Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2013, 18:50   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

@zulfi_hansi; If you check somewhere earlier in this thread a few points which were brought out may help:

These are usable in all cars with coil springs in the rear (or front) as the case may be.

They do nothing for the handling or road grip. They are not supposed to.

They reduce the tendency of the suspension to 'bottom out'. Basically the coils are hardened for large compressions' i.e., load plus bumps/potholes.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 11:18   #377
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Taseem/ Others with Verna RB - Are you using this mod on your suspension(s)? Back alone or front too? How is the feel during city and high speed highway runs? With and without load?

I TD'ed one last week, and felt that the rear is kind of disconnected - this is at ~100 while over taking in a 'S' - a pretty wide 'S' - two lorries chugging in a 200ft road at ~30, each occupying a lane

I come from a Getz CRDi that is close to 80k, and also know the behavior of the Verna of 3 years ago. So Hyundai handling is nothing new - but this disconnected, swaying, bouncy feel was too pronounced in the RB.
Old 14th March 2013, 14:49   #378
BHPian

Have a basic doubt on the effects of such spacers.
If I am adding some obstruction inbetween the free compression, during some heavy pounding wouldn't it put extra pressure on the coil areas around that obstruction? Also depending on where exactly one place these spacers, or say how far (circumference distance) from the base or top surface, wouldn't it behave a bit non-symmetrically, adding different amount of pressure to top and bottom surface of coil mounting?
Old 19th March 2013, 18:13   #379
BHPian

I have a 2010 honda city, I was wondering what width of coil springs i should use for front and rear tires and is there any place in Delhi from where i can get them done.
Old 20th March 2013, 19:29   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyR1der View Post
I have a 2010 honda city, I was wondering what width of coil springs i should use for front and rear tires and is there any place in Delhi from where i can get them done.
Jack up your car till the vehicle is lifted up and the springs are wide open, check the distance between the 2 coils, ie center to center of the coils and you have the coil spring adjusters height for your ride.
Why dont you check with Darryl for the availability in Delhi or he can courier you your requirement.
Old 8th April 2013, 14:58   #381
Senior - BHPian

GTO and others- Am planning this for my Ritz. I feel the springs are too soft and I need to stiffen the ride a little bit. Since Ritz has underpinnings of a Swift, I feel these spacers might help handling of the car. What do you guys feel?
Old 8th April 2013, 23:48   #382
BHPian

I have been using the coil adjusters on the Civic for about a year now. For all those who want to add the spacers to stiffen your suspension or improve handling etc forget it. This doesn't do any of that simply because isn't supposed to. All it does is make sure the suspension doesn't bottom out under heavy load. It does this by reducing the min height of compression in the spring.

Its very useful in vehicles like the Civic which have a soft and bouncy rear suspension setup and a low ground clearance.

After installing the adjusters in the rear I have managed to avoid most speed breakers inside Chennai city with 5 people on board which normally would not be possible.
flipsyde is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 09:56   #383
BHPian

Is anyone using the coil adjusters without cutting it? Darryl suggested to use the entire length as it is so that the suspension stiffens up a bit which also leaves me with the option to cut it later if I wish to.

Would it affect the springs if I install the full length as it is?

Edit: Its for a 08 Civic
Old 9th May 2013, 10:22   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Is anyone using the coil adjusters without cutting it?

Would it affect the springs if I install the full length as it is?
Installation instructions on the set I had got showed that we need to cut it to lenght, so that it spans one coil. I think, the overlap section (if you dont cut) will reduce the spring action, and you will have a far bouncier ride.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 16:01   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Installation instructions on the set I had got showed that we need to cut it to lenght, so that it spans one coil. I think, the overlap section (if you dont cut) will reduce the spring action, and you will have a far bouncier ride.
Yes, that is what I have seen everywhere but I am confused after Darryl himself suggested to install it with the overlap and try. Btw if it reduces the spring action it should become stiffer and not bouncier or did you mean bumpier ?

In case someone has tried it with the overlap, please suggest your feedback. I will try to install it tomorrow
Old 10th May 2013, 16:22   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Sriharsha, you are correct. Not bouncy, but bumpy.

Lesser travel for spring. Hence you will hit the full spring travel early, and have a bumpy ride.
Old 13th May 2013, 09:42   #387
BHPian

Installed it with the overlap, didn't find it any bouncy. Had a very small ride with 5 onboard and no scraping. Although it was a very small distance, I am happy with the way the suspension behaves now
Old 14th May 2013, 14:15   #388
Senior - BHPian

Hi Civic owners,

This thread has been live for about 2 years now. Just wanted to check with everyone here if someone has found anything similar to this solution. Something which is equally Value for Money, prevents bottoming and has some more utility.

One technical query which I want to discuss is that, can we use this to increase default ground clearance?

To elaborate, Assume
Distance between coils (under normal conditions, zero people) - 0.5 Inch
Distance between coils (lifted on Jack) - 0.7 inch

If we install a one incher (like GTO) it will prevent the bottoming out of suspension by resisting the maximum compression possible on the spring.

However if we increase the gap for Distance between coils (lifted on Jack) using some lever, say to 1.2 inch and then install a 1.5 incher or 2 incher. Would it not increase the default ground clearance of the set up by say 0.5 inch (assuming same compression for a one incher and a 1.5 / 2 incher)

This might not be a safe option to do, but wanted to discuss this idea theoretically.
Old 14th May 2013, 14:41   #389
Senior - BHPian

@2000rpm; I saw no effect on the Ground Clearance of my Civic.
Old 31st May 2013, 15:05   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Jack up your car till the vehicle is lifted up and the springs are wide open, check the distance between the 2 coils, ie center to center of the coils and you have the coil spring adjusters height for your ride.
Why dont you check with Darryl for the availability in Delhi or he can courier you your requirement.
I recently got them from Darryl and during my conversation with him he told the effect on the car would differ is the springs are facing towards the tire and i need to find my own comfort by moving them around. I was wondering how is with people who already have them.

Note: (I purchased the coil springs for all 4 tires as i very often take a fully laden car out of town ( 4 adults + 1 kid) and luggage)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks