Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2016, 16:11   #586
BHPian

Re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Finally, after 5 years, the stalling issue seems to have left my car. For the 5th year service, I narrated the problem to the SA and he assured me that he will rectify it. The service was done a couple of months back and the problem has not occurred since. He did a couple of software upgrades (could not be physically present when they did it) and this seems to have done the trick. Will monitor and report if the issue comes back. For my car, the clutch sensor was not changed.
Did the issue occur frequently for you? In my case the incidents happened several months apart.
Old 6th April 2016, 16:41   #587
BHPian

Re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

A known issue with an unknown fix!.
Even for me clutch sensor was not changed. Firmware update (2nd/3rd attempt) did the trick. This particular issue occurs randomly and firmware update fixes it at random(th) attempt. No concrete information on what causes the issue and what rectifies it .
Service persons' comes up with different reasons.
Old 11th April 2016, 09:15   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Did the issue occur frequently for you? In my case the incidents happened several months apart.
For me, it was occurring about once in 2 months sort of frequency. I can feel that the engine is behaving a little differently after the last service. It feels like the car is eager to stay alive while I depress the clutch to change gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
A known issue with an unknown fix!.
Even for me clutch sensor was not changed. Firmware update (2nd/3rd attempt) did the trick. This particular issue occurs randomly and firmware update fixes it at random(th) attempt. No concrete information on what causes the issue and what rectifies it .
Service persons' comes up with different reasons.
Now, I seriously doubt the service station's earlier claims of software upgrade. I feel they never bothered to do it in the first place and I was lazy to not check it. But this time, as I mentioned earlier, the engine character feels a bit different. I don't know how to put it to words, but there definitely is a change.
Old 21st April 2016, 12:12   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
For me, it was occurring about once in 2 months sort of frequency. I can feel that the engine is behaving a little differently after the last service. It feels like the car is eager to stay alive while I depress the clutch to change gears
Bad news. The issue is NOT resolved. Had the issue again while crossing a busy signal here in Bangalore. Next stop, clutch sensor replacement
Old 21st April 2016, 18:58   #590
BHPian

Just finished reading 40 pages of this thread. Issue in my chevy spark is very similar. It is CNGed but issue occurs in petrol mode too.
The moment I press clutch to change gears, car vibrates and stalls. If I take corrective action then and there by releasing clutch I manage to keep it running otherwise it just stops and I need to re-crank.

Local mechanic here advised change of throttle body at an expense of 8K. Any suggestion guys.
Old 21st April 2016, 21:07   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The clutch switch is the culprit for the stall issue. Same issue was seen in my car. At first they identified as firmware issue then they said clutch switch needs to be set correctly. They adjusted some play in the clutch sensor switch so it doesn't keep turning off the engine. My guess is they should have changed it under warranty which they did not.
Hi

Any idea what adjustment they did? I am wondering that if i replace my clutch switch with a new one, will it be okay or will the new one also require this adjustment (i.e., if the new one has the same setting as the old one)
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:32   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Just finished reading 40 pages of this thread. Issue in my chevy spark is very similar. It is CNGed but issue occurs in petrol mode too.....
Quick update. Local mechanic said that there is no clutch switch in chevy spark. Clutch switch in ONLY present in cars wherein you need to press clutch before starting.
Can anybody confirm if this is the case and do we need to press clutch before starting Ford vehicles (Figo etc).

Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:10   #593
BHPian

The main issue discussed in this thread still persist inmy June 2010 TDCi Figo. It still regularly dies on me, only in the first few Kms in the morning. Firmware updates several times has no effect.

And now, I am facing another problem! The car won't accelerate at all. Faced this twice already in a span of 2 months. When I am cruising at say 60, and then trying to press the pedal as the road is clear, it won't have any impact, it just doesnt work. Day before yesterday, it happened again and I took the car aside. Switched off, switched on, no effect. I then put it into reverse gear and then slowly the accelerator took some effect, then it was normal again. THis is scary, I will soon visit the ASS but I dont think they will be of any help! Guess time to give away this car for a better one!!
Old 27th August 2016, 15:03   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Quick update. Local mechanic said that there is no clutch switch in chevy spark. Clutch switch in ONLY present in cars wherein you need to press clutch before starting.
Can anybody confirm if this is the case and do we need to press clutch before starting Ford vehicles (Figo etc).

Thanks
Hi SparkGuy. The mechanic is wrong about the correlation between the clutch switch and depressing the clutch before starting the car. You do not need to press the clutch before starting Ford cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
The main issue discussed in this thread still persist inmy June 2010 TDCi Figo. It still regularly dies on me, only in the first few Kms in the morning. Firmware updates several times has no effect.

And now, I am facing another problem! The car won't accelerate at all. Faced this twice already in a span of 2 months. When I am cruising at say 60, and then trying to press the pedal as the road is clear, it won't have any impact, it just doesnt work. Day before yesterday, it happened again and I took the car aside. Switched off, switched on, no effect. I then put it into reverse gear and then slowly the accelerator took some effect, then it was normal again. THis is scary, I will soon visit the ASS but I dont think they will be of any help! Guess time to give away this car for a better one!!
This seems to be problem with the throttle position sensor or with the throttle body itself. The Ford ASS should easily be able to change the sensor. Or, in the other case just clean the throttle body and check.
Old 27th August 2016, 16:14   #595
BHPian

Quote:
The main issue discussed in this thread still persist inmy June 2010 TDCi Figo. It still regularly dies on me, only in the first few Kms in the morning. The car won't accelerate at all. Faced this twice already in a span of 2 months. When I am cruising at say 60, and then trying to press the pedal as the road is clear, it won't have any impact, it just doesnt work.
Apart from other checks such as clutch sensor, throttle body cleaning, go ahead with proper egr cleaning followed by a ecu flash. This should resolve the issue.
Old 29th August 2016, 17:05   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post

This seems to be problem with the throttle position sensor or with the throttle body itself. The Ford ASS should easily be able to change the sensor. Or, in the other case just clean the throttle body and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Apart from other checks such as clutch sensor, throttle body cleaning, go ahead with proper egr cleaning followed by a ecu flash. This should resolve the issue.
Thanks, guys!
I actually sold my six year old Figo and got a new VW Vento TDi Highline DSG!
Old 29th August 2016, 17:30   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, guys!
I actually sold my six year old Figo and got a new VW Vento TDi Highline DSG!
Congratulations on the Vento. The Figopian now becomes a Ventopian
Old 29th August 2016, 22:48   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
Congratulations on the Vento. The Figopian now becomes a Ventopian
Yes. 😊 Unfortunately this forum doesn't allow change of handle once registered
Old 9th November 2017, 10:44   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The clutch switch is the culprit for the stall issue. Same issue was seen in my car. At first they identified as firmware issue then they said clutch switch needs to be set correctly. They adjusted some play in the clutch sensor switch so it doesn't keep turning off the engine. My guess is they should have changed it under warranty which they did not.
My 2012 Figo TDCi has been experiencing the stalling issue for the last one year. Lathangi Ford and now JSP Ford flashed the latest firmware twice. The problem has only gotten worse. Last month, while driving back from Kerala, had a scary experience. The engine stalled while I was overtaking a bus on a 2 lane highway. Thankfully there was no oncoming traffic so was able to start the car again and gain control. Took the car to JSP after that, they drove it around for a few kms, the car did not stall. They couldn't figure out what the problem is. When I mentioned to the SA at JSP Ford that the clutch sensor could be the culprit, based on what I have read online, he said there is no issue with the sensor. He then asked me if the RPM drops drastically before engine shutdown. When I said yes, he said the EGR valve must be faulty and should be replaced. He quoted Rs 22000 for the valve. Frankly, I'm not confident if the problem will go away even after replacing the valve since this diagnosis is based on my observation, and not based on a thorough diagnostics test.

Considering different service centers have been giving different solutions for an apparently similar problem, will escalating the matter to Ford help? Or does this appear to be a case of Ford trying to hide a manufacturing defect?

Mods: I'm not sure if the thread subject should say 'solved'. The updated firmware has clearly not helped in my case. And looking at some of the earlier comments, even in some other cases.

Last edited by MorePower : 9th November 2017 at 10:49. Reason: Additional comments
Old 10th November 2017, 03:42   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
When I mentioned to the SA at JSP Ford that the clutch sensor could be the culprit, based on what I have read online, he said there is no issue with the sensor.
I too faced the same issue that the engine used to suddenly die out of nowhere. Ford flashed the firmware but it didn't help.

Replaced the Clutch Sensor and everything is now fine. Get it changed even if SA says its working perfectly. Costs Rs. 200.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks