Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 10:02   #421

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
Test drove the i10 Kappa , Polo petrol and diesel. HMP says they dont have an i20 diesel test drive vehicle , which is super hilarious . But , I think we ( the wife and self) are both bowled over by the Polo's finish , build and suspension. I mean there is nothing tacky / plasticy there. The engine is pretty good too , because one cant make out that its a 3 cylinder ! Servicing cost first year / 15k is INR 8500 ( 6K for the oil , 2K for the filters and 1.5K for the alignment)

Now that we ve pretty much homed in on the vehicle , which version ? Trendline / Comfortline. Dont know whether its worth spending the extra money on the Comfortline. So from owners , please advise

Also another pal suggested that if you're spending so much money on the Polo , why don't you expand and go for the Vento / Rapid !!!!!
If you want a plush city riding experience and a feature-laden car, go for the i20. If you occasionally take the car out on highway runs or are an involved driver, avoid.
Old 9th February 2013, 14:22   #422
BHPian

Hi guys, need your help, I'm interested in the i20 AT, but the sportz trim does not have a seat-height adjust option. Can the Asta variant's driver seat be fitted in the Sportz variant ? One dealer says its possible but another says it is not, is it a good idea to do it ? what do you think
Old 12th February 2013, 05:55   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
Hi guys, need your help, I'm interested in the i20 AT, but the sportz trim does not have a seat-height adjust option. Can the Asta variant's driver seat be fitted in the Sportz variant ? One dealer says its possible but another says it is not, is it a good idea to do it ? what do you think
Logically I do not see any issues.

But logic seldom prevails at auto dealerships.

One thing for sure it will be a costly retro fit if done.
Old 18th February 2013, 14:11   #424
BHPian

Has any service center been able to activate autolock at speed for the facelift i20?
Old 18th February 2013, 15:01   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
I had the same question when I was to buy our i20. The Sales guy informed me that there was no way I could get a Sportz version and get the seat height adjustment retrofitted in that. Asta was only selected because that was the one available with this feature as stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Nomad View Post
Logically I do not see any issues.

But logic seldom prevails at auto dealerships.

One thing for sure it will be a costly retro fit if done.
I agree. Even if the dealer denies it's possible, I think it can be done from some aftermarket accessory shops. But then again, as you mentioned it would be a costly aftermarket job and I would doubt its reliability. Also the fact that it might void off your warranty for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Has any service center been able to activate autolock at speed for the facelift i20?
This question has been asked quite a lot of times before and I believe the answer to that is "No". I had an inherent interest in getting this option enabled, but from what I spoke to the tech head at one of the Hyundai workshops, it's not possible on the new gen i20, and there are no chances it will be in the future (atleast on this model). Nada.
Old 18th February 2013, 15:14   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
This question has been asked quite a lot of times before and I believe the answer to that is "No". I had an inherent interest in getting this option enabled, but from what I spoke to the tech head at one of the Hyundai workshops, it's not possible on the new gen i20, and there are no chances it will be in the future (atleast on this model). Nada.
Answer is Yes for only for Asta(O) variant.
The new i20 Brochure says that 'Speed Sensing Auto Door Lock' is available on the Asta(O) variant.
Old 18th February 2013, 15:25   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I had the same question when I was to buy our i20. The Sales guy informed me that there was no way I could get a Sportz version and get the seat height adjustment retrofitted in that. Asta was only selected because that was the one available with this feature as stock.

I agree. Even if the dealer denies it's possible, I think it can be done from some aftermarket accessory shops. But then again, as you mentioned it would be a costly aftermarket job and I would doubt its reliability. Also the fact that it might void off your warranty for that matter.
I wonder why companies can't offer it in all variants - is it too expensive to add ? or difficult to incorporate in the design ? and that too on a car which costs close to Rs 10L - i20 AT.

In my case one of the dealers mentioned he can get it done from the factory for an additional 20k, but two other dealers said it cannot be done at all. Not sure whom to believe.
Old 19th February 2013, 15:00   #428
BHPian

I have a question for all i20 1.2 Bangalore owners.
Have you taken a trip to Nandi Hills in your i20 1.2 with load of 4 adults? Was it able to manage on those few steeper sections with ease? I have been there couple of times in my i10 (2 adults) but am not sure if my new i20 will be able to manage this well with full load. Please provide me your feedback and advice on this.

(Mods, please move to correct thread if required but I was not able to find the answer anywhere).
Old 19th February 2013, 18:34   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
I have a question for all i20 1.2 Bangalore owners.
Have you taken a trip to Nandi Hills in your i20 1.2 with load of 4 adults? Was it able to manage on those few steeper sections with ease? I have been there couple of times in my i10 (2 adults) but am not sure if my new i20 will be able to manage this well with full load. Please provide me your feedback and advice on this.

(Mods, please move to correct thread if required but I was not able to find the answer anywhere).
Not only in Nandi Hills, even in steeper roads in bangalore or in most of the ghat roads, i20 1.2 (Petrol) really struggles to pull the car with full load and its worse when A/C is ON. You would most likely end up using 1st gear to pull through. On the other hand, i10 is comparatively lesser in car weight compared to i20, but has same engine, so it can manage better than i20 in steeper roads.

-Ravi
Old 20th February 2013, 08:37   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a question for the i20 Diesel owners. Does the 1.4 litre diesel engine come with a Fixed Geometry Turbo or a Variable Geometry Turbo.
Old 20th February 2013, 09:59   #431
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the i20 CRDI sportz version yesterday. The car had 9900 kms on the odo but it did not look that old. Think the vehicle will age well. The pick up was good. The steering was very light but did not find it to be bad to be honest. Probably I like lighter steerings

AC was nice and cooled well, though since I took the drive at 5PM, this should be taken with a pinch of salt. Coming from the older swift, the interiors are a class apart and my dad was really pleased with it. The engine is also very nice with great pick up and the way it surges forward on throttle input is amazing.

Tried parking with the reverse camera but was not able to get the hang of it. Preferred to look back and do the parking. Maybe will help once I get the hang of it.

Overall a very satisfactory experience and the booking is going to go through sometime today or tomorrow. Thanks to the forum for the all round feedback provided about the car
Old 20th February 2013, 10:00   #432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I had a question for the i20 Diesel owners. Does the 1.4 litre diesel engine come with a Fixed Geometry Turbo or a Variable Geometry Turbo.
It's a Variable Geometry Turbo unit.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:51   #433

Hi,
<i20 Asta Petrol vs Ford Figo Titanium diesel>

I am in a complete confusion now. I am planning to buy a hatchback. My usage is typically around 1000~1200kms per month( pre-dominantly city use but occasionally highway use). I am planning to keep the car for atleast next 5 years. I had almost zeroed in on i-20 Asta Petrol as I was very impressed with the features, though the engine is bit underpowered. Then I happened to pass infront of Ford Showroom where I TD the figo diesel. Handling of the car is quite good but it has pale interiors with no fancy features. But the cost of the top end disel figo is same as i20 Asta petrol. Now I am in dilemma to choose the best option. Should I go with i20 Asta petrol - and be satisfied with features which will keep the car upmarket for atlest next 3 years or should i consider disel figo as its cost effective and value for money. Confused

Please Advice
aadi
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:02   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadi View Post
Hi,

I am in a complete confusion now. I am planning to buy a hatchback. My usage is typically around 1000~1200kms per month( pre-dominantly city use but occasionally highway use). I am planning to keep the car for atleast next 5 years. I had almost zeroed in on i-20 Asta Petrol as I was very impressed with the features, though the engine is bit underpowered. Then I happened to pass infront of Ford Showroom where I TD the figo diesel. Handling of the car is quite good but it has pale interiors with no fancy features. But the cost of the top end disel figo is same as i20 Asta petrol. Now I am in dilemma to choose the best option. Should I go with i20 Asta petrol - and be satisfied with features which will keep the car upmarket for atlest next 3 years or should i consider disel figo as its cost effective and value for money. Confused

Please Advice
aadi
My recommendation is, since your monthly driving is more than 1000 kms, better go for diesel.

BTW I own i20 Asta Petrol, and i really really love the car. But buying a petrol car makes sense, only if your annual kms driving is less than 10k kms. In your case, it makes sense to buy diesel.

My 2 cents... but you are the best judge to decide for yourself

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 22nd February 2013 at 11:03.
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:38   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadi View Post
Hi,

I am in a complete confusion now. (snip)
Now I am in dilemma to choose the best option. Should I go with i20 Asta petrol - and be satisfied with features which will keep the car upmarket for atlest next 3 years or should i consider disel figo as its cost effective and value for money. Confused

Please Advice
aadi
Both are very different cars. My comparisons are as a Figo titanium Owner and seen and driven tenent's i20 petrol.
Figo tdci : Old exterior design with big windows. Interiors are not as good and luxurious as i20. Engine has sufficient power and not as smooth as Swift's ddis. Handling and stability are superior and its next to Punto. Hydraulic power steering makes steering solid on 140kmph. You will not know its on that speed, but engine will sound bit harsh in this speed. The ground clearance in Figo is an issue as it scraps most big road humps. Its not that fuel efficient - 15-16kms in city & 18-19kms in Highway. You love this car if you are driving in highway. Front seats are smaller compared to i20. Space inside is good and matches i20space, though i20 has better shoulder space at back. Boot space is 284ltrs.

i20 Asta petrol: New fluidic design is okish, did not like front cut on bonnet. The best part is interiors - Luxurious, chrome door handles, gearknobs and theres bit of Chrome here and there. Chocolate and beige interiors makes upmarket feel and feels spacious. Engine is very smooth and I did not feel its underpowered for city drive. The Electronic power steering is butter smooth and you can play in fingures. This steering on highway 120-140 speeds becomes very light and not so good feeling. The speed corners cannot be taken at confience in high speeds as it has soft suspensions. Road humps are not issues even on the soft suspensions. I got to know its gives 13-14kmpl in city which is fair enough for petrol engine. Both front and rear passengers got good space. Boot is huge 290ltrs.

Conclusion: Both cars has ABS and both has good brakes, Figo's got 2 airbags while Asta has 6 airbags. Both got Alloy wheels, rear wiper and defogger, fog lamps, bluetooth stereo. What you get more in i20 is climate control AC, Electrochromic mirrors with rear camera display on reverse, heated outside mirrors, Auto sensing headlamp, rain sensing wipers, Day time running lights(DRL), multi information display, plush interiors. If most of your drive is City i20 is good due to smooth power steering and soft suspensions. If you have more highway drives, Figo is best due to hydraulic power steering and superb handling and stability. Also if yours monthly drive is 1000-1500 kms, petrol engine is suits you. Any way Diesel Fuel cost may come at par with Petrol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks