 31st December 2013, 13:44   #590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Never knew that sunroof has so many advantages.
I didn't understand the raining scenario and how sunroof prevents fog build up.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ance-tips.html

Now lets please get back to the topic.
The open sunroof reduces the temperature difference between the outside and inside of the car.
Helps in preventing a build up of vapour.

Last edited by bblost : 31st December 2013 at 13:48.
Old 31st December 2013, 15:44   #591
BHPian

Quote:
One more thing. I20 Asta petrol with 1.2 Kappa VTVT engine seems to come with Rear Drum brakes, despite being the top end with all bells and whistles and ABS etc. Having said that the Crdi engine and Gamma engined versions with ABS seem to come with rear disc brakes. Whats the story here? I mean, our plan is to buy the top spec Petrol engined variant but I am not pleased that it gets only drum brakes at the rear!

Also. Is my understanding of this correct?
The only main differences between the Asta and Asta (O)in the 1.2 Petrol are; 2 Airbags vs 6 Airbags + Electric Sunroof. And the cost is 50 grand more.
Is this confirmed? The i20 Petrol ASTA does not get rear discs? In my understanding ABS makes the calipers bite and release the disc at a rapid pace so how does ABS work with the rear drum brakes?
Old 31st December 2013, 15:50   #592
BHPian

I have been using my trusty ol Verna for long drives. Took i20 this time and here are my observations for a 800 km journey -

What I liked -

- Extremely efficient diesel engine, the verna used to have a tank range of 850 kms: however this car seems to be crossing the 1000 km mark in a full tank.
- The 6th cog makes it a relaxed cruiser, engine never feels stressed
- The brakes are good and takes care of keeping the car in line all times (even under extreme braking conditions)
- Light clutch keeps the knee happy
- The accelerator pedal is having the required tightness which helps in 600+ kms drive (The verna has a light pedal which results in ankle pain)
- Twin barrel head lamp works! Overall visibility is better than my HID equipped Verna

What I dint -

- Not a mile muncher like Verna 1.5 crdi. (Power delivery in i20 is lazy)
- The ECU is tuned too conservative, the car responds lethargic and takes a good 2 secs to react throttle input after gear change
- Gets Nervous with small undulations even at speeds below 80 kmph.
- Lots of body roll during turns on imperfect roads (Need to check if this is an issue with my car only)

I hope hyundai addresses the shortcomings in the next generation i20.
Old 2nd January 2014, 07:02   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzone View Post
Is this confirmed? The i20 Petrol ASTA does not get rear discs? In my understanding ABS makes the calipers bite and release the disc at a rapid pace so how does ABS work with the rear drum brakes?
Just for information: I don't want to hijack this thread further. My Dad has booked a brand new Silver I 20 Asta 1.2 Petrol Kappa engine with VTVT yesterday. The purchase is being made through Vinayaka Hyundai in Madras. This is a dealership owned by the Vinayaka Skoda guys in Bangalore. They have given us a good offer and importantly, since they are servicing my requirements well jn Bangalore and promise to do the same for my Dad in Madras, we decided to go with them. This Asta 1.2 petrol comes with ABS, EBD, 2 Front Airbags and all the other softer features of the top spec model.The I 20 Asta with Options, comes with 6 Airbags and Sunroof etc. This is not readily available since it is primarily an export version and apparently is built on order, with a waiting period of two months, if someone in India wants it. The dealer has confirmed that all I 20's come with only drum brakes at the rear, except for the 1.4 Crdi Asta and the AT sSportz, which comes with a 1.4 Gamma Petrol engine. From all the research I have done on the net, I find this to be true for India. Even the Hyundai brochures indicate as much. I would welcome expert opinions and knowledge on this disc brakes/ drum brakes thingy. Though I do know that all other cars, like Skoda Rapid, Fabia, Vento, SX4 etc, all have rear drum brakes and all of these have ABS in their top spec variants.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd January 2014 at 07:06.
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:14   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just for information: I don't want to hijack this thread further. My Dad has booked a brand new Silver I 20 Asta 1.2 Petrol Kappa engine with VTVT yesterday. The purchase is being made through Vinayaka Hyundai in Madras. This is a dealership owned by the Vinayaka Skoda guys in Bangalore. They have given us a good offer and importantly, since they are servicing my requirements well jn Bangalore and promise to do the same for my Dad in Madras, we decided to go with them. This Asta 1.2 petrol comes with ABS, EBD, 2 Front Airbags and all the other softer features of the top spec model.The I 20 Asta with Options, comes with 6 Airbags and Sunroof etc. This is not readily available since it is primarily an export version and apparently is built on order, with a waiting period of two months, if someone in India wants it. The dealer has confirmed that all I 20's come with only drum brakes at the rear, except for the 1.4 Crdi Asta and the AT sSportz, which comes with a 1.4 Gamma Petrol engine. From all the research I have done on the net, I find this to be true for India. Even the Hyundai brochures indicate as much. I would welcome expert opinions and knowledge on this disc brakes/ drum brakes thingy. Though I do know that all other cars, like Skoda Rapid, Fabia, Vento, SX4 etc, all have rear drum brakes and all of these have ABS in their top spec variants.
Congratulations on the booking. I am sure though that the CRDI Sportz also gets all wheel discs. The car is in Bangalore right now so cant confirm immediately but will check and get back after seeing as I distinctly remember seeing discs at the rear as well. Carwale does mention that the sportz variant in diesel has all wheel discs.
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:04   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post

Congratulations on the booking. I am sure though that the CRDI Sportz also gets all wheel discs. The car is in Bangalore right now so cant confirm immediately but will check and get back after seeing as I distinctly remember seeing discs at the rear as well. Carwale does mention that the sportz variant in diesel has all wheel discs.

Hey arvind71181, you can take my word for it, that:

1. I-Gen I20 Sportz & Asta comes with ABS, EBD and Alloy wheels irrespective of Petrol or Diesel.

2. I-Gen I20 Sportz & Asta CRDi gets All Four Disk Breaks.

Once of my cousin just picked up an I-Gen Sportz CRDi and this is a proof based confirmation.
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:26   #596
BHPian

As a owner of i-gen Crdi Asta owner I can confirm following

1. Two airbags
2. Disc brake on all four
3. Four alloys and spare steel
4. ABS and EBD
Old 2nd January 2014, 18:44   #597
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. Does anyone out there own an Asta 1.2 Petrol I 20? Which segment exactly does the I 20 fall into? B Segment or C Segment hatch or what?

My colleague has the 1.4 Crdi Asta and I spent some time peering at the car today and yes, it has all four disc brakes, ABS, EBD, 2 Airbags, Push button start and all the other bells and whistles.

Ironically, there are NO Diesel I 20 versions which come with any of the super bells and whistles like 6 Airbags, Sun roof, AT etc.
As far as the Petrol versions go I know that there are only two versions which are of a higher spec than the one we have booked.

One is the Asta 1.2 with Options, which basically comes with 6 Airbags and sun roof but weirdly the rear brakes are drum brakes.
The other is the 1.4 Gamma Engined Sportz AT Petrol, which ironically, comes with four disc brakes and all the bells and whistles, but idiotically, only One Driver Airbag! Now where is the logic in this? Some stupid MBA trainee wallah Excel Sheet hero must have decided on these as the ideal product mix for our country.

One thing I absolutely fail to understand is why I am not allowed to order the car with the spec I want. I am willing to pay for it, most certainly.
I really hope the market evolves much more in the next five years and that we can actually have our own car configurators!
Given a choice I would like to buy the I 20 with 1.4 Gamma Petrol engine, with Auto Transmission, 6 to 8 Airbags and all four disc brakes and of course, ABS and EBD and Brake Assist and all the rest of it. I wish they would also offer ESP like they are mandated to do abroad. Now this configuration, were I to get such a dream, would most certainly conform to those Hyundai Big Claim Bumper Stickers which talk about Euro NCAP Five Star Rating etc.

Incidentally, the hyundai website is quite poor and unresponsive, at least from the ipad.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd January 2014 at 18:54.
Old 2nd January 2014, 19:28   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ironically, there are NO Diesel I 20 versions which come with any of the super bells and whistles like 6 Airbags, Sun roof, AT etc.

One is the Asta 1.2 with Options, which basically comes with 6 Airbags and sun roof but weirdly the rear brakes are drum brakes.
The other is the 1.4 Gamma Engined Sportz AT Petrol, which ironically, comes with four disc brakes and all the bells and whistles, but idiotically, only One Driver Airbag!

Now where is the logic in this? Some stupid MBA trainee wallah Excel Sheet hero must have decided on these as the ideal product mix for our country.
Reasoning is that drums should suffice for the lower power 1.2 engine & secondly a 1.2 buyer does not really look for high performance braking/handling. The single airbag does not make sense at all (please check)

Traditionally diesels have always gotten lesser kit than petrols in the Indian market. Logic is that diesel buyer is VFM minded & price of a fully kitted diesel will enroach into the upper segment

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd January 2014 at 06:17.
Old 2nd January 2014, 19:47   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Reasoning is that drums should suffice for the lower power 1.2 engine & secondly a 1.2 buyer does not really look for rear discs. The single airbag does not make sense at all (please check) Traditionally diesels have always gotten lesser kit than petrols in the Indian market. Logic is that diesel buyer is VFM minded & price of a fully kitted diesel will enroach into the upper segment

Single Airbag it is! I have checked ad nauseam.

I do not subscribe to the school of thought about drums for the 1.2 engine.
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:45   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Single Airbag it is! I have checked ad nauseam. I do not subscribe to the school of thought about drums for the 1.2 engine.
You are correct on single airbag. We bought 1.4 L AT sportz for my mom last year and the only issue we had was this. 1.4L AT comes only in sportz trim and that doesn't offer 6 airbags.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 3rd January 2014 at 09:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks