Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2012, 11:12   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
Thanks Prof. By bouncing I mean that the car rear goes a little up and down on roads which are wavey. I am doing this comparison with Honda City which did not bounce to this extent (tested on same road). Is this bounce because of the soft suspension of civic?
Honda suspensions are known to be harsher that the competition. Please check your dampers. They are the ones which control what you are looking for. Donuts are only to control / stop the bottoming.

See the springs will come into play only when the suspension moves a lot and somewhat slowly at that. It is the dampers which control the rapid movements / undulations.

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th December 2012 at 11:21.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 11:17   #362
BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick_Blue View Post
Folks, I've now had the Autorunner coil spring adjusters installed on my 2003 Old Honda City for a month, and they work just great. Thought I'd share my experience with the good people on this community.
Quick_Blue ,

Thanks for the detailed post, Howz spacer after a couple of months usage. I am also seriously thinking about this. Is it worth ?

Also what profile tyre are you on. Is that Bridgestone Turanza ?
How much does the tyre cost ?

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2012 at 11:44. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 13th December 2012, 16:14   #363

vinu_pm,

The AutoRunners are holding up great. They've performed with aplomb on every potholed, speed bump-infested South Indian road that I've driven down, fully loaded or otherwise. Totally worth it for me.

Yes, these are 175/70R13 Bridgestone Turanza ER60 tubeless tires. Got a set of 4 for ~17k INR at the Bridgestone dealer on CMH Rd, across the street from Casa Piccolo.

Cheers,
Nani
Quick_Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 20:38   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick_Blue View Post
vinu_pm,

The AutoRunners are holding up great. They've performed with aplomb on every potholed, speed bump-infested South Indian road that I've driven down, fully loaded or otherwise. Totally worth it for me.

Yes, these are 175/70R13 Bridgestone Turanza ER60 tubeless tires. Got a set of 4 for ~17k INR at the Bridgestone dealer on CMH Rd, across the street from Casa Piccolo.

Cheers,
Nani
Thanks Nani for your detailed report on the Spring Adjusters. I have been contemplating about it for the Manza. I saw the pics you posted and the height difference is pretty obvious, can you check on an empty car what is the height from the lowest point of the car to the road now with the spacers?
Old 22nd December 2012, 15:26   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Thanks Nani for your detailed report on the Spring Adjusters. I have been contemplating about it for the Manza. I saw the pics you posted and the height difference is pretty obvious, can you check on an empty car what is the height from the lowest point of the car to the road now with the spacers?
motomaveric, here are the ground clearances for the lowest points on my car with the AutoRunners in place:

* Front lower valance (black plastic thingie under the bumper) = 190 mm
* Catalytic converter = 185 mm
* Underbody = 205 mm

Empty vehicle was parked on level ground.

Cheers,
Nani
Old 26th December 2012, 03:46   #366
BHPian

Re: VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?

Quote:

Installation

The 1 inch tall Auto-Runner used on my Civic. The rubber feels very high in quality. Claimed that it can compress to as little as 5 mm when required (under stressful conditions):
Attachment 526293
Hi GTO, is this setup recommended for my Vista. I am driving to Leh in 2013. It would be max 2 adults with luggage. The only issue with the soft suspension is the body roll which I am not really bothered. However with the Leh terrain, chances of bottoming out remain.
Old 27th December 2012, 11:47   #367
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^ Nope, I don't recommend it to you. Reasons:

1. There are only two of you onboard and you're looking at them specifically for this trip. Obviously, in your everyday driving, there aren't any issues and even with Leh, you are merely apprehensive (bottoming out isn't confirmed).

2. I don't have faith in the quality of springs that Tata uses and whether they'll be able to handle the additional stress.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:50   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Specification of the spacer can be got from Darryl himself. He can specify the perfect Coil spring assisters for your ride.
================
I have clocked about 3K on the CSA and have never felt the ride or handling different from the original setup.
@unk9ja - I have recently purchased a set of four Autorunners for my Baleno and was wondering if you could help with the installation as you have already done it for your car. I am unable to PM you, can you please call me on 9972277776.
Thanks in advance
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:14   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by $niper View Post
@unk9ja - I have recently purchased a set of four Autorunners for my Baleno and was wondering if you could help with the installation as you have already done it for your car. I am unable to PM you, can you please call me on 9972277776.
Thanks in advance
1. Jack up the car to the maximum until the spring coils are really wide.
2. Push one of the free ends of the coil assisters into the coil and shove it up the spring until the coil spring assister is fully within the spring. You can use a soap solution to insert it easily. The start will be a bit difficult to insert, but when it goes in, it goes all the way easily.
3. Install the assister one coil above the spring end. Do not install it at the end point/ face of the spring.
4. If the assister is faced in, then you get maximum height advantage, so that would be for the rear springs and for the front ends are faced out to assist driveability. Face in refers to the open ends of the coil spring assisters facing away from you when you view it from the side of the car and face out refers to the opposite.

Will call you later in the day. Cheers
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:11   #370

Quote:
2. Push one of the free ends of the coil assisters into the coil and shove it up the spring until the coil spring assister is fully within the spring. You can use a soap solution to insert it easily. The start will be a bit difficult to insert, but when it goes in, it goes all the way easily.
3. Install the assister one coil above the spring end. Do not install it at the end point/ face of the spring.
4. If the assister is faced in, then you get maximum height advantage, so that would be for the rear springs and for the front ends are faced out to assist driveability. Face in refers to the open ends of the coil spring assisters facing away from you when you view it from the side of the car and face out refers to the opposite.

Thanks for detailed instructions buddy and look forward for your call.
Old 7th January 2013, 17:03   #371

Quote:
===============
@unk9ja - The Autorunners I received are B-4 for rear and B-5 for front, could you confirm if these are the same ones you have on your car

It looks a bit big, so just want to confirm if these are the right ones for a Baleno before I proceed with the install.

Thanks in advance
Old 8th January 2013, 17:29   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by $niper View Post
@unk9ja - The Autorunners I received are B-4 for rear and B-5 for front, could you confirm if these are the same ones you have on your car

It looks a bit big, so just want to confirm if these are the right ones for a Baleno before I proceed with the install.

Thanks in advance
Sorry buddy,
Was out of station for the weekend and laying ill. I have B-4 all round. Yes indeed it looks big but they seem to be perfect after installation.
I tried to reach you out that evening, but I think you could not hear me well, also I tried from my alternate no. but you did not pick the call. For any thing give me a call on 9008911992.
Old 8th January 2013, 17:41   #373
BHPian

Just my 2 cents: I drove down from Pune to Mumbai in a 2008 Civic MT 35K done. Five people, with 2 hefty chaps in the back. We took the old Mumbai Pune route just for kicks.

We scraped 3 speed breakers. One of them, we just followed the Swift in front who took it at maybe 10 kmph . A sickening scrunch followed. The other 2 were relatively 'minor'. Every speed bump after that was a suspense thriller - 'will she, won't she'... there are quite a few speed bumps on the old route.

Second, the suspension kept bottoming out on roads surfaces which were moderately bad. The Innovas/Lineas/Octys/Estilos (yes!) kept going at 60-65 kmph. We had to slow down to 35-40 kmph to prevent frequent thuds. I was shocked to see how bad the problem is. Just killed the momentum of the journey.

Have recommended this fix to him, let's see.

Last edited by d_himan : 8th January 2013 at 17:42.
Old 9th January 2013, 09:13   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Just my 2 cents: I drove down from Pune to Mumbai in a 2008 Civic MT 35K done. Five people, with 2 hefty chaps in the back. We took the old Mumbai Pune route just for kicks.
2008 is older that the 2009 end fix. Even after the fix the problem persists albeit to a smaller degree.
Old 16th February 2013, 16:46   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
BUT load the rear up with 2 or 3 passengers, and the Civic's derrière goes for a toss!

• The rear end bounciness is 80 - 90% gone; the back feels a lot more planted. Nearly Octavia-like. The excessive vertical movement from the back (over imperfect patches of tarmac) is nearly eliminated.[/i]
Hi GTO,

I have a 2004 Corolla, and it never bottoms out with just 2 on board with 20 kgs of luggage, but after putting in 30-35kgs of luggage and 2 adults in the back seat (2 adults weighing just 120 kgs together), I don't know how the car will behave, specially for the trip I am taking of NE & Bhutan staring from Bangalore in May. [these same occupants had complained of nausea on the ghats of Ooty & Waynad in my car which I think is cos the vertical movements]. I will install these only for the trip if you advice me, as I am OK with the set up on regular roads and daily usage. [OR] might as well keep it after the trip if it makes my Corolla's back as planted as an Octavia.
I have specifically quoted your point where I feel even the Corolla behaves almost the same as Civic?? [I have never driven a Civic with 2 or 3 sitting behind and surely not more than 20 kms.]

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 16th February 2013 at 16:49. Reason: missed word 'Civic'

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks