Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 01:55   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done

First car wash after change over and in 8 days, so much for scarcity of water, knowing that tomorrow is Holi. Hoping The Dark Knight remains spot free after Holi. Will need to wash it all over again, damn.

Washed it with Amway car shampoo, which made the surface quite smooth(80% as smooth as ONR) and than a quick detail with ONR for the shine. Another new thing I learn't is that, never put shampoo first in the bucket and then water, which results in nothing but foam, instead put the shampoo after you have filled up the bucket and stir it with your hands.

Some snaps after the wash.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-p3070241.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-p3070230.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-p3070229.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-p3070232.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-p3070235.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 11:12   #77
BHPian

Nice, very well detailed thread el lobo 6061!

I noticed the K&N sticker on the boot, do you have a stock replacement filter under the hood? If so, do tell us how much of a real world difference it makes for this engine.

Thanks.
Old 8th March 2012, 14:02   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
I noticed the K&N sticker on the boot, do you have a stock replacement filter under the hood? If so, do tell us how much of a real world difference it makes for this engine.
Sorry to drop your enthusiasm but its just a sticker, no change under the hood. I had read your ownership thread of your Rapid, and seriously nice mods you have done with RD chip. Reading your thread made it clear that changing the filter may cause more damage to the turbo in long term, so retaining the stock seems the better option.

If anytime you did come to Navi Mumbai with your Rapid, let me know. Would love see the difference the RD chip makes to it in P2 mode.
Old 14th March 2012, 11:23   #79

Hey, I spoke to the Thane fellows for the hose pipe, they informed me that the part is not available with them right now, and that they have logged in a request with VW. They will inform me when it comes.

So, in principle, they have agreed to change it when it comes in (atleast that is what i gather from they saying that they have requested the part), so just wanted to know, should i ask for you as well, or do you still want to try your hand with the Nerul guys??

Also, superb write-up on DIY lights changing...even i wanted some tips on changing the head lights, not in a hurry, but want to get it done before the rains arrive, will chat with you later on this one, when i'm ready!!
nnadkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 15:11   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnadkarni View Post
so just wanted to know, should i ask for you as well, or do you still want to try your hand with the Nerul guys??
Thanks for the help Nikhil, I'm indebted. Please make it two & ask for mine too, would be great to have it done from Thane Workshop as they are aware of the situation. If they want the Vin no let me know. Registration number should do MH43AF6061. Will even get to experience Thane workshop and would have the pleasure to meet you too.

I have even written on VW Facebook page about the same and they said they would get back to me, its almost 1 week and no reply. Even asked the Nerul guys and they said they won't do it.

Another thing, just saw that my ownership thread has got a 5 star rating, thank you all.
Old 14th March 2012, 15:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the black bullet .It looks beautiful .The lines are perfect .No curvy lines .Personally I don't like any stickers.With out stickers it looks clean .Drive safe.

Last edited by black12rr : 14th March 2012 at 15:19.
Old 27th March 2012, 16:50   #82
Senior - BHPian

Renewed my Dark Knight Insurance cover which was due on 4 Apr 2012 from Bharti AXA and the premium came at around Rs. 20899 for a Zero Dep Policy with IDV value as 7.8 Lac. Got a very good deal on zero dep policy and it worked out quite cheap considering quotes that we get from dealer side.
Even saved a few hundreds as VAT is increasing from April to 12.36% than the current prevailing 10.5%, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Congrats for the black bullet .It looks beautiful .The lines are perfect .No curvy lines .Personally I don't like any stickers.With out stickers it looks clean .Drive safe.
Thanks!. The stickers look great, its the pictures which aren't doing justice to them. Many a times people do stare at the sticker when the car is idle at a signal.
Old 27th March 2012, 17:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Hey lobo

thats pretty awesome job with the cleaning/detailing you'e done! Did you really do it yourself! Too good.

Its inspiring the lazybones in me to go and clean my humble i10 once in a while. I used to wax and polish my Karizma when I rode one few years back. Even after 5 seasons when I sold it, the paint was like sparkling new!! Then got a car and became extremely lazy. Need to pull myself up.
Old 2nd April 2012, 23:27   #84
Senior - BHPian

Update : First Service at 1 yr done 2 April 2012.

Service Center : KSM Motors Nerul, Navi Mumbai.

Service Adviser SA : Mr. Viraj.

Mechanic : Mr. Ajit.

My Dark Knight was purchased on 4 April'11, so was time to get the 1st service done. Had the service scheduled for today at 10 am. Total kms covered till today 4058 Kms.

19 March 2012: Scheduling the service.

Called up KSM Motors for scheduling the service, which they did without any problems for 30 Mar'12. Due to some work constraint had it rescheduled to 2 Apr'12 on 30 Mar'12 and SA Mr. Viraj obliged and called me back after having confirming the same.

Problem: Yeah, only one but the most irritating.
As most of the VW Vento TDi owners might be aware of the hard clutch of Vento, so I had asked the SA that I need the replacement for the same under warranty FOC(Free Of Cost). SA told me that it needs to be looked up and we need to then send a DISS to VW for the part. I told him that one of my friend had got the same done on his Vento and that too FOC.
I gave him the part number and asked him to have it in stock when I would be coming for service. All this was done when I scheduled the service.

Thanks to T-Bhpian @Ricky_63 for the copy of bill which helped in knowing the part number and to show it to the SA as a proof.

Fast forward today: 2 Apr'12
Reached the workshop at 9:50 am. There were very few people and very less cars which is not case when I had visited many other times. There were at least 5 people before me who had all come earlier than me, so first come first serve.

At around 10:30 am, Mr. Viraj(SA) did a throughout checkup and opened a job card for my Dark Knight.

Asked him for the following:
To be done:
1.Battery water check - learned battery does not require water, its either charged or replaced. Modern day battery.
2. Clutch check - For the hard clutch.
3. Engine mounts - Heard recently that VW is replacing engine mounts for certain Vin no cars.
4. Door beading's - Dropped the idea later as they didn't make much difference @Souravc Vento.
5. Fuel filter - SA had told me that it was replaced under warranty FOC.
6. VAS, ECU Update - There is always some or the other update, so request for the same.

Not to be done:
1. Wheel Balancing - As car had covered just 4K, didn't make sense.
2. No wiper fluid - I have 2 bottles of that nice fragrance, so didn't require it.
3. No washing - They charge Rs. 380 for it, but I'm better at keeping my car clean.
4. No coolant - Was at max, so not required.

So at around 11:15 am my car entered the workshop and the work started on it. As I had requested SA to have the clutch hose pipe replaced, so he did say that mechanics will look into it and if deemed required will be replaced FOC. So I was of the impression it wont happen, as mechanics would be least interested. But!

At around 12 pm went into the workshop to have a peek at what was being done on my car. To my surprise, the car jacked up in the air and engine oil was being drained out of it and all the four tyres were unscrewed for cleaning the brakes front as well as rear.

So after a few minutes, new screw worth Rs. 79 is fitted onto the oil sump and car is lowered and what I see is that the engine cowl is removed. Then 5 new 1L bottles of Castrol Magnatec OE 5W-40 Fully Synthetic oil goes into the heart of my car.

Later I see the car mechanic Mr Ajit who is attending my car is fiddling, yeah that what was my impression something inside the rear of engine. I ask him what are you doing.

The reply I get is "Changing clutch hose pipe". I asked him, "Really?"
He replied with a big "Yes".

Mechanic accepted that the clutch is hard on Vento and the part is replaced if customer brings it to notice. So finally it has been done. He removed the old clutch hose pipe and drained out the old brake fluid onto the floor. Yes, he didn't put anything underneath. I asked can I see the new clutch hose pipe, the thing which I was looking forward to. Verified the part number from @Ricky_63 Vento's bill. It's same.

Few minutes later one of the mechanic comes in and says "Sir you cannot be on the workshop floor as it is not allowed and Manager is not liking it."
I say to him, "Just few minutes, let me look at the work done". So then he goes away.

Another 2 mins later, SA Mr Viraj comes in repeating the same thing. I asked 5 more minutes and I would disappear from your workshop floor.

As I was feeling all hungry, went in to grab some home made lunch. An hour later, I again sneak into the workshop to have a look at the update. Clutch hose pipe replaced, 2 bottles of brake fluid goes in and fuel filter changed under warranty FOC.

Next thing, cleaning the brake pads and putting back all the wheels back onto the car. Again I disappear from the prying eyes of manager.

Another hour later, VAS update being done. It took almost a hour to finish it.

As I had come to know that engine mounts are replaced to hydraulic ones, so asked the mechanic for the same. He checked the vin and found that my car comes under it and informed the SA. As they weren't having the required parts, so they have sent a DISS and when the parts come in they will give me a call for replacing them FOC. So engine mount is sorted out.

Vento has total of 3 engine mounts, that what the mechanic told me.

So finally the car was finished and waited to get a road test by the head mechanic Mr. Bhagwan for his approval. Being the only one to do it, it took a hour for my cars turn.

A 4 km drive to check it and everything is functioning as it should, no problems. Finally road test done.

It was almost 5 pm now. SA readied the bill and the total came out to Rs. 7544 inclusive of every tax.

Payment:
KSM motors only accept either cash or credit card. If you want to pay by cheque you need to get a authorization letter from your company on its letter head for the cheque number.
If you pay by credit card they further apply 2% surcharge onto the total amount.

By 5:30 pm all done. Thanked SA and mechanic for the work and especially for the clutch hose pipe and said to the SA that few of my T-Bhpians friends might be coming over to get the same done on their Vento. Handed over the gate pass to the security and I was off to my home sweet home.

Total time wasted, 9 hrs and peace of mind plenty.

Initial impression:
1. Drove 6 kms from the workshop till my house, clutch felt really soft. Oh yeah, at last. In coming days with more kms on the odo, clutch should get more smoother and I'm not complaining.
2. Vento pick up is definitively improved, could be due to new air filter and fuel filter. Torque is more linear and from the word go.
3. Brakes after cleaning have become even better, even better than at the day of delivery. They bite like anything.
4. Turbo swoosh is more pronounce and can be heard much more.

Did a quick detailing session on the car as I didn't get the car washed from workshop. 20 mins and the car is glittering. Would be waxing the car with Collinite 915 on either 4 or 5 April'11. So stay tuned.

Bhpians excuse me for the pics quality and as I wasn't being allowed onto the workshop so didn't get more images.
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-draining-engine-oil.jpg

Car: "El, they are messing with my innards".
Me: "Don't worry they are making you better."
Car: "Oh, yeah!".
Me:
Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-engine-without-its-cowl.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-new-clutch-hose-pipe.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-old-clutch-hose-pipe.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-fluids-car.jpg

Dark Knight has arrived! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 5th Service done-rear-brake-opened-up.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 00:00   #85
BHPian

Re: The Dark Knight has arrived-Pearl Black VW Vento TDi Highline Update-1st Service

4000km in 1 year , that's rather low by diesel car running standards ! Work/travel preventing you from driving much ?

I understand the parts were replace under warranty, but it does imply additional post-warranty expense, if it's a common issue with the clutch. Are European market Ventos also experiencing the same or is it Indian market only ?
And that's a drum brake, in the last image.
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:30   #86
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dark Knight has arrived-Pearl Black VW Vento TDi Highline Update-1st Service

Drove my car today for 30 kms and I must say, my Dark Knight fells very different. The clutch is way smooth now and no more hard clutch problem. The biggest problem I used to face while changing from 1st gear to 2nd and many a times there used to jhatkas, which is not the case now. Clutch pedal goes in and releases very smoothly. My left leg is feeling all the more happy.

I definitely recommend all the pre-refreshed Vento TDi owners to have clutch hose replaced FOC under warranty, you all would be surprised by the difference it makes.

Waiting for engine mounts to come in and have them too done as I do feel certain amount of engine vibration being felt on the steering wheel while I was idling it 1 min before turning off the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
4000km in 1 year , that's rather low by diesel car running standards ! Work/travel preventing you from driving much ?
Vento is personal car and used very sparingly. Because of the rising fuel cost we went in with it instead of Honda City VMT and both of them costed the same in Dec'10. I don't regret my decision as visit to service center is just once in a year and driving pleasure of 250NM torque is wicked, which I wouldn't have got in the Honda City.

Quote:
I understand the parts were replace under warranty, but it does imply additional post-warranty expense, if it's a common issue with the clutch. Are European market Ventos also experiencing the same or is it Indian market only ?
The parts replacement weren't obligatory and one can continue with the previous clutch hose pipe. Only when bought to notice, VW will replace under warranty. Neither of the parts have any affect on the car in long term.
Actually I liked VW as it is replacing the parts knowing older ones don't cause any troubles.

Quote:
I made a typo and wrote it as disc, it's the drum brake at the rear.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 3rd April 2012 at 15:31.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:03   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Update : First Service at 1 yr done 2 April 2012.
Asked him for the following:
To be done:
1.Battery water check - learned battery does not require water, its either charged or replaced. Modern day battery.
2. Clutch check - For the hard clutch.
3. Engine mounts - Heard recently that VW is replacing engine mounts for certain Vin no cars.
4. Door beading's - Dropped the idea later as they didn't make much difference @Souravc Vento.
5. Fuel filter - SA had told me that it was replaced under warranty FOC.
6. VAS, ECU Update - There is always some or the other update, so request for the same.
Did they changed the A/C filter and was there any change in cooling effect?

I was expecting VW to inform us on whats needs to be replaced FOC and their priority. So far we haven't heard anything from them.

But I happy that most of the initial issues are fixed now. Like the noise issue and clutch issue.

Any more details on the reason for engine mount replacement??

Also I heard wheel balancing needs to be done only in VW service center.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 3rd April 2012 at 18:04.
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:54   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Did they changed the A/C filter and was there any change in cooling effect?
Yes, they have changed the dust and pollen filter. Earlier there was a foul smell emitting for a few seconds when ACC was turned on which has now vanished. AC surely has become better and chills easily, due to new filter.

Quote:
I was expecting VW to inform us on whats needs to be replaced FOC and their priority. So far we haven't heard anything from them.
VW is not informing might be as changing the parts is not necessary and the older parts don't cause harm in any way. Only when bought to notice or if you go for service and the SA checks up the Vin no, he would suggest to get the parts be replaced under warranty FOC.

Quote:
But I happy that most of the initial issues are fixed now. Like the noise issue and clutch issue.
Yes, the clutch was the only issue I was having with my car and it has been sorted out finally by replacing the clutch hose pipe.

Quote:
Any more details on the reason for engine mount replacement??
Could be due to noise on rough roads, that's what SA told me and because of the vibration felt inside the cabin. Would be getting it done shortly.

Quote:
Also I heard wheel balancing needs to be done only in VW service center.
No, not necessary. You can have it done from a reputed workshop from outside too. VW does not have any problems with it.
Old 4th April 2012, 10:24   #89
Senior - BHPian

@el lobo 6061 - When you mentioned about the hard clutch, was it only the hardness of the clutch pedal or did you have the "hiss" sound also as Ricky reported? I was given to understand the change was only when you had the noise and not otherwise.

Your post seems to indicate that the change is being done irrespective of whether there is noise or not. Is my understanding correct?

If so, what's preventing VW from pro-actively changing it rather than waiting for the customer to report the issue? With the knowledge level of people in the service center here, it is very difficult for us to even make them accept this in the first place.
Old 4th April 2012, 16:49   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
When you mentioned about the hard clutch, was it only the hardness of the clutch pedal or did you have the "hiss" sound also as Ricky reported? I was given to understand the change was only when you had the noise and not otherwise.
The clutch was hard since first day and my dad even complained to VW dealer about it and they passed it saying it is so in every car back in Apr'11.
While releasing the clutch, in the end it used to cause jerk and I really had hard time learning to release it softly. And while pressing the clutch I could hear a grinding noise which even made the problem more aggravated and replacement necessary for me.

After reading Ricky post, I was sure if I did pursue the matter with the SA he might oblige and with the bill from Ricky post & part number, it made it all the more easy to put forward the case.

Quote:
Your post seems to indicate that the change is being done irrespective of whether there is noise or not. Is my understanding correct?
Yes, if you feel the clutch is hard while depressing and releasing it and hear a grrr noise while pressing, let your SA know about and pursue it with saying my friends too have got it done and I have a bill for the same. SMS the part number to him. That's what I did and got it replaced FOC.

Quote:
If so, what's preventing VW from pro-actively changing it rather than waiting for the customer to report the issue? With the knowledge level of people in the service center here, it is very difficult for us to even make them accept this in the first place.
VW knows that without changing the part, it won't cause any long term effect on the car. As if I don't get the engine mounts replaced, it wont cause any problems. Likewise I didn't get door beading replaced, no problems and no noise touch wood.

I got lucky I did say and with bit pursuance did the work. Even the mechanic in the workshop who was working on my car accepted that there is harshness in the clutch of Vento TDi and replacing it with new one resolves the problem. I don't get any more jerk even if did release the clutch I use to did in beginning of ownership and overall there is tremendous difference which warrants the change.

Try calling the workshop and explain the case and tell them the part number too(6R2721465R), they will definitely address the problem. And when the clutch pipe is changed they even change a hex plate and a screw all FOC.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks