Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2013, 15:03   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I've got this installed for my Civic at the rear. I've a doubt, what happens when car goes for service and is lifted in bay ? Will this come out or miss it's position? Any precautions needed ?
No worries, it will not slip out on its own even when lifted. Of course, if anyone deliberately slides it out, it can be taken out.
Old 28th July 2013, 15:17   #407
BHPian

Quote:
I've got this installed for my Civic at the rear. I've a doubt, what happens when car goes for service and is lifted in bay ? Will this come out or miss it's position? Any precautions needed ?
Considered adding some cable ties?
Old 28th July 2013, 15:17   #408
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Hi Guys,

I stay in Bombay at Dadar - since I am not a DIY person, can someone please suggest a place/garage I can get this work carried out for my 2010 Civic and how much it should approximately cost.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th July 2013, 16:27   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Hi Guys,

I stay in Bombay at Dadar - since I am not a DIY person, can someone please suggest a place/garage I can get this work carried out for my 2010 Civic and how much it should approximately cost.

Thanks in advance.
Darryl (the supplier of Autorunner) is based in Mumbai. His contact number is there in Post #20. Call him up and he should be able to guide you.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 09:08   #410
Senior - BHPian

Even a roadside mechanic should be able to install them. Just jack up the rear (he will not have a hoist), put stands under the rear (for safety), then you can work. First cut across the donut, then insert in one of the spring coils, you will find an overlap. Mark the overlap, take out the donut, cut off the overlap and insert again. Ditto for the other side, you cans ave some work by removing an identical section from it.
Old 29th July 2013, 10:40   #411
BHPian

I would suggest to try getting them installed without cutting the overlap first. If you find any difference you can get them cut later. I didnt find any difference in my case
Old 29th July 2013, 11:00   #412
BHPian

Quote:
I do not know about the Civic, but my City has this installed and when it went for service last time, I specifically mentioned to my SA about it. In the end, when it came out of service it was not aligned properly. I asked them to jack up the car to fix it properly, but Whitefield was adamant that it is correctly positioned. I came home and fixed it myself. :(

So yeah, please do take a couple of minutes to check yourself and ensure your SA knows about it.
Old 29th July 2013, 11:56   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
I would suggest to try getting them installed without cutting the overlap first. If you find any difference you can get them cut later. I didnt find any difference in my case
Not surprised. They come into play only under severe distortion of the springs, so 99% of the time you will not notice any difference.
Old 30th July 2013, 20:57   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Contact darrel (his number is on second page). He can ship it to bangalore
Sorry for a basic question.... any suggestions on where I can get this fixed in Bangalore. Will a multi brand service center like CarZ, Carnation, or Mahindra First Choice do this>
Old 30th July 2013, 21:25   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post

Sorry for a basic question.... any suggestions on where I can get this fixed in Bangalore. Will a multi brand service center like CarZ, Carnation, or Mahindra First Choice do this>
Its very simple any mechanic should be able to install it.
- Jack up the car and first cover the autorunner over the spring at the bottom most portion.
- The bottom most coil will have bigger clearance, so you can press the autorunner and edge should go into the position
- now just turn the autorunner and it would go winding up the spring

Things to note
- It should be positioned at the centre of the spring
- the edges (overlap) should face each other

Cheers
srsriharsha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 01:09   #416
SAS
BHPian

i have a 2007 civic. I too am facing issues with the ride height. However instead of this, I'd prefer to install oversized bushings / mounts on which the springs sit on. I had done the same on my Alto when I fitted CNG on it. Does anybody have experience of doing this on their civic? Also any shops where I can buy the oversized bushings? Thanks...
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:08   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
i have a 2007 civic. I too am facing issues with the ride height. However instead of this, I'd prefer to install oversized bushings / mounts on which the springs sit on. I had done the same on my Alto when I fitted CNG on it. Does anybody have experience of doing this on their civic? Also any shops where I can buy the oversized bushings? Thanks...
My suggestion, try the adjusters as its fully reversible, easily installed and removed and hardly affects the dynamics. See if it meets your needs.
The bushings could potentially alter the driving dynamics.
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:02   #418
BHPian

Its not advisable to alter the suspension components. Even the slightest of change could alter the driving characteristics and may lead to a different driving behaviour. Also those parts may not be reliable enough and you dont want to be running around garages to get things right(any alteration would make it hard to diagnose if any new problem arises and HASS wouldn't touch it). It may also induce additional wear and tear on other suspension parts. To avoid all the hassles and enjoy the ride with peace of mind this would be the best solution.

You can also go for different suspension if you have the moolah :P

Last edited by srsriharsha : 3rd August 2013 at 15:04.
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:40   #419
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda dvic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Just got the coil spring work done at Automech (lower Parel - Bombay) at the rear. Charges INR 2250/- and took only ten minutes. Darryl guided me there.

Met Vivek, he was a real pleasure to talk to. Small but nice place and his workers also seem to be with him for ages. Speaks a lot about the employer IMO.

He checked out my Civic (Feb 2010 model) at the front, seems the springs are placed inversely and hence would be very troublesome for his people. Darryl would have to do it himself. I did not really understand his point to be honest. Could someone clarify?

Ride/handling/speed breaker performance - as of now driven with only 2 people, did not feel significantly different. Only around 10 kms or so. will update after a longer drive and with two or three people at the back.

Thinking of getting the exhaust done by Vivek - approx cost INR 16000/- to 18000/-. After giving him the order, it would take 2-3 days to get the components ready. The car may be given in the morning and evening work will be completed. Will update if/when I get it done.

@Dinu - Thanks once again for your help.

Cheers
Old 17th September 2013, 16:11   #420
BHPian

Hi BHpians,
After recently installing CNG kit in my ANHC, i have started facing problems due to reduced ground clearance. With 2 passengers at the rear, the car scrapes nearly at each and every bump(thanks to roads in Navi Mumbai).

After going through this thread, i am seriously thinking to get these coil adjusters installed.

My Question: Do i get these installed only for rears or front as well??

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks