Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 18:48   #166
BHPian

re: BumbleBee: First Maruti Swift ZDI in Pune & Team-BHP EDIT: 20,000 km Update on Pg 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Did Mumbai-Shirdi-Nasik over the past 2 days in my ZDi. Thoroughly enjoyed driving on the fantastic Mumbai-Nasik highway. It's a delight piloting the Swift on those twists and long stretches of pristine highways. Ride and handling were excellent.

Throttle response on inclines was fantastic, could navigate some of the inclines even in 4th gear.

Hi fuel_addict,
Will vouch for the road manners of the ZDI. As you mentioned, its a hoot to throw around twisties and straight line stability is immune to crosswinds on the flat fast stretches.
One thing differs though, my ZDI is remapped = zero turbo lag
In the city at slow speeds, just flex your right foot and nirvana.
Out on the highway you are laughing all the waaayyyy

Last edited by ketla2411 : 6th June 2012 at 18:53.
Old 6th June 2012, 21:45   #167
BHPian

re: BumbleBee: First Maruti Swift ZDI in Pune & Team-BHP EDIT: 20,000 km Update on Pg 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketla2411 View Post
Hi fuel_addict,
Will vouch for the road manners of the ZDI. As you mentioned, its a hoot to throw around twisties and straight line stability is immune to crosswinds on the flat fast stretches.
Did you do a remap or added pete's tuning box? Either way, if that can remove the turbolag, wonder why the DDIS engines are not tuned that way by Maruti/FIAT/Tata?
Old 6th June 2012, 22:04   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K

Did you do a remap or added pete's tuning box? Either way, if that can remove the turbolag, wonder why the DDIS engines are not tuned that way by Maruti/FIAT/Tata?
Remaps and tuning boxes only sustain the power range longer.
They can improve driveability and throttle response.
Zero turbo lag is unachievable.
Old 7th June 2012, 00:35   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
That is what I thought too and hence suprised Zero turbo lag was mentioned. Perhaps he meant that improved driveabilty and throttle response make up for the turbo lag.
Old 7th June 2012, 09:41   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
That is what I thought too and hence suprised Zero turbo lag was mentioned. Perhaps he meant that improved driveabilty and throttle response make up for the turbo lag.

Ok Clarification :-
What I ment to convey is the remap has decreased turbo lag to a minimum, (a black hole in standard factory tune) thereby giving you far superior throttle responce in the city, which is where it is needed the most. The gains you get in the midrange are an added bonus by default.
Old 7th June 2012, 11:06   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
. My bad. For some reason, I thought that Sid had gotten the seats done on his recent run down south.
But now that the pics are up, why not get that done in the Bee too, Sid?
I am planning to get the seats done up soon but need to get a good deal the Stanleys are way too expensive.

Got a contact from a friend who works for MBIL who does OEM seat covers. So hopefully will strike a good deal with this guy. Will update this soon.

Quote:
Hi fuel_addict,
Did you get a Cosworth remap or some other?? Please give a review of the performance after the remap. The costing would be helpful as well.

Last edited by Racer_X : 7th June 2012 at 11:12.
Old 7th June 2012, 12:12   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post

Did you get a Cosworth remap or some other?? Please give a review of the performance after the remap. The costing would be helpful as well.
Hi Racer_X
Got my ZDI a Pete's remap. The drivability in the city has improved by leaps and bounds. Its 32k. Smooth as Silk.
A drive to Pune is in the offing, so will post impressions if I pick the ZDI from my lot, which is not likely to happen since that's wifeys
Old 7th June 2012, 12:23   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Racer_X
Got my ZDI a Pete's remap. The drivability in the city has improved by leaps and bounds. Its 32k. Smooth as Silk.
A drive to Pune is in the offing, so will post impressions if I pick the ZDI from my lot, which is not likely to happen since that's wifeys
Let me know when you are coming to Pune. I may be coming to Goa in July. Will meet up.
Old 7th September 2012, 14:29   #174
BHPian

20,000 KM Update!

My journey with BumbleBee has been a fascinating one, to start with this is my first diesel car and I was quite skeptical to start with. But with the need for a hatch and rising petrol prices, I decided to take the plunge. The Bee is a constant companion and is my daily ride, not once has the Bee failed me and keeps crunching miles after miles.

I had planned that the Bee would be my daily ride to work as my daily drive is about 55 kms and on the weekends I would cruise in my Honda City, but it so turned out that I am so much in love with the Bee that I have completely started ignoring the City even on weekends and have clocked just around 1500km in the past year, which includes my dads usage.

The regular highway runs to Belgaum, Kolhapur, Mahableshwar and speed runs on the way to Mumbai & Lonavala side have been awesome. The drivability and stability at high speeds has been good. There has not been a single incident where the brakes have not done their job, as the popular belief suggests otherwise when it comes to the Swift.

Things I Love about the Bee:

Great handling: The cornering has been fun in the ghat sections, it is light and responsive completely chuckable around a corner without ever feeling like you are losing control.

Drivability: Even with the slight turbo lag city driving is a breeze. Due to the relatively light clutch makes even in bumper to bumper traffic is not painful. The low turning radius is also a boon.

Ride Quality: The suspension is well tuned neither too stiff neither too soft, making it a pleasurable experience every time we hit the road.

Features: The standard safety features like ABS, EBD, Airbags provides immense confidence. ABS has been activated a couple of times during heavy braking in the rains but nothing scary.

ICE : Love the black console of the ICE. The quality of the speakers is fantastic for a average music lover like myself.

Fuel efficient: Nothing but great!! 17-18 kmpl with Full A/C in city. Not that I am a complete sedate driver on the highways but still achieved 20+ kmpl on highway runs with Full A/C.

Rattle-free build quality: No rattles even after 20,000 kms, shows that Maruti has taken the efforts to rectify this issue faced in the previous generation of diesel swifts.

Things I loathe:

Boot space : It is pathetic and cannot load more than 2-3 average size suit cases.

Cramped up feeling in the rear : Initially I was quite confident that 2 average size people can sit comfortably, did not realize this till the first time I sat in the rear, no complains about the leg room, but the feeling is not roomy.

Wiper blades : Come on Maruti!! Please provide a good set of blades for the front and rear, had to replace them within the starting days of the monsoon.

Head & fog lamps : They don't seem to be that effective on the highways and during rains. Will need to upgrade soon.

Post 20k servicing report drive:

The air, diesel & oil filters replacement was done as it was mandatory as per schedule. The car feels awesome smoother and peppy after the oil change. I am sticking to mineral for now and will start following 5k oil interval.

The gear oil changed and the coolant topped up. They also cleaned the brakes and caliper pin lubrication (have no clue why that is needed) but gave in as it was just 60 bucks.

There was also a dent on the left hand side below the fog lamp, which was promptly repaired and painted & now you cannot even make out the difference, the SA said there is no need to paint the entire bumper and my men will fix it, the charges were around 600 bucks which I feel is reasonable as the dent was quite bad.

The total estimate for the servicing given by the SA was about 7500/- excluding the denting painting work. I was like . Did not want to ask too many questions over the phone as dad had taken the car to the service station. Called Moralfibre for advice. He told me they are probably adding charges for the wheel alignment, synthetic oil (as Maruti is forcing the change) & other utilities. Don’t get the wheel alignment & balancing done there and stick to the mineral. The max bill should not be more than Rs. 5500, so called up the SA and told him what to do and what not to, also told him I need the car EOD as it causes inconvenience for commuting to work.

I have to give credit to Mahalaxmi for doing a good job and returning the car spic and span and in time.
The final bill amount was 6000/- including the denting and painting work.

Stuff Planned for the Bee.
  1. Stanley covers
  2. Cool air intake
  3. Pete’s box
  4. Custom rotors
  5. HID's
  6. Tyre upgrade

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2012 at 10:55. Reason: As requested
Racer_X is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 18:07   #175
BHPian

Re: 20,000 KM Update!

Quote:
I have completely started ignoring the City even on weekends and have clocked just around 1500km in the past year, which includes my dads usage.

Fuel efficient: Nothing but great!! 17-18 kmpl with Full A/C in city. Not that I am a complete sedate driver on the highways but still achieved 20+ kmpl on highway runs with Full A/C.

Rattle-free build quality: No rattles even after 20,000 kms, shows that Maruti has taken the efforts to rectify this issue faced in the previous generation of diesel swifts.
Do you mean that New Swift Diesel is more pleasurable to drive when compared to your City? If yes, then it is a huge compliment to Swift.

Given an open road & lesser traffic, what is your cruising speed on highways? Are you alone in the car? 20+ FE looks decent. ARAI certificate suggests that new Swift is better than the old one in this deptt. How true is this? My sis's old Swift does return 20+ on highway drives.

No rattling till date is the biggest improvement on new Swift, I feel. I was driving my Sis's 1.5 yr. old Swift VDI with 25k on odo on highways. The rattles all around was horrible. The tyre noise was too much beyound 100 kmph ( Stock MRF tyres). Any improvement here?

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 7th September 2012 at 18:10. Reason: removal
Old 7th September 2012, 18:24   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Do you mean that New Swift Diesel is more pleasurable to drive when compared to your City? If yes, then it is a huge compliment to Swift.
It might be a personal choice, the response and the high when the turbo kicks in is fascinating. You need to drive the new Swift to experience it.

Quote:
Given an open road & lesser traffic, what is your cruising speed on highways? Are you alone in the car? 20+ FE looks decent. ARAI certificate suggests that new Swift is better than the old one in this deptt. How true is this? My sis's old Swift does return 20+ on highway drives.
I can cruise all day on the highway at 100+km/hr, the max I have pushed is 160km/hr on the Kolhapur-Belgaum highway stretch. Yes I was alone in the car then. I have got 20kmpl using the tank full to tank full method.

Quote:
No rattling till date is the biggest improvement on new Swift, I feel. I was driving my Sis's 1.5 yr. old Swift VDI with 25k on odo on highways. The rattles all around was horrible. The tyre noise was too much beyound 100 kmph ( Stock MRF tyres). Any improvement here?
The rattles are not there but the tyre noise is present on 100+ speeds on the stock MRF ZVTS, which I will be upgrading to XM2 or A-Drives.

Last edited by Racer_X : 7th September 2012 at 18:25.
Racer_X is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 08:42   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Drivability: Even with the slight turbo lag city driving is a breeze. Due to the relatively light clutch makes even in bumper to bumper traffic is not painful. The low turning radius is also a boon.

I can confirm the same on my car. Despite the turbo lag, there's no flat spot in the power lower down the rpm range. My city driving rarely engages the turbo. The light clutch is god's gift. Thank god for the rattle free build however a few squeaks and squeals have set in my car but are quite bearable.

Quote:
Wiper blades : Come on Maruti!! Please provide a good set of blades for the front and rear, had to replace them within the starting days of the monsoon.
My wiper blades gave away in the first 2 months of ownership.

Quote:
Head & fog lamps : They don't seem to be that effective on the highways and during rains. Will need to upgrade soon.
I'd say, get headlight adjustment done. Even with stock bulbs on my car, I have loved the beam throw from the lights. They are quite effective.
Old 8th September 2012, 09:15   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had planned that the Bee would be my daily ride to work as my daily drive is about 55 kms

Fuel efficient: Nothing but great!! 17-18 kmpl with Full A/C in city.
This explains the fantastic FE.

Quote:
The gear oil changed and the coolant topped up.
Coolant should be replaced at 20K, not topped up. Cross check the bill.

Quote:
They also cleaned the brakes and caliper pin lubrication (have no clue why that is needed) but gave in as it was just 60 bucks.
Check your bill again. Rs 60 is for the caliper pin grease not for cleaning. Brake cleaning should be Rs 250 for front and 260 for the back.

Quote:
Mods Planned for the Bee.
  1. Stanley covers
  2. Cool air intake
  3. Pete’s box
  4. Custom rotors
  5. HID's
  6. Tyre upgrade
Seat covers is not a mod bro.
Stock air intake is pretty good. Dont go for the green cotton or K&N. Aftermarket filters require frequent cleaning, that too in a dusty city like ours.
Replace the stock filter every 5K kms.
Petes box is a fantastic investment, go ahead. Check RD as well.
Custom rotors - Are you referring to Tarox ? These are expensive, keep us posted.
Tyre upgrade - Go for a upsize to 195. With 20K on your current tyres, resale of these tyres would take a hit.
Old 11th September 2012, 10:59   #179
BHPian

Re: BumbleBee: First Maruti Swift ZDI in Pune & Team-BHP EDIT: 20,000 km Update on Pg

Hello guys can anyone help me with the address/contact for the vendor for Pete's products in Pune.

Planning to visit the place and finalize the box, once it for all...
Old 11th September 2012, 11:26   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Hello guys can anyone help me with the address/contact for the vendor for Pete's products in Pune.

Planning to visit the place and finalize the box, once it for all...
hey buddy,
no petes dealer in pune. you have to source it from Mumbai.

Did you try RD tuning box ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks