Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2011, 12:21   #256
BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
This is good news. I'm looking forward to getting this installed. Unfortunately I haven't had time to take the measurements for my car yet. This weekend for sure..
Tassem, I've got the Autorunner B-3 installed on Verna. Went for a short spin on uneven roads after that. 2 differences could be noticed:

1) The vehicle does not scrape on the (large) speed-breaker on which it used to scrape even with only 1 occupant. Tried it couple of times at different speeds. This was very reassuring that the money was not wasted.

2) There is only a slight difference in the suspension behavior; it is a little bit less bouncy now. Though this difference is not significant, the Boat rocks less now ....

Haven't tried checking the difference in handling at higher speeds. Planning to drive to Pune this Friday night; that would be a good test.

Any idea if wheel balancing necessary after this fitment?
junkishya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 13:11   #257
BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya View Post
Any idea if wheel balancing necessary after this fitment?
Hey Thanks for the update bro! It's very reassuring. I don't think you need to go for wheel balancing. I think you're referring to alignment, which again should be unnecessary because the camber should only be slightly affected, if at all. Its just preventing the suspension from compressing at the loads it used to earlier. So I doubt if the camber will be greatly altered.
Old 24th September 2011, 20:08   #258
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
This is good news. I'm looking forward to getting this installed. Unfortunately I haven't had time to take the measurements for my car yet. This weekend for sure..
Hi Tassem,

Once done can you update how it works in Verna thread too? This looks a interesting fix and at a reasonable price too. I am keen to try this in my car too.

Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 10:28   #259

Hi,

I am a new member on Team-BHP, and I joined only because I stumbled on this thread while browsing the internet to figure out if there was anything I could possibly do to prevent my beloved 2007 Civic from scraping the bottom of *every* speed bump there is in Bangalore !!

Looks like a fantastic and proven solution is already available !

Can someone please send me Darryl's contact details ? Also, can someone please point me to a decent install shop in Bangalore (preferably near Whitefield) who would not charge me an arm and a leg to get these installed ?

Thanks,
Raj
Old 25th September 2011, 20:18   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtj405 View Post
Can someone please send me Darryl's contact details ?
Post#20 has got his number
Old 26th September 2011, 17:45   #261

Great ! Thanks a lot !

I called Darryl today, and got a set delivered to my parents' place in Mumbai today...they should reach me on Saturday !

Any pointers to a good place to get them installed in Bangalore (near Whitefield preferably) ?

Thanks,
Raj
Old 26th September 2011, 22:08   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtj405 View Post
Great ! Thanks a lot !

I called Darryl today, and got a set delivered to my parents' place in Mumbai today...they should reach me on Saturday !

Any pointers to a good place to get them installed in Bangalore (near Whitefield preferably) ?
Hey Raj,

Just find a garage to lift the car .. you yourself can push the rubber adjusters between the coils in a matter of 4-5 minutes .. All you need to do is to wet the rubbers in surf-water solution and push it in place .. may be it was easy for me since B-3 adjusters were relatively loose fit for Verna. I was able to do it myself even while the mechanic were trying to figure out how and where to push it in ....

Last edited by junkishya : 26th September 2011 at 22:09.
Old 27th September 2011, 07:02   #263
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya View Post
Tassem, I've got the Autorunner B-3 installed on Verna. Went for a short spin on uneven roads after that.
Haven't tried checking the difference in handling at higher speeds. Planning to drive to Pune this Friday night; that would be a good test.
Hi junkishhya,

Can you post pictures of the fitment? How is the car handling now? Please do update after your trip to Pune.

Cheers

KPS
Old 27th September 2011, 11:52   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Found the spacers for about $11-$12 each at JC Whitney. Works out to about 500 a piece, if purchased in US.

Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?-coilspacer.jpg

http://www.jcwhitney.com/super-rubbe.../p2031543.jcwx
http://www.jcwhitney.com/front-coil-.../p2031541.jcwx
http://www.jcwhitney.com/ring-type-c.../p2005889.jcwx

More options available on Amazon (USA):

Amazon.com: coil spring spacer: Automotive

Last edited by GTO : 6th October 2011 at 14:22. Reason: As requested
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 21:13   #265
BHPian

After driving to Pune from Hyderabad, covering 500+ kms on last Friday night, I've started liking the Autorunner product. I could notice 3 advantages:
1) The car bounces a bit less
2) The suspension seems to be more silent
3) The rear ground clearance has increased by around 10 mm due to which the car is scraping much less. Tried bouncing the rear end over speed breaker a few times, did not scrape even once.

I would love to put this product on the front coils as well and see of the annoying "THACK" noise (after going over larger pot holes) can be reduced.

Haven't noticed any disadvantages as of yet, but hope it will not have any adverse effect on the springs.

Regards,
Kishor
junkishya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 08:32   #266
BHPian

Can anyone who has installed it on a civic tell me how the handling is with just one person on board?? I drive the car alone most of the time and plan to install this for those rare occasions when I travel with the family when I have the bottoming out problem.

Also how badly Is the tire life affected? 2-3k Kms is fine I hope it's not much more than that.

Last edited by flipsyde : 7th November 2011 at 08:33.
Old 7th November 2011, 08:53   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Can anyone who has installed it on a civic tell me how the handling is with just one person on board?? I drive the car alone most of the time and plan to install this for those rare occasions when I travel with the family when I have the bottoming out problem.

Also how badly Is the tire life affected? 2-3k Kms is fine I hope it's not much more than that.
I have installed it on my Civic close to a year back. I normally travel alone most of the time. I have not noticed any change in the handling. Of course, I rarely take it to the limit. Tires do not show any signs of premature wear. I would say, just go ahead.
Old 7th November 2011, 09:35   #268
Senior - BHPian

@flipsyde; The donuts come into play only when the coil springs are deformed significantly, and even then gently at first. So I do not expect much of a change, esp if the car is not heavily loaded.
Old 7th November 2011, 14:38   #269
BHPian

@sgiitk, dinu - Thanks guys, just what I wanted to hear. Planning to place an order today.
Old 25th November 2011, 21:54   #270
BHPian

I was always thinking of doing something to my Civic's rear suspension. More than scrapping bumps, the biggest irritation was the suspension bottoming out when there is a small deformation (like the ones at the entry and exit of an ill constructed bridge) in the road with people on rear seat when you are in high speed. I came across TEIN suspension but found it too costly and I was not sure about it's worth. Most of the time I travel alone or with a front seat passenger, so most of the time it was not a problem for me. And I decided against spending a lakh rupee for the TEIN. Today, I went to lunch with 3 people on the rear seat in my Civic. The rear suspension bottomed out too many times. That's it, it was the last straw. My mind went back to TEIN - I started to do the math. I googled the civic rear suspension bottoming problem and there comes this thread on the first search page. Thanks a million GTO for a very detailed post and the updates to it. Now, I consider my problem almost solved with a fraction of TEIN's cost. I can see there is a lot of advantage in owning the car GTO owns! We get top class research and first hand experience free of cost. Thank again. Luckily I did not need the other mods as my car is automatic and the low end torque is not a problem for me.

I will take the Car to Honda service, ensure the health of suspension is ok and go ahead with the mod. I can go ahead with the mod straightaway but if the suspension has already worn out I'd like to address that first. It's a 5 years & 55 K car now.

Last edited by idofsuresh : 25th November 2011 at 21:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks