Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2014, 08:41   #2221
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Nothing will change with the stock replacement K&N, all marketing bull talk trust me. Not one bit. Stick to the OE air filter and keep cleaning it every 3 to 4 thousand kilometers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Its 33-2968. I was using it in my VXI (same colour as yours) and just 2 days ago I sold the filter on tbhp-classifieds. 33-2974 will not fit.
Thanks for the suggestions. Sankar since you have used the filter in your car can you highlight the positives and negatives.
@humyum I totally agree that it might not be a sea of change. But even if it improves a little bit, i guess its fine.
Old 30th May 2014, 12:12   #2222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTH1987 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Sankar since you have used the filter in your car can you highlight the positives and negatives.
+ Slightly better throttle response when installed in a stock airbox.
+ Re-useable

- Cleaning and re-installation takes longer, takes an afternoon if you do it thoroughly. With the paper you swap the filter in less than 5 minutes.
- Cost

The older 1.2 Swift and the Ritz gives better response (tested in my cousin's old Swift 1.2) with a K&N replacement filter compared to the new Swift. This is probably due to the difference in how they both operate. New Swift lacks MAF sensor and operate on speed density model which is engine RPM and density of air (density of air calculated using MAP and IAT). The old 1.2 has MAF and it can directly measure the airflow entering the engine and more air flow will be measured directly by the MAF.

MAF = manifold air flow sensor
MAP = manifold air pressure sensor
IAT = intake air temperature sensor
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 12:46   #2223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
+ Slightly better throttle response when installed in a stock airbox.
+ Re-useable

- Cleaning and re-installation takes longer, takes an afternoon if you do it thoroughly. With the paper you swap the filter in less than 5 minutes.
- Cost

The older 1.2 Swift and the Ritz gives better response (tested in my cousin's old Swift 1.2) with a K&N replacement filter compared to the new Swift. This is probably due to the difference in how they both operate. New Swift lacks MAF sensor and operate on speed density model which is engine RPM and density of air (density of air calculated using MAP and IAT). The old 1.2 has MAF and it can directly measure the airflow entering the engine and more air flow will be measured directly by the MAF.

MAF = manifold air flow sensor
MAP = manifold air pressure sensor
IAT = intake air temperature sensor
Thanks Sankar for your detailed reply. The whole purpose of me trying for this mod was to increase the low end. Going by your experience, it may not be worth spending money on. Let me run in with the stock filter and then probably go in for a CAI or a FFE.
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:09   #2224
BHPian

Did a Chennai Pondicherry 300 kms round trip yesterday and the car returned an avg mileage of 16.6 kmpl in spite of some spirited sprints across the east coast road
On the downside got my first puncture when an innocent looking screw pierced the rear left tyre.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-1.jpg  

Old 7th June 2014, 12:05   #2225
BHPian

Guys I am facing a little issue with closing my tailgate. I need to push it with all might to lock in properly. Is it a common issue or is it because mine is a new car. Should i draw the attention of my SA fo this issue. My first service is due next week.
Old 7th June 2014, 12:14   #2226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I am facing a little issue with closing my tailgate. I need to push it with all might to lock in properly. Is it a common issue or is it because mine is a new car. Should i draw the attention of my SA fo this issue. My first service is due next week.
Try screwing the rubber stoppers on the gate by a round or two and see if this helps.
Old 9th June 2014, 16:38   #2227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTH1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Try screwing the rubber stoppers on the gate by a round or two and see if this helps.
That will address the problem yes.

Our new Swift has the same problem and the rubber stoppers helped. Never had the issue with the older, "new" Swift.

On another note, the caliper pins have started off on their rattles again in the 2 year old Swift. MASS says normal wear and tear. Now I am debating between either greasing them up or changing the brackets altogether (the receptacles which hold the caliper pins seem to be assumed a slightly oblong shape as against the perfect circle that they are supposed to be). A MASS in Marol, upon being appraised of the situation advised some white Teflon tape wound round the caliper pins :|

While the rattle does not impact handling at all and is non-existent on the highways at the moment, the cobbled roads in Bombay make the wheels scream bloody murder.

Want the car to run as smoothly as possible before they double up as boats and amphibious craft in a few weeks.
Old 12th June 2014, 16:21   #2228
BHPian

Guys, it has been a month I have been a proud owner of swift. With 700 kms on the odo, I am loving the car more and more each day. The issues were absolutely zilch till now save for the tailgate closing issue i have raised a couple of posts above. I am taking the car for its first service tomorrow. Will update you guys.
Old 12th June 2014, 18:01   #2229
BANNED

Quote:
Guys, it has been a month I have been a proud owner of swift. With 700 kms on the odo, I am loving the car more and more each day. The issues were absolutely zilch till now save for the tailgate closing issue i have raised a couple of posts above. I am taking the car for its first service tomorrow. Will update you guys.
Even I do face this issue on my ZDi but it has a temporary solution that was discussed above.

Rotate these rubber stoppers that are there at the sides of the gas strut clockwise. Once done try closing the tail gate smoothly, Voila! No need to bang it hard.

Anurag.
Old 12th June 2014, 18:49   #2230
Senior - BHPian

Finally gave my car for 40k service but was quite disappointed with how it drove after service. So many parts were replaced, intercooler cleaned etc. yet car drives exactly as it did before.
The engine purred like a kitten with Mobil 1 synthetic oil, but since it was out of stock the service centre put in Castrol and the engine is quite noisy anything over 2k rpm now. I noticed this when I took a small drive after service but I need the car urgently for a long drive so just told them I'll comeback later to get it checked.
They replaced link rod and suspension bushes but the noise which was there before is still present. It's a kut-kut sound when I turn the wheel and the road has potholes.
How do I get these fixed?
Also, I never got back any of the replaced parts except for the old link rod. Skoda and VW guys kept every old part in the boot like air filter, oil filter, fuel filter etc. Is this how MASS works usually?
Old 12th June 2014, 19:07   #2231
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
The engine purred like a kitten with Mobil 1 synthetic oil, but since it was out of stock the service centre put in Castrol and the engine is quite noisy anything over 2k rpm now.

They replaced link rod and suspension bushes but the noise which was there before is still present. It's a kut-kut sound when I turn the wheel and the road has potholes. How do I get these fixed?

Also, I never got back any of the replaced parts except for the old link rod. Skoda and VW guys kept every old part in the boot like air filter, oil filter, fuel filter etc. Is this how MASS works usually?
IIRC, they ask you what to do with the old parts that were replaced! Every time I go they ask me what to do, I just ask them to discard/recycle it after I reach the ASC. I don't check the parts manually as I trust my SA. Once I reach the boot is emptied and cleaned.

Once you are back from the drive go back and point out the issues to the Service manager along with the bill so that he can work on it.

If you don't mind post the picture of the bill?!

Anurag.
Old 12th June 2014, 20:25   #2232
BHPian

Hi Shashank
Please get engine foundation beam also checked. I remember the same issue in my swift and after three visits it was identified a rusted engine foundation.
harpreetsubhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 21:27   #2233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IIRC, they ask you what to do with the old parts that were replaced! Every time I go they ask me what to do, I just ask them to discard/recycle it after I reach the ASC. I don't check the parts manually as I trust my SA. Once I reach the boot is emptied and cleaned.

Once you are back from the drive go back and point out the issues to the Service manager along with the bill so that he can work on it.

If you don't mind post the picture of the bill?!

Anurag.
I will post the photo a little later since I can't edit it now it came upto 11,385 though. These guys never asked me about parts at all,may be they assumed I wouldn't need them. But how the car drives makes me wonder if they really changed all the parts!

Will I be able to get them to change the oil ? Forgot to mention, I get phenomenal mileage now like 26.6 and 24.6 with some sedate driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hi Shashank
Please get engine foundation beam also checked. I remember the same issue in my swift and after three visits it was identified a rusted engine foundation.
Hi Harpreet, thanks for the advice. What problem did your car have though ?
Old 12th June 2014, 21:48   #2234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Please get engine foundation beam also checked.
Sorry for the noob doubt, but, did you mean 'engine mounts' by the term 'engine foundation'?

Quote:

it came upto 11,385 though.
What the heck. 11K for 40K service is too much.

Quote:
These guys never asked me about parts at all, may be they assumed I wouldn't need them.
1) Was the job card prepared in front of you?

2) We'e you asked to sign after the job card creation?

3) What was the rough estimate given?

Quote:
But how the car drives makes me wonder if they really changed all the parts!
If possible ask them to show the old parts they changed though it would have been discarded but try your luck.

Quote:
Will I be able to get them to change the oil ?
Changing the oil to Mobil 1?

I feel it is a waste of money, waste of oil and harm to the nature.

Stick to it till 5K at least if not 10K.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 12th June 2014 at 21:50.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 07:26   #2235
BHPian

Quote:
This is where Maruti is unable to satisfy customers and VW scores and feels like a trustworthy service. Did you got a chance to stay nearby the service bay during service? Which MASS you went?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks