Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 11:32   #121
BHPian

Re: The Dark Knight has arrived-Pearl Black VW Vento TDi Highline Update-1st Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Thanks for I could be inspiration to you for modding your car.

I would recommend Philips since they are easily available and cheaper than Osram.

Let me know if you have any other query.
Thanks el lobo. I will go for the crystal vision 4300k since I want to make it look oem. Have seen many fortuners with bright white lights which hurt the eye and don't look good either. I checked up the distributors list on philips site and As I live in Juhu their Andheri Dealer will be nearer for me. Will post pics of my mod as soon as I do it. Thanks again!
Old 4th June 2012, 20:27   #122
BHPian

Re: The Dark Knight has arrived-Pearl Black VW Vento TDi Highline Update-1st Service

Quote:
Since it was 7:45 am, no hardware shop would be open, which could help me out. Packed up Karcher and put back the wheels on RHS.

End of story. No high pressure cleaning today. What now, there has be some way.
You could use 'Meguiars HOT RIMS All Wheel Cleaner' with bottle clean brush for cleaning inside the alloy wheel. Then use Karcher to clean would get better results, by this you could save time for removing and fixing the wheel back.

I got this recently when my mothers wheel cleaner got exhausted, it does the job.

Please post some pics after fixing the new antenna.
Old 4th June 2012, 22:31   #123
Senior - BHPian

Changed Vento Long Antenna to Short Stubby one.

Vento's long antenna has been a sore point considering it looks quite outdated when modern car have Shark-Fin antenna and while covering the car with DuPont Tyvek cover, it used to cause trouble, so change was inevitable.

Few days back purchased Vento Short Stubby antenna from United Customz on eBay for Rs. 625 with shipping. Received it within 48 hrs of placing order.

Installed it yesterday and it definitely looks far, far better than previous long antenna. It gives the car a macho look.

The radio reception is the same, no difference in quality and the part is original Volkswagen part. It is imported from VW Shanghai. Part no. is 6RD 035 849.

Few pictures:

The eBay seller & original VW packaging.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03290.jpg

VW packaging, another look.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03287.jpg

Part number & its a VW Shanghai import.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03289.jpg

Comparison with the older long antenna.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-03062012651.jpg

Finally installed.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-03062012653.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Please post some pics after fixing the new antenna.
Your wish is my command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
You could use 'Meguiars HOT RIMS All Wheel Cleaner' with bottle clean brush for cleaning inside the alloy wheel. Then use Karcher to clean would get better results, by this you could save time for removing and fixing the wheel back.

I got this recently when my mothers wheel cleaner got exhausted, it does the job.
I have looking out for Meguiars HOT RIMS All Wheel Cleaner & Megs Endurance tyre spray for long, but they are unavailable here in Mumbai. Contacted Meguiars, who forwarded it to 3M Car Care. 3M imports products directly from USA and distributes them across all its Car Care franchise in Mumbai. Currently its unavailable.
Another problem that has arise, is my ONR bottle is almost finished and currently that too is unavailable in 32 or 128 oz bottle in India. So visited 3M Care Care and got Megs Quick Detailer & Megs Leather Vinyl Cleaner & Conditioner.

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc03292.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 08:41   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Changed Vento Long Antenna to Short Stubby one.

Thanks el lobo. I too ordered for the same one from united customz. It turned up yesterday. Will give it a go during this week.
Old 12th June 2012, 17:54   #125
Senior - BHPian

Car detailing like never before.

Note : Firstly of all apologies since, with every car detailing comes pictures, but juggling with so many products, made it quite difficult for me keep taking pictures. But read through the entire post, its very informative. Have a bowl of popcorn ready with you, its a long one.

Most of the car lovers which we are, love our car like its another partner in our life after our wife. I'm not married yet. With the rains approaching Mumbai in the 2nd week of June, so it was a good time to detail her before the rains set in to protect the paint all throughout it. I had been waiting to do it for long with so many products purchased over the period of 1 year since I started detailing & cleaning my car on my own.

High Pressure Cleaning :
Rains came in quick that too on 1 June'12. I was a bit taken aback, since there is lot of winds blowing & rains wont help in detailing either. Earlier plan was to clean the wheel wells with my high pressure 1595psi Karcher K2.180. But with rains already there, I knew wheel wells would get dirty in just single drive on the roads. So ultimately skipped the plan & straight went detailing it and it was a very wise decision.

Proper Detailing One O One :
I have learned a lot from many fellow bhpians how to do proper detailing with some learning from reputed websites like Autogeek & Autopia. Mike Phillips video tutorial, helped a lot too. So I will describing about the whole process for the better benefit of Team-Bhp community.

Tips :
1. Have a good breakfast as its a very tedious process & if you have friends along with you, the more better.
2. Always start early morning with break of dawn as the air is all fresh and you enjoy the environment, secondly with Sun about to break in, less heat.
3. Most important, whichever process you do on the car, always start from top to bottom, which is roof to side doors. Helps a lot.
4. Always a do a small section on the paint surface, never aim to do everything in one go. Not advisable. Do a 2X2 sq-ft area at once and then progress further.
5. Ask your wifey to prepare you a very good lunch as you would be requiring it, after the detailing. For bachelors like me, mother make the best supper.

Step 1 : Washing car with car shampoo

Products used :
Car shampoo : Amway Car Shampoo Cost Rs. 245
Wash mitt : Autocraft Wash Mitt With Scrubber
Drying towel : Viking 6.25 sq-ft drying towel

Before the start of detailing, it is necessary to wash the car with car shampoo. Wash mitt helps a lot rather than using a microfiber towel as it can hold more water & foam in it. Start by dusting the car with Jopasu Car duster as it removes the dust which make it easier.

Then take two buckets one with car shampoo & other with water . Start from top i.e. roof and progress down. Splash the car with water initially to make the surface wet.

For people doing single handed : It so happens that you wash the car with shampoo and after doing the whole car you start washing it with water to remove car shampoo. But due to heat it all dries on surface leaving water marks.

So what I do is wash part by part & dry it. Say first I shampoo the roof with wash mitt. Then splash water onto the roof to remove the excess shampoo. Lastly dry the surface with drying towel. So roof is finished and I don't need to worry about water evaporating and leaving water marks. That's how I do.

Step 2 : Claying

Products used:
Clay bar : Meguiars Clay bar
Quick detailer solution : Meguiars Quik Detailer

Claying is a process which removes the bonded contaminants onto the surface. Your question, but I just did shampoo which has cleaned the surface, why do I require claying?

Well car shampoo just cleans the surface but it does not remove bonded contaminants. Claying is a simple process which removes the contaminants that are stuck to paint which you actually cannot even seen by naked eye.

After claying the car, you would be surprised how much contaminants were there on paint surface. Another benefit is surface becomes absolutely smooth to touch.

As I said earlier, do small areas & keep progressing further. Take the claybar, spray the paint surface with quick detailer(QD) & clay bar too. Start doing in long strokes in flow of wind over the car be like. Keep spraying the QD as you progress. As the clay bar picks up contaminants, keep folding it inside & kneed it. No rocket science.

Comparison between Meguiars & Mother claybar : My personal view.

The two most available clay bar in India are Meguiars & Mothers. First time purchase people have question which one to buy. Since I have used both of them, I take the opportunity to answer which one, again personal opinion.

Meguiars clay bar is better than Mothers, any day. Why?
1. Megs clay bar doesn't stick to your hands that much as the Mothers.
2. Most important, when you move the clay bar across the paint surface, it may sometime stick to the surface, due to lack of lubricity. Mothers clay bar leaves a spot onto the surface, whereas Meguiars doesn't as much as Mothers.

Claybar lubricant :

Most of bhpians would be aware that Optimum No Rinse(ONR) is not available in India currently. I had purchased a 8 oz bottle which was almost exhausted. I needed a clay bar lubricant as I already had the Megs clay bar.

Meguiars comes with their OQ which Meguairs Quik Detailer. So purchased it from 3M Car Care for Rs. 300 as it was the easier to get. Mothers comes with their own product which is Showtime detailer.

I certainly found Megs QD to be better than ONR and I only used about 200 ml of 500 ml bottle. So I still have QD for another session and even for quick detailing my car after cleaning it with Jopasu car duster. 300 rupees well spent, I guess.

Some technical gyan : Before I continue further

Where I stay its quite dusty, which place isn't. So there is a situation that when I finish claying the whole car & move onto the next product there are very high chances that the car might have some deposit of duct onto it. Which means I need to clean it again.

So to counter it, I clayed a single part, polished it, applied sealant. Then again did the same process onto the next part. This prevented any deposit of dust onto the part which was previously cleaned. Yeah I did need to juggle between variety of products, applicator pads, but it was much easier.

I didn't use Meguiars SwirlsX as the scratches were limited and where necessary I used it. Another thing I learnt is that SwirlsX works much better with a Dual Action(DA) polisher than by hands. No I don't own a DA but to break those abrasives, one surely requires a DA to do complete justice to the product.

Now lets continue to next step polish. Shall we.

Step 3 : Removing scratches, swirls

Products used:
Rubbing compound : Meguiars SwirlX

Wherever required. But mostly didn't require/performed this step.

Step 4 : Applying Polish

Products used :
Polish : Blackfire Gloss Enhancing polish
Applicator pad : Pinnacle Yellow foam pad
Microfiber : Meguiars Microwipe Polishing Cloth

I had previously purchased Blackfire products namely Gloss Enhancing Polish and Wet Diamond Paint sealant. So Gloss Enhancing Polish goes first which is then followed by Wet Diamond Paint sealant.

Use a foam applicator pad as it is much easier to apply then using a microfiber cloth. As I stated earlier work on small part at a time, not a the whole. Gloss Enhancing Polish goes on easy and apply it in long strokes in the direction of wind.

After a few minutes it hazes out and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth. It gives a slight gloss to paint and removes previously applied sealant & wax and even has filler properties to hide swirls.

Step 5 : Applying Sealant

Products used :
Sealant : Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint sealant

Nest step, sealant. Wet Diamond is an oil based paint sealant & is in liquid state. You just need a few drops of it on the applicator pad. Apply it in long strokes. After a few minutes, you would see it has hazed out & doesn't smudge, so just wipe it of with the microfiber towel.

The smoothness you achieve is too god. The paint becomes very very smooth. Since paint sealant are oxygen activated, it needs a 12 hour curing time to bond to the paint surface. But one thing is that you cannot achieve Carnauba wax like shine. You need to top up the sealant with Carnauba wax like Collinite 915, which I have with me. So decided to do it next morning as sealant needs to be cured.

After I finished up, it started raining and it was around 2 pm. Had my lunch and decided to go for a drive with family at 5 pm knowing that paint sealant was just applied. After I returned from the 40 odd kms drive, the car was all dirty up to window sill. At once I was cursing myself why did I head out for the drive, no matter now.

Next morning, I was up in the morning and cleaning the car. Since the car is black in color you cannot make out the dirt easily and drive the car around.

It took me 4 buckets of Amway Shampoo to clean the car. One thing noticed was that water was just flowing over the paint and stopping at all. Wet Diamond surely has very good water beading capabilities. I was impressed.

After I finished cleaning the car, it was waxing time.

Step 6 : Applying Carnauba wax

Products used :
Carnauba Wax : Collinite 915 Marque d'elegance wax

Again I applied this in long strokes, over a small area not aiming to do it all at once. As soon as you apply it within 3 mins just wipe it off as it dries out long it gets too hard to work out.

The shine achieved through 915 was amazing. A sealant can give you a longer protection but not the same shine as that of a Carnauba wax.

So now my car has both sealant & wax protection to boost off during the rains to protect it throughout.

Some pictures, just some : Please pardon me.

After I was finished with applying & buffing the wax, took few pics from my E72. The light conditions certainly weren't good because of the clouds & my Finnish mobile doesn't take good pics and after resizing the quality is also lost. There you go, please bare with me.

A brand new Honda Activa which we purchased few days back, giving company to my Dark Knight.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-09062012654.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-09062012655.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-09062012656.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-09062012657.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-09062012658.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-09062012660.jpg

Thank you all for reading. Hope you all do get inspired and start detailing your car too.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 12th June 2012 at 18:03.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 17:16   #126
BHPian

Thanks el lobo for the detailed procedure.
I will copy and repeat this process on my black vento but before that i have to source some of the material
i need to buy all of these..
Drying towel ( currently using some microfiber towels) , Clay bar , Quick detailer solution ( i may not as i have still ONR left and i hope i can use that here),Polish , Applicator pad , Meguiars Microwipe Polishing Cloth,Sealant and Carnauba Wax

currently it is the duster followed by ONR every day and occational wash with pipe (spraying ) ,wiping and again ONR detail plus tyre dressing with some lotion .
Old 15th June 2012, 23:05   #127

Thanks el lobo for the detailed post, especially with details of products to use for all stages, not just the waxing stage. Also, please add details on what treatment you used for the glass and plastics, which will make it a complete guide I hope to follow it some day.

One question: where did you source all products from? Automall, which is recommended for most, does not seem to stock Meguiars products.
Old 17th June 2012, 15:39   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phani View Post
Thanks el lobo for the detailed procedure.
I will copy and repeat this process on my black vento but before that i have to source some of the material
You are welcome. Good to know if I did inspire someone to start detailing their car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phani View Post
currently it is the duster followed by ONR every day and occational wash with pipe (spraying ) ,wiping and again ONR detail plus tyre dressing with some lotion .
Dusting by Jopasu & followed by ONR is a very good way of protecting & keeping the paint shinning all throughout the day. Now that rains would have started in Bangalore, how do you manage on daily basis?

These are whole bunch of products you need to purchase to do the complete procedure, but well worth it, since we love our cars. Otherwise you could even give 3M Car Care Paint Sealant treatment a try, but only thing its quite costly. In that price you could get many car detailing products to do on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ityogi View Post
Thanks el lobo for the detailed post, especially with details of products to use for all stages, not just the waxing stage. Also, please add details on what treatment you used for the glass and plastics, which will make it a complete guide I hope to follow it some day.
You are welcome & thanks for appreciating. When others ask for more information, then I feel its well worth sharing with one & all. Will put up the details for interior cleaning by tomorrow evening, stay tuned.

Quote:
One question: where did you source all products from? Automall, which is recommended for most, does not seem to stock Meguiars products.
Automall is closed now, but they might be reviving their business, sooner after a period of hibernation.

The products I have used have been purchased from following E-Business/Shops retailer.

1. Bringing Best Impex
Contact Person : Mr Sanjay
E-mail: sanjay@bringingbest.com

Products purchased:
Autocraft Wash Mitt With Scrubber, Viking 6.25 sq-ft drying towel, Meguiars Clay bar, Meguiars SwirlX, Pinnacle Yellow foam pad, Blackfire Gloss Enhancing polish, Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint sealant, Collinite 915 Marque d'elegance wax, Eurow Microfiber.

2. 3M Car Care, Mumbai

Products purchased:
Meguiars Quik Detailer, Meguiars Gold Class Leather/Vinyl Cleaner & Conditioner, Meguiars Wash Mitt.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 16:31   #129
Senior - BHPian

Interior cleaning on my Vento

As important is the exterior to make people envy of your car, same is the interior to keep yourself happy, looking at the cleaned & polished with a nice fragrance to add to the aroma & driving pleasure.

Step 1: Vacuuming

Product used:
Vacuum cleaner : Electrolux Brand

Take out the floor mats and every other object that is placed on the seats. Start from the seats and progress down towards the floor.

Few swipes across the seats & any lose dirt/dust/objects are all cleaned. Than progress towards the floor. Since Vento has beige floor which can get quite dirty, but I have Kagu 3D mats which are the best floor mats known which have kept the beige carpet very clean.

Few swipes across the floor & any lose dirt/small stones are all cleaned. Vacuuming also cleans dirt/spot which have penetrated the beige carpet.

You can even use the vacuum cleaner on the underside hood covering in diesel cars bonnet to clean it. It gets quite dirty, but few minutes of vacuuming, and it is free of dust.

Step 2 : Applying polish/protectant to the plastic parts.

Product used:
Polish/Protectant : Meguiars Natural Shine Spray, Rs. 570 purchased from 3M Car Care
Microfiber : Eurow 16X16 microfiber

First of all take a damp microfiber and wipe off the plastic surface to clean of any lose dirt & dust. Then take the Megs Natural Shine spray bottle and take few drops onto the applicator pad. This helps in preventing wastage by spraying onto the plastic surface. Few parts are as such where you cannot spray like around HU(Head Unit).

Move the applicator pad across the plastic surface which results in a restoring the natural shine of the plastic and lays a layer of protectant to protect the surface from Sun. Meguiars Natural Shine Spray contains 3M ScotchGard protectant. Later wipe off the surface with a clean microfiber to remove any excess product & give the surface a clean, shinning look.

While applying the protectant, it may happen that your yellow applicator pad turns all black, due to picking up dust/dirt. No worries, just wash with water and squeeze the pad to remove any water and use it all over again.

The surface becomes smooth & looks absolutely new. The smoothness remains for weeks. You can apply it to any plastic surface, even on the exterior black plastic. Highly recommended product.

Step 3 : Conditioning leatherette/leather seats.

Product used :
Cleaner/Conditioner : Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner, Rs. 445 purchased from 3M Car Care
Microfiber : Eurow 16X16 microfiber

Well since I have leatherette seat covers in my Vento, it is necessary to keep them clean & conditioned. Meguiars product is a combination of cleaner & conditioner in one, so no need to purchase two separate product. One product does the job of both.

Take a damp microfiber to just wipe across, to clean any lose dirt/dust particles from the surface. Take the applicator pad, and put some Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner product onto it.

Work in circular motion or long strokes, any way it suits you, nothing specific. I still use long strokes over the surface. After applying the cleaner/conditioner, use a clean microfiber to remove & clean any excess product to get a clean & smooth leather/leatherette surface.

While applying the cleaner/conditioner, it may happen that your yellow applicator pad turns all black, due to picking up dust/dirt. No worries, just wash with water and squeeze the pad to remove any water and use it all over again.

I have used it for the first time, lets see how long the smoothness of surface remains. The seats looked cleaned up & very much soft & conditioned. Another well purchased product.

Lastly clean your car mats with water & a towel. There you have it, a nice, cleaned interior.

For the nice aroma use a air freshener. Currently I'm using Refresh Dual Scented Oil Diffuser. Fragrance of two in one.

Some pictures : Yeah as usual, some.

Look at the headlight switch & wiper stalk, all black with a nice natural shine & gloss.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04259.jpg

Center console, after applying Meguiars Natural Shine Spray. Image doesn't do justice, since it has lost all the contrast.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04260.jpg

A closer look.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04258.jpg

Leatherette seats after applying Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04261.jpg

Quote:
Also, please add details on what treatment you used for the glass and plastics, which will make it a complete guide I hope to follow it some day.
The above guide should help you out and let me know if you have any further queries, would be happy to help.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 22:24   #130
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely done Rohan. Your good work with the detailing has motivated the lazybones in me so much that I also have procured some products (Meguiars Quick Detailer, some microfiber cloths, wet wipes for alloys, jopasu duster). Still looking for Meguiars Quik Wax, Quik Polish & clay these were not available with 3m car care here. I have been using the jopasu duster so far for dusting and a micro fiber cloth for interior cleaning
Old 27th June 2012, 23:15   #131
Senior - BHPian

Start of some thing new : Blind Sample

Note : This is just a start of a new idea and neither me or anyone herein have any personal gain and neither associated to any brand/company or organization.

As a person who details his own car, you purchase many products over a span of time and have many products in your inventory. How about sharing those products with others who have a same passion as you.

Blind sample is a product, which can be anything, ranging from a waterless wash sample to wax, paint sealant, clay bar, etc. You can send it over to anyone, yeah but sender bears the shipping cost. The sender gets a unbiased view about the product, since the receiver doesn't know about the product name except what it is i.e. its a paint sealant or a waterless wash sample.

So started a new idea of blind sample. Fellow bhpian @Sohail99, sent over 3 blind sample over to me, one being a waterless wash sample and other two being paint sealant. So today gave waterless wash sample a try. Later in coming weeks about paint sealants.

First Blind Sample : Waterless wash

Credits : Sohail99

I had washed the car day before yesterday with Amway Car Shampoo after a gap of 1 week, so much for water saving & there hasn't been much rain in Mumbai, thanks to El Nino effect. So the car hasn't been that dirty to warrant a proper wash, so a water-less wash would be a good alternative.

So the blind sample of water-less wash was good to use. I even have ONR(Optimum No Rinse) which too can be used as waterless wash in the ratio 1:252(ONR:Water). So made a spray bottle sample of ONR to contrast it with the other waterless wash sample.

Did the bonnet & boot and divided them 50:50 with a 3M masking tape. For both ONR & waterless wash sample used 2 different microfiber towels. Both of them gave good result.

My views.

1. Waterless wash sample gave more slickness compared to ONR, but the sample was more like a QD(Quick Detailer) than waterless wash.
2. If ONR is made a quick detailer(1:16 ratio, ONR :Water), it would give a more slickness.
3. ONR gave more reflection than the waterless wash sample, so a QD of ONR would be even better at it.

But none the less, it was a good experiment. I would let the pictures do the talking. Yeah, this time took quite a few pics, none the less.

First set of pictures :

Vento's bonnet after 48 hrs of dust.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04262.jpg

A closer look.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04263.jpg

Dusted it with Jopasu duster to remove dust.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04264.jpg

A closer look after dusting.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04265.jpg

Boot, without dusting since wanted to see waterless wash sample capability with dust.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04267.jpg

A closer look at the boot.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04268.jpg

Bonnet divided in 50:50 with 3M masking tape.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04269.jpg

Boot divided in 50:50 with 3M masking tape.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04270.jpg

ONR used on the RHS of bonnet.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04271.jpg

ONR used on the RHS of bonnet, closer look.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04272.jpg

Next set of pictures to follow. Mods sorry for back to back post but there is a 10 attachment limit.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 23:32   #132
Senior - BHPian

Final set of pictures:

Waterless wash sample used on LHS contrasting with ONR on RHS.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04273.jpg

A closer look of bonnet, waterless wash sample used on LHS contrasting with ONR on RHS.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04274.jpg

Masking tape removed, waterless wash sample used on LHS contrasting with ONR on RHS.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04276.jpg

A closer look, waterless wash sample used on LHS contrasting with ONR on RHS.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04275.jpg

Waterless wash sample used on LHS of boot.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04277.jpg

A closer look with waterless wash sample used on LHS of boot.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04278.jpg

ONR used on RHS of boot.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04279.jpg

A closer look with waterless wash sample used on LHS of boot and ONR used on RHS.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04280.jpg

Masking tape removed with waterless wash sample used on LHS of boot and ONR used on RHS.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04281.jpg

Boot after pic, nice gloss.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-dsc04282.jpg

But in the end ONR in 1:252 ratio really impressed me. The waterless wash sample gave a more slick feel but ONR in QD form would work much more better.

You all would like to know the name of blind sample, waterless wash? The sample sent over is of Indian make, Green Duck Industries, Delhi and product name is 'Waterless car wash+polish+wax". Thanks Sohail for the sample.

Thank you all for reading. Hope you all do get inspired start something like blind sample with your friends & fellow bhpians. Looking forward to suggestions & comments.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 27th June 2012 at 23:35.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 11:29   #133
Senior - BHPian

I just finished reading your ownership thread and i must say your black car is probably one of the best maintained cars on the forum. Incidentally, i bought a black Polo so your thread has been bookmarked for all things relating to detailing my car.

Have a query on the headlamps. Since its more white light than yellow, how good is the visibility at night during rains ?
I've changed the stock bulbs on my Polo to Osram NB+ as they were idle, i also wanted to change the fog lamps to something which is brighter. Any alternatives to the HB4 Bluevision or its the best ?
Old 29th June 2012, 19:43   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I just finished reading your ownership thread and i must say your black car is probably one of the best maintained cars on the forum. Incidentally, i bought a black Polo so your thread has been bookmarked for all things relating to detailing my car.
Thanks for the good words, appreciate it. Good to know to be of any help and congrats on your Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Have a query on the headlamps. Since its more white light than yellow, how good is the visibility at night during rains ?
I've changed the stock bulbs on my Polo to Osram NB+ as they were idle, i also wanted to change the fog lamps to something which is brighter. Any alternatives to the HB4 Bluevision or its the best ?
There has been very less rains in Mumbai, so haven't got a chance to know how good is the visibility. With slight drizzle and headlamps adjusted to lowest setting with fogs gives very good visibility.

Osram NB+ are very expensive bulbs and the difference found is not much to warrant such high price. Problem is Polo/Vento headlamp design is as such which doesn't give proper focus/reflection which is why Osram 60/55 stock bulbs give very less illumination. You would need to go with 100/90W bulbs to improve the illumination to aid visibility with Bosch/Hella relays as must.

Regarding the fog lamps, if you go with higher Kelvin(K) temperature bulbs i.e. BluVision comes with 4000K, the luminosity is more or less equivalent to stock yellow color bulbs. If you go with higher Kelvin temperature bulbs, brightness would increase at the same time luminosity would decrease.

My advice stay with 4000-4300K Kelvin temperature bulbs, as they are the best bet. Anything higher than that, you would curse yourself as visibility will be less but if you intend to use within city limits then it would be good for looks to kill(show off).

Always use same Kelvin temperature bulbs for both headlamps & fog lamps so as not to have any mismatch. Even change the parking light(W5W type) also to white light to give a complete effect.
Old 29th June 2012, 22:56   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
congrats on your Polo.
Thanks!

Quote:
Osram NB+ are very expensive bulbs and the difference found is not much to warrant such high price. Problem is Polo/Vento headlamp design is as such which doesn't give proper focus/reflection which is why Osram 60/55 stock bulbs give very less illumination. You would need to go with 100/90W bulbs to improve the illumination to aid visibility with Bosch/Hella relays as must.
I know Osram bulbs are not exactly good,especially on 2 lane highways. I used them in the Polo, since they were idle after the Octy got a 90/100 upgrade. My car is primarily used within city and even when it goes on the highways, its mostly during the day so not keen on a 90/100 setup any time soon as it will mean warranty issues. If my usage changes will definitely go for a better setup. I also noticed a lot less illumination with NB+ on the Polo compared to our Octy, didn't know there was a design fault.

Quote:
Regarding the fog lamps, if you go with higher Kelvin(K) temperature bulbs i.e. BluVision comes with 4000K, the luminosity is more or less equivalent to stock yellow color bulbs. If you go with higher Kelvin temperature bulbs, brightness would increase at the same time luminosity would decrease.

My advice stay with 4000-4300K Kelvin temperature bulbs, as they are the best bet. Anything higher than that, you would curse yourself as visibility will be less but if you intend to use within city limits then it would be good for looks to kill(show off).

Always use same Kelvin temperature bulbs for both headlamps & fog lamps so as not to have any mismatch. Even change the parking light(W5W type) also to white light to give a complete effect.
I want more of functionality than looks, so will stick to Bluevision and will also change the parking lights too. Will wait till you test your car's lights in the rain at night before i replace the stock fog lamps. Any idea if the fog lamp bulb type is HB4 or H8 on the Polo ? I read in our post it's H8, so the question.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks