Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2011, 10:33   #481
Team-BHP Support

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The earlier Figos seem to have come with a GB version and they are upgrading it to a GD version along with a clutch pedal adjustment to change the gap between the clutch switch. These two are supposed to solve the stalling issue. Got it done on my car. Lets see how successful they have been.
GB was the version released in November. They came out with GD just recently.

I believe my car was the first one at Metro Ford to get the clutch pedal adjustment done early november. They called Ford and then received some photos detailing the clutch settings that need to be done. 2 guys then tried setting it with a steel ruler while on conference with ford. Finally they figured out that the gap needs to be 2mm and not 20mm.

I'll try and take a pic and show you guys what was adjusted as I was there when this was done and they showed me the pics from Ford.

I'll probably upgrade to GD when I drop in next time to Metro ford.
Old 21st December 2011, 14:18   #482
BANNED

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

guys, good to know that the problem is resolved.
I gather there are 2 'fixes' :
- upgrade the ECU s/w to GD version
- clutch gap adjustment to 2mm from the erstwhile 20mm.

My brother has just recently booked a figo TDCi titanium (cochin). He is to get the delivery by Jan first week.

- Whom should he contact and find out whether this problem is addressed on his delivered vehicle ?
- Will contacting anyone at the dealer (kairali ford) help ? (is it likely that he will get a car with Dec2011 VIN ? )
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:50   #483
Senior - BHPian

I think he just needs to check the software version on the computer at the a.s.s. But i rather suggest he enjoy driving his car. A new car is always precious.
Old 12th January 2012, 13:21   #484
Senior - BHPian

i have driven my car for around 25000 Km i did not get the stalling problem till the recent past, i have faced the problem 3 times in Last two months, should i get getting the Updated firmware on the ECU?
Old 12th January 2012, 13:32   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
i have driven my car for around 25000 Km i did not get the stalling problem till the recent past, i have faced the problem 3 times in Last two months, should i get getting the Updated firmware on the ECU?
If you faced it thrice in recent past why kolaveri with your car man? Go get your ECU firmware upgraded!
Old 13th January 2012, 22:26   #486
Senior - BHPian

I have alrady done that Saar, and it was updated with version GD.
Old 13th January 2012, 22:57   #487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have alrady done that Saar, and it was updated with version GD.
Yikes!!

Stalling still present when updated to version GD is surprising. Can you tell me how your sure it was updated to GD?

I took my car to Ford and the connected the ECU scanner and after 20mins claimed that SW was upgraded to GB. He then took the car for washing and told me he needs to send update to Ford. Till then car cannot be delivered to customer. I told him I need to take the car and go out for lunch. After lunch I will come back and you will get the confirmation till then. Drove out for lunch and there was no perceptible difference in the way the car drove.

Came back to Ford after lunch and they said Ford has told them to check a few things. They took the car back and again hooked it up and the SA informed me that he forgot to select some option as a result the SW update did not happen. After that I drove the car and it was noticeably different.

So If they did not perform the right steps it is very likely you were never on GD.
Old 16th January 2012, 15:07   #488
Senior - BHPian

No Saar i mean that i have updated the Version and the issue should be resolved now..

For me the software update took just around 10 minutes they had to swithch off and switch on the ignition key multiple times when they were doing it.

Last edited by desideep : 16th January 2012 at 15:08.
Old 16th January 2012, 15:42   #489
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No Saar i mean that i have updated the Version and the issue should be resolved now..

For me the software update took just around 10 minutes they had to swithch off and switch on the ignition key multiple times when they were doing it.
What I'm saying is that even for me it took 10mins and they had to turn the key on/off mutliple times. They said software updated.

After 1 hour they connected it again and said looks like it did not get upgraded properly, we need to do it again. Second time he double checked and found it got updated.
Old 16th January 2012, 15:48   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What I'm saying is that even for me it took 10mins and they had to turn the key on/off mutliple times. They said software updated.

After 1 hour they connected it again and said looks like it did not get upgraded properly, we need to do it again. Second time he double checked and found it got updated.
Oh is that it?... actually i talked to them while they were updating it and the person mentioned that it would not be possible to check the previous version though he confirmed with me that the new version is done and it was GD.
Old 20th January 2012, 00:06   #491
BHPian

Is the GD version of PCM software giving less mileage per liter?

Till the time I had the company version (don't know which version it is and it stalled the car 4 times till I got it updated) it gave me 17.5 kmpl in city last winter (Jan 2011) and 19.5 kmpl on highways (50% AC) in October 2011.

But after I got it updated to GD, mileage has dropped to 16.3 kmpl in city and 17.3 kmpl on highways in winters (no AC) at constant 80 to 90 kmph speed.

Tyre pressure is 35psi all tyres. Any tips to improve mileage?

Which is the better way to calculate mileage? Brimming the tank or stopping filling it at cut off? After cut off the tank takes in around 2 to 2.3 litres of more diesel.
Old 26th January 2012, 00:10   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Is the GD version of PCM software giving less mileage per liter?

Till the time I had the company version (don't know which version it is and it stalled the car 4 times till I got it updated) it gave me 17.5 kmpl in city last winter (Jan 2011) and 19.5 kmpl on highways (50% AC) in October 2011.

But after I got it updated to GD, mileage has dropped to 16.3 kmpl in city and 17.3 kmpl on highways in winters (no AC) at constant 80 to 90 kmph speed.

Which is the better way to calculate mileage? Brimming the tank or stopping filling it at cut off? After cut off the tank takes in around 2 to 2.3 litres of more diesel.
Actually others previously reported none to positive changes in FE, yours is the first report that says otherwise.

Any other Figo owners who have the same experience with the enw software?
Old 26th January 2012, 09:10   #493
Senior - BHPian

No. I think the car drives better now since the third gear has become much more useful. The F.E stays almost at same levels. Worst being around 11 and best being around 19. I run at 30 psi.
Old 26th January 2012, 09:55   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
35 psi on all tyres? IMO, that is a bit too high. I normally follow the rule that if I am driving all alone the tyre pressure is kept at 28-29 psi. If there are four occupants apart from me with weekend luggage, the pressure is kept at 32-3 psi

(Though I have noticed we can never be sure of the actual pressure in the tyres due to uncalibrated pressure meters)

Tips to improve efficiency are (Which work for me atleast) :-

1. Never rush through gears.
2. Anticipate slow speeds or stops before hand and adjust your speed accordingly.
3. Minimize short drives of like 5 to 7 KM. They really hamper the avg.

HTH
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:48   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
one more observation, the car does not stall even in the general stall situations.
Now yesterday, in this jam, I was in fourth gear and the car is just moving on at 25 kmph w/o a complaint, only when I had to slow down even more did I realize that I was in gear four and the car did not complain for a second! I am not too sure if I was in a similar situation before, but my guess would be that I would have down shifted much earlier. To test this I later went on to an empty road and the car just accelerates by itself if you leave it in gear 4 but does not stall!! In fifth at similar speeds, the car started lugging a LOT but did not stall, I thought I should not try for long and downshifted and sped away.

The engine noise exists for me, and since others are not facing this issue, I am dismissing this as a fuel issue (i faced this before too with BP diesel).

fingers crossed!
I have noticed for the last couple of days tht my figo exi petrol does not stall or produce a knocking noise even at 20kph.what happens is that the car keeps accelerating by itself and just refuses to die down even when i have my legs off the clutch and the accelerator and the gear is in the 4th or 5th.I am taking it to the ASC tomorrow to get it checked.Anybody has any clue why this happens?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks