Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2014, 13:24   #2161
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
This is happening to our 2010 make VXi also. The service center is clueless about it. Caliper pin greasing has been done, but still the noise persists. Looks like we will have to live with it. more details in this thread.
The brakepads have a think metal sheet encasing. In case this sheet is removed, sometimes a little play is introduced which causes the brake assembly to vibrate. The effect of this is multiples when driving over uneven surface. Putting the metal sheet encasing or a replacement should solve the issue.
Old 29th April 2014, 13:36   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonreborn View Post
This has happened to my ZXi twice. The first time round was when a friendly rodent decided to nibble on the rubber casing (boot) the tie-rod for the left front suspension element. Water and dirt found their way in, gumming up the joints and driving me up the wall every time I drove over a pebble. Had to be replaced and weighed in at about 6k.

The second time round, after some bouncing over coconut sized rocks and lunar craters on my way to Dapoli (a round trip of about 700km over rather ill kept roads), the calipers in the disc brakes decided to call it a day. The noise returned and it was devilishly hard to pin it down to the calipers. Hunted down all possible potholes and craggy outcrops of tar in PrabhaDevi, Bombay with the SA, over a couple of hours before we could identify the source. Replaced the pins and greased them. A couple of hundred bucks.
I'm hoping its the caliper pins too. Did some searching on the forum and read that many have had success with greasing them. If not i'm in for a huge 40k service bill.

Quote:
Rattles from the front passenger doors for me come from the speaker at certain lower frequencies. At any rate, the plastic elements are flimsy enough to flex if you push them with a finger Got the panels bolstered with a little extra packing. MASS helped.
The car is holding up decently even with 40k on the odo and me being 2nd owner. The 1st owner had done a splendid job on keeping it in top shape though. There are only 2 rattles in my car which the music can easily drown out. Its also not very annoying a I hear it only when I drive over bad stretches.

Quote:
The MID seems to have it's only stash of happy. Mine reads 15-16 no matter what the driving conditions might be. For my petrol, I find that a gentle foot and a needle never hopping up beyond 2k on the tach, gets me 16km to the liter of liquid dinosaurs.
I don't always keep it under 2k, shift at around 2.3krpm which I think is the sweet spot. Yet the mileage is dismal.

Quote:
Though this might be a major overhaul, my clutch went super hard pretty much overnight from a snagged cable. The clamp holding the piping for the clutch cable to the firewall took a little vacation. This threw matters off kilter and the cable groaned every I trod on the clutch. A new clamp and all was well between the clutch and me.
I'm trying to postpone this as far as I can. Nowadays it struggles even on not so steep inclines. MASS quoted 6-7k for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
[/list]Get this done ONLY if you feel a loss in power. Otherwise NOT required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
I think Fiat recommends EGR cleaning once in 30k kms or so. EGR/Intercooler/MapSensor collect the same soot. Assuming its the same engine and Maruti hasnt done way with the EGR valve, makes sense to open the EGR valve once every 30k kms and inspect. If soot accumulation is there, better to get the intercooler and map sensor also cleaned.
Other intermediate maintainence solutions - Rev Hards once in a while. It opens up the EGR valve and clears up some soot. Some people have done away with the EGR totally (again bad for the env). Most MASS and FASS do a very shoddy job and charge a bomb for it. Its a time consuming and labour intensive job.
I read moderator Moral's review and he's got it done at 30k on his car. Will check the history of the car before I give the go ahead. If not done it really opens up the engine,or atleast so i've read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
This is happening to our 2010 make VXi also. The service center is clueless about it. Caliper pin greasing has been done, but still the noise persists. Looks like we will have to live with it. more details in this thread.
I read through your experience too. If it doesn't go away with calliper pin greasing I'll get the ball joints,tie-rod etc checked. It sounds scary,almost as if the wheels would come off whenever I turn.
Old 29th April 2014, 14:23   #2163
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I read through your experience too. If it doesn't go away with calliper pin greasing I'll get the ball joints,tie-rod etc checked. It sounds scary,almost as if the wheels would come off whenever I turn.
Check the mounts on which the suspension is bolted and the lower suspension joints.

Anurag.
Old 29th April 2014, 15:53   #2164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
I think Fiat recommends EGR cleaning once in 30k kms or so. EGR/Intercooler/MapSensor collect the same soot. Assuming its the same engine and Maruti hasnt done way with the EGR valve, makes sense to open the EGR valve once every 30k kms and inspect. If soot accumulation is there, better to get the intercooler and map sensor also cleaned...
Quote:
...I read moderator Moral's review and he's got it done at 30k on his car. Will check the history of the car before I give the go ahead. If not done it really opens up the engine,or atleast so i've read!
I had my EGR valve cleaning at 60K or 80K done for the fist time. And it was running like a dream. SO it's NOT really required at 30K intervals. But it's a personal choice.
Old 29th April 2014, 16:06   #2165
BANNED

Quote:

I had my EGR valve cleaning at 60K or 80K done for the fist time. And it was running like a dream. SO it's NOT really required at 30K intervals. But it's a personal choice.
+1.

AFAIK, I did the EGR cleaning at the 60K. Post which I didn't do it as I didn't feel the need. Proactively some customers do it.

Anurag.
Old 29th April 2014, 18:56   #2166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Check the mounts on which the suspension is bolted and the lower suspension joints.

Anurag.
Yes will do. Thanks.

Quote:
I think the best way to find out is to drive a car which has had a EGR cleaning done recently. Anyway, if it makes the engine more responsive, I don't really mind it

How much were you charged for this ?
Old 30th April 2014, 09:58   #2167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....I think the best way to find out is to drive a car which has had a EGR cleaning done recently. Anyway, if it makes the engine more responsive, I don't really mind it

How much were you charged for this ?
To be very honest, I could never feel anything different as there was NO problem in the first place. The charges are definitely high compared to other jobs, you might even be prepared to leave the car overnight for the job.
Old 30th April 2014, 11:05   #2168
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Sorry, edit window time over. Wanted to paste the link to EGR service portion in my ownership report.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2576114

Mods, you may please merge the posts.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 11:12   #2169
Senior - BHPian

I have done EGR cleaning only once till now at 65 thousand km in the entire life of the vehicle. Never found any difference even then and right now its at 93 thousand km and perfectly fine. Once in a while an italian tune up does the trick, no need to get EGR and all cleaned, the more you let the service station touch stuff in your car, more they will mess up.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 12:05   #2170
BHPian

hired the VDI yesterday from carzonrent for a long TD as considering this as a possible buy, the turbo lag is very frustrating in the diesel; feel like flogging a reluctant pony while waking up from the dead after taking humps in 2nd, it takes forever for the car to rouse from its slumber. However it displayed its handling prowess on a couple of corners.

Considering the petrol version (had to make do with the diesel from carzonrent) - can a zxi owner comment on driveability of the petrol?
Old 30th April 2014, 12:24   #2171
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
feel like flogging a reluctant pony while waking up from the dead after taking humps in 2nd, it takes forever for the car to rouse from its slumber.
Speed breakers are to be taken in 1st gear and not in 2nd. It will lug the engine and not yield any power where you'll need to slip the clutch continuously till in power. Try the same speedbreaker in 1st gear and post the feedback buddy.

Anurag.
Old 30th April 2014, 15:29   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Sorry, edit window time over. Wanted to paste the link to EGR service portion in my ownership report.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2576114
Whoa! That's pretty much the quote I got for 40k service but with only regular service,EGR cleaning and intercooler cleaning. With supension etc added will go well above 12k I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I have done EGR cleaning only once till now at 65 thousand km in the entire life of the vehicle. Never found any difference even then and right now its at 93 thousand km and perfectly fine. Once in a while an italian tune up does the trick, no need to get EGR and all cleaned, the more you let the service station touch stuff in your car, more they will mess up.
I do the italian tune up once a month or so when on a free stretch. So i'll decline this EGR valve clean,if its been done before. What about intercooler cleaning ?

Also, regarding the suspension noise i'd posted earlier:

Quote:
The front suspension seems like its shot. I hear a loud noise every time I go over undulations on the road at speeds of 20-40kmph,especially when going over sections where a hump previously existed and has been removed leaving a small bump.
I also hear a 'khat-khat' noise when I take a turn and there are a few small potholes. Its quite evident when driving through hill roads which are poorly maintained. Ball joints the culprit ?
So the usual culprits are suspension mounts,ball joint and calliper pins or should I ask them to check something else ?
Old 30th April 2014, 16:36   #2173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... What about intercooler cleaning ?..
The only problem that can happen to the intercooler is excess oil getting into it. This will result in a dip in power delivery and black smoke while accelerating. If you do NOT have any of these issues, you can skip intercooler cleaning.
Old 30th April 2014, 17:53   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This will result in a dip in power delivery and black smoke while accelerating. If you do NOT have any of these issues, you can skip intercooler cleaning.
I do find it a bit lethargic,not sure of the smoke. Will probably get this done then. Thanks a ton!
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 18:07   #2175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Speed breakers are to be taken in 1st gear and not in 2nd. It will lug the engine and not yield any power where you'll need to slip the clutch continuously till in power. Try the same speedbreaker in 1st gear and post the feedback buddy.

Anurag.
I was referring to the 'gentle' humps and not the monster widowmaker of suspensions. The former variety of which I tackle in 2nd gear (whenever am too lazy to downshift) even in my humble K10 and immediately after, it pulls cleanly from 2nd.

This I found to be terrible in the VDI for a diesel where one is supposed to be able to potter around in 2nd in slow traffic conditions, speedbreakers or not. Of course its a different matter if one is downshifting to 1st while crawling

Except for that of course, its a proven diesel mill, no questions about that

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks