Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:59   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Thats perfectly normal if your car does that, its the ECM at work supplying more air and keeping the revs high avoiding stalling of your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I have noticed for the last couple of days tht my figo exi petrol does not stall or produce a knocking noise even at 20kph.what happens is that the car keeps accelerating by itself and just refuses to die down even when i have my legs off the clutch and the accelerator and the gear is in the 4th or 5th.I am taking it to the ASC tomorrow to get it checked.Anybody has any clue why this happens?
Old 21st August 2012, 08:16   #497
BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Hello all, i purchased my Figo Diesel in October 2010. Since then only I had facing the engine stalling issue. Whenever I downshift the engine just dies. My car is going to the workshop on 23rd August for RTB checkup. So I am planning to get the engine stalling issue rectified. So please tell me what are the steps that would be done to solve the problem? Will ECU be changed completely? Hope to hear soon.

Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 16:28   #498
Senior - BHPian

Hey Folks, this weekend I finally came across the dreaded Figo stalling act :( after having driven for about 6K kms. I have a Feb 12 vehicle which ideally comes with updated ECU s/w. Never faced this problem before but on the weekend while driving back from Mysore to Bangalore, i went over a speed bump at about 30kmph and suddenly it all went limp and all warning lamps came up. Luckily there wasnt much traffic behind and gradually moved to the left most lane and stopped slowly with limited braking. It was a scary experience, will monitor this closely to see if problem re-occurs.

Any suggestions ? To me it seems like a one off incident for now. Will hold on reporting to A.S.S untill it reoccurs again.
Old 21st August 2012, 23:57   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Hello all, i purchased my Figo Diesel in October 2010. Since then only I had facing the engine stalling issue. Whenever I downshift the engine just dies. My car is going to the workshop on 23rd August for RTB checkup. So I am planning to get the engine stalling issue rectified. So please tell me what are the steps that would be done to solve the problem? Will ECU be changed completely? Hope to hear soon.

Thanks
Just let the SA know about the stalling issue. They should, by now, be aware of the issue, and if they refuse to acknowledge it or tell it's a driver error, then just tell them to update the firmware of your car's ECU to the latest GD version. There was a TSB from Ford specifically to update the firmware of cars which came in with this issue. Your ECU will not be changed, only the firmware will be updated to a newer updated version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Hey Folks, this weekend I finally came across the dreaded Figo stalling act :( after having driven for about 6K kms. I have a Feb 12 vehicle which ideally comes with updated ECU s/w. Never faced this problem before but on the weekend while driving back from Mysore to Bangalore, i went over a speed bump at about 30kmph and suddenly it all went limp and all warning lamps came up. Luckily there wasnt much traffic behind and gradually moved to the left most lane and stopped slowly with limited braking. It was a scary experience, will monitor this closely to see if problem re-occurs.

Any suggestions ? To me it seems like a one off incident for now. Will hold on reporting to A.S.S untill it reoccurs again.
I'm not sure about what exactly happened on your car, but from what you have posted, it seems like you were on a higher gear than what you were supposed to be in? Did the car die when you depressed the clutch or while crossing over the bump while throttling? If it stalled while the clutch was depressed, then you might be having a problem, otherwise it's just one of those mistake we make involuntarily once in a while.

Just to update on how my car has been running, the last time my car stalled was when the odo was 9700 odd kms, and today the odo stands at close to 24K kms. Except for the jerky shifts (especially 2-3) and the other common niggles, the car drives like a dream. My car VIN shows that it's not part of the RTB replacement drive but I'm planning to take it to Lathangi Ford when I visit Bangalore during September. Will try to get the niggles ironed out as well.
jayded is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:35   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I'm not sure about what exactly happened on your car, but from what you have posted, it seems like you were on a higher gear than what you were supposed to be in? Did the car die when you depressed the clutch or while crossing over the bump while throttling? If it stalled while the clutch was depressed, then you might be having a problem, otherwise it's just one of those mistake we make involuntarily once in a while.
Thats why I want to wait for sometime before i report to A.S.S to be certain. As far as i recall it happened to me while going over a speed bump, so i was slowing and down shifting, so the clutch was certainly pressed but then cant be 100% sure since it does happen within a second. Will drive around for some more time and see if incident re-occurs.
Old 24th August 2012, 10:10   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Just let the SA know about the stalling issue. They should, by now, be aware of the issue, and if they refuse to acknowledge it or tell it's a driver error, then just tell them to update the firmware of your car's ECU to the latest GD version. There was a TSB from Ford specifically to update the firmware of cars which came in with this issue. Your ECU will not be changed, only the firmware will be updated to a newer updated version.
Just after a solution to the stalling issue was found and you mentioned there is a TSB that every dealer should be aware of, I had my car serviced and the issue seemed to be resolved. Unfortunately, the issue has cropped up again and I am facing stalling every now and then. (Ironically, my wife says, see? the car dies even when you are driving! so it's not just me @#$* )

Do any one know the latest version of the firmaware that the ECU needs to be updated to? The last time I had checked this thread, I think it was version 75.04? I am going to ask the SA to update the version tomorrow when I am taking my car to them for the RTB check.
Old 6th September 2012, 14:00   #502
BHPian

Hello Friends
Is the stalling issue limited to the TDCi engines or even the petrol figos? Im asking this because just half an hour back I faced this issue. I was going over an unscientific speed breaker(SB) in the neighborhood and was very slow 10kmph but in 2nd gear with the clutch fully depressed. Once crossed, i released the clutch and accelerated. The beeping sound was heard and three lights came on and the car slowly died.

I couldnt move and was stuck in the middle of the road. I took out the key and again put it back in and turned one click. Then 2nd click when all the check lights come on. Here after the check, the Engine, Battery and Oil lamp stayed on. Tried to turn on the ignition and it started. The lights disappeared also. Somehow managed to reach my home safely.

Is this the stalling issue? Now the lights stay on when the key is in middle position. Once the ignition is switched on the lights disappear. Here is a click of the same.Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford-figoerror.jpg.

Please advise. Thanks.
Old 6th September 2012, 14:10   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
..Is this the stalling issue? Now the lights stay on when the key is in middle position. Once the ignition is switched on the lights disappear. Here is a click of the same
I guess you stalled the engine because of the ultra low speed in 2nd gear. May be the accelerator input was not sufficient to prevent the engine from stalling.

Regarding the lights, I don't find anything strange. That's how it operates in my figo as well I guess.
Old 6th September 2012, 14:10   #504
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Review, Price & Pictures

I don't think its the same stalling issue because the TDCI used to stall when the clutch was pressed for changing the gear, even on a flat road. In your case, the engine stalled when you depressed the clutch and were accelerating. This happens sometimes when we keep the car in higher gear after negotiating a bump or a pot hole and there is enough load on the engine, like AC! May be the car was requiring 1st gear instead of 2nd.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 14:20   #505
BHPian

Hello Friends
Is the stalling issue limited to the TDCi engines or even the petrol figos? Im asking this because just half an hour back I faced this issue. I was going over an unscientific speed breaker(SB) in the neighborhood and was very slow 10kmph but in 2nd gear with the clutch fully depressed. Once crossed, i released the clutch and accelerated. The beeping sound was heard and three lights came on and the car slowly died.

I couldnt move and was stuck in the middle of the road. I took out the key and again put it back in and turned one click. Then 2nd click when all the check lights come on. Here after the check, the Engine, Battery and Oil lamp stayed on. Tried to turn on the ignition and it started. The lights disappeared also. Somehow managed to reach my home safely.

Is this the stalling issue? Now the lights stay on when the key is in middle position. Once the ignition is switched on the lights disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post

Regarding the lights, I don't find anything strange. That's how it operates in my figo as well I guess.
Hey thanks for the quick reply mate. But the way the engine died down, kind of worried me. I mean everytime i would face some issue of stalling, i'd downshift. Here I depressed the clutch to keep revving in order to prevent the engine switching off, but the engine just died despite accelerator input.

Are you sure about the lights? I don't recall now whether they used to switch off completely before turning on the ignition or stayed on (just like those moments when you have the phone in your hand and keep asking where is it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I don't think its the same stalling issue because the TDCI used to stall when the clutch was pressed for changing the gear, even on a flat road. In your case, the engine stalled when you depressed the clutch and were accelerating. This happens sometimes when we keep the car in higher gear after negotiating a bump or a pot hole and there is enough load on the engine, like AC! May be the car was requiring 1st gear instead of 2nd.
Thanks for the prompt reply

What worried me was the lights coming on and staying in the ON position itself. Usually in such a situation as you described, the lights come on, but on depressing the clutch and revving a bit, the lights go off. Here it stayed on and despite accelerator input, the engine died. I did not depress the clutch again while applying accelerator as the car had already started to move. But stopped completely. Probably Im worrying too much.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th October 2012 at 17:09. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 6th September 2012, 14:50   #506
BHPian

I also stalled twice in two month of tdci ownership and I blame my driving style on a big road hump. I was in second gear and clutch pressed half after front wheels going through, the engine stalled. This may be due to my driving style with petrol cars all these years.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 15:10   #507
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
I also stalled twice in two month of tdci ownership and I blame my driving style on a big road hump. I was in second gear and clutch pressed half after front wheels going through, the engine stalled. This may be due to my driving style with petrol cars all these years.
The very first time I drove my car, I had the same issue. I have been driving a Santro and switching to the TDCi, I had to do some changes to my driving style. For almost all of the Banglaore humps, where the Santro goes over in 2nd gear without an issue, the TDCi has to be downshifted to 1st.
But there is an upside for the TDCi. While driving in Kerala, I encountered a moderately steep incline with slow moving traffic. We were 2 adults and 1 kid in the car, with a weekend travel luggage and other stuff. I put it in first and released the clutch slowly, just to see how it behaves without any throttle input. The car just crawled up the incline without any fuss.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 15:15   #508
BHPian

Guys I am facing a strange problem in my Ford Figo Diesel. Recently I gave my car for RTB replacement. As my car was going to the workshop I asked the people in the workshop to uldate the ECU firmware as the engine stalling issue was present in my Figo. They have updated the firmware and the stalling issue is no longer present.

But 2 days back when I was driving suddenly the car stopped and the Malfunction Warning lamp started glowing and a beep sound started coming. I restarted my car and the everything was back to normal. The MIL went off. I was lucky that this happened in my colony. But today also when I was going same thing happened. A beep soung started coming along with the glowing of Malfuncttion light. And the engine just stopped. Luckily the roads were empty at that time. I think it is quite dangerous to drive around in Figo with this type of issue. Please let me know what is the problem.
Old 9th September 2012, 17:44   #509
BHPian

Get it checked at the ASSC. Ask them to scan for any error codes. Any special circumstances in which it occurs? How is the engine behaving other than that?
Old 9th September 2012, 19:26   #510
BHPian

The engine is absoluteky normal. Today evening the same thing happened. Besides MIL, 2-4 other indicator lamps also light up. When this happens the engine switches off an car comes to a standstill. Then when I restart the car the warning lamps goes off. And car starts behaving normally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks