Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 08:01   #1546
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
One year AFAIK.

Anyone got the ECU update to solve break issue. I checked with pratham motors last week and they were unaware of this.
ECU update has been issued only for Petrol SWIFTs. Diesel cars don’t have any issues with regard to braking at low speeds. The dealer are not aware of the issue. You need to ask the dealers for their TSM (Territory Service Manager). Talk to the TSM and explain the issue, they will update the ECU. I did the same last week. I had asked the TSM what exactly they updated, he said there wasn’t any update but just did a ECU reset. He was a little worried when I uttered the work "Update", he quickly corrected me and said that he has just reset the ECU. Funny bcoz, the reset did not reset my trip meter, clock etc.,.

Maruti wasn’t to do it discreetly because any update to the ECU will require an approval from ARAI and hence in order to avoid the lengthy process and unwanted publicity they have chosen to use the word "reset" rather than "update". The issue with my braking is now resolved.
MutantX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 09:51   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
ECU update has been issued only for Petrol SWIFTs. Diesel cars don’t have any issues with regard to braking at low speeds. The dealer are not aware of the issue. You need to ask the dealers for their TSM (Territory Service Manager). Talk to the TSM and explain the issue, they will update the ECU. I did the same last week. I had asked the TSM what exactly they updated, he said there wasn’t any update but just did a ECU reset. He was a little worried when I uttered the work "Update", he quickly corrected me and said that he has just reset the ECU. Funny bcoz, the reset did not reset my trip meter, clock etc.,.

Maruti wasn’t to do it discreetly because any update to the ECU will require an approval from ARAI and hence in order to avoid the lengthy process and unwanted publicity they have chosen to use the word "reset" rather than "update". The issue with my braking is now resolved.
Aren't you commenting the same too early... when was your ECU updated? But, anyhow it is good that you would be more confident of your car's stopping abilities as compared to earlier .
Old 20th September 2012, 10:04   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Aren't you commenting the same too early... when was your ECU updated? But, anyhow it is good that you would be more confident of your car's stopping abilities as compared to earlier .
It is easy to recreate the issue I had as I had been living with it for the past 10 months. A 100 meters drive at slow speeds+half clutch+multiple brake presses will confirm if the issue is resolved or not. With the ECU update + a newer master cylinder the issue is slow speed braking has been resolved. Please dont confuse yourself with the general weak braking that the new swift has. The ECU update is for slow speed braking only.
MutantX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 10:14   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Then (the weak brakes issues), probably the bigger tyres will help to solve the problem to some extent, or you should try the softer disc pads, but these would replacement too often.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:17   #1550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
It is easy to recreate the issue I had as I had been living with it for the past 10 months. A 100 meters drive at slow speeds+half clutch+multiple brake presses will confirm if the issue is resolved or not. With the ECU update + a newer master cylinder the issue is slow speed braking has been resolved. Please dont confuse yourself with the general weak braking that the new swift has. The ECU update is for slow speed braking only.
So, finally - the main weakness of the new Swift has been resolved by Maruti. That truly makes the Swift the best package in the segment IMO.

Are they doing this 'reset' by themselves during service? Or do we need to alert Swift owners to contact their service centers?
Old 20th September 2012, 10:27   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Done 3000Kms and still going good without any braking issues under my regular usage (which has increased recently) save for an instance i reported earlier while reversing. No update done so far.
Old 20th September 2012, 11:58   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So, finally - the main weakness of the new Swift has been resolved by Maruti. That truly makes the Swift the best package in the segment IMO.
Not yet. This resolved one of the two problems with new Swift/Dzire
a) Issues with all petrol models: Not enough vaccum pressure issue at low rpms
b) Issues with l and V trims: Not enough bite on the brakes when the brakes are rammed in an emergency situation. This is after Maruti removed the mechanical brake assist on non abs model to prevent locking. This was available in non abs models of the earlier Swifts

#With the ECU update, #a seems to be resolved but #b is still an issue on all l and v trims.
Sridhar K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 15:45   #1553
BHPian

off late (past 7 days) i feel that the engine noise has become more intrusive in the cabin. Earlier, after the engine had warmed up, i could hardly hear it in the cabin, now that noise is more noticeable.

I have completed my 2nd service about 15 days back and the oil was not changed as the synthetic change recommendation is at 10k.

Any idea what could be the reason?
Old 21st September 2012, 17:44   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Not yet. This resolved one of the two problems with new Swift/Dzire
a) Issues with all petrol models: Not enough vaccum pressure issue at low rpms
b) Issues with l and V trims: Not enough bite on the brakes when the brakes are rammed in an emergency situation. This is after Maruti removed the mechanical brake assist on non abs model to prevent locking. This was available in non abs models of the earlier Swifts

#With the ECU update, #a seems to be resolved but #b is still an issue on all l and v trims.
My friend got a date for tomorrow (afternoon) for the ECU update on his Dzire VXi. I understand his low speed braking problem will be gone, but, still get his exact feedback for the benefit of all on forum.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 23:01   #1555
AWD
BHPian

Recently I purchased a new Swift Vdi. Im having problems with the seating position in the drivers seat, it sits low & the central console fall remains in contact with my left leg. Also the view upfront is hindered. Sat in a Zdi the other day & adjusted the seat to higher position, I was able to find a better driving position, though not perfect.

Now I would like to purchase a Swift Zdi's drivers seat which comes with seat height adjust mechanism & fit it into my Vdi. Is this doable & how much would it cost me?
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:11   #1556
AWD
BHPian

Went to Maruti dealer today regarding the drivers seat issue. The drivers seat costs ~6k.
They called in a denter who said that Zdi's drivers seat could not be fitted on Vdi. I don't believe this, could someone confirm?

I did not place an order because want to be sure whether Zdi's drivers seat could be fitted on Vdi.
Old 22nd September 2012, 16:08   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD
Went to Maruti dealer today regarding the drivers seat issue. The drivers seat costs ~6k.
They called in a denter who said that Zdi's drivers seat could not be fitted on Vdi. I don't believe this, could someone confirm?

I did not place an order because want to be sure whether Zdi's drivers seat could be fitted on Vdi.
Hi AWD,
Before buying your swift did you not check out the VDI trim as all test drives are only the top end variants.
I would suggest you to stick with the seats on your car as any modification done to it now may not be 100% accurate like a factory fitted car as it might later on tend to make screeching sounds as your car ages.

If you are unable to adjust with the seats then sell this and buy the ZDI variant.
Old 22nd September 2012, 19:20   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD

I too am interested in the Z version driver seat. The Z seat will fit the V and L versions because the seat mounting points on the floor will be the same for all variants. Thanks for posting the price, it's not as costly as I thought it would be.
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:27   #1559
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
Before buying your swift did you not check out the VDI trim as all test drives are only the top end variants.
If you are unable to adjust with the seats then sell this and buy the ZDI variant.
I did check before buying but did not anticipate that a height adjustable drivers seat would make such a difference. Also TD's were available on ZDi only. If I sell it off now, how much would I end up loosing? The cars just 2-3 months & driven only 1k, with all papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The Z seat will fit the V and L versions because the seat mounting points on the floor will be the same for all variants. Thanks for posting the price, it's not as costly as I thought it would be.
I thought so too but the local dealer called in a denter before I placed an order for the replacement seat. The denter said that earlier also a customer wanted similar arrangement but could not be done due to difference in set-up. I did not have enough time that day to ascertain but do not believe what all the denter said.

About the price, I had almost lost hope a couple of days back when I called the dealer to know the price, the store keeper then quoted 20k. I said tata-bye-bye. Its only when I asked them to check in front of me, the figure came down to 6-6.5k. It can go down further if one is open to buying stuff from scrap dealers. I enquired from a couple, though they did not have it in inventory but said could be arranged for ~2.5k.

So we should find out how this is to be done, Im 100% keen on getting the job done.
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:21   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Need help:

Hit a pedestrian and lost the mirror on LHS RVM. Everything (electrical motor, indicator) is working fine. Just the mirror has fallen off and shattered.

Has anyone replaced this part or any idea if ONLY the mirror is available as a part or should I buy the whole assembly?
I'm not sure of the Swift, but my friend paid Rs 600 for replacing only the mirror of his right ORVM in his Hyundai Sonata Embera. My jaw dropped when I heard the price, as I was expecting the whole unit to be changed. Hats off to Hyundai for selling only the mirror, and that too for such a low price for a high-end car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks