Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 16:28   #1816

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh.n View Post
Hi Prime,

I've been researching about the Swift and about to book one probably this week. Just needed some quick advice. Though all are appreciating the ride quality and the enhancements of the new Swift, the frequent concern shared by many was the braking efficiency. Please let me know how good is the braking in bumper-to-bumper traffic and at speeds below 40 km. I confronted the dealer on this aspect who allayed my fears saying that with every batch the errors of previous ones are rectified. I don't know how far this was true.
Hi adarsh, yes the breaking is a serious issue in swift but again it all depends on the driver. Initially I had concerns on the low speed breaking but after the ECU reset, it's a different experience altogether. There are no issues whatsoever, and most importantly the driver should calibrate himself accordingly for optimum breaking.
Prime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 18:35   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Prime,

I've been researching about the Swift and about to book one probably this week. Just needed some quick advice. Though all are appreciating the ride quality and the enhancements of the new Swift, the frequent concern shared by many was the braking efficiency. Please let me know how good is the braking in bumper-to-bumper traffic and at speeds below 40 km. I confronted the dealer on this aspect who allayed my fears saying that with every batch the errors of previous ones are rectified. I don't know how far this was true.
Welcome to the forum. You may not find much difficulties in breaking. As said you may need to adjust your driving style and breaking according to the capability of car. You may find some problem with rattling of the car though.
devil_klm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 12:09   #1818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Welcome to the forum. You may not find much difficulties in breaking. As said you may need to adjust your driving style and breaking according to the capability of car. You may find some problem with rattling of the car though.
Hi,

Can you please tell me what is the nature of this rattling and is this a serious issue that i should re-consider my decision of booking Swift.

-Adarsh
Old 13th March 2013, 10:40   #1819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Can you please tell me what is the nature of this rattling and is this a serious issue that i should re-consider my decision of booking Swift.

-Adarsh
After 62k on odometer and 5 years of ownership of previous gen swift, I hear slight vibration from my front door panels. That probably is coming due to installation of bit over sized speakers.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 11:01   #1820
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

-Adarsh
You can get a testdrive of swift from various dealership and check it. Make sure the car has crossed a more than 10K. I never recoment to avoid swift from your list since this is an all rounder car for common man. And dont forget the resale value and service network. If you are going for ZX/Di, may be you can finalize it after checking other options. Good to go for other varients.
Old 13th March 2013, 14:45   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
You can get a testdrive of swift from various dealership and check it. Make sure the car has crossed a more than 10K. I never recoment to avoid swift from your list since this is an all rounder car for common man. And dont forget the resale value and service network. If you are going for ZX/Di, may be you can finalize it after checking other options. Good to go for other varients.
Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. I test drove a dzire and liked it immediately. I missed to note the km's it had done. I liked the look and feel and am convinced with the overall package. Could not find any issues with braking (probably since it was a ZXI), but there were no rattling either. I felt the steering a bit sensitive which i may get used to over a period. I was impressed with the maneuverability. I expect the same overall comfort and convenience with Swift as they are from the same stable. Still i plan to do a test drive in a couple of days.

Since my predominant usage for the time being will be within city limits, Swift is an immediate match to my requirements. But given the fact that the price difference between Swift and Dzire (VXi) is not much didn't want to miss the opportunity of owning a sedan. I am thoroughly confused now on which one to opt.!!

- Adarsh
Old 13th March 2013, 15:20   #1822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Swift is an immediate match to my requirements. But given the fact that the price difference between Swift and Dzire (VXi) is not much didn't want to miss the opportunity of owning a sedan. I am thoroughly confused now on which one to opt.!!
- Adarsh
The Dzire is undoubtedly a great buy compared to the Swift. Infact, I consider the Dzire a better buy than any other hatch because
  1. It comes with a 300 l boot. This is the biggest utility compared to the cramped and in-efficient boot space of the Swift
  2. The ambiance in the rear seat. The Swift has a cargo like ambiance in the rear. In Dzire, it's much improved with more glass area.
  3. The price difference is not too much
Go for the Dzire and not the Swift. You will thank me for this later.
Old 13th March 2013, 15:25   #1823
Senior - BHPian

The Zdi, VDi and LDi are readily available in Coimbatore now.
Old 13th March 2013, 15:37   #1824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since my predominant usage for the time being will be within city limits, Swift is an immediate match to my requirements. But given the fact that the price difference between Swift and Dzire (VXi) is not much didn't want to miss the opportunity of owning a sedan. I am thoroughly confused now on which one to opt.!!
- Adarsh
No intentions of confusing you further but since you already like the Dzire after the TD, may I suggest you TD the Sunny too once just for the sake of it. The price differential is not too much and you might be able to even get good discounts on the Petrol variants. The features are as good as the Dzire and the interior space is phenomenal. Just a thought.
Old 13th March 2013, 16:39   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
No intentions of confusing you further but since you already like the Dzire after the TD, may I suggest you TD the Sunny too once just for the sake of it.
Sunny is good if it is chauffeur driven. No point driving a bigger car when you dont need that space. Moreover, after sales and service of Nissan will take years (if not decades) to match with Maruti's.
Old 13th March 2013, 17:11   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The Dzire is undoubtedly a great buy compared to the Swift.
It might be a great buy if you need 300L boot and better non cargo rear seat. But what if you don't carry that much luggage and your seat are empty most of the time? In that case you can avoid that weird boot (completely my opinion, no offense please). Or whenever you see other dezire's, you will be happy to not have that rear end.
Old 13th March 2013, 17:28   #1827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post

Sunny is good if it is chauffeur driven. No point driving a bigger car when you dont need that space. Moreover, after sales and service of Nissan will take years (if not decades) to match with Maruti's.
True. But when you are considering the dzire then you can consider the other sedans too I guess. Anyways it was a suggestion so that the OP knows what all are the options available.

As far as after sales is considered not sure i understand your point. What extra does Maruti offer you? Nissan is as good if not better both in terms of efficiency and cost. Have you faced any issue with it?
Old 13th March 2013, 17:51   #1828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
It might be a great buy if you need 300L boot and better non cargo rear seat. But what if you don't carry that much luggage and your seat are empty most of the time? In that case you can avoid that weird boot (completely my opinion, no offense please). Or whenever you see other dezire's, you will be happy to not have that rear end.
2 factors
  1. Practicality vs Aesthetics. I tend to give priority towards practicality more. So, if something provides me utility ( even at the cost of aesthetics ), I'll go for it. Moreover, the new Dzire is not aesthetically bad according to me ( compared to the old model )
  2. I made an assumption that we buy a car for atleast 5 years ( For me, a car's lifetime is 10 years ). So, even if we might not need boot space today, it will come up at some point. I'm experienced in this because, our family had bought a hatch without good boot space around 14 years back and then realized the mistake as time changed. The mentality we had at that time was the same as you mentioned.
Quote:
True. But when you are considering the dzire then you can consider the other sedans too I guess. Anyways it was a suggestion so that the OP knows what all are the options available.
Dzire is not a proper sedan. It's kind of a super hatch. Nothing more than that. So, the upgrade is more easier. With Nissan Sunny, it's taking it to another level.

Quote:
As far as after sales is considered not sure i understand your point. What extra does Maruti offer you? Nissan is as good if not better both in terms of efficiency and cost. Have you faced any issue with it?
Maruti's service & maintenance cost is over rated especially on the newer cars. I had done a comparo of Etios vs Swift vs Figo some time back.

Quote:
I had done an analysis some time back on why the Etios is so cheap to maintain. Here is what I came up with.

Attachment 1061017
So, someone else might want to compare it with Nissan to see if this myth of Maruti being easy to maintain is true or not.
Old 13th March 2013, 19:59   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
2 factors
  1. Practicality vs Aesthetics
Yes you are right, it depends on individuals. Boot is not important for me. If you need to carry more luggage and the looks is digestible, dezire is a good option.

In my case its different. I wouldn't even dream of buying it. There is a limit of luggage which you can carry in the boot, even if its the dezire. I'll limit the limit very low . And I don't think I might need that much boot as in the dezire even after 10yrs. I had plenty of space in the boot of my indica even with the sub woofer! Had no problem for almost 6yrs. So, If I need the space, keep the sub in home and carry the luggage. The aesthetics is the prime concern to me.

I won't go for the dezire untill someone modify the rear end or make it some estate like thing.
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 20:17   #1830
BHPian

^^
Practicality - For Adarsh this is a self drive within city limits. I would advice to go for a hatch in the busy cities due to the terrific traffic. First decide on sedan or hatch and start market study i would suggest. Go for a sedan only of needed. Had seen lot of 2 member families going for sedan only due to price difference and for the 2-3 long drive in a year.

Need of a boot - if you are a 2 member family, hatch is more than enough for next 5 years which is the average life of a car with one person now. Going for a car for the 10th year now may not be practical.

Dezire is not a complete sedan. it is a notch back. Didn't understand " Upgrade is more easier"??

Agreeing on the cost factor. But that depends on the type of oil used also. Don't want to start that debate again

Most Viewed