Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 20:56   #286
BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
hi Zulfi,

I did not have to pay shipping or customs because I gave a US shipping address and used Amazon's free super saver shipping option (I included other items in that order so that the billing amt crossed $25). Once it was delivered in US, I had some one bring it over.

But one question for you - are you able to get it shipped to India ? I & couple of other TBHP-ians have tried to give a Bangalore address, but Amazon site says the items (the ones we tried for) cannot be shipped to India.
Curiously it did not happen to me. This is my first buy on Amazon. I am in suspended situation there. I did order and the website, Amazon that is, did process my order but at the invoice that I have put up in my earlier post. The suspended part here is that the credit card transaction is complete from their side but curiously the 3D pin was not asked for (like in India no online transaction is complete without that for Indian portals), and then I received a mail that I will be intimated about the dispatch. My credit card has not reflected the transaction so far! And this is from the same link that you had posted earlier from where you bought.
Old 26th April 2012, 22:53   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

@Zulfi, the credit card not reflecting the charges is ok .. US companies often bill only when the shipping happens.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 12:02   #288
BHPian

@Condor, thanks for the reassurance, this is the first time I have bought online from outside the country portal, so a bit apprehensive. BTW I could not find any of our guys using this on a 2005 Corolla, but I am sure it will make a lot of difference on the twisty roads, otherwise it just keeps swaying all the time and the rear passengers have even ended up vomiting while I was driving [a rather enjoyable spirited drive] through the ghats, I have never had problems with the GC of Corolla, not unless the car is loaded with 5 and their luggage. Whats your take on dynamics of the car once you fit this on your Ikon, any marked difference since Ikon as it is a good handler.
Old 27th April 2012, 12:21   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ikon handles just as good as before, though now I don't have to worry about bottoming out. Did do a speed-jump yesterday morning and no problems at all. Nothing negative, so I am happy that I have these (thanks to GTO again .. )

Reg the handling of the Corolla, I would suggest to wait to see the difference in handling after the spacers are put on.

Also, the trick (as I have seen it) is to maintain only that much speed that will allow smooth turns on the curves. Dont go any faster than the speed that will allow you to make the turns without sharp turns & braking. This speed is often a little lesser than what we think is the ideal speed.

(But is a person is prone to being car sick, we cant do much.)

And no worries about Amazon. One place where I will not hesitate to pick up stuff, especially the ones that are sold by Amazon directly. (Though I have had problems with the occasional item I have picked up from other sellers through Amazon).
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 14:05   #290
Senior - BHPian

@condor; under normal conditions you should not expect much difference in the handling since the rubber is quite soft so does not change the spring rate.

Only under severe distortion (when on a bump or in a ditch) does the rubber get considerably deformed and stiffens the suspension.
Old 27th April 2012, 14:48   #291
Senior - BHPian

@Condor, this is offtopic, but you should now change your profile location: "BLR: the speedbreaker city". They have now removed most of the unscientific speedbreakers.

Reg adjusters, mine is the second year running now with these on my rear suspension. Still continues to do its job well, I've forgotten the fact that the Civic used to scrape all bumps earlier.
Old 27th April 2012, 15:46   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@condor; under normal conditions you should not expect much difference in the handling since the rubber is quite soft so does not change the spring rate.
SG sir. the rubber is actually not soft ( I have two pieces of it, so checked again). So it does not deform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
@Condor, this is off topic, but you should now change your profile location: "BLR: the speedbreaker city". They have now removed most of the unscientific speedbreakers.
Actually, Dinu, you seem to be missing the point. The govt has taken off the speed breakers - they will soon put in those table-tops, lined with tiles on top. That is just a money circulating game.
Old 27th April 2012, 16:26   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SG sir. the rubber is actually not soft ( I have two pieces of it, so checked again). So it does not deform.
Soft with regards to the spring and not finger pressure. As it deforms it become stiffer and then helps prevent bottoming. De facto as it hits high compression you are left with, say, 3/4 spring coil less.

Last edited by sgiitk : 27th April 2012 at 16:27.
Old 27th April 2012, 16:27   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....they will soon put in those table-tops, lined with tiles on top. That is just a money circulating game.
Either way, its far better than those sharp narrow ones. and it won't anyway scrape the belly.
Old 27th April 2012, 17:10   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hi Guys am planning to install these on the rear coils of my Civic very soon.

Now that you guys have had them for a long time i am looking forward to your feedback specifically on the response/change/advantage/disadvantage during high speed runs around corners and on a straight line with or without load.
Old 27th April 2012, 19:10   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Hi Guys am planning to install these on the rear coils of my Civic very soon.

Now that you guys have had them for a long time i am looking forward to your feedback specifically on the response/change/advantage/disadvantage during high speed runs around corners and on a straight line with or without load.
My usage is predominantly in the city through good and bad roads. As I had mentioned, the main advantage I see is the reduced tendency to scrape the belly both with and without load. I don't see any deterioration in ride quality in these conditions.
I have done a high speed run in a straight line touching 180kmph and she maintained her composure as any stock Civic would. I have not tried high speed cornering and probably I never will, but I would assume there will not be any major difference.
If you ask me - highly recommended
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 21:03   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My usage is predominantly in the city through good and bad roads. As I had mentioned, the main advantage I see is the reduced tendency to scrape the belly both with and without load. I don't see any deterioration in ride quality in these conditions.
I have done a high speed run in a straight line touching 180kmph and she maintained her composure as any stock Civic would. I have not tried high speed cornering and probably I never will, but I would assume there will not be any major difference.
If you ask me - highly recommended
Is there any major wear and tear of the tyres or suspension components.I think you have the BS truranza which i also have on my civic (from your only recommendation :-) ) ,so is there any unsual wear on same.

thanks

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 27th April 2012 at 21:04.
Old 27th April 2012, 21:25   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Is there any major wear and tear of the tyres or suspension components.I think you have the BS truranza which i also have on my civic (from your only recommendation :-) ) ,so is there any unsual wear on same.

thanks
Absolutely none. In fact I rotated the 4 tyres last week after around 7000km, and all the tyres look perfectly even - no unusual wear in any of the tyres.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 00:39   #299
BHPian

Today I noticed one car for sure which is in immediate need of this is the Verna fluidic, with 4 sitting in and looked like sufficiently loaded in the boot, the rear tyres were almost touching the wheel arch, must be hardly millimetres of clearance. Looked like the coil springs had fully compressed.
Old 30th April 2012, 18:16   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Just installed it both for front and rear of the baleno. Was really fed up of scraping the bangalore speedbreakers with 4 people.

Post installing, the 186/65R14 wheels looks smaller as the car has risen by about 0.5 inches. The Swift's 185/70 would fit in nicely.

Just drove back the 3 kms back from the garage. I can definitely feel an increase in the driving position height. Since the roads were good, cannot comment on ride quality.

Waiting for a trip with 4 people to hit the usual car-scrappers. Will update after 1 month as a long trip is due month end.
What is your experience on the Baleno past this set up? Please do share the details of the installation with cost

Most Viewed