Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 00:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Story of a Defective LEMON (1.2yrs of stressful ownership)

^^ Why have you posted the same thing again?
Old 5th October 2011, 01:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ Why have you posted the same thing again?
Sorry if that caused inconvenience. actually the earlier post was not formatted well (i don't know what played wrong here, the browser or something else) so i have reattached this post here and have also requested the MODS to please delete post No.38 from this thread.

Another reason for me to add this post here again rather than editing it out was me being still monitored for posting in threads which results in delay in showing up of the post on the thread and hence being not editable anymore.

sorry..
Old 5th October 2011, 03:10   #48
BHPian

UPDATE EVERYONE 4th OCTOBER 2011

BTW guys, If u think that you`ve not heard or read about my FIGO earlier ever at Team-BHP, think again. Please go through the attached LINKS. There`s a link that takes you towards the partial review that I`d written for FIGO utilizing my friend`s ID here @T-bhp and the other takes you towards my earlier nightmarish paint issue that has happened with the car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-report.html.

And

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ightmares.html

FORD`s alarm bell rings again…

Today was no different. As per my earlier conversation with the regional manager of FORD for western division, I received a call early morning from Bhavna Ford, making me aware of another FORD engineer`s presence at their office and request me to come to the dealership with the car as soon as possible.

Simultaneously I start receiving calls from 2 guys who have come from Wasan Ford with a another FORD Fiesta, which will function as my loaner car for the day, as and when my car is being tried, tested and analyzed by the new engineer at Bhavna Ford.

I have a Talk with the Regional Manager, confirm if these are the right protocols to be followed and affirm my support for their trial, test etc. to reconfirm the existence of issues although they were already confirmed on ‘PAPER’ and signed and acknowledged by Ford assigned ‘Service Advisors’ who`d come on last Saturday for the testing and verification purpose.

Rather than asking them about the logic of doing same tests again when their own assigned Service advisors (one of them is the assistant manager for Wasan ford Deonar, Chembur) have verified already, I decided to play into their demands just to seek proper clarification and diagnosis for this issues later on.

I along with the Fiesta that has arrived at my place as a one day loan and my FORD Figo being driven by one of the guys that bought the fiesta, march towards Bhavna Ford. Mind it, that at this time I haven’t had a any breakfast or even consumed a glass of water and I`m out to work out a solution that is acceptable to me and FORD both and ends this whole strenuous episode for once and for all. Yes I Discussed Refund/Replacement, but RM notified me that FORD doesn’t do that in INDIA. But he assured me to give him a day or 2, so that he could understand what the higher management thinks about it.

I obviously am aware about my rights as a consumer and after consulting quite a few good men in Legal industry (thanks to twitter @Dinesh_Malhotra), I know, that i have a very clear cut case where in compensation/replacement/refund can be seeked from the FORD motor company based on the ordeal that I have had to go through after purchasing this FIGO (I am not generalizing things, but something is really wrong with my specific Figo as far as I am concerned).

RIDE TOWARDS BHAVNA FORD:

Left from home in haste giving a darn about my Business commitments or Digestive needs, and started to move towards Bhavna Ford as soon as I can, because didn’t wanted someone who has specifically come to attend my car to wait.

While I was in the Fiesta that was being driven by someone who works at Wasan, I did end up telling him about my problems and asked him whether he has heard about the same issues, as he comes into terms with these cars on daily basis. The guy was not at all puzzled and informed me, “Yes such problem did make their way into most of the FIGOs sold in the ‘2010 bunch’ and we have found mostly no cure or solution for the same, But FORD is now trying really hard to sort atleast some these niggles in the upcoming 2012 batch of Production units of FIGO.

He still requests me to not to buy a FIGO as it’s a car that’s built to a price by FORD and naturally FORD has done some heavy cost cutting in the same; resulting in dissatisfaction of customers and way too many issues in the after sales service category of car. He also stated that such problems come in a very random manner between cars belonging to different batches of production, but for the FIRST time he had heard about a FIGO which is now equipped with all the problems that it shares with its multiple twins, in itself !

Not that inspiring huh?

BHAVNA FORD EPISODE:

As soon as I reach Bhavna Ford, I am greeted by assigned engineer with a very bright and pleasant smile on his face and expecting to the same from me in return. I smile back,

He asked me to reiterate all my concerns in the new JOB SHEET once again and said now he`ll again check if any of the problem exists. I made him aware about the earlier acknowledgement which I`d taken as proof in case some of the problems notified &verified earlier just don’t resurface when tried, tested or checked for today`s inspection (just to be safe and good that I did it).

We share some more information with regards to the car and proceed with the inspection. I take the mail copy along with me that I`d sent to FORD, for my reference.

• First I explain him the color issue, then show him how “the bubbles, pinholes, rough patches, color mismatch etc.” have still made their way back on my car, though they were rectified under warranty by Wasan Ford after repainting 56 spots on my car, under FORD`s warranty Team`s authorization and under the supervision of earlier RM, Mr.Kalra.

Color defect was preexisting in this car, you can check this thread for more info (yes that`s my Figo and arihant.exe is my friend whose ID I was using at that time as I could not get my own created here):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/92277-ford-figo-factory-paint-giving-nightmares.html
  • Second, I take him to the Balaji Temple Area, Nerul (for handbrake issue). The car is taken on a slope that`s not having an incline of more than 25-35 degrees max (45 degree is the threshold, ford says) that too on very balanced curve. The handbrake fails to halt the car. He himself tries then, still it fails.

Problem is accepted to be found. So was it last time (earlier complaints) and notches were adjusted (resolution applied last 4 times).

But, I thought, maybe this time I might hear a new answer for this problem!
  • We now both move on to Gears. I say it’s "Hard n rough", he says it’s like "butter n Ghee"… I show him the letter duly signed by earlier engineers of Ford, who just 2 days back, themselves confirmed that the gear shifts are hard and are not precise. He doesn’t accept the problem, I don’t accept his analysis.
  • I show him the Khas Khas sound coming from the region where the alternator belt is located, he hears the same sound, accepts the problem to be found, says he will have to find the source. I accept his thesis, because as far as I am concerned I just want it to be rectified. And if it’s the alternator belt that has failed, then to be replaced a.s.a.p.
  • We move on to Brakes being not inspiring or not precise issue. He says they are superb and are in fact rated best among other cars when compared. I simply could not gather any will to make him understand more about it, and as I have stated earlier to have accepted this issue for being a common FORD FIGO phenomenon, I leave it to him to decide.
  • Sound after Pressing Brakes and Handbrake while on flat roads and even if someone tries to sit or get out of the car when the DUO are applied each, was FOUND and accepted.
  • Horn issue is again accepted and is promised with another replacement. This car is replacements galore man, it’s like we change clothes it changes its mechanical parts!
  • Suspension Making Noise issue Found and to be worked upon with lubrication and if yet the problem persists, may be replacements of Shock Absorbers will come into the picture (will be 2nd replacement for the same then).
  • Assures me of checking all bolts of seats properly and will also check with computer assistance the 'AIRBAG safety light ON' issue.
  • CAR BOTTOMING PART (2nd most critical issue in terms of driving and ownership experience) is mentioned by me to him, I also tell him about how we conducted a 126kms survey on 1st October wherein the car THUDDED (under-chassis were hit) 6 times in a span of 6hrs and test covering areas like Thane Belapur Road, Panvel Road and some outer areas off city limits.

says we can’t check again in such an extensive manner, but keeps on making the POINT that FORD FIGOs ground clearance is the BEST and it’s my own perception and method of driving that is affecting the under-chassis.

I try to show him the signed letter in which the earlier testers have themselves driven the car on such speed breakers and have accepted in writing that the car BOTTOMS out on speed breakers. He still didn’t budge and I found it to be redundant to ask him to accept this issues.
FINALLY

Car is left with Bhavna Ford for carrying diagnosis and repairs under supervision of the engineer from Chennai. I come back home around at 3.00pm after leaving at 10.00am in morning, not eating anything be it breakfast or lunch and no water. Monday and Tuesday, both days I could not go to my office or perform any of my personal duties as I was unwillingly warranted to FORD dealerships, if I can say that.

At 7.00pm I receive a call from the current Regional Manager, that car`s ready and we believe all the problems are taken care of. That was dubiously quick I say… he says we will again have a joint test drive tomorrow (today at 11.30am) and see if the problems have gone for good.

I notify him about the earlier instances when the same promises were communicated and in fact the car showed good corrective trend for first few days after repair/replacement/diagnosis carried last time and HOW it would all start to FAIL again. He requests me to join and I say YES.

But I also make my point here. I tell him, that I won’t accept the car now, be it in any condition, unless FORD gives me in writing that these issues won’t reoccur and a certain resolution has to be passed benefitting me as a troubled consumer.

P.S:
Its too late. I feel strained. Need to sleep. Sorry if I may have missed some points. Need to go now. bye. Will update on todays joint test drive when I return back home.

Warm Regards n Thanks

Dinesh Malhotra
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 08:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

I feel your pain, brother.
Can only hope that this ordeal gets over as soon as possible.

Btw, you didn't bring up the headlight fogging issue? Or did i read it in some other figo thread?
Old 5th October 2011, 10:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

Scary to say the least. I always thought Figo is one of th best VFM products we have in this category. Well, to know the fact that many Figo from the 2010 batches has issues is not at all inspiring. Keep us posted on the further development.
Old 5th October 2011, 10:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Gosh, what a horror story, Still did'nt get the part about the engine just shutting down due to a rev mismatch. Whats that all about? Can you please describe that in more detail? Is it that if you rev the engine beyond a certain RPM, it stalls? Or is it that you are below the required RPM to keep it moving? Is it that tricky to judge the correct gear in the Figo? Can't you make out from the engine noise or the tachometer?

I was this close to buying a Figo due to the cost savings versus a Swift, and the only reason I did not buy it was my mom did'nt like the car for inexplicable reasons. Talk about a sixth sense.

Hope your car is fixed up properly this time round.
Old 5th October 2011, 11:19   #52
BHPian

@ Dinesh,

Its really a horrowing experience. All petroheads feel for you mate.

I strongly feel that you have a strong chance of getting Ford to compensate you, as your's is a brand new car. If you keep visiting them often for small niggles and getting it fixed under warranty, the cumulative cost incurred by them would be higher than the cost of your car. Also not to forget the bad press/ word of mouth. Get this point across to them and get them of offer you a deal, maybe exchange or upgrade etc. You may however, have to shell out some money.

Last edited by mac187 : 5th October 2011 at 11:20.
Old 5th October 2011, 21:37   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I feel your pain, brother.
Can only hope that this ordeal gets over as soon as possible.

Btw, you didn't bring up the headlight fogging issue? Or did i read it in some other figo thread?
There was a fogging issue in my Headlamps too. They rectified it after changing some fitment filament in the Headlamp assembly. or was it replaced? i don`t remember. will have to check the service history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Scary to say the least. I always thought Figo is one of th best VFM products we have in this category. Well, to know the fact that many Figo from the 2010 batches has issues is not at all inspiring. Keep us posted on the further development.
Its not, today was my worst interaction with FORD. its not a VFM product, atleast not for me. it has come with a death warrant for me. the amount of stress that its causing me, might make me go mad. its all like a conspiracy.
i dont know what i must do.

God. someone please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Gosh, what a horror story, Still did'nt get the part about the engine just shutting down due to a rev mismatch. Whats that all about? Can you please describe that in more detail? Is it that if you rev the engine beyond a certain RPM, it stalls? Or is it that you are below the required RPM to keep it moving? Is it that tricky to judge the correct gear in the Figo? Can't you make out from the engine noise or the tachometer?

I was this close to buying a Figo due to the cost savings versus a Swift, and the only reason I did not buy it was my mom did'nt like the car for inexplicable reasons. Talk about a sixth sense.

Hope your car is fixed up properly this time round.
its not about the Gear only man. See there are times when we might get stuck at traffic etc at the slopes of a some hill. at the time if you`ve to put your car back in motion, you solely rely on your handbrakes to reaccelerate you car. MINE STARTS MOVING BACK !

got it ? even i dont know how i should explain you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
@ Dinesh,

Its really a horrowing experience. All petroheads feel for you mate.

I strongly feel that you have a strong chance of getting Ford to compensate you, as your's is a brand new car. If you keep visiting them often for small niggles and getting it fixed under warranty, the cumulative cost incurred by them would be higher than the cost of your car. Also not to forget the bad press/ word of mouth. Get this point across to them and get them of offer you a deal, maybe exchange or upgrade etc. You may however, have to shell out some money.
I dont know. I am feeling tired. I am getting a very bad feeling out of it.
I regret buying this car. my sleep and my life and my business, all are getting messed up. Please Help me guys. Please HELP !

I am losing my patience following this people. They seem to be least interested in accepting the faults rather pin point n says.. Its NORMAL for any car to behave that way.

i drove a swift and n indica in front of that guy at the same spot and no problems were reported in them... then this GUY (RM) says all FIGO have not so effective handbrakes. i have no words to say any more.

FORD you`ve ruined a year and half of my life. i wish i had enough strength to get back at you. but i am tired now.
Old 6th October 2011, 00:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

I'm sorry, I'm still not sure if I understand you correctly, so are you saying that your basic issue is that your handbreak is ineffective, and due to that, you're having a tough time controlling the car while trying to move on from standstill on a slope?

So, thats got nothing to do with your gears being mismatched and your car stalling?

Well, either way, sorry about your car, probably best to sell it, you should not lose too much in value since its a fairly new diesel hatch, cut your losses, and move onto something else. I know its not easy, and definitely not the ideal solution, but definitely the easiest to get back your peace of mind. Best of luck, dude.
Old 6th October 2011, 01:08   #55
BHPian

Dinesh, reading your horror story and cannot believe my eyes still. what happened after the test drive after ford 'fixed' the problems ? did you have to get the car back? have the issues been resolved?
Old 6th October 2011, 09:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
God. someone please help.

FORD you`ve ruined a year and half of my life. i wish i had enough strength to get back at you. but i am tired now.
I had an Ikon 1.8D and though very well maintained, it was full of irritating problems and failures. Fiesta was far better but sold it at 68K kms as problems were beginning to crop up and Ford destroyed the used car value of it. Have a Figo which thankfully has not had any problems probably because I dont give it to the Ford dealer. Get things done at a specialist tuning setup instead. Part of the problem seems to be very fast expansion with the volumes Figo generated and I dont think, service is keeping pace.

If you have difficulty living with the car, get rid of it while the value is high. Else rip it apart at any specialist tuner's place and rebuild to your requirement - a bit expensive. I dont see much scope in getting anything out of the dealer or Ford (someone unkindly said it should be renamed Fraud ) unless you are going the tedious legal route.

Last edited by basky : 6th October 2011 at 09:24.
Old 6th October 2011, 11:37   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do they need to test the car again and again by different people from Ford? Don't they believe that all there so called appointed engineers are competent enough to make a call individually? It just adds to the insult and trauma. Reading your last post has left me baffled. When you showed him a signed document from the last Ford appointed guy who checked your car then why does he differ and on what basis? I might have walked off or abused him if in your shoes.
Old 6th October 2011, 12:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Dinesh, I read in the Economic Times a few days back that you can now approach the State Transport Authority for any manufacturing defects in your car. Under this rule the manufacturer is liable to pay something like Rs. 1 L for a manufacturing defect in the car. This being a dedicated agency for handling motor vehicle issues, the resolution may take place faster than in a consumer court. Please seek a legal opinion on this matter.

Although I don't think the car is a 'lemon' per se, the defects you have mentioned are clearly manufacturing defects. So your stand that Ford should assure you in writing that those defects will not resurface is good. Please do engage a competent legal adviser so that you can resort to a legal recourse asap.
Old 6th October 2011, 13:17   #59
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why do they need to test the car again and again by different people from Ford? Don't they believe that all there so called appointed engineers are competent enough to make a call individually? It just adds to the insult and trauma. Reading your last post has left me baffled. When you showed him a signed document from the last Ford appointed guy who checked your car then why does he differ and on what basis? I might have walked off or abused him if in your shoes.
Thats what they do repeatedly unless you get convinced due to mere frustration. My car still has some problems but do not have patience and time to visit the SC's regularly (Will start again from first). Ford has totally gone wrong due to huge cost cutting in Figo. They say it was tested for 1Lac kms, may be on various simulators.
Old 6th October 2011, 14:09   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Thats what they do repeatedly unless you get convinced due to mere frustration. My car still has some problems but do not have patience and time to visit the SC's regularly (Will start again from first). Ford has totally gone wrong due to huge cost cutting in Figo. They say it was tested for 1Lac kms, may be on various simulators.
Yup thats the pathetic state of affairs in our country. The statement for there representative that Ford does not change a car in India shows the arrogance these companies have. No wonder the famour movie "Flash of Genius" is also based on a common man's fight against Ford.

But without getting too vague and emotional here I feel may be the best way out of this mess for you is get the parts replaced one last time and sell the car off. It sounds very inhuman and devilish but I doubt wasting your time in the courts is of any value ( a case in point is Harish vs Skoda). And there is no hope of Ford responding positively in your case anyways. So just sell of the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks