Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 10:33   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Manza:: The Story Continues:: 20,000 kms Update

Update

I know for a long time this thread has been silent. Nothing much has been added or done to the car except clocking miles. Its crossed the 20K mark and a couple of days back was its 1st Anniversary.

So as a anniversary gift the car was sent for its 4th free service. Not much complaints except for front suspension noises.

Work done

1. Suspension overhauled under warranty
2. Front right side headlight fogging was corrected by replacing the unit
3. General service and oil change

Observations for the past year

1. The engine has opened up nicely now as its giving really good mileage of 16kpl in city running. I would take that for this 1.5 ton car.
2. No major niggling issues except the rattling noise in the dashboard. This was informed in couple of services but could not be fixed.
3. Excellent highway performer. The car has done some 8 highway trips which includes 3 longish ones and it has never failed to impress.
4. Headlight throw is inconsistent and inadequate but have not been able to do anything about it as both bulbs are H7, hence, no relay kits.
5. Despite its size its really easy to park or wiggle through a narrow gap. The rear parking sensor does help.
6. Maintenance cost of this vehicle amounts to some 1200 bucks monthly if I assume 6k spending on service every 10k kms in a year. This amounts to about a total spending of 3500 on the car including diesel. Of course diesel cost increases on a highway run so rounded off 4000 bucks per month is pretty neat.
7. Insurance costed around 12500 from HDFC Ergo which is pretty good pricing. I guess it pays to be a loyal 9 year old customer with the same bank.

Wish list

1. More engine power. I am planning for a piggyback chip from race-chip to give some semblance of power.
2. Suspension is on the softer side which is good for comfort but it wallows on bad roads, so wish if Tata comes with some upgrade to a more neutral suspension setup. Yes third party is there but don't want to spend a lot.
3. Brakes are good but could have been much better in terms of bite.

So after a year would I still recommend this car to my friends or family. Yes, I would as its easy to maintain and running costs are pretty low.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 17:11   #197
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Manza:: The Story Continues:: 20,000 kms Update

WHITEWHALE becomes WHITE SHARK

Yes the whale partly has converted into a shark with the addition of DieselTronic Tuning Box from Race Dynamics

It has just been fixed so not much update on the performance front but here are some pictures of the install which by the way took just 5 mins. I will be posting performance improvement that I have noticed after the weekend drive so stay tuned.

Thats the RD Box

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-20120928_163501.jpg

Made for Tata Indica (Printing Mistake) Manza

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-20120928_163518.jpg

The box was fitted with double sided tape near the batter on a flat surface. Since its water proof no worries with pressure wash.

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-20120928_163348.jpg

In Tata the connectors are straight forward and easily accessible.

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-20120928_163407.jpg

And thats the DIY I did with the remote. Its cumbersome to carry it around so used 3M double sided tape and stuck it near the steering column.

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-20120928_164921.jpg

Currently using the P1 mode. So this must be the first Manza here to get a shot of adrenaline injection
motomaverick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 17:29   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post

Currently using the P1 mode. So this must be the first Manza here to get a shot of adrenaline injection
Many congratulations on getting the RD for the WhiteShark. Your's is the first Manza to get a shot of adrenaline.

Let me see if I can make mine the first Vista. Keep posting updates on the experience with the box with regards to pickup, turbo lag, mileage, engine response.

All the best!
Old 28th September 2012, 23:24   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Update

Work done

1. Suspension overhauled under warranty
Suspension overhaul in one year! What had happened to the suspension?
Old 30th September 2012, 21:22   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Wish list

1. More engine power. I am planning for a piggyback chip from race-chip to give some semblance of power.
2. Suspension is on the softer side which is good for comfort but it wallows on bad roads, so wish if Tata comes with some upgrade to a more neutral suspension setup. Yes third party is there but don't want to spend a lot.
3. Brakes are good but could have been much better in terms of bite.
In your post you have mentioned about the availability of third party suspension systems. I have been using a Manza for the past 2 years and have tried my level best to acquire some information regarding a better suspension.Would you kindly provide a link

Quote:

Congrats, kindly elaborate upon your perfomance improvement.I fixed a spider tuning box on my Manza 1 year back and I hav'nt stopped smiling since then...

Last edited by Zappo : 24th January 2013 at 12:47. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 30th September 2012, 22:44   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Suspension overhaul in one year! What had happened to the suspension?
By overhauling I meant checking and repair as I had complained about excessive noise when going over humps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiondrive View Post
In your post you have mentioned about the availability of third party suspension systems. I have been using a Manza for the past 2 years and have tried my level best to acquire some information regarding a better suspension.Would you kindly provide a link
I do not exactly know the name and brand but I saw some Bilstien suspension kits from petes and figured out that those can be fixed for any vehicle. Since you are from Kerala I guess you are in a better position to check it out in Kochi.

Quote:
Congrats, kindly elaborate upon your perfomance improvement.I fixed a spider tuning box on my Manza 1 year back and I hav'nt stopped smiling since then...
Yes I have been smiling since Friday and especially on Saturdays drive to Coonoor, will post a detailed review once I am back.
Old 30th September 2012, 22:59   #202
BHPian

Maverick,upgrade your tyres to 195/60/R15.I fixed mine with Bridgestone turanza ER60.The steering feel improves by leaps and bounds.If you are not handling much of rough roads,go for continental premium contact2...you will enjoy your high speeds much better
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:54   #203
Senior - BHPian

Update about the DieselTronic by Race Dynamics on the Manza

First of all I would like to thank myself for taking the decision to get this tuning box fixed. I got this fixed on Friday and had the opportunity to test it out in various road conditions over the long weekend. So below are some of the observations both positive and negative.

City Driving
Mode: P1 (As quoted by RD 20% power gain & 10% mileage gain)
Theoretical gains: 108 Bhp / 240 NM torque

1. As soon as I pulled out of the Race Dynamics factory to do a test drive, I could feel that the engine was revving more freely than before.
  2. Of course our cars will not become a rocket but I do notice that the drivability especially with the a/c on has improved vastly. The turbo comes alive much earlier than before thus improving the bumper to bumper movement with a/c
  3. Yes, there is still turbo lag with the 1.3 multijet but it has vastly reduced. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being greatly improved then I would say that if earlier the lag was around 8 now I would say the lag is around 3-4.
  4. I cannot say much about the mileage at this point of time as I have hardly got a chance to drive in the city after the box was fixed.
  5. Engine heats up a little quicker than before but the temp level has remained the same as it was in stock under running conditions.

Mode: P2 (As quoted by RD 30% power gain)
Theoretical gains: 117 Bhp / 260 NM torque

1. I just used the P2 mode when test driving and it just blew my mind. The car feels weightless when accelerating and it just surges forward.
  2. I would not advice anyone with a Manza using the P2 mode as the car becomes uncontrollable under hard acceleration.

Highway Driving
Mode: P1 (As quoted by RD 20% power gain & 10% mileage gain)
Theoretical gains: 108 Bhp / 240 NM torque

Bangalore to Coonoor via the Masinagudi Ghats
  1. The car just drove like a dream in the P1. All the time I was on the P1 mode itself.
  2. The first thing that I noticed the difference is the roll on speeds. In 5th gear at around 80kph, slight tap of the accelerator and the car surges forward towards the 120kph in no time. In terms of gaining on other cars all I can say that 1 scorpio and 1 innova were always literally left standing when the car accelerated. Maybe the drivers of these cars did not react as quickly but all the 3 cars including mine must have been around 60-70kph. The first time it happened I was curious and thought their reaction time was slow but then it happened 3-4 more times which bought a huge grin on my face.
  3. The 36 hairpin ghat climb was also done in P1 mode and there were no issues at all. Since the engine was revving freely I could take almost 70% of the hairpin turns in 2nd gear. The rest of the time I had to go down to 1st due to other cars in front who were struggling like crazy.
  4. It was also fun to see the faces of other drivers when you overtake them during the climb and that too on a Tata car

Coonoor to Bangalore via Salem
  1. The return journey was planned via Salem due to the ongoing Kaveri river issue. This route is around 100kms more than the usual Mysore route. This route provided one more type of road to test the box which is the express way.
  2. The only difference this time as compared to the Blr Mysore drive was that we had the a/c on all the time.
  3. But a/c absolutely had no effect on the performance of the car. It was flying as usually it would without the a/c. Though I did not cross 120 around 98% of the times.
  4. Here also on super fast express ways the car showed good roll on acceleration. In fact in terms of real world gains I would say except for Verna I do not think any of the stock diesel sedans selling in the C category can catch up to this shark.

Let me unfold the scenario below:

Quote:
Like it usually happens some point on our highways you have to slow down for couple of trucks blocking both the lanes. On one such occasion I was reduced to around 40kph in 3rd gear. I saw that I had a swift and a Fiesta behind me almost tail gating literally trying to push their way through. But since you are at the front you get the gap so you move away from the trucks to find clear road, the other two also do the same and then I press the accelerator while still in 3rd gear. One look at the IRVM and I could see both of them literally standing still wondering how is the whale sprinting forward so fast. Shift to 4th and the Manza has put almost 100ft distance. I knew they are trying hard as there was black smoke coming from their cars as well indicating turbo. The smile that comes to you when this happens 5-6 times is priceless and worth everything.
Quote:
So would I recommend this box to fellow Manza or 1.3 multijet owners? Well you can answer this question yourself by reading the following:

I traveled 740 kms overall in 3 different types of scenarios. 41% of this distance was on fast express way with speeds between 100 – 120. 15% has been on the hills. 30% of the distance on 2 lane State Highways. But I still got an overall mileage of 19.6 kpl with all the other benefits that has been mentioned above.
Finer Points
  • The RD box retains the last setting used even if the engine is off, so no resetting occurs.
  • No in dash remote planned, so I just used 3M double sided tape and stuck the remote near the steering as shown in my previous post.
  • Installation was just 5 mins and plug and play. No errors on display or anything.
  • The RD box is completely water proof so need not worry when giving the car for a wash.
  • Maps can be changed based on gains preferred but I found the default ones that comes from RD for the 1.3 are good enough
  • No increase in black smoke under acceleration. The amount of smoke is similar to what the car used to generate under stock conditions.
  • No increase in engine noise as well and the engine does not feel strained.
  • Engine does heat up quickly now but the temp levels has not increased over what it was before.
motomaverick is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:05   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Update about the DieselTronic by Race Dynamics on the Manza[/list]
Congratulations! I am sure we will hear more about your drive experiences in the days to come. One question? Does it have an effect on warranty?? Do you plan to disassemble when giving it to TASC?
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:20   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Congratulations! I am sure we will hear more about your drive experiences in the days to come. One question? Does it have an effect on warranty?? Do you plan to disassemble when giving it to TASC?
Yeah I will remove the box when giving for service but then service is long way off at 30k. Not sure on warranty as there has been no cutting or splicing of electrical but it does play around with the ECU Since it does not leave any traces once removed there should not be any problem. Removal is childs play as you just have to remove the connectors.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:32   #206
BHPian

re: Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms

Yipee..having one hell of a time with that black box eh? What was your usual mileage before? Yes you have to remove the box before taking it to the service centre,otherwise they can play around with your warranty.
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:09   #207
Senior - BHPian

I recently (yesterday !) drove a Dzire with the RD box and I know how you must be grinning while driving .

The car behaves totally differently. The acceleration on P2 is amazing, even in 4th & 5th gears. After that I put it onto E mode and its the opposite, lazy as hell !! The E mode is actually slower than the stock Dzire map.

Your's being the 90HP version of the 1.3, I'm sure the power band must be much wider.
Old 4th October 2012, 10:17   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yipee..having one hell of a time with that black box eh? What was your usual mileage before? Yes you have to remove the box before taking it to the service centre,otherwise they can play around with your warranty.
Earlier the usual mileage in city was around 14-15 and highway used to always average out at around 18 at the end of a trip. But this time at the end of the trip it avg out at 19.6 which is fantastic as it comes with other perks as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I recently (yesterday !) drove a Dzire with the RD box and I know how you must be grinning while driving .

The car behaves totally differently. The acceleration on P2 is amazing, even in 4th & 5th gears. After that I put it onto E mode and its the opposite, lazy as hell !! The E mode is actually slower than the stock Dzire map.

Your's being the 90HP version of the 1.3, I'm sure the power band must be much wider.
Dzire will feel much more lively as the weight of the car is lesser than Manza. The Manza weighs in at 1.5 ton so this box has certainly added more zing to its step. Tata should tweak the engine some more or but a dual mode turbo to make this car more lively right from the factory to appeal to young folks. I feel the Manza is no longer a retired persons daily drive as the market now has a host of mods for the car.

I have not tried the E mode as the P1 itself is keeping me happy for now. I want to get a Dyno run done to see what are the actual gains.

Last edited by motomaverick : 4th October 2012 at 10:20.
Old 8th October 2012, 10:21   #209
Senior - BHPian

Ok here another small update. A cosmetic one only. After the transformation of the car drive wise, I thought why not put a small emblem signifying that transformation. So got a $2 (free shipping) Transformers Autobot logo from ebay.

Here is the new Autobot!

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-20121007_140935.jpg

Last edited by motomaverick : 8th October 2012 at 10:22.
Old 26th October 2012, 15:54   #210
BHPian

After following this thread closely and driving the Stock & RD and Manza (Courtesy :Motomaverick) , I will say that it’s a worth 20k upgrade:

Range of Test Drive : 6 KMs of Kanakpura Road Traffic + 7 ~ Kms on NICE Road X 2 [Entray and exit from Kanakpura Road ] +6 KMs of Kanakpura Road Traffic = 26~27 KMs

RD ECU Mode: P1
  • Engine is butter smooth
  • Turbokick is linear from 1800 RPM
  • Loads & Loads of torque from 1200~1500 RPM (Forget about Down shifting just tap the accelerator). Drivability has improved vastly.
  • Double to Triple digit speed roll-on is breeze. Tapped the throttle at 80 KMPH 5th gear and Manza was doing 140 with ease. Felt like there were some more horses to be unleashed.

Space / Convenience /Comfort offered by TATA Manaza +Fiat MJD Engine+RaceDynamics ECU=

Couldn’t help writing this but breaking department of Manza definitely need attention to handle the additional adrenaline. Probably upgrading the footwear (We Discussed about the Alloy+Tyre Scenerio) should take care of it.

This all comes with a diesel Mileage of 18 KM/PL My personal kudos to RD folks for doing such a awesome work :-)
M.R.Boruwa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks