Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 22:06   #346
BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

I'm thinking of getting these adjusters installed on my '07 Civic, but have a question that I could not find an answer to upon scanning this thread.
After fitting these adjusters, what precautions do we need to take (or get the mechanic to take) when doing subsequent tyre rotations/alignments? When the car is jacked up to do this, can the adjusters fall out and need to be thoroughly checked for fit before driving off?
Old 31st October 2012, 23:20   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
After fitting these adjusters, what precautions do we need to take (or get the mechanic to take) when doing subsequent tyre rotations/alignments? When the car is jacked up to do this, can the adjusters fall out and need to be thoroughly checked for fit before driving off?
No precautions required.
2. the adjusters wont fall off. Once you see the cross section & how it fits into the spring, you should understand why it wont fall off.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 09:57   #348
Senior - BHPian

afaik know of no precautions, there have been some reports that Honda SAs claiming that the coil spring failures have been reported. My own guess is that it is either an old wives tale or some people start driving their cars like a Jeep.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 11:14   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I'd heard about coil spring adjusters a short while back, and was willing to try, especially since it's a cheap mod widely used by Forum'ers across the globe. Cost = Rs. 4,000 - 4,500 for a set of 4, and 1/2 of that for only the rear (including installation charges). Thanks to Jaggu & Psycho for sharing their comments & criticisms on the Mod. This part is very popular in the UK, especially amongst station wagons without self-levelling rear suspensions. In fact, the manufacturer of this part (Auto-Runner) accepts that his is a copy of UK products, and doesn't take any credit for innovation. Auto-Runner has apparently been used in the Raid de Himalaya and on the Chennai track.
Hi GTO, can this be done for an Ertiga as well? There is a lot of bounciness in the rear with a complement of 5 passengers. I have tried air pressures ranging from 34 to 29 (lowest possible I think for the tyre size provided), but there is no real difference. If this is possible, can you guide to the current person who can provide the same (Darryl 98210.47448 / dxmenezes@yahoo.co.uk is still the active dealer or N1Racing?)

If installed can we use a couple of cable tie's to keep it in place?
Old 16th November 2012, 02:11   #350
BHPian

Can anyone tell me a trustworthy workshop in Delhi where I can get this done? What do I tell him for him to understand it easily? The mechanics out there will not understand TBHP terminologies. Hence if someone can throw some light on the verbiage to be used to explain them what I want.

Also, what will be the approximate cost to get this done on my civic and the time required to complete this job?
Old 16th November 2012, 09:20   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Kaushik, I have been using the spacers on my Ikon for the last few thousand km, and have not seen any problems in handling. The spacers are meant to help prevent bottoming out, and they do just that.

Hi Can you kindly tell me the ease of fixing and specifications of the spacer in your ikon. I have an ikon too and would like this setup. Are there any dealers in Delhi?

Last edited by Catalyst_delhi : 16th November 2012 at 09:31. Reason: found contact and needed 1 more question
Old 16th November 2012, 17:57   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
Hi Can you kindly tell me the ease of fixing and specifications of the spacer in your ikon. I have an ikon too and would like this setup. Are there any dealers in Delhi?
Specification of the spacer can be got from Darryl himself. He can specify the perfect Coil spring assisters for your ride.
I got mine from Darryl for 4300INR for an all round mount on my Baleno and I am happy to scrape 2 speedbreakers in a month now than 2 in a day before.
Fixing is an easy task. You need to jack up the car to the maximum and insert the Coil spring assisters in between the spring. Check with Darryl for the set up (Face out or face in). You may need a soap solution to push the rubber through the spring coils. And lower the jack and your ride is ready for another journey.
I have clocked about 3K on the CSA and have never felt the ride or handling different from the original setup.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 18:34   #353
BHPian

I am also eager to get the adjusters fixed onto my Father's civic. Can anyone let know if this could be bought off the shelf in Delhi and where to get it fixed. Would Palika bhavan or Khan market have these in stock?
Old 18th November 2012, 07:05   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
Hi Can you kindly tell me the ease of fixing and specifications of the spacer in your ikon.
@Catalyst Delhi, the details of the installation on my Ikon are here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2590043

I dont know of any dealers in Delhi, since I got mine from US.

And in the middle of another long distance trip, the spacers more than justify their installation. The boot's over-flowing, and yet the tyres are not scraping the wheels.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 10:01   #355
Senior - BHPian

I got hem installed (Honda will not do it) and it took <30 minutes using a jack (no neeed to hoist the car up). The rear spacers (1") supplied by Darryl needed to be cut by about 2-1/2".
Attached Thumbnails
Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?-spacers.jpg  

Old 5th December 2012, 10:04   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I got hem installed (Honda will not do it) and it took <30 minutes using a jack (no neeed to hoist the car up). The rear spacers (1") supplied by Darryl needed to be cut by about 2-1/2".
So how is the car doing so far? Did you get a chance to test with full load? I assume you installed this only on the rear suspension?
Old 5th December 2012, 10:21   #357
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I did only the rear. I have driven only 5 km so far, no difference in the ride handling. There are quite a few speed bumps in the IIT campus and a bad one on the entry to our colony.

I have a long run (~600km return) coming up in January on what one time was a horrible road (NH2-NH92 Kanpur-Etawah-Gwalior). The latter part was tractorable at best. The alternative (NH2/25-NH75 att GQ!)) via Jhansi is not much better. Now I hear the Etawah route is better (and 50km shorter) so will try that. So will know at that time.
Old 13th December 2012, 00:21   #358
BHPian

Prof, good to know that you also got these installed.

Guys, is there any shop in Delhi where I can get these adjusters? Also, a good mechanic in Delhi who can do this for me. I would want to install them to reduce the bumpy ride in civic. My car bounces when there is an uneven road, hope this adjuster will resolve the bouncing issue to a large extent.
Quote:
Old 13th December 2012, 09:47   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
Prof, good to know that you also got these installed.

Guys, is there any shop in Delhi where I can get these adjusters? Also, a good mechanic in Delhi who can do this for me. I would want to install them to reduce the bumpy ride in civic. My car bounces when there is an uneven road, hope this adjuster will resolve the bouncing issue to a large extent.
I got them by mail from Darryl - 2.3k incl shipping.

Any half decent mechanic can insert them. Jack up the wheel, insert the donut (slit if not already done), cut of the excess, i.e., overlap and insert back. Try and thread them as far up as possible. The other side can be cut to the same size and then inserted. Not more than a 15-20 minute job.

I believe by bouncing you mean bottoming. That is what this fixes.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:01   #360
BHPian

Thanks Prof. By bouncing I mean that the car rear goes a little up and down on roads which are wavey. I am doing this comparison with Honda City which did not bounce to this extent (tested on same road). Is this bounce because of the soft suspension of civic? Although I have not bottomed out in the past 1 month of driving, however, I do not want to leave room for bottoming out too as its scary when you bottom out.
Quote:
I got them by mail from Darryl - 2.3k incl shipping.

Any half decent mechanic can insert them. Jack up the wheel, insert the donut (slit if not already done), cut of the excess, i.e., overlap and insert back. Try and thread them as far up as possible. The other side can be cut to the same size and then inserted. Not more than a 15-20 minute job.

I believe by bouncing you mean bottoming. That is what this fixes.

Most Viewed