Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 22:15   #466
Team-BHP Support

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

All done guys. Got the car back from Metro Ford. I must say they really bent over backwards to get my issue sorted out.

I had complained of 2 issues, one was the car stalling albeit rarely 3 times over the last 3 months but on one day got it twice. Second was the gears being hard to slot in.

For the stalling they first pumped water out of the diesel filter. A fairly easy job I must say and the SA when the light turns on on the highway this can be DIY.

Secondly they upgraded the PCM software of the ECU. To upgrade the software they need the latest version IDS software diagnostic tool version 74 or higher. Metro Ford had v75.04 IDS.

As per the TSB the upgrade software part number for the PCM is AS61-650-GB. "GB" denotes the latest version of the PCM.

Second was the gear issue. First they adjusted the cables. Another very easy DIY. When the car is lifted up you see near the gearbox a plastic cover. When you open this cover the gear cable is visible. There's a release switch which is first released then they align the cable. This has do be done when car is in 3rd gear. Done.

Next they adjusted the clutch pedal. There's an adjustment to the pedal which needs to be done from below the dash board. They first need to make sure the gap is 20mm. Next there is another adjustment which needs to be done to make sure the gap between this 20mm gap is 2mm lesser than the 20mm. It's difficult to explain and i couldn't see this while they were working on it below the dash. They had a photo from Ford they were referring to while checking the measurements with a steel ruler.

After all these adjustments my observations are:

- Gear shift quality is now much much better proper slick throws.
- Clutch is a bit lighter and easier to engage.
- Gears and clutch engage very smoothly now compared to earlier where I had to be precise for a smooth shift.
- The acceleration with no ABC in lower rpm is now increased. Car accelerates in 2nd and 3rd without giving any gas.
- To crank the car I now have to keep the ignition turned a fraction of a second more. Instead of half crank to start it's like 3/4th crank now.
- Noise is marginally better maybe a psychological thing.
- City driving is less jerky.

Overall, I am happy. Metro Ford assigned a senior SA who spent the entire day on the car along with another guy who took over later on in afternoon. This guy was on call with the senior SA as well. The CRM was constantly in touch with me as well as with the SA and they were literally on call with Ford Chennai throughout and exchanging mails with detailed pics on things to check.

A big Thumbs up to Metro Ford and Ford India for the prompt response. Will keep everyone updated on the stalling.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 22:45   #467
BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Guys I think 75 is the Ids software version that ford uses for ecu programming and not the actual firmware. I just got it done and the ecu firmware had a part number as61 something which I was told is the new firmware. All along the software showed version 75.04 on the laptop.
Hi Vid6639

I noticed that after the software upgrade to version 75, the 'water in fuel' light (placed on top right next to rear fog lamp indicator) does not light up at all while the key is on position II (when all the check lights light up b4 cranking). Can you, anil and figo mba please confirm it.

Thanks.
Old 12th November 2011, 22:49   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Hi Vid6639

I noticed that after the software upgrade to version 75, the 'water in fuel' light (placed on top right next to rear fog lamp indicator) does not light up at all while the key is on position II (when all the check lights light up b4 cranking). Can you, anil and figo mba please confirm it.

Thanks.
I will confirm this but do read my post completely, version 75 is not the ECU software but the version of the diagnostic tool used by the dealer.
Old 13th November 2011, 12:16   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Is it the fiesta classic? Or the fiesta before it was badged classic?
No, Its not fiesta classic.
Old 13th November 2011, 13:33   #470
Senior - BHPian

one more observation, the car does not stall even in the general stall situations. the other day I suddenly encountered a traffic jam and started decelerating, generally I downshift on demand, that is if i feel the engine is demanding to be in a lower gear, which if feel by engine characteristic.

Now yesterday, in this jam, I was in fourth gear and the car is just moving on at 25 kmph w/o a complaint, only when I had to slow down even more did I realize that I was in gear four and the car did not complain for a second! I am not too sure if I was in a similar situation before, but my guess would be that I would have down shifted much earlier. To test this I later went on to an empty road and the car just accelerates by itself if you leave it in gear 4 but does not stall!! In fifth at similar speeds, the car started lugging a LOT but did not stall, I thought I should not try for long and downshifted and sped away.

The engine noise exists for me, and since others are not facing this issue, I am dismissing this as a fuel issue (i faced this before too with BP diesel).

fingers crossed!

Last edited by anilisanil : 13th November 2011 at 13:36.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 17:20   #471
BHPian

i drove the figo for 1300kms over the weekend and never did the car stall. To tell you the truth there were many instances where earlier the figo used to stall, but not now.

The car just would not stop whatever you do.

I got a mileage of 20.8kmpl which is awesome considering the fact that some of the places i drove did not have roads at all (felt like I was on the Moon).

Stalling issue is definitely gone for me. I have regained my confidence on the car.
I drove 1000kms straight
(24hours on the road : 19hours drive 3hours in temple queue and then rest for food and fuel stop)

and it was awesome.
We should close this thread in my humble opinion since the issue is solved.
Old 17th November 2011, 21:05   #472
Senior - BHPian

Mine stalled again!!! I think i need to check the software version to confirm if they really did the upgrade.
Old 18th November 2011, 10:36   #473
BHPian

At Ford A.S.S right now, getting the firmware upgrade
Old 18th November 2011, 14:55   #474
BHPian

Got the update done and drove 15 KM after that. I feel the engine a bit less stressed after the update, but that can be purely psychological. Though one major difference is that I am able to maintain lower speeds in higher gears without any complaints from the engine. Earlier, had to downshift to avoid stalling. I took the usual route to office and definitely felt that I shifted less today.

Thanks Vid for the TSB details, it really helped in getting quickly to the update or else the SA was insisting on a TD again and asking me to replicate the issue inspite of mentioning it in the last 2 services. The update itself took 15-20 mins, but the procedure of creating and closing job cards made sure that I wasted 3 hours at A.S.S.

Cheers!!!
gr8guzzler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 15:42   #475
Team-BHP Support

The "GB" version of the code as per the TSB is for better low end response. The TSB says if the customer complains of excessive vibration below 1500rpm then the software upgrade is needed to "GB" version. After the software upgrade if the problem persists, dealer should contact Ford. It mentions fuel injectors should not be replaced without Ford approval.

I notice the same thing, low rpm driveability has increased compared to earlier. The number of gear shifts has dropped compared to earlier software version on the same driving route I take everyday.
Old 18th November 2011, 22:39   #476
Team-BHP Support

Hi!

My Car is due for its 2nd service. I honestly believe I haven't faced this stalling issue. I tried multiple fuel pumps too and had the opportunity to drive over 400kms today. 200kms in one go without stops with all sort of driving conditions involved. Day/Rain/Night/Traffic/Bad roads/Excellent roads.

Should I ask for this up-grade?

Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 22:49   #477
Senior - BHPian

I am due for 3rd service in 7 months (20K) i have not faced the issue yet and hope not to face it in future.
Old 19th November 2011, 03:11   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Mine stalled again!!! I think i need to check the software version to confirm if they really did the upgrade.

How does it work? If you just show up there and complain that your car had stalled would they go ahead and upgrade it?

Mine stalled months ago, only once, in this manner (all other times it was a case of too high gear for the speed). I never made an official complaint.

Would they entertain a request to upgrade firmware if I make one?
Old 19th November 2011, 14:01   #479
BHPian

I think all cars will be updated when they go for service. But you can go and ask for the specific TSB mentioned in Vid's post and they will oblige. That's how I got it done.

The car feels definitely smoother.
Old 11th December 2011, 09:19   #480
Senior - BHPian

The earlier Figos seem to have come with a GB version and they are upgrading it to a GD version along with a clutch pedal adjustment to change the gap between the clutch switch. These two are supposed to solve the stalling issue. Got it done on my car. Lets see how successful they have been.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks