Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 21:47   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
a thought: can one jack the car up using the usual tyre-changing stuff and install this one? I guess suspension spring will be fully extended in this case to
A car jack, will only provide that much height. Accessibility should be severely limited (you will have to work lying down under the car). However, for removing it, it should be sufficient I guess.
Old 22nd June 2011, 00:00   #212
BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Seen many guys using Rubber Inserts above the coil springs for raising the Suspension of their cars to accomodate bigger Alloy wheels.
How are they ? ? I mean, are they safe to be used for long run !
No doubt they'll change the handling of car but how much difference we can expect after installing it !
Old 12th July 2011, 18:22   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I haven't cut the rubber as how GTO has got it done. Installed them stock.
This gives a slight increase in the height of the car. Based on the handling + scraping of the humps , I'll take a decision as to cut the rubber by 1.5" or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I suggest you wait till I complete atleast 5,000 - 10,000 kms (including a couple of highway runs) before going ahead with the install.
It has been quite a while since you have done this mod. Can you please provide some feedback about handling and performence.

I have a 2007 (Feb) Civic and have done about 47K KMs. I use it quite a bit to on state highways or Rajasthan and Haryana where there are huge speed breakers.

I want to get the assisters fitted on rear coil springs along with Higher profile tyres (205/65/R15). How is the drive going to be affected by the combination of the coil spring assister and high profile tyres.

Please advice the right place (upper/middle portion of the spring coil) for the install and whether to overlap or not.

Thanks Sushrutha for pointing me towards this thread.

Regards
Dinesh
Old 12th July 2011, 20:50   #214
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning to put these on my Figo - two questions:

(1) Are they effective? (I'll put them anyway, but if another Figo owner has used them - your views will be very helpful)
(2) What about my warranty? Will it be void just because I use these mods?
Hey Vina, have you got these things put on your Figo yet? Need a feedback. GTO did this because his car's rear end was soft and bouncy. I don't want to make the already stiff ride of my Figo stiffer. Just wanted to reduce the squatting under loading.

More than 3 people in the car and it is bound to scrape the speed bumps we have here.
Old 13th July 2011, 00:41   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Hey Vina, have you got these things put on your Figo yet? Need a feedback. GTO did this because his car's rear end was soft and bouncy. I don't want to make the already stiff ride of my Figo stiffer. Just wanted to reduce the squatting under loading.

More than 3 people in the car and it is bound to scrape the speed bumps we have here.

I haven't - I'm the only one in the car for now and service is due next week. I'll do it next month probably.

By the way, I'm surprised you find the Figo ride stiff - mine is kind of soft (and so were the test drive cars). Yesterday I drove on what was supposed to be a short cut, but actually a dirt road - no hard jerks at all (though the car bounced around a lot).

Are you sticking to Ford's tyre pressure recommendation?
Old 13th July 2011, 09:39   #216
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't - I'm the only one in the car for now and service is due next week. I'll do it next month probably.

By the way, I'm surprised you find the Figo ride stiff - mine is kind of soft (and so were the test drive cars). Yesterday I drove on what was supposed to be a short cut, but actually a dirt road - no hard jerks at all (though the car bounced around a lot).

Are you sticking to Ford's tyre pressure recommendation?
I think I have to get the tyre pressure checked. Haven't got it done since we bought the car.

About the stiff ride part, i'm only comparing it to the ride of a Qualis and a Santro we owned. The thuds were muted in those cars but they had serious body roll. Haven't been in many small cars for quite some time now.
Old 15th July 2011, 21:14   #217
BHPian

Coil Spring Assisters on Logan

The GC of my Logan had to be increased due to some insanely designed but unavoidable road humps.The rear suspension was first raised by about 20 mm by adding lower mounts to the rear shocks - now the car scraped about 50% less.After a few months,came across GTO's thread and a set of assisters were inserted in the rear springs.These raised the clearance in the rear by another 20 mm but still were not enough for a couple humps,when the car was loaded.
The assisters for the front springs went in about 1000 kms after the rear set and the clearance in the front went up by about 20 mm and the car started clearing all the humps without any issues, all the time.
This indeed seems to be a great VFM solution for the Logan too - though the suspension is a bit stiffer,it is still comfortable and the handling has improved.
citron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 21:41   #218
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Assisters on Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by citron View Post
This indeed seems to be a great VFM solution for the Logan too - though the suspension is a bit stiffer,it is still comfortable and the handling has improved.
Hi, I am interested in knowing the impact of these modifications on high speed vehicle dynamics. Please can you help? By high speed, I only mean about 120-130 kmph. Have you tried it? Also, have you tried anything like a Chicane with constant acceleration exiting at about 90 kmph?
Old 15th July 2011, 22:14   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Hi, I am interested in knowing the impact of these modifications on high speed vehicle dynamics. Please can you help? By high speed, I only mean about 120-130 kmph. Have you tried it? Also, have you tried anything like a Chicane with constant acceleration exiting at about 90 kmph?
I drive mainly on secondary roads and get to cross 100 kmph very rarely.On the few recent occasions that I did cross 100,the car felt quite stable and planted.I have not crossed 120 nor tried tricky moves at 90 !
Old 16th July 2011, 07:38   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The GC of my Logan had to be increased due to some insanely designed but unavoidable road humps.The rear suspension was first raised by about 20 mm by adding lower mounts to the rear shocks - now the car scraped about 50% less.After a few months,came across GTO's thread and a set of assisters were inserted in the rear springs.These raised the clearance in the rear by another 20 mm but still were not enough for a couple humps,when the car was loaded.
Are you sure about the numbers you have quoted? Is it that you have raised the rear by 40mm? Thats sounds quite a lot. Would you be able to send in some pics?
My assisters in the Civic is now in its 4th month. Extremely happy with it. No more worries for me on Bangalore speedbreakers. However, I don't believe it has raised my GC (maybe by 4 or 5 mm) but definitely the scraping has gone ( I guess its more because of increased stiffness).
Old 16th July 2011, 11:58   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drive mainly on secondary roads and get to cross 100 kmph very rarely.On the few recent occasions that I did cross 100,the car felt quite stable and planted.I have not crossed 120 nor tried tricky moves at 90 !
Thanks... Can you please post some pics for the work done, both front and back?
Old 16th July 2011, 12:17   #222
BHPian

Are these Assisters now available in Delhi or still has to be sourced from Darryl @ Mumbai?
Old 20th July 2011, 12:20   #223

Dear GTO & Members,

I am having a Linea MJD Emotion PK and having the similar problem...

Last week i went to Mysore (from Bangalore) and the so called state highway is fuly loaded with Speed breakers/Humps every 3 KMs.

Unfortunately, i had full capacity load on my beloved Linea (5 adults and one kid + ~ 50KG of luggage in the boot). Ended scarping my rear bottom on most of these speed breakers (in fact they have become heart breakers).

Also i had another problem while tackling set of speed breakers (3 in one sets) if i go over the first little fast, my front portion (in front of fron axle) hits the second or third hump. i complained about this to *** and they said that it is due to suspension link rod being loose and they fixed it. Then it has reduced.

Considering the both problems, i thought of installing this auto runner for my car on both front and rear. Please clarify me on the following
1. Whether doing this will have any benefit for my problems?
2. Is it advisable to go for all 4?
3. Will it have any adverse impact on Linea's handling?
4. Any warranty trouble? (my car has is just 6 months old as of today)
5. Is this available in Bangalore and if yes, where can i buy this and who will be able to install this (as going to Prerana and asking them to do this is inviting trouble as these guys will tell that this is the mother of all problems in future)

Last edited by manson : 20th July 2011 at 12:26.
Old 20th July 2011, 16:00   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetzLover View Post
Is this available in Bangalore and if yes, where can i buy this and who will be able to install this (as going to Prerana and asking them to do this is inviting trouble as these guys will tell that this is the mother of all problems in future)
You can try A1 Car Care Centre in Wilson Garden. I got mine installed there, but I had bought the stuff from Daryll directly. When I had gone for installation, they had mentioned that they could supply it as well. If you are a bit tech savvy, you can install yourself as well. I realized it when I saw them do it.
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:22   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetzLover View Post
Is this available in Bangalore and if yes, where can i buy this and who will be able to install this
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
You can try A1 Car Care Centre in Wilson Garden. .
@GetzLover, Before getting installed there, just enquire abt the Labour cost @ A1.
They charge 1000Rs for this SIMPLE job.
It's a 10min job. I got it done for 100Rs from local water service centre, who lifted my car in hydraulic jack, Applied Soapwater & pushed the ASSISTERS to the desired location in the springs.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks