Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 09:50   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Cigarette Lighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hi guys, a rather silly question. I have attached a USB outlet to the lighter socket to charge my smartphone. Its going good so far. My question is: can I connect a *cheap* USB hub to the lighter socket and charge 4 or 5 smartphones (or maybe 4 or 5 smartphone / GPS device / mp3 player combinations) at the same time? Is it advisable to connect more than 1 device to the lighter socket for charging?
Get a Tom Tom multi port charger. IT comes with 2 USB ports(2A and 1A) and also a cigarette lighter post. In effect you do not lose the lighter port where you can plug in another charger. So you can charge total 3 devices at once which is a very good option.

I am using it for a couple of months and it is working very well
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 10:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Get a Tom Tom multi port charger. IT comes with 2 USB ports(2A and 1A) and also a cigarette lighter post. In effect you do not lose the lighter port where you can plug in another charger. So you can charge total 3 devices at once which is a very good option.

I am using it for a couple of months and it is working very well
Thanks for the pointer. Tried in AZ, FK & SD. Product is sold out. :(
Old 18th September 2015, 13:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you're in Bangalore and close to JC road, Nitin Automobiles had it in stock when I last visited him about 45 days ago.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 14:00   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Check this out. Cheaper than what i paid on Amazon

http://www.infibeam.com/Auto_Accesso...282-cat-z.html
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 14:51   #35
BHPian

Raking up an old topic :

It appears that my 12V socket in swift is blowm up. I was charging my phone battery through 12V socket. Due to cheap construction of the charger, it appears that the fuse of the 12V socket got blown. I could smell the burning smell in the car.

When this happened, momemtarily, my car audio system got switched off and it came back online on its own.

Planning to replace the fuse. Can anyone guide me on the AMP rating of the fuse for 12V socket ?

Does this fuse and the music system fuse tap the same location ? Just wondering.

Any guidance is appreciated
Old 24th August 2016, 17:56   #36
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Raking up an old topic :

It appears that my 12V socket in swift is blowm up. I was charging my phone battery through 12V socket. Due to cheap construction of the charger, it appears that the fuse of the 12V socket got blown. I could smell the burning smell in the car.

When this happened, momemtarily, my car audio system got switched off and it came back online on its own.

Planning to replace the fuse. Can anyone guide me on the AMP rating of the fuse for 12V socket ?

Does this fuse and the music system fuse tap the same location ? Just wondering.

Any guidance is appreciated
If the Music system has come back to life after momentary blackout, there is no issue with the music system fuse.

Usually, the lighter socket is rated for 120W, hence takes a 10A fuse. Some cars take 15A fuse covering for surges.

On a different topic, One of my friend found out the hard way, Ford does not use the standard fuse type. some strange type which is not readily available locally. and cost rs 76.00
DRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 18:42   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Identify the fuse. The fuse will have the rating on it. Else, even the color of the fuse should be sufficient for the shop guy to give you the correct rating.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 08:56   #38
BHPian

Hello
Can anyone help me identify the fuse for the cigarette lighter socket of a VW VENTO TSI early 2014 model ?
It seems to be blown !
Thanks !
Old 11th April 2018, 15:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

While looking for accessories for my TUV, I found this on AMAZON INDIA
But I will also say: Quit smoking - Save that money - Splurge on your car.
Car Cigarette Lighters-new-picture-1.jpg

Regards-Sonu
Old 11th April 2018, 16:21   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Hello
Can anyone help me identify the fuse for the cigarette lighter socket of a VW VENTO TSI early 2014 model ?
It seems to be blown !
Thanks !
Time to get out that instruction manual. The location, fuse number along with the rating should be available there.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Time to get out that instruction manual. The location, fuse number along with the rating should be available there.

Regards,

Saket

Hello
Many thanks ! Unfortunately the manual I have does not mention the locations or the rating !
Car Cigarette Lighters-imageuploadedbyteambhp1525243038.651850.jpg
Would be really glad if someone could share the same !
Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 16:04   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Check the fuse box cover in the car. There should be a diagram and rating of the fuse on it.
Old 4th May 2018, 17:33   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Many thanks ! Unfortunately the manual I have does not mention the locations or the rating ! Would be really glad if someone could share the same ! Thanks
It may be in a section of the manual that deals with trouble shooting. All car manuals have this information. Please recheck.

There are two places where a fuse can be, under the bonnet along with the main fuses OR under the dashboard. The fuse box cover has a diagram which will pinpoint the location & purpose of each fuse in that box.

PS - Saw the pic of your manual. That's a pretty lame excuse by VW. Trust these morons to have the customer depend on the service centre for every single thing minor or not. What happens if a fuse blows on a highway far away from a service centre?

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th May 2018 at 17:39.
Old 4th May 2018, 19:42   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It may be in a section of the manual that deals with trouble shooting. All car manuals have this information. Please recheck.

There are two places where a fuse can be, under the bonnet along with the main fuses OR under the dashboard. The fuse box cover has a diagram which will pinpoint the location & purpose of each fuse in that box.

PS - Saw the pic of your manual. That's a pretty lame excuse by VW. Trust these morons to have the customer depend on the service centre for every single thing minor or not. What happens if a fuse blows on a highway far away from a service centre?

Hello

The manual does give the locations of the fuse boxes but like it was stated in the manual the layout was not given anywhere else !
In my case my fuse did blow whilst on a highway trip !
Anyways thanks to the internet;& "team BHP" was able to get a layout diagram and trace the faulty fuse and surprisingly found a spare fuse of the same rating along with the bulbs given as part of the spare tyre kit ! replaced same and things are fine now ! Got to order a replacement fuse kit though!
😊
Old 4th May 2018, 20:28   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The manual does give the locations of the fuse boxes but like it was stated in the manual the layout was not given anywhere else! In my case my fuse did blow whilst on a highway trip !
I'd suggest familiarising yourself with the car's electrical system, including bulb replacements (mainly tail lights, indicator and headlight bulbs) and fuse replacements. If possible keep a PDF copy of your owners manual on your smartphone.

Quote:
Anyways thanks to the internet;& "team BHP" was able to get a layout diagram and trace the faulty fuse and surprisingly found a spare fuse of the same rating along with the bulbs given as part of the spare tyre kit ! replaced same and things are fine now ! Got to order a replacement fuse kit though!
If you can't get them from VW there are plenty of fuse kits available on Amazon India. Just make sure you get the right type and rating for your car.

You will also find a fuse puller in that fuse box. Helps you pluck those stubborn fuses out of their slots.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks