Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
My ZDI has completed 490 odd kms and a few observations
Congrats on the car.

Quote:
6) The boot lid closing is a pain. While I have got a hang of it, the office security staff who checks the car daily can't close it right and I have to get out each time to close it perfectly.
Take it to any MASS body shop and ask them to align the bushes and the tail gate lock. If they do a proper job, the boot should shut close under its own weight.

Quote:
10) Engine clatter has come down and appreciate the sound proofing done by Maruti
Wait till the MJD clocks some more KMs.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 18:57   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn
Take it to any MASS body shop and ask them to align the bushes and the tail gate lock. If they do a proper job, the boot should shut close under its own weight.
Can this be adjusted? I too have the problem, I need to apply the right amount of pressure at the right time for it to close. I have seen a lot of people complaining about this issue in brand new cars, so was wondering how much the A.S.S people can help?
Old 1st June 2012, 19:07   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Can this be adjusted? I too have the problem, I need to apply the right amount of pressure at the right time for it to close. I have seen a lot of people complaining about this issue in brand new cars, so was wondering how much the A.S.S people can help?
Yes, it can be adjusted at the body shop. It was a pain to close the tail gate of our car. So much so that, it took multiple attempts and I feared for the life of that electromagnetic button.

Now, I just need to drop the tail gate at a particular height for it to close properly. No need to slam it shut. Wonder why MSIL can't get it right from the factory.
Old 2nd June 2012, 07:37   #1354
Team-BHP Support

My 2006 Swift ZXi came with the electromagnetic opener too, for the boot door. Quite frankly I can't understand what is the problem with the ones on the new gen Swift. Mine is going strong after 6.5 years.

What exactly is happening? Does it refuse to get into the locked position when shut?
Old 2nd June 2012, 07:50   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I have this same problem in the VXI with no electromagnetic lock. Getting it closed in the first try is a failure unless i push the boot closed as it falls down. Will take it to mass and see what they can do.
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:17   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
My 2006 Swift ZXi came with the electromagnetic opener too, for the boot door. Quite frankly I can't understand what is the problem with the ones on the new gen Swift. Mine is going strong after 6.5 years.

What exactly is happening? Does it refuse to get into the locked position when shut?
It is not a problem with the electromagnetic button. But the alignment of the lock and length of the rubber bushes (which can go in or out depending on how you turn them) on either side of the tailgate.

Any good MASS body shop can set it right.

I think the problem is the lighter hatch door when compared to the old Swift. I guess the new one is not heavy enough to close under its own weight if the alignment is not proper.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:30   #1357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I think the problem is the lighter hatch door when compared to the old Swift. I guess the new one is not heavy enough to close under its own weight if the alignment is not proper.
Oops! something I need to look out for during the PDI I think. My ZDi's delivery is due in a couple of months from now.

Your point is correct deetjohn - the boot doors are wafer thin in the Dzire too - mentioned by GTO during his review as well.
Old 5th June 2012, 11:16   #1358
BHPian

Quote:

Your point is correct deetjohn - the boot doors are wafer thin in the Dzire too - mentioned by GTO during his review as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
It is not a problem with the electromagnetic button. But the alignment of the lock and length of the rubber bushes (which can go in or out depending on how you turn them) on either side of the tailgate.

Any good MASS body shop can set it right.

Quote:

I had the electromagnetic sensor on my old ZXi's boot changed after 5 years. The boot got jammed one fine day which maybe due to my habit of being careless over the years while shutting the boot. If you do attempt to close the boot a second time, you should wait for 15 odd seconds before attempting to do so.

The ZDi's boot shuts at the first attempt if I drop it from a certain height. If not, an adjustment can surely be made by MASS. I seriously do not find the Swift's boot door to be wafer thin. The D-Zire's might feel so because of the shape.
Old 5th June 2012, 20:50   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I had the electromagnetic sensor on my old ZXi's boot changed after 5 years.
Recall how much was it for the new one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The ZDi's boot shuts at the first attempt if I drop it from a certain height. If not, an adjustment can surely be made by MASS. I seriously do not find the Swift's boot door to be wafer thin. The D-Zire's might feel so because of the shape.
I didn't say the Swift tail gate was wafer thin. It is certainly shorter and lighter than the old one though. But the one in DZire definitely is.
Old 5th June 2012, 21:01   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn

Recall how much was it for the new one?

I didn't say the Swift tail gate was wafer thin. It is certainly shorter and lighter than the old one though. But the one in DZire definitely is.
I paid around Rs. 700 for the new sensor if I remember correctly. Availability though was an issue as the part had to be ordered from Gurgaon.

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly. The new Swift's tail gate is definitely shorter. I have to reach for it at times when it is in the open position.
Old 6th June 2012, 10:34   #1361
BHPian

The boot of my 2 month old zdi refused to close today. After the usual check at the office, when the guard tried to shut it, it refused.

I got down and tried to close with some pressure after a 10-15 sec break, it didn't work. However, parked te car and tried again after a good 5 mins but the boot refuses to close.

Also, due to this I am not able to lock the car. Any suggestions on getting the boot issue solved?
Old 6th June 2012, 11:22   #1362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
The boot of my 2 month old zdi refused to close today. After the usual check at the office, when the guard tried to shut it, it refused.

I got down and tried to close with some pressure after a 10-15 sec break, it didn't work. However, parked te car and tried again after a good 5 mins but the boot refuses to close.

Also, due to this I am not able to lock the car. Any suggestions on getting the boot issue solved?
Call maruti road side assistance for help. Please make sure you lubricate the lock and leave it for an hour. It should work, if not! Maruti will have to find an intermediate soultion till they get a replacement.
Old 6th June 2012, 13:31   #1363
BHPian

I did my second (5000km) service yesterday and as part of it got the boot aligned. As deetjohn suggested, the factory alignment was way off. After this service, I just need to leave the boot door at a particular height for it to lock.

I don't think you need to wait for more than 5 seconds for re-closing the boot door. If you look at the lock mechanism, when you press the release button, something in it rotates and it takes 3-4 seconds to complete.
jingaboysr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 21:06   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX

Call maruti road side assistance for help. Please make sure you lubricate the lock and leave it for an hour. It should work, if not! Maruti will have to find an intermediate soultion till they get a replacement.
I ended up at Maruti a**. Initially was told the lock was gone, but that turned out ok. The latch was out of place. They made some adjustments with a hammer and after some trials the hatch locks.

Now it's better aligned and closes even when left from a very small height. That's the good out of this!

Wonder why this can't be set well right at the factory
Old 6th June 2012, 21:22   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
I ended up at Maruti a**. Initially was told the lock was gone, but that turned out ok. The latch was out of place. They made some adjustments with a hammer and after some trials the hatch locks.

Now it's better aligned and closes even when left from a very small height. That's the good out of this!

Wonder why this can't be set well right at the factory
off-late I have been having this MASS phobia! I have been to their workshop atleast a dozen times trying to correct the braking issue with my SWIFT (P). Now I am afraid to goto MASS as I feel they are totally incompetent to handle any technical issue. Wonder when India will get strong automotive laws which will force manufacturers to recall faulty vehicles. I am sure if this was any-where in Europe, Middle east or Americas, the car will be recalled for faulty boot lock!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks