Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2018, 10:04   #106
BHPian

Re: Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Thank you for the comments. I am fine with the space gone from trunk as its always empty anyway. The box can be secured using those nets you get. The second type looks better to me too but at Rs 1700 it is quite expensive. I tried a few shops locally but none had this in Gurgaon. I assume locally will be cheaper as such heavy things involve a fair shipping cost added in price online.
You may want to check this in an FNG. They should be able to tell where they get it from or even better they may get it for you if you know them well
Old 29th December 2018, 08:39   #107
BHPian

Came from my morning trek, parked the car, saw my neighbour struggling to remove the tyre jack from the mount in his trunk as his tyre punctured. Apparently there is a holder to which the jack is mounted, and he was not able to remove it. I have seen this for the first time smh, i tried and failed too. Thought of lending my own jack from my Dzire, found out that even in my car, the jack was mounted in a holder, and I could not remove it!

I have previously changed tyres in a wagon r only twice and the jack was not mounted on a holder rather it was placed in thermocol space.

How do you remove the jack from the holder?
Old 29th December 2018, 11:19   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
...How do you remove the jack from the holder?
Have not seen how it is with the Dzire, but can you check if the jack has been "jacked up" to fit tightly in its spot? This is true if the hack itself is a bottle jack.

Unless this was obvious and you have already checked it, in which case, a photo will help to understand how it is locked in better.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 12:17   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Have not seen how it is with the Dzire, but can you check if the jack has been "jacked up" to fit tightly in its spot? This is true if the hack itself is a bottle jack.

Unless this was obvious and you have already checked it, in which case, a photo will help to understand how it is locked in better.
Oh my god I had never thought of it !

You are right! Although it was a scissor jack but it was tightened (jacked) on the holder, loosened it and it came out! Wow, thanks Sir!
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 20:21   #110
BHPian

There is a scary side to replacing your tire, doing it on the road. One time, an aluminium reflective stud just stuck itself to the front right tire and cut it open, causing instant deflation and the car just pulled itself to one side. The scary part was sitting and facing all incoming traffic, who didn't slow down despite the warning triangle.
Old 5th August 2024, 01:07   #111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Once the wheel nuts are tightened, lower the jack by turning the handle anti-clockwise and remove the jack from its mounting point.Then take the wheel spanner & fully tighten all 4 wheel nuts, again in the same diagonal order.
Attachment 53406

And if need be, please stand on the spanner again!
Attachment 53407

And so, you've changed a flat tyre! Remember to keep all the tools backs into the boot & the spare tyre too!
Another pro tip i learnt from my dad, loosen the nuts, place the scissor jack in position, extend it so its making contact with the vehicle (dont lift it too far up), wiggle it a bit to make sure its secure (incase its on gravel/ not on a completely flat surface) and before lifting it further off, take the spare wheel, and place it under the side of the car. This way if the jack stand fails, the car falls down onto the wheel, so your disc brake rotor/other parts dont get damaged, or worse, any part of your body getting caught under the car.

PLEASE INSPECT YOUR SCISSOR JACK FOR ANY RUST, IF IT DOES, PLEASE DO NOT USE IT

You might also think that if you raise the jack higher, youll have more reach, but please dont do this. Jack it up as less as possible, as the higher you jack it, the narrower the jack arms become, and the more likely it is to break/bend and fail. Factory scissor jack stands should only be used in emergencies, for doing diy maintenance etc, please get jack stands, these hold the vehicle in place and are far safer/Pickup ramps to drive the car up on. The spare wheel trick can still be employed in this situation too, if you have spare tyre walls, even better.

Also while placing the wheels on the ground, make sure the wheel face is facing up, and the back of it is on the ground, this wont scratch up your rims

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th August 2024 at 01:34. Reason: Trimming quoted post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks