Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2012, 18:12   #541
BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Got the Stalling issue for the first time today. The car is a Figo D, one year (infact exactly one year) old and running on 18640 Kms.

Was doing around 50 KMPH in a empty road and was planning to take a Left Turn. The drive was so good that I missed the left and start to press the brake and also drove towards the left most lane.

Dont know what happened in a matter of 2 to 3 secs, I heard some warning sounds and Steering became heavy. Then noticed that the car had shut it down.

Key points to note - Fuel level low and into the Red mark and DTE was showing 120 kms
I remember braking and was about to press clutch. RPM should have been fairly good as I was doing 50+ in 5th Gear

Car due for 3 rd Service this week Wednesday but will not say anything to the Service center. Will wait for the incidence to repeat.

Thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 06:21   #542
Senior - BHPian

Experienced something weird while driving my Figo D this morning.

Was doing about 80kmph in the 5th gear, there was a sudden loss of power (but the engine did not shutdown). Downshifted to fourth instantly.

On downshifting the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) started glowing very briefly for about 3 seconds along with the usual warning chime.

I just slowed down a bit and continued driving in the left lane for about 10 kms. However the event did not recur.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue? Should I take it to the ASC or just ignore it? My car is 6m old with less than 6k on the odo.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 22nd December 2012 at 06:28.
Old 22nd December 2012, 14:27   #543
BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Experienced something weird while driving my Figo D this morning.

Was doing about 80kmph in the 5th gear, there was a sudden loss of power (but the engine did not shutdown). Downshifted to fourth instantly.

On downshifting the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) started glowing very briefly for about 3 seconds along with the usual warning chime.

I just slowed down a bit and continued driving in the left lane for about 10 kms. However the event did not recur.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue? Should I take it to the ASC or just ignore it? My car is 6m old with less than 6k on the odo.
Check your Fuel filters, May be clogged due to poor fuel
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 18:35   #544
BHPian

Hello Fellow BHPians

A Very Happy New Year to all.

I am coming back with the same issue on my Friend's FIGO. It is stalling again even after repeated visits to ASC and replacements of injectors,upgrading the PCM software and all checks done by Ford ASC etc.

Again when I went to my hometown for vacation this week I had a chat with one of my local friend.He is also owning a FIGO Jan 2012 batch(same as my friend's)and having the same problem.Also his FIGO gives a poor mileage of 13 kmpl even after second service.He also told me one of his friend's 2012 Fiesta(Classic) gives a very poor mileage of 14 Km as well .He has done the second service too.

Does anyone has similar issues with 2012 batch of FIGO and FIESTA.If so please highlight the issues in detail.

All three have replaced the fuel injectors and still it's a mystery for FORD ASC.I don't think FORD ASC in Kerala has enough skills to find a remedy for this.

Does this a manufacturing defect of 2012 batch of FIGO and FIESTA?

Any suggestions from experts.
Old 7th January 2013, 12:56   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
I am coming back with the same issue on my Friend's FIGO. It is stalling again even after repeated visits to ASC and replacements of injectors,upgrading the PCM software and all checks done by Ford ASC etc.

Does anyone has similar issues with 2012 batch of FIGO and FIESTA.If so please highlight the issues in detail.

All three have replaced the fuel injectors and still it's a mystery for FORD ASC.I don't think FORD ASC in Kerala has enough skills to find a remedy for this.
I would suggest your friend to sent a detailed mail regarding this to custmail@ford.com, and also post it on their FB page. They take it pretty seriously. Wait for them to respond and proceed accordingly. Since the A.S.S. is now clueless about what to do, it doesn't make sense to let them play around with the car. And also make sure that the ECU has been updated with the new firmware. Kindly double check that with another A.S.S. just to make sure.

Regarding the mileage, on the face of it, it seems low, but I have no idea about the driving conditions. But if it's Trivandrum and if he doesn't get caught in the peak technopark traffic, he should be getting at least around 16KMPL with 60-70% AC usage. Please ask him to try a different fuel station for one time and see if there is any difference in the car behaviour or the mileage.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 18:54   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I would suggest your friend to sent a detailed mail regarding this to custmail@ford.com, and also post it on their FB page. They take it pretty seriously. Wait for them to respond and proceed accordingly. Since the A.S.S. is now clueless about what to do, it doesn't .
Hi jayded

Thanks

I have advised him the same and he did update on Facebook and sent an e-mail to ford. Still no replies yet.

Meanwhile he given the car to ASC at Kollam and they reset the PCM and now it works fine. According to him the car will be smooth for 2weeks after every PCM reset. This is the fourth time they are doing this
Old 8th February 2013, 01:45   #547
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Today morning my brother experienced the stalling in Figo. Stalling sequence was similar to one described by many here. Slow down , depress clutch and car has stalled.

I have updated details here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3035980

Planning to sell of my Figo. Dont want Value for money and driving please not at risk of life. I would rather buy a Ritz or live with TATA service but not with dangerously stalling car.

Last edited by recshenoy : 8th February 2013 at 01:47.
Old 8th February 2013, 02:09   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Planning to sell of my Figo. Dont want Value for money and driving please not at risk of life. I would rather buy a Ritz or live with TATA service but not with dangerously stalling car.
Have you faced the engine stalling yourself yet? Otherwise, selling your car because your brother's car stalled might not be a wise decision, in my opinion. Kindly asked your brother to take his car over to the A.S.S. and get the ECU firmware checked. This is a known issue with the Figo TDCi and the fix is to update the firmware with the new debugged version. Yeah it's scary when it happens, but there is a solution to it (at least that is what I believe from my experience so far).

Tell him not to panic and ask him to get it fixed at the A.S.S. asap. How old is his car? The new batches would be coming out from factory with the new firmware anyway. If the firmware in his car is the latest version, and still it stalled, then we have an issue in hand.

Drive safe.
Old 8th February 2013, 10:11   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded

Have you faced the engine stalling yourself yet? Otherwise, selling your car because your brother's car stalled might not be a wise decision, ....

Drive safe.
Car is mine and he was driving it today. And going by description of stalling, its the same issue which many here faced. Also a.s.s had updated firmwear during previous service visit if I remember correctly. Need to go to a.s.s and check tomorrow. Looks like ford is hiding this issue from public and putting people life at risk. So I will try my best to make this news reach masses who trapped by Value For Money tag
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 21:05   #550
BHPian

Hi Folks!!

Such a relief to find this thread! I am a Vista owner and am facing exactly the same problem. And guess what! the Tata Service Center's reponse is exactly the same as what you people have mentioned here is of Ford's Service center :(. They say Laptop says everything is alright. There are very few Vista owners here facing this problem. I really hope someone finds a solution. Would a Clutch parts replacement help?
Old 10th March 2013, 21:58   #551
Senior - BHPian

^ Is it the TDi or the quadrajet?
Old 18th March 2013, 11:59   #552
BHPian

Finally caught the long dreaded bug, 14 months and 15500 kms later, my first experience with the engine stalling.

No warning nothing, it just died, wasn't even in gear, was coasting to a red light and all I can hear is some beeping sounds, quick look over the dash, and all the lights at ignition are lit up.

I follow a routine, religiously, when I start the car, every time
  1. slot and one turn, the key in, and wait till the beeps are done
  2. Start the car, belt up.
  3. Wait for atleast 40 secs before pressing the clutch.
  4. Slot it in first gear and inch forward, even though I have to reverse the car out of the gate. Then switch the radio.
  5. Drive below 20 till I reach the main road, or for atleast 5 mins.
  6. start the AC after approx 500 mtrs or 10 mins

I did not follow this routine yesterday, had to start the AC well in advance as the Home Minster was ready to fire me.

Drove approx 2 kms and the engine stalled.

For everyone who has experienced this phenomenon, please let me know if you have followed the above steps and STILL faced this issue?
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 12:03   #553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Drove approx 2 kms and the engine stalled.

For everyone who has experienced this phenomenon, please let me know if you have followed the above steps and STILL faced this issue?
I follow the same exact routine as you mentioned still I faced the problem after one year. After the ECU firmware upgrade, it has not happened even once. It's been 17 months since the ECU was flashed.
Old 18th March 2013, 12:29   #554
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here with the new Figo experienced this problem ?

So far i have done approx 10k kms without any problem.
Old 18th March 2013, 12:41   #555
BHPian

My Figo tdci April 2012 has done 19 k till date. I have had similar instances of the engine dying while downshifting. THe most recent incident was a couple of days ago. I tried something which I did once on my brother's old Opel Corsa when it had ECU problems. I just went ahead with the downshift and slipped the clutch... the engine came back to life. It was an empty road, so safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks