Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Car Cigarette Lighters

Hi,

Most of the Car Cigarette Lighters comes without the fuse [eg. Xenos ]. I need to put one for my santro so that i can use to charge my phone. Any advice on how to proceed?

The one i currently have in the car [Santro]has blown 3 mobile chargers, [1 belkin, 1 normal and other a normal non branded one]. I am afraid to put new charger in to the existing socket. Any possible reasons?

Thanks,
Prakash.
Old 23rd September 2013, 22:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think the lighter/accessory line is fused. I had found the wire in my Santro (and allother cars which did not have factory installed lighters). These days quite often you get a closed power socket without the lighter.
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:26   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse View Post
Hi,

Most of the Car Cigarette Lighters comes without the fuse [eg. Xenos ]. I need to put one for my santro so that i can use to charge my phone. Any advice on how to proceed?

The one i currently have in the car [Santro]has blown 3 mobile chargers, [1 belkin, 1 normal and other a normal non branded one]. I am afraid to put new charger in to the existing socket. Any possible reasons?

Thanks,
Prakash.
The fuse is there on the line. Max current rating is usually 15A.
When you say "blown" 3 mobile chargers, what do you mean "blown". Did they burn up or something?
If not, then open up the front part and see if the fuse is blown. If its the fuse, the cause could be the load you are putting on the 3 chargers, rather than the socket itself. Unless there is something seriously wrong with your alternator, your socket cannot blow anything up.
Old 24th September 2013, 10:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The fuse is there on the line. Max current rating is usually 15A. ...
Correct. However, any electrical equipment that one puts into the socket should have a fast-blow fuse suitable for it's own rating. This fuse is usually present in the cylinder that goes into the socket.

Unscrew the plug top (where there is a spring-loaded contact that makes contact with the center pin of the socket) and the fuse should be behind the spring. In some equipment, one end of the fuse itself forms the contact. If there is no fuse, the equipment will fail before the ACC line fuse blows.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 17:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
The fuse is there on the line. Max current rating is usually 15A.
When you say "blown" 3 mobile chargers, what do you mean "blown". Did they burn up or something?
If not, then open up the front part and see if the fuse is blown. If its the fuse, the cause could be the load you are putting on the 3 chargers, rather than the socket itself. Unless there is something seriously wrong with your alternator, your socket cannot blow anything up.
Hi,

Yes the charger did burn up giving smoke. I am really wondering why this is happening. The charger was installed at authorized service center [Hyundai]. Any insights?

Thanks,
Senthil.
Old 24th September 2013, 17:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse View Post
Hi,

Yes the charger did burn up giving smoke. I am really wondering why this is happening. The charger was installed at authorized service center [Hyundai]. Any insights?

Thanks,
Senthil.
You mean to say the charger burned up, i.e. your mobile phone charger, or did the socket itself burn up?
When charger gave smoke, was anything connected to the line?
Can you use a digital multimeter to see the voltage being given out?
Old 24th September 2013, 19:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
You mean to say the charger burned up, i.e. your mobile phone charger, or did the socket itself burn up?
When charger gave smoke, was anything connected to the line?
Can you use a digital multimeter to see the voltage being given out?
I burnt up the mobile phone charger. Socket is fine. Nothing was connected to the mobile phone charger. The moment i pushed the Belkin charger i heard a 'put' sound and smoke came up. The i tried a different mobile cahrger then also same result but without sound. I wil let you know the voltage. need to visit a workshop near by for same.

Also when i switch on the AC, after 20 mins or so the AC switch itself is pretty warm. Is it normal?

Thanks,
Prakash.
Old 24th September 2013, 20:47   #23
Team-BHP Support

In that case, lets find out the voltage. What you are describing is quite strange... Also check if the -ve and +ve of the lighter are not reversed. The outer shell is supposed to be ground, and center is +ve.
Old 28th September 2013, 21:21   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I understood exactly. The roadside mechanic will replace the fuse for the cigarette lighter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Reconnect the battery and your socket should work again if the fuse is intact. If not, any auto electrician will replace the fuse in 5 min. Taking it to MASS involves too much time for too minor a bit of work IMHO.
Thanks guys. Took it to my neighbourhood battery guy. there was a 15A fuse (in the area under the steering wheel) which was faulty. He replaced that it started working fine. Total charges Rs. 50.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 12:21   #25
BHPian

I am planning to buy Targus Automotive 200W Power Inverter for fast charging my phone and simultaneously laptop.

Any suggestions and reviews will be helpful.

Car Cigarette Lighters-car-charger.jpg
Old 7th July 2015, 12:25   #26
BHPian

Hello People,

I would appreciate your reply for the above post. Pls. also do inform in case you feel, some other company Car laptop chargers are reliable.

Thanks

Amit

Last edited by amitpunjani : 7th July 2015 at 12:27.
Old 16th September 2015, 17:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
I am planning to buy Targus Automotive 200W Power Inverter for fast charging my phone and simultaneously laptop.

Any suggestions and reviews will be helpful.

Attachment 1389545
Hi Amit,
Did you purchase the product? I am looking for something similar but I am confused between this and the Belkin inverter. How is your experience with this?
Old 18th September 2015, 01:05   #28
BHPian

Hi guys, a rather silly question. I have attached a USB outlet to the lighter socket to charge my smartphone. Its going good so far. My question is: can I connect a *cheap* USB hub to the lighter socket and charge 4 or 5 smartphones (or maybe 4 or 5 smartphone / GPS device / mp3 player combinations) at the same time? Is it advisable to connect more than 1 device to the lighter socket for charging?
Old 18th September 2015, 02:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hi guys, a rather silly question. I have attached a USB outlet to the lighter socket to charge my smartphone. Its going good so far. My question is: can I connect a *cheap* USB hub to the lighter socket and charge 4 or 5 smartphones (or maybe 4 or 5 smartphone / GPS device / mp3 player combinations) at the same time? Is it advisable to connect more than 1 device to the lighter socket for charging?
Try using a branded device to charge multiple devices, AFAIK charging point won't have any issues, But using cheap USB hub to charge multiple devices might have negative affect on your devices.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 07:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Yes you can but its not advised. Even the very good chargers put out 2A, if you connect 4 devices, the average current will be around 0.5A which is already a bit slow.

Instead you can get those multiple cigarette lighter sockets and multiple chargers with 2/3 ports each.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks