Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2022, 19:28   #3346

Re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Hello guys,

I have a 2015 model Suzuki Eritga ZXI (Petrol),
Currently, the odometer has a reading of about 44xxx kilometers, and the car has been serviced by authorized Maruti service centers only.

I wanted to know the RPMs at about 80 Km/H, 100 Km/h, and 120 Km/h.
I search the RPMs thread but could not find one for a Petrol Ertiga.
My car runs at 2700 RPM at 80 Km/h and 3100 RPM at 100 Km/h and I feel that it is unusually high. I have started driving the car recently and that's when i observed this

If the RPMs are above normal what could be the reasons for this and how to fix it?
Old 22nd December 2022, 15:40   #3347

Upgrade existing or sell/lateral upgrade?

I have a 2012 manufactured, 2013 registered Maruti Ertiga VDI, done 136,000Kms. I bought this car for Rs. 200,000/- in October 2020 at 105,000kms, from my in-laws family but the car was pretty abused (outer body + suspension), driven by at-the-least 7-8 people including family members and drivers.

I got this Ertiga as an interim car after an impulse sale of my well-maintained 2015 TATA ZEST XT-D Manual, Red Colour in August 2020; got 50% of the purchase price. My ZEST served me pretty well and covered 98,500kms by March 2020 (till first lockdown). It was a nice, well-built car and except for the Thermostat Housing Failure break-down, I had no-issues or complaints, no-rattles either.

Though bought as an interim car, I started to appreciate the Ertiga for it offered in-terms of versatility, ease to drive, lower spares & maintenance costs, comfortable/sturdy/fuel efficient (80-90Kmph speed range), and I am fine with the ‘average’ outright power with full load.

Since October 2020 to till-date, the following have been replaced in Maruti Ertiga at a FNG and the engine oil and filter were changed every 10,000km at the same FNG, the most recent was done at 135,000kms. For the previous 2 oil changes, used Motul 8100-X-cess 5W40, fully synthetic oil and very satisfied with this oil.
  • Rear Shock Absorbers – replaced
  • Front lower arms (both sides) - replaced
  • Tie-Rods – replaced
  • EGR and Intercooler – “cleaned” at 115,000kms
  • Thermostat Housing replaced – infamous known issue with the 1.3L Fiat Engine cars; my 2015 TATA Zest QJET-90 (sold) had it too.
  • Timing chain + tensioner (the guides were OK- not replaced) – replaced at 115,000kms
  • Clutch plates – replaced at 110,000kms
  • Gear oil, Oil Seal, Calliper Pins, Air & Fuel Filter – replaced
  • Engine A-mount (RHS) – replaced at 135,000kms
  • Steering Box (full unit) – replaced at 135,000kms

Upgrades include:
  • Black steering wheel with horn pad (prev-gen Celerio’s)
  • Black steering column case/cover
  • Black gear knob and boot (Baleno’s)
  • Pioneer touchscreen head-unit - DMH-Z5290BT
  • Headlight relay upgrade – much needed and most useful upgrade
Damage to wallet, for the above Replacements/Services (oil service included)/Upgrades (Pioneer HU), was up to Rs. 100,000/-, over 2 years, including the FNG labour charges.

Current issues / problems with the Ertiga:
  • In spite of the suspension work, it does not feel tight to drive
  • Each and every body panel has a dent(s); both the bumpers have Tears and Cracks and are screwed to the bumper holders.
  • Wheel Well linings might need replacing
  • Audio speakers are on the way out
  • Seat belts are clumsy and front seat ones don’t wind back.
  • Floor carpet is clumsy – currently it is a plastic laminate carpet.
  • Boot door Rattles and more rattles everywhere
  • Cracked driver door interior trim
  • Cracked RHS Tail lamp
  • Headlamps are faded with hairline cracks
  • Lastly, it does not have safety features like airbags, stronger body etc, though it has ABS.

Currently we have the following cars at home:
  • 2012 Maruti Ertiga VDI – 136,000kms (beater car, was my daily driver till June 2022)
  • June 2020 – Toyota Glanza V-CVT – done 17,000Kms (my current daily driver)
  • Feb 2015 – Mercedes Benz W212 E-Class 250 CDI – done 46,000kms (show-off car)
My usage is 20-25,000Kms/year and I prefer a diesel, sturdy, reasonable ground clearance and a comfortable vehicle. Glanza is not comfortable for my daily 75kms drive; too stiff and the CVT is not that powerful.

Now the question is – what to do with the Ertiga, should I spend more money and get the niggles, minor repairs, full denting & tinkering work, fresh coat of paint, spruce up the Interiors; make them all-black interiors etc. and new audio speakers & damping?

The above works might cost around 1-1.30L; is it worth spending this amount on a 2012 Ertiga. Eventually, I would like to move on to an Electric or Hybrid car in a couple of years,

Or Sell it, might get around 3L and add another 7-8L to get used Creta/Hexa/Marazzo or something similar till the electric/hybrid cars become a norm. I am not really keen on a brand new Fossil fuel car, due to, (1) - the suitable ones are not less than 20-25L (on-road) and (2) - it’s anyone’s guess as to how much these new cars would be worth in the 3-5 years’ time.

My Dad says, start using the E-class as it getting older and he will use the Glanza, as his daily usage has reduced off-late and he also says, not to spend much on the Ertiga and leave it as a beater car. Currently, my dad, my wife and I drive regularly.

Please share your opinions and suggestions.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-dsc01480.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-dsc01488.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-dsc01482_t.jpg  

Avi_Torq is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 18:04   #3348
BHPian

I think the only objective question over here is whether you can use this car (after body work and further updates) for atleast couple of years and then directly switch to an EV. There are way too many things that can go wrong, which you can't anticipate/control today. For example, while your state does not have the 10/15 year old for older cars, in few cars, the government may impose it in other states as well for accelerating the transition and may be due to air pollution level across India.

Buying and maintaining car is sentimental to a large extent, currently, you may be able to sell it at a no-profit/no-loss, might as well look for another pre-owned beater car and sail through 5 years, which will be a good enough time to switch to an EV.

Feel free to ignore this post as well. :-)
youknowitbetter is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 20:22   #3349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi_Torq View Post
Eventually, I would like to move on to an Electric or Hybrid car in a couple of years,
Considering your daily usage and your interest in EV/Hybrid, why not sell this car and go for a Nexon EV or a Grand Vitara Strong Hybrid.

Yes, the technology is not mainstream enough, but it has evolved significantly and is evolving fast. And you also might get the incentives on EV purchase now.
vignesh207 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 20:31   #3350
BHPian

Quote:

I have a 2012 manufactured, 2013 registered Maruti Ertiga VDI, done 136,000Kms.

Cheers.
If you're keen on selling it , please do let me know. My close family is on the lookout for an old ertiga for their needs.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 09:03   #3351
BHPian

If you are keen on purchasing EV in another 4-5 years, you can spen another 1.5L on this car & wait as you bought this car for just 2L. If you are looking for used car again after 4-5 years, it is better to sell now instead of spending more on 10 year old with 1.3L on Odo.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 17:24   #3352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please share your opinions and suggestions.

Cheers.
This one looks a neat vehicle from the photos and the repair works mentioned are not major. 1.3L kms is nothing for the car but spend too much only if you plan to keep it for at least 2-3 years.

There is demand for diesel cars in the market and certainly you will get more than what is quoted here.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 16:12   #3353

Guess, we are in the cusp of a massive revolution in Automotive drivetrain technology and holding on what we have currently seems to make the most sensible option, unless they are in utter bad shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
I think the only objective question over here is whether you can use this car (after body work and further updates) for atleast couple of years and then directly switch to an EV. There are way too many things that can go wrong, which you can't anticipate/control today.
I have decided to keep the car as is, and make the necessary repairs and another maintenance works as and when required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh207 View Post
Yes, the technology is not mainstream enough, but it has evolved significantly and is evolving fast. And you also might get the incentives on EV purchase now.
Guess I will wait it out until the EV/hybrid technology has evolved a bit, say 4-5 years. True that, the incentives may be gone, guess I have to take that risk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
If you're keen on selling it , please do let me know. My close family is on the lookout for an old ertiga for their needs.
Decided to hold on to it for sometime!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
If you are keen on purchasing EV in another 4-5 years, you can spen another 1.5L on this car & wait as you bought this car for just 2L. If you are looking for used car again after 4-5 years, it is better to sell now instead of spending more on 10 year old with 1.3L on Odo.
I will be buying an EV in 4-5 years, and option now is to either keep this; spend Rs 1.5L or get newer pre-owned right away. I have decided to keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
This one looks a neat vehicle from the photos and the repair works mentioned are not major. 1.3L kms is nothing for the car but spend too much only if you plan to keep it for at least 2-3 years.
Looks neat in photos but dents everywhere lol! And true 1,36,000kms, 1.3L Fiat engine could go on. We have a proof within our forum itself.
Avi_Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 17:47   #3354

Hello guys. I like to hear your opinion(s) on a plan for rear brakes of Ertiga VDi (2016).

I was wondering how much work it will take to change the rear drum brakes to a disc brake. Is it possible to buy the parts and just switch/replace it, or does it need to do some tempering for adjustments i.e. welding/cutting etc.

Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 17:02   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaseer View Post
Some more pictures with Premium Seats Covers and Wooden Interiors Styling Kits. Thanks to my friend for sending them to me.

To be launched on 24/02/16.
Where did you get this sticker? I'm not able to find it in any of the local car accessory shops, or online.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-untitled.jpg  

Old 1st November 2023, 20:43   #3356
BHPian

Guys, I want to install rear dash camera and stick it to the inside of the boot hatch window. Could you please post the picture of your boot lid wiring path. I see there is no plastic trim on inside of the boot lid top part. So don’t know how to take out the cable at the top of the boot lid.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-e8ca5441dff24c339d286f93857e126e.jpeg  

Old 9th December 2023, 19:15   #3357
BHPian

The ertiga has been a true vfm purchase. It's been 6 years 8 months and it's still munching miles.

There are a few common niggles like:
* Wierd noise from the rear AC vents/blower
* The unoccupied seats rattle on rough roads
* Strange noise from the rear drum brakes
* Another strange noise heard clearly in the cabin when the car is rocked (may be the link rods)

The strange noise when the car is rocked began after I drove over a big speed breaker at a speed of 45kms/hr as I did not see it

I suspect that it may be the tie rods or link rod and it's bushes. Will get this fixed once the noise increases or once I am sure what is causing it.

To better enjoy this car I have tried to ignore all the little niggles, however there is one issue that has bothered me over the past one week with sleepless nights over the past 3 days, it's the headlights. I have managed with the stock headlights for all my night drives within city and outstation together with the fog halogen lights which come as standard fitment.

As new age cars crowd the roads with ultra bright white led's and the upcoming infrastructure work in most cities leading to dark streets and poorly lit roads, it has become extremely difficult for me to drive at night. Given the fading of the headlight housing, scratches on the headlight lens as well as the fog lamps, poor windshield visibility with not so very clean views and rapid ageing of my car as its parked outside, exposed to rain and sun, has made driving at night a troublesome experience for me.

I am not keen on switching for a new car given the budget constraints and my present priorities. Besides, I feel that I still haven't had enough of the ertiga.

Troubled, I started going through different threads on upgrading headlights with HID/Halogens/LED's etc and after much thought and contemplation I finalized yesterday that I will upgrade to 90/100w with a headlight relay kit.

Based on the inputs shared here by Parag on this thread and other Bhpians on the auto lights upgrade thread, I went ahead with this option, as it was the simplest, cost effective and a practical DIY

The upgrade costed me INR 850/- for the Philips relay kit and INR 480/- for Philips Rally. Miscellaneous ties and insulation tape INR 50/- I purchased all these from Veer Automobiles on JC road in Bangalore.

Fitting it took about 65 minutes and it surely is much better than the OEM fitted headlight bulbs. I am happy that I have upgraded the headlights with this option on my ertiga. Sincere thanks to all of you for the same.

I haven't shared any pictures as I just followed the steps shared by Parag on this thread.

After completing this upgrade I still continue to be troubled with the headlight housing that has faded and has a lot of scratches thereby contributing to scattering the bright light from the upgrade and also making it appear like it's dim. I know that I may need to replace the headlight housing too. Will do this once I have some budget. For now I am satisfied with the 90/100w upgrade
yikes6633 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 17:24   #3358
BHPian

The next thing I would like to do is to replace the stock fog lamp bulbs to any of the following:
H8 12v 55w or H8 12v 65w or H8 12v 100w
All the 3 are available online, however I am confused if these would be a direct fit by replacing the bulb only or would it require a relay, different bulb holders etc.
Request your invaluable inputs so that I can complete upgrading the fog lamps too.
Old 26th December 2023, 14:43   #3359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
The upgrade costed me INR 850/- for the Philips relay kit and INR 480/- for Philips Rally. Miscellaneous ties and insulation tape INR 50/- I purchased all these from Veer Automobiles on JC road in Bangalore.
Our experience with the Philips relay and bulbs was very bad. Hope they don't trouble you much. However, if they do, you can replace them with the ROOTS relay kit and Halonix 90/100 or more powerful bulbs.

Our ROOTS relay kit lasted for more than 9 years and continues to do so with the new owners of our beloved Ertiga. The bulbs were replaced after frequent failures in 2018 and continue to work till today.

Also, since this is an additional set up, make sure that you keep the spare MGA Bulbs (which were earlier provided by MSIL) or similar power bulbs in spare if the relay system fails. Has happened to us many times at night and the spares have helped a lot.

To add further, service your car and keep it. There is no car as amazing as the Ertiga. Unless it shows signs of fatigue, small maintenance can keep this mile muncher running for more.
Old 27th December 2023, 16:16   #3360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
headlight housing that has faded and has a lot of scratches
You can refer to @Ashtoncastelino's thread on DIY Headlight restoration. I have tried it myself and it does make your headlight housing clearing to a good extent. The entire process will take you around 35 minutes and will slightly improve your headlight throw. I tried this on our Maruti Zen.
Link: here (DIY: Restoring Headlights at home)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks