Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2013, 14:22   #406
BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
Thanks for that .

We have shortlisted it down to i20 and the Polo. Both base models in petrol. Can you help me with the mileage in city driving ( with ac) and highway that one has actually obtained . This because the manufacturers claims tend to be under ideal conditions.

Getting the i20 fitted out with essential stuff like rear power windows etc ( which the Magna version already has) will not cost as much as buying the i20 Magna will it ?

regards
Don't know about the costs of after market power windows. May void warranty - check with the dealer first.

Between the Polo and the i20 - though the Polo is sweet looking and sturdy in feel and ride, it loses out on space and has a 3 pot engine.

On my i20, I am comfortably getting between 13 and 14.5 as avg. I drive only with the A/C or heater (currently in Delhi its very cold) on, never with the windows down. Most of my driving is the daily commute to work with a 20 km expressway section where I breeze in 5th gear.

Hope this helps
car.lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 15:14   #407
BHPian

Quote:
We have shortlisted it down to i20 and the Polo. Both base models in petrol. Can you help me with the mileage in city driving (with ac) and highway that one has actually obtained . This because the manufacturers claims tend to be under ideal conditions.

Getting the i20 fitted out with essential stuff like rear power windows etc ( which the Magna version already has) will not cost as much as buying the i20 Magna will it ?
DV5000, I'm assuming you will predominantly be driving the car in and around Mumbai. For the 1.2 i20, you can expect an in-city mileage of about 11-12 kmpl in moderate traffic. On the highway, this will rise to about 13-14 kmpl especially if you don't floor the pedal frequently.

I wouldn't recommend aftermarket power windows buddy. More often than not, the fitment is messy/tacky and prone to electrical hazards. Moreover it may void your manufacturer warranty. Stretching yourself and getting the Magna with stock rear power windows may be a better alternative. Agreed it may come at a premium over the aftermarket stuff, but the peace of mid that'll come with it, will make the extra cash worthwhile.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 16:18   #408
BHPian

I agree with Omtoatom here, it is better not to opt for aftermarket fittings
Though the product maybe good, but the people who fit it are mostly untrained and in some cases they do more damage than good
And any poor wiring can lead to fuse getting blown or burnt wiring (speaking based on experience with after market fog lamps)
And yes, as some said this thread has been here for some time and hence can people share their comments based on their experience with the new igen i20, i am seriously considering the i20 asta pertrol
Old 18th January 2013, 11:55   #409
BHPian

Thanks again. Magna it is for starters. Now , another confusion.

I have been told by bro- in- law that his pals in Delhi dont get more than 11/ max 12 in delhi city traffic. Add to that a pal suggested that i10 Kappa ( which has the same engine as the i20) would be a better option since the car is a breeze , great mileage (16) and super on the highway. He also mentioned that i20 is not recommended unless one goes for the diesel model.

Hence , I am now vascillating between i20 / i10 kappa/ Polo.

Running costs between i10 Kappa and Polo is just 4 km/litre , which for 1000km works to 20 litres = approx Rs1400 per month. Plus Polo is a VW brand compared to Hyundai.

So you can see. Totally confused. Advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
Don't know about the costs of after market power windows. May void warranty - check with the dealer first.

Between the Polo and the i20 - though the Polo is sweet looking and sturdy in feel and ride, it loses out on space and has a 3 pot engine.

On my i20, I am comfortably getting between 13 and 14.5 as avg. I drive only with the A/C or heater (currently in Delhi its very cold) on, never with the windows down. Most of my driving is the daily commute to work with a 20 km expressway section where I breeze in 5th gear.

Hope this helps
Old 18th January 2013, 12:53   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again. Magna it is for starters. Now , another confusion.

I have been told by bro- in- law that his pals in Delhi dont get more than 11/ max 12 in delhi city traffic. Add to that a pal suggested that i10 Kappa ( which has the same engine as the i20) would be a better option since the car is a breeze , great mileage (16) and super on the highway. He also mentioned that i20 is not recommended unless one goes for the diesel model.

Hence , I am now vascillating between i20 / i10 kappa/ Polo.

Running costs between i10 Kappa and Polo is just 4 km/litre , which for 1000km works to 20 litres = approx Rs1400 per month. Plus Polo is a VW brand compared to Hyundai.

So you can see. Totally confused. Advice.
We have an i10(2009) sportz model which has run some 35000 kms. I have driven it in highways from chennai to bangalore loaded with brim. If you are not a person who will try speeds more than 80 then you can very well prefer to go for i10. No doubt i10 is one of the best commuter in its segment and its one of the best cars to be used in city, but remember its a class below i20. Even though you see that the engines used are similar, there are other things like the wheel base, the rim /wheel size that these cars posses which are the few that will decide the handling factor. If you go about thinking only on mileage then i10 can be picked upon but remember it will be just a diff of 3kms or so between i10 and i20. Customer service in Hyundai is good compared to the volkswagen.
I really don't know about POLO in petrol version. One of my colleague has the diesel version and it possess excellent driving and handling characteristics. But seating ergonomics are not that best compared to i20 and I see he talks about costlier maintenance. Yes, hyundai is little bit costlier to maintain compared to maruti, but I guess it should not be as costly to a volkswagen. People who own both can correct me, if i am wrong.
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 15:24   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would agree with the FE figures of 11/12 of the i20 petrol. Stop and go traffic would only make it worse. However, it also depends on your driving style. If you're light-footed you can easily squeeze out 13-14 kmpl from the Petrol i20. Obviously, the diesel power plant would come up with better FE figures in city traffic.

As for your last statement, I would not completely agree without knowing your theory behind going for the diesel variant. "Not recommended" is very vague unless ofcourse your daily driving is a lot and that's when diesel turns out to be cheaper. Otherwise, the i20 petrol cannot be outrightly dismissed! Do take a TD of both the cars and decide for yourself.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 17:06   #412
BHPian

We have an i10 in the family as well - Auto variant, and it is incredibly nippy and traffic friendly (gets into small spaces very easily, easy to park). I don't like it on the expressway though - somehow feel more confident in the i20.

If you do not need the space and can live with the styling, etc. then the i10 is a very good option. The Polo is nice but just not happy with their engine. Wish they get a 4 cyl TSI in.
car.lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 13:00   #413
BHPian

Test drove the i10 Kappa , Polo petrol and diesel. HMP says they dont have an i20 diesel test drive vehicle , which is super hilarious . But , I think we ( the wife and self) are both bowled over by the Polo's finish , build and suspension. I mean there is nothing tacky / plasticy there. The engine is pretty good too , because one cant make out that its a 3 cylinder ! Servicing cost first year / 15k is INR 8500 ( 6K for the oil , 2K for the filters and 1.5K for the alignment)

Now that we ve pretty much homed in on the vehicle , which version ? Trendline / Comfortline. Dont know whether its worth spending the extra money on the Comfortline. So from owners , please advise

Also another pal suggested that if you're spending so much money on the Polo , why don't you expand and go for the Vento / Rapid !!!!!

Last edited by darthvader5000 : 20th January 2013 at 13:04.
Old 21st January 2013, 07:58   #414
BHPian

@darthvader, Polo and i20 are different types of vehicles totally
If you want the driving pleasure it has to be a Jazz / Punto, they also have good build quality
But i20 is preferred when u want a plush ride, it has a relatively softer suspension setup and is meant for the job
I mentioned Punto since you mentioned the Polo,
Just take a test ride of the above cars as well,

Cheers
shridhar.s.i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:18   #415
BHPian

Hi, I am planning to buy 3D mats for my 2013 i20 Sportz. Could someone confirm whether the floor layout is the same between the old and new i20?

Is there a dead pedal in the old i20 as well?
xuv2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:28   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuv2390 View Post
Hi, I am planning to buy 3D mats for my 2013 i20 Sportz. Could someone confirm whether the floor layout is the same between the old and new i20?

Is there a dead pedal in the old i20 as well?
Yes there is a dead pedal in the old i20 as well.
Old 1st February 2013, 12:47   #417
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am posting this on behalf of a cousin who is considering buying a i20 Petrol ASTA. He likes the car in every aspect except the DRL's. Now what he wants to know is, Is there a way to disable or remove the DRL's? He is going to go for the Hyundai showroom and check if they have a way out or IF they have a previous model in stock by any chance.

In the mean time, if experts here could guide me it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 1st February 2013, 23:07   #418
BHPian

I guess they are still selling models without the DRLs. The petrol versions available without the DRL were Sportz, Asta, Asta(O) and Sportz 1.4 AT.
As of 25th Jan the on-road price for 1.2 Asta was 7,65,839/- in Trident Bangalore (compared to 7,77,623/- with DRLs).
Please Check for price changes with dealer. The news today said Hyundai increased prices upto 20,000/- with immediate effect.

1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-image1852697892.jpg
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 18:36   #419
BHPian

If i understand correctly based on many review and comments, the DRL's are an option (a costly one) and showrooms are still offering cars without DRL's as well
Though i personally feel they may look tacky to some but the design grows on you over some time and they are well integrated into fogs saving aftermarket wiring and drilling holes etc.
Old 4th February 2013, 12:26   #420
BHPian

Hi ,

I test drove the Brio. Quality of interiors very tacky. Plus doesnt match the Polo at all. So its a no no. Punto ,I am not sure having read horror stories about their after sales , pricey plus un reliable . Jazz . Hmm... does it come in the same league as the Polo ? Any Jazz owners here ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
@darthvader, Polo and i20 are different types of vehicles totally
If you want the driving pleasure it has to be a Jazz / Punto, they also have good build quality
But i20 is preferred when u want a plush ride, it has a relatively softer suspension setup and is meant for the job
I mentioned Punto since you mentioned the Polo,
Just take a test ride of the above cars as well,

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks