Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 16:32   #616
BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
I have this on my 2010 Civic VMT (on 205/65/R15 Yokohama Earths) since last 4 months and it has definitely made and difference. Its quite simple, a rubber disc which sits on top of your rear springs. I have used the car for few long trips already including a Konkan trip where lot of road work is in progress and I am happy that car did not scrape anywhere. I also have Roger AB (replaced those along with the Newtech installation - the earlier one installed in 2013 were cracked). The car is definitely stiffer and it has the issues you get with stiff suspension. However, on balance I am happy with the change and on one of the roads from Nagpur, I was easily able to overtake an XUV on a very bad road!
Hi. Have you used these ?
Request you to please share your feedback.

After going through lot of positive feedbacks about Rogerab coil spring buffers, I have installed it in my Honda City VMT 2011 (all 4 pieces are of same size-B, unlike some posts which mentions different sizes for rear & front) at Mehta Tyres, Swargate-Pune.
I have even upgraded Tyres at same place/time to MRP Perfinzas 195/60/R15 from stock Michelin 175/65/R15 (Yes, previous owner did not change tyres for straight 10 years & I have verified Mfg date on previous tyres).

Post installation, I feel that Ride quality has been compromised, especially on bad roads. I can feel even smallest of pot-holes/undulations inside cabin.
It feels painful when I'm sitting in 2 segment above car & Ride quality is a segment or two lower.
I have even tried various Tyre-pressure combinations ranging from 28 to 32 psi, but there is no significant difference.

Experienced folks, please comment/help a newbie.

Note : My previous ride has been WagonR & I replaced it with pre-worshipped Honda City few months back.
Old 12th July 2021, 17:12   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdSpeaks View Post

Post installation, I feel that Ride quality has been compromised, especially on bad roads. I can feel even smallest of pot-holes/undulations inside cabin.
It feels painful when I'm sitting in 2 segment above car & Ride quality is a segment or two lower.
You know the answer - but you need some motivation - Get rid of them please.

Was the car still running on stock suspension? If the answer is yes, then you first need to get the suspension overhauled. 10 years is a long time. Replace struts, replace dampers and if the rear springs have sagged, that too needs to go. A spring stores energy and then releases it, when you stop the spring from doing its job - the energy reaches your cabin, it also upsets the balance of the vehicle.

You have already made a mistake with the tires but next time remember this, Michelins energy XM series stock size or one size up is the best tires for City of that vintage, a more commonly available replacement that is good now is Yokohama Earth 1 series.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 17:45   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You know the answer - but you need some motivation - Get rid of them please.

Was the car still running on stock suspension? If the answer is yes, then you first need to get the suspension overhauled. 10 years is a long time. Replace struts, replace dampers and if the rear springs have sagged, that too needs to go. A spring stores energy and then releases it, when you stop the spring from doing its job - the energy reaches your cabin, it also upsets the balance of the vehicle.

You have already made a mistake with the tires but next time remember this, Michelins energy XM series stock size or one size up is the best tires for City of that vintage, a more commonly available replacement that is good now is Yokohama Earth 1 series.
Actually, after upgrading tyres & installing Rogerab spacers, I took my car
straight to Honda ASS (Deccan Honda Pimpri) for servicing & check-up. SA over there plainly refused that there is any problem with my car's suspensions.
So, I have ruled out this option (Basic premise is that SA would never try to miss such opportunity to get such work done on any car, even if suspension is slightly damaged).

I agree with you about job of coil spring in a suspension. But, I can't live with my car bottoming out at every alternate speed breaker either. So, thats why I need some advise to get this issue sorted out. I am fine with compromising on Ride quality slightly.
Old 12th July 2021, 18:01   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But, I can't live with my car bottoming out at every alternate speed breaker either. So, thats why I need some advise to get this issue sorted out. I am fine with compromising on Ride quality slightly.
Only way is to look for stiffer aftermarket options for coil spring for your car.

There is a company called Dr Nano who make stiffer coil springs for many cars. You can check with them if they have reinforced coil springs for your car. I have them on my car and am pretty happy with the product. The car does not sag much even with 4 people on board and does not scrap small and medium speed breakers with full load. This used to happen with OEM coil springs.

PS - I am no way affiliated with the company. Just a satisfied customer of their product

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 12th July 2021 at 18:02.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 18:31   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
SA over there plainly refused that there is any problem with my car's suspensions. So, I have ruled out this option (Basic premise is that SA would never try to miss such opportunity to get such work done on any car, even if suspension is slightly damaged).

I agree with you about job of coil spring in a suspension. But, I can't live with my car bottoming out at every alternate speed breaker either. So, thats why I need some advise to get this issue sorted out. I am fine with compromising on Ride quality slightly.
While it is common for the city to scrape its belly due to lack of ground clearance, bottoming out the suspension on normal roads is because the springs and dampers are worn out. You may need to get this inspected by someone competent.

Once you restore the suspension to its original spec (assuming this is a 2009-2014 model), the first ride on an express way will be unforgettable. Just wafts along , smooth and silent.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 20:42   #621
BHPian

I am thinking of installing these on my 2013 Honda City. Just wanted to ask fellow members who have already done this on how these adjusters have been holding up.

A post like this one (Post 613 (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)) does make me nervous.

However, the way I thought about it is that just like suspension components even these adjusters will be wear and tear items that need to be replaced. As long as they don't cause drastic compromises with the handling of a car, I can make peace with the recurring expense.
Old 13th August 2021, 21:13   #622
BHPian

I am looking for ways I can increase the ground clearance of my pre worshipped 2011 honda city.
Came across this company called Rogerab which I didn't know about until I opened this thread. I wanted to know whether installing these "devices" affect the ride quality and if yes by how much ? The car is used in mumbai and pune and shuttles between Mumbai Pune with 5 adults.
Edit: My car has already had a suspension overhaul 2 years back.
Thank you
Old 17th August 2021, 12:21   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
Just installed Rogerab spacers for my Honda City I-vtec 2009.

I contacted the guys at Rogerab and found out that they have a workshop opposite Pawan Hans airport in Vile Parle, Mumbai and they told me that their B (for the front) and B+ (for the rear) variants would be applicable for my car.

So, all in all, I'm quite happy with this mod! I am in no way advocating that installing these would transform any car into a Duster.
Hi @KaranP, how is your mod holding up? I plan to get these sometime this month but wanted to check with a Honda City owner on how they hold up over the long term.

One more question, I only see the option to choose make and model on the Rogerab site. I assume that if I choose the Honda City 3rd gen while placing the order, these guys will dispatch B and B+ variants. Or do I need to specify that over a call with their CS team?

Quote:
Hi. Have you used these ?
Request you to please share your feedback.

I have even tried various Tyre-pressure combinations ranging from 28 to 32 psi, but there is no significant difference.
Hi @NerdSpeaks, did you get your issue resolved?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by JithinR : 17th August 2021 at 12:35.
Old 19th August 2021, 12:48   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I am already having shivers seeing the pics from the previous post.
Your fear is reasonable. My two cents. This part is made of rubber and when subjected to the inevitability of time, static and dynamic load of the vehicle, impact loads acting on the wheels due to pot holes and craters, the rate of failure will vary accordingly. You can compare this with simple part like our Civics' weatherstrips which perish after n years. Here, age of the rubber and ambient temperature play the role.

Periodic lubrication may retard the rate of deterioration to some extent though. I usually treat the rubber components in my vehicle say door seals, hoses with adequate doses of Liquimoly Silicone spray. It forms a thin, slightly lustrous, non-sticky protective layer over the sprayed components and was deemed to impregnate, nourish the rubber and prevent premature cracking due to brittleness.

Quote:
Finally got only the smaller pair fixed on the rear springs and carried the bigger pair home.
Could you please let me know whether you have affixed the pair on the front springs?
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:30   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
Your fear is reasonable. My two cents. This part is made of rubber and when subjected to the inevitability of time, static and dynamic load of the vehicle, impact loads acting on the wheels due to pot holes and craters, the rate of failure will vary accordingly. You can compare this with simple part like our Civics' weatherstrips which perish after n years.
After nearly 4 months of usage I can say that I am not fully satisfied with the product. On day one, when I was the only person in the car, it seemed to take on every speed breaker / pot hole without any issue. However, once I had the car loaded with a total of 4 people including myself, wifey at the front with my kids 16 & 11 sitting at the back. I went over a speed-breaker and I could hear the bottom scraping as before. I shudder to think what would be case with 4 or 5 adults let alone adding some luggage in the trunk. Guess I need to get my springs checked as the car is 11 years old but has not taken any major loads though.

Quote:
Could you please let me know whether you have affixed the pair on the front springs?
Nope. The pairs came in two different sizes and the smaller one went in the rear. The bigger ones cannot be fixed on either. I contacted Rogerab customer care with my query and they said the bigger ones go at the back and the smaller ones at the front. But I personally checked while installation and this was not achievable.

Last edited by rr_zen : 19th August 2021 at 13:31.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:39   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Guess I need to get my springs checked as the car is 11 years old but has not taken any major loads though.
Absolutely. I presume the suspension components have certain life expectancy irrespective of the KMs, post which they are rendered useless! Am kind of sailing in the same boat as yours. 13 years old, just 46xxx KMs on the ODO, performed 60,000 KM service say all fluids and consumables change and other miscellaneous at the Honda ASC.

Post-service observation
Front shocks have completely failed resulting in unpredictable bounce of the vehicle even on slightly unsurfaced road patches.

Cause
I could relate this with an Instagram post by a famous workshop. Screenshots attached below will provide a better picture.
Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?-screenshot-127.png

Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?-screenshot-128.png

The rear suspension has always been a pain to live with forcing me to slip the clutch often, slot to the lowest gear and tackle the speed bumps by driving cross ways. Had enough of it! Am ruling out the option to fix a spacer instead opting to perform a full suspension upgrade presumably stiffer.

Quote:
Nope. The pairs came in two different sizes and the smaller one went in the rear. The bigger ones cannot be fixed on either.
Great! I strongly would suggest you to refrain from using in the front end since this spacer prevents the well-functioning of the spring thereby diverting the stress that the spring should bear to other conjunct steering & suspension components leading to their failure!
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 17:14   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. I presume the suspension components have certain life expectancy irrespective of the KMs, post which they are rendered useless! Am kind of sailing in the same boat as yours. 13 years old, just 46xxx KMs on the ODO, performed 60,000 KM service say all fluids and consumables change and other miscellaneous at the Honda ASC.

The rear suspension has always been a pain to live with forcing me to slip the clutch often, slot to the lowest gear and tackle the speed bumps by driving cross ways. Had enough of it! Am ruling out the option to fix a spacer instead opting to perform a full suspension upgrade presumably stiffer.
Thanks a lot for the insights on the suspension. Very informative and useful. Looks like we are exactly in the same situation in terms of the life of the car and the mileage on it (mine is 11 years with 41k on the odo). Bad roads and speed-breakers are the nemesis of my car and this single reason prevents me from ferrying more people when required. Let me know if you are able to find out a solution that could give us the required confidence to take our cars out on any road (not off-roading though ) and I might follow suit.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 18:01   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Hi @KaranP, how is your mod holding up? I plan to get these sometime this month but wanted to check with a Honda City owner on how they hold up over the long term.

One more question, I only see the option to choose make and model on the Rogerab site. I assume that if I choose the Honda City 3rd gen while placing the order, these guys will dispatch B and B+ variants. Or do I need to specify that over a call with their CS team?

Hi @NerdSpeaks, did you get your issue resolved?

Thanks for the help.
I have been using these Rogerab product for 2 months now.
My car has not scraped a single speed-breaker ever since I have installed these (please do not assume that your car would transform into a Nexon/Duster, as you still need to take care like a typical sedan).
However, trade-off is poor ride quality at low speeds. At high speeds (70/80+), it is still fine.
Initially, I was not very comfortable with this, but now I am used to this.
Finally, I would still recommend this solution, even if it amounts to overhauling suspension after few years, as it would be still make sense rather than changing car (enough has been discussed about how hard it is to replace 3rd gen ANHC).
NerdSpeaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 14:03   #629
BHPian

Quick googling shows there is another option to increase suspension height, spacer between body and suspension that raise height permanently.
How does that compare to spring buffers like rogerab in terms of effect on ride and handling.
I see a lot of users trying spring buffers but not spacers, any reason for that?
Old 15th September 2021, 22:53   #630
BHPian

Came across a new product -- Car stabilizer pro recently.

Hoping this will it add more life to the stock suspension.
Any thoughts about it?

Note : My 90% of the drives are on highways only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks