Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 08:29   #1951
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Going by the Official Review for the New Swift the windows are thinner so I can expect a little higher NVH than the older models!
The new Swift D is way quieter than the old one. And this is true when compared to the current Ritz as well.

MSIL has done a great job in sound deadening. The thin windows lets in a bit of traffic noise and that is true for the old Swift and the Ritz as well. But its hard to hear the MJD unless you are revving it quite high or the driving in the early morning or late evening.
Old 26th August 2013, 13:10   #1952
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The new Swift D is way quieter than the old one. And this is true when compared to the current Ritz as well.

MSIL has done a great job in sound deadening. The thin windows lets in a bit of traffic noise and that is true for the old Swift and the Ritz as well. But its hard to hear the MJD unless you are revving it quite high or the driving in the early morning or late evening.
By high revving you say above 3000 rpm and at what rpm is the car at 100 kmph? Is it 2500 rpm?

And I have not noticed this point in the Official Review whether the 3rd still has that movement while your accelerating/decelerating?

Anurag.
Old 26th August 2013, 22:16   #1953
Senior - BHPian

100 KMPH is around 2300 RPM

Quote:
And I have not noticed this point in the Official Review whether the 3rd still has that movement while your accelerating/decelerating?
Didn't get you. What movement while decelerating?
Old 27th August 2013, 16:11   #1954
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Didn't get you. What movement while decelerating?
Initially in these DDiS engines the gearbox was given a movement to cope with the Torque that this engine produced so this was translated to the 3rd gear. When you tap the accelerator pedal with your foot and your palm on gear lever on 3rd gear you feel a forward/backward movement of the lever.

Is this movement in the New Swift?

Hope your doubt is cleared!

Anurag.
Old 27th August 2013, 18:05   #1955
BHPian

Quote:
By high revving you say above 3000 rpm and at what rpm is the car at 100 kmph? Is it 2500 rpm?
Anurag.
I too found it to be around 2200-2300rpm.

Quote:
Initially in these DDiS engines the gearbox was given a movement to cope with the Torque that this engine produced so this was translated to the 3rd gear. When you tap the accelerator pedal with your foot and your palm on gear lever on 3rd gear you feel a forward/backward movement of the lever.

Hope your doubt is cleared!

Anurag.
Could not feel any such movement in the gear knob while accelerating in 3rd gear. Anyway will test it with a conscious mind and report to you.
I felt a problem in slotting the reverse gear during the initial days. But after the 5000km service gear shifts have become really smooth.

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 27th August 2013 at 18:06.
Old 27th August 2013, 18:10   #1956
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
I could not feel any such movement in the gear knob while accelerating in 3 rd gear. Anyway will test it with a conscious mind and report to you.
Thank you. Will wait for your feedback. You'll not notice the movement on acceleration but it come when you tap the pedal. Give it gas and release the leg off the pedal. when you do this you'll get that movement of the gear lever in 3rd gear.

Quote:
I felt a problem in slotting the reverse gear during the initial days. But after the 5000 km service gear shifts have become really smooth.
That is normal as the gearbox is also new and would need time to bed-in so after the run-in period it will be butter smooth in gear slotting.

Slotting to 1st gear from Neutral and from 2nd to 1st also will be a problem in the new gearbox but not after run-in.

Anurag.
Old 27th August 2013, 18:41   #1957
BHPian

In our A-star Vxi, the gear lever exactly moves in a similar fashion as discussed above. If you suddenly press or release the accelerator while in 3rd gear, you can feel the gear lever moving back and forth by about 2mm if you rest your palm on it. I thought it was only specific to A-Star but I am surprised to know about this issue in the new swift. This is only specific to 3RD gear.
Old 27th August 2013, 23:34   #1958
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
I thought it was only specific to A-Star but I am surprised to know about this issue in the new swift. This is only specific to 3RD gear.
It is because of the high torque 190Nm where they have given a slight play in the gear box to compensate the high torque. So that movement is given.

I am surprised that the A-Star also has this problem.

Anurag.
Old 27th August 2013, 23:56   #1959
BHPian

Quote:

It is because of the high torque 190Nm where they have given a slight play in the gear box to compensate the high torque. So that movement is given.

Anurag.
Are you sure about this? Where is this mentioned?

Normally the play is due to imperfect engine mounts or free play in the diff (to be corrected with appropriate shims).
Old 28th August 2013, 00:33   #1960
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post

Are you sure about this? Where is this mentioned?

Normally the play is due to imperfect engine mounts or free play in the diff (to be corrected with appropriate shims).
If that is the case then all the gears must have that issue right?! This is only in the 3rd gear.

Anurag.
Old 28th August 2013, 07:06   #1961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no such movement in our car. I urge you to take a long TD. Right now, its a buyers market, except for the EcoSport maybe.
Old 28th August 2013, 16:15   #1962
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Will wait for your feedback. You'll not notice the movement on acceleration but it come when you tap the pedal. Give it gas and release the leg off the pedal. when you do this you'll get that movement of the gear lever in 3rd gear.
Tried it yesterday night, I couldn't find any movement in the gear stick while suddenly accelerating or removing the leg from the pedal. Tried it today morning also in almost all conditions(from cold start). Never did I feel any such kind of a phenomenon.

The only thing troubling me is my left knee keeps on hitting the lower part of the waterfall center console whenever I access the clutch. Do keep this in mind while TDing the Swift next time.

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 28th August 2013 at 16:18.
Old 28th August 2013, 16:52   #1963
BANNED

Quote:

The only thing troubling me is my left knee keeps on hitting the lower part of the waterfall center console whenever I access the clutch. Do keep this in mind while TDing the Swift next time.
Same thing is there in the Ritz so I'm used it. Such things I don't consider as a deal breaker. I find it Ok so won't be a problem in the Swift.

Though this depends on seat position, height of driver.

Anurag
Old 28th August 2013, 20:16   #1964
BHPian

Quote:
Same thing is there in the Ritz so I'm used it. Such things I don't consider as a deal breaker. I find it Ok so won't be a problem in the Swift.

Though this depends on seat position, height of driver.

Anurag
May be it is a personal thing, I also have the same problem in the Ritz, and gets uncomfortable after long drives, because the knee part rests/touches the hard plastic. So, on bouncy rides, it gets knocked around a bit.
This is something I've not faced in the Swift.
BTW I'm 5' 10"

As suggested by a4anurag, do take a longish TD to make sure you get a comfortable ride. Minor niggles can cause heartburn or leg pain :-) later
Old 30th August 2013, 20:55   #1965
BHPian

http://www.motoroids.com/news/2013-s...u-to-have-fun/

The new facelift swift is to be launched this year. Any information as to when it would be launched? The new swift has the one most important feature for Bangalorean's "auto folding orvm"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks