Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2013, 13:59   #436
BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Thanks for this too. Now how does the VW Polo diesel compare in front of these two. ?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Both are very different cars. My comparisons are as a Figo titanium Owner and seen and driven tenent's i20 petrol.
Figo tdci : Old exterior design with big windows. Interiors are not as good and luxurious as i20. Engine has sufficient power and not as smooth as Swift's ddis. Handling and stability are superior and its next to Punto. Hydraulic power steering makes steering solid on 140kmph. You will not know its on that speed, but engine will sound bit harsh in this speed. The ground clearance in Figo is an issue as it scraps most big road humps. Its not that fuel efficient - 15-16kms in city & 18-19kms in Highway. You love this car if you are driving in highway. Front seats are smaller compared to i20. Space inside is good and matches i20space, though i20 has better shoulder space at back. Boot space is 284ltrs.

i20 Asta petrol: New fluidic design is okish, did not like front cut on bonnet. The best part is interiors - Luxurious, chrome door handles, gearknobs and theres bit of Chrome here and there. Chocolate and beige interiors makes upmarket feel and feels spacious. Engine is very smooth and I did not feel its underpowered for city drive. The Electronic power steering is butter smooth and you can play in fingures. This steering on highway 120-140 speeds becomes very light and not so good feeling. The speed corners cannot be taken at confience in high speeds as it has soft suspensions. Road humps are not issues even on the soft suspensions. I got to know its gives 13-14kmpl in city which is fair enough for petrol engine. Both front and rear passengers got good space. Boot is huge 290ltrs.

Conclusion: Both cars has ABS and both has good brakes, Figo's got 2 airbags while Asta has 6 airbags. Both got Alloy wheels, rear wiper and defogger, fog lamps, bluetooth stereo. What you get more in i20 is climate control AC, Electrochromic mirrors with rear camera display on reverse, heated outside mirrors, Auto sensing headlamp, rain sensing wipers, Day time running lights(DRL), multi information display, plush interiors. If most of your drive is City i20 is good due to smooth power steering and soft suspensions. If you have more highway drives, Figo is best due to hydraulic power steering and superb handling and stability. Also if yours monthly drive is 1000-1500 kms, petrol engine is suits you. Any way Diesel Fuel cost may come at par with Petrol
Old 25th February 2013, 15:56   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
Thanks for this too. Now how does the VW Polo diesel compare in front of these two. ?
VW Polo tdi looks awesome, IMO the best looking hatch in India. But its got a 3 cylinder engine, which makes the engine noise harsh. Heard and read that its got good stability at high speed, though handling is average. I have not driven this beauty. The rear seats are like a bench and not so comfortable. Its not that worth for the price we pay.

Here comes headache - VW spares are priced too high, more than i20's spares. Polo servicing is at 15k kms where other cars need service at 10k. But servicing and cost of ownership is too high.

If you still like Polo, there's Polo 1.2 supercharged 104 bhp petrol car to be launched in June. Theres 1.6 diesel tdi 105 bhp (Vento engine) to be launched in September. You can wait until then, its worth.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 19:33   #438

Thanks for all the advice. I have finally booked i20 Asta 1.2 (Bronze). They have promised to deliver the car by next week. Hope it turns out to be a good decision.

thanks,
Aadi
Old 25th February 2013, 20:07   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadi View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I have finally booked i20 Asta 1.2 (Bronze). They have promised to deliver the car by next week. Hope it turns out to be a good decision.

thanks,
Aadi
Congrats Aadi! Welcome to the i20 league. 12 days on I have found no complaints with my Sportz 1.2. I assumed it to be too weak but change your driving style a bit and you can sprint ahead easily.
Old 26th February 2013, 09:45   #440
Senior - BHPian

I think the current set of tyres and alloys on the iGen i20 Asta makes it look very miserly, if anything else. I can imagine how awesome would it look with smarter alloys and bigger tyres. Quick question - If I plonk in fatter (205 or 215) tyres and bigger alloys (16in) on the i20, would I lose warranty?
Old 26th February 2013, 10:00   #441
Senior - BHPian

Got my i20 sportz CRDi delivered yesterday (for my dad). Drove around 60 kms. Feels an upgrade compared to my old gen swift . The engine is awesome, but the steering is too light for my liking. Will put up an ownership review soon.
Old 26th February 2013, 11:38   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Got my i20 sportz CRDi delivered yesterday (for my dad). Drove around 60 kms. Feels an upgrade compared to my old gen swift . The engine is awesome, but the steering is too light for my liking. Will put up an ownership review soon.

Congrats and welcome to the 'uber life' club. i20 is definitely a upgrade from the old gen swift. The space and the interior fit and finish are top notch. The 1.4CRDi is a gem of an engine and it will serve you well over the years. Overall the car is a class apart from the swift.

The feeling of steering lightness is quite common especially since uve moved from the swift. I too went through the same phase. But I am sure you will get used to it and once you do, the swift's steering at parking speeds will prove quite cumbersome (We have both the old gen swift and the i20 at home). Ofcourse on the highway, the swift is much better. But i20 is not too bad either. However you may not notice much difference upto speeds of 120-130kmph. Speeds in excess of this is not safe in any car under Indian conditions.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 16:52   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Congrats and welcome to the 'uber life' club. i20 is definitely a upgrade from the old gen swift. The space and the interior fit and finish are top notch. The 1.4CRDi is a gem of an engine and it will serve you well over the years. Overall the car is a class apart from the swift.
Yes, this is true

Quote:
The feeling of steering lightness is quite common especially since uve moved from the swift. I too went through the same phase. But I am sure you will get used to it and once you do, the swift's steering at parking speeds will prove quite cumbersome (We have both the old gen swift and the i20 at home).
I still have my swift with me . Its a petrol though.

Quote:
Ofcourse on the highway, the swift is much better. But i20 is not too bad either. However you may not notice much difference upto speeds of 120-130kmph. Speeds in excess of this is not safe in any car under Indian conditions.
Yes, the swift should be better on the highways but for mine and my dad's speeds (maximum of a 110), I dont think it will make much of a difference. Also, did not want 2 swifts at home so went for the i20. Hope the ownership is as trouble free as the swift's has been *touches all the woods available nearby*
Old 27th February 2013, 10:41   #444
Senior - BHPian

Got back to my Swift Petrol after driving the i20 CRDi for a couple of days. When I started the car, I felt the steering to be tight and actually thought that one of the tyres has been punctured

This is the effect the super light steering of the i20 had on me!!! Got used back to my vehicle's steering in a couple of minutes but I did not imagine that the difference in steering of the 2 vehicles would be this much. I think I like the Swift's steering much more now after seeing what the i20 has to offer

The super light steering of the i20 will make it a breeze to drive in the city though
Old 27th February 2013, 13:38   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got back to my Swift Petrol after driving the i20 CRDi for a couple of days. When I started the car, I felt the steering to be tight and actually thought that one of the tyres has been punctured

This is the effect the super light steering of the i20 had on me!!! Got used back to my vehicle's steering in a couple of minutes but I did not imagine that the difference in steering of the 2 vehicles would be this much. I think I like the Swift's steering much more now after seeing what the i20 has to offer

The super light steering of the i20 will make it a breeze to drive in the city though
I had exactly the same feeling between 2 cars, but i like the i20 light steering. Pretty easy to use. Oh yea, swift is better in highways, but i20 is not bad either.

-Ravi
Old 13th March 2013, 23:19   #446

Hello TBHP'ian family,

I am planning to go for the i20 Sportz Petrol 1.2VVT and I heard that A/C performance is not that good and with that I am in a fix whether to go for this or not.

Would appreciate if one of you can share your side of stories on this.

Regards
Raghu
Old 14th March 2013, 09:20   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu26j View Post
Hello TBHP'ian family,

I am planning to go for the i20 Sportz Petrol 1.2VVT and I heard that A/C performance is not that good and with that I am in a fix whether to go for this or not.

Regards
Raghu
I got the i20 a month back, a diesel though. The A/C works fine, though it does take a little time to cool down (~5 min) if kept under a very hot sun, especially the rear. And GTO's review said that the diesel might have a better A/C than the petrol

My suggestion: Take the car on a test drive in the afternoon so that you can get to evaluate the cooling quotient of the car yourself. And make sure to have someone at the back as the major complaint with the older generation i20 was the cooling was not effective at the back.
Old 14th March 2013, 09:36   #448

Quote:
I got the i20 a month back, a diesel though. The A/C works fine, though it does take a little time to cool down (~5 min) if kept under a very hot sun, especially the rear. And GTO's review said that the diesel might have a better A/C than the petrol

My suggestion: Take the car on a test drive in the afternoon so that you can get to evaluate the cooling quotient of the car yourself. And make sure to have someone at the back as the major complaint with the older generation i20 was the cooling was not effective at the back.
Thanks a lot Aravind. I am yet go for the test drive.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:28   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu26j View Post
Hello TBHP'ian family,

Regards
Raghu
I have an old-gen i20 (P) from the last 2 years and trust me, until now no-one, front or back complained about the AC performance in the car, not even during peak 40+ summer temperatures that Hyderabad experiences. Sure, it does take time to cool compared to our swift but once it does there is no issues at all. The auto AC works like a charm.

The trick in the hot afternoons is to roll down the windows to let fresh air pass into the cabin with the AC in auto mode running at its lowest setting (full blast). Once all the hot air goes out, close the windows and run the Auto AC in the same setting for 5-10 mins in fresh air mode. The cabin cools quickly in such a scenario. Once you feel the cabin has cooled down, you can run the AC in recirculation mode again setting the temperature as desired.
Old 14th March 2013, 15:01   #450

Quote:
I have an old-gen i20 (P) from the last 2 years and trust me, until now no-one, front or back complained about the AC performance in the car, not even during peak 40+ summer temperatures that Hyderabad experiences. Sure, it does take time to cool compared to our swift but once it does there is no issues at all. The auto AC works like a charm.

The trick in the hot afternoons is to roll down the windows to let fresh air pass into the cabin with the AC in auto mode running at its lowest setting (full blast). Once all the hot air goes out, close the windows and run the Auto AC in the same setting for 5-10 mins in fresh air mode. The cabin cools quickly in such a scenario. Once you feel the cabin has cooled down, you can run the AC in recirculation mode again setting the temperature as desired.
Hello ASH Racer, thanks for sharing your experience. It definately increases my want to go for the i20.

Regards
Raghu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks