Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:42   #301
BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Car stalled again today. Clutch pedal is definitely in the picture. Test mode is out. It cannot be a factor. Braking is also in. All these times when I had the stalling issue, I had applied brakes. I checked the clutch pedal and noticed the that under the dashboard the clutch pedal activates a switch of some sort. yet to figure out the role of the switch in the issue or does the switch have any role at all.
Old 3rd August 2011, 02:16   #302
Senior - BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Car stalled again today. Clutch pedal is definitely in the picture. Test mode is out. It cannot be a factor. Braking is also in. All these times when I had the stalling issue, I had applied brakes. I checked the clutch pedal and noticed the that under the dashboard the clutch pedal activates a switch of some sort. yet to figure out the role of the switch in the issue or does the switch have any role at all.
I have a habit (thanks to stop and go traffic in Hyderabad) I apply BOTH clutch and brake together whenever I want to slow down - except at high speeds in high gears.

The car has never stalled ever, in fact when it sounds like it is about to stall I press the clutch.

What you guys are facing is crazy.
Old 3rd August 2011, 06:52   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina

I have a habit (thanks to stop and go traffic in Hyderabad) I apply BOTH clutch and brake together whenever I want to slow down - except at high speeds in high gears.

The car has never stalled ever, in fact when it sounds like it is about to stall I press the clutch.

What you guys are facing is crazy.
Vina what we are facing is utter non sense. The stalling of the engine because the speed is low and you are in the higher hear happens with the recognizable hiccups. This stalling problem that we have mentioned is more like an abrupt stop. feels like somebody has turned off your engine without you knowing it. Mostly it happens during abrupt braking where I use the clutch to shift gears and get more engine braking and not to prevent an engine stall. And here I anticipate engine braking and press on the clutch just to notice that engine is gone.
On a separate note stomping on the clutch pedal every time you brake is ok at low speeds but at higher speeds you would lose out on the much needed engine braking.

Last edited by figo_mba : 3rd August 2011 at 07:08.
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:07   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Vina what we are facing is utter non sense. The stalling of the engine because the speed is low and you are in the higher hear happens with the recognizable hiccups. This stalling problem that we have mentioned is more like an abrupt stop. feels like somebody has turned off your engine without you knowing it. Mostly it happens during abrupt braking where I use the clutch to shift gears and get more engine braking and not to prevent an engine stall. And here I anticipate engine braking and press on the clutch just to notice that engine is gone.
On a separate note stomping on the clutch pedal every time you brake is ok at low speeds but at higher speeds you would lose out on the much needed engine braking.

I comepletely agree with you on this. I have faced this issue just once and it is indeed an abrupt stop. My car has done 17153 kms and I hope I dont face this issue again. And thank god I was not going too fast or I was not on the highway (which is usually my route), when i faced this.

After that day (4k kms), I have been following the 3k RPM thingy and have been pushing my FIGO every now and then.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:01   #305
Senior - BHPian

The first instance of the problem was reported 5 months ago and even today it remains unresolved!
Why isn't there any official response from ford? Lives are at risk here! Maybe its time for all of you to approach the media like the fortuner owner did.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:21   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Yes, I've sent them to the RSM. He Asked me for sometime before he could get back to me. I have sent the mail along with the details of whoever sent me the PM. Will update as soon as I get any reply.
Is a Regional SM the right person to escalate such an issue? I hope he has forwarded the complaint to the right people. Anyhow Anil, do keep us posted on any developments.

Guys, there are quite a few of you facing the same problem. You could send an email/letter direct to Ford, co-signed by all of you, stating that you are all t-bhp members. I am sure Mustang can give you contact for someone inside Ford India who has the authority to act on the problem.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:38   #307
BHPian

Guys...I met one of my friend yesterday who owns a Figo and the same issue was reported by him.

This is what he had to say:
The issue started almost a month back and appears often. Had a big scare once while taking a curve when the engine died instantly during downshift and with not enough power to brakes and steering, the car went right into the middle of the opposite lane. Thankfully it was early morning and there were only a few vehicles on road.

The car was taken to the service centre and was recommended a firmware update. The issue has not appeared since the update.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:39   #308
BHPian

Gents,

This has been happening to me now, on and off for about 3 years. I've tried switching fuel stations, etc. but the problem still persists. It's normally during Brake/turn that this happens. More often than not, it's left turning in my case.

I then thought it would be "user error". ie., me be the culprit behind this phenomenon.

So I removed myself from the equation and swapped cars with her for a few months. Happened again with her as well. Went abroad for a few months so shipped the car back home so my dad could keep an eye on it, and it happened to him.

Now, today.. I'm sitting in the back seat and have a driver driving the car and it happens to him.

Mine is the Fiesta TDCi not a Figo, but not sure if that makes any difference.

I have now decided it's not safe to give this car to my wife and have the little man in the car seat in the back, so she's back to her car.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:42   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post

The car was taken to the service centre and was recommended a firmware update. The issue has not appeared since the update.
Firmware update? Are you sure? Could you get us more details? Because as of what I know ( I am in regular touch with Ford guys for this) there is no solution to this yet!
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:59   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Firmware update? Are you sure? Could you get us more details? Because as of what I know ( I am in regular touch with Ford guys for this) there is no solution to this yet!
Yes. As per the information given to me by my friend it's firmware update. He approached the service centre here at Trivandrum and was told that there was another Figo with the same issue. The firmware update was done on that car and the issue has not popped up since.

The same was done for his car and the issue seems resolved as of now.

I would recommend you to discuss this solution with your service engineer.
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:04   #311
BANNED

I had told you guys about the same case being rectified in the UK through a PCM firmware update. Unfortunately that's all I know and its up to the service center guys to do the rest.

I say, even if they deny the upgrade, tell them to re install the firmware on the PCM. And specifically check that the firmware is for figo tdci.
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:07   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
Yes. As per the information given to me by my friend it's firmware update. He approached the service centre here at Trivandrum and was told that there was another Figo with the same issue. The firmware update was done on that car and the issue has not popped up since.

The same was done for his car and the issue seems resolved as of now.

I would recommend you to discuss this solution with your service engineer.
Hi Sandeep,

I guess the "another Figo" that your friend mentioned, in all probablity would be mine. But for my car there was no firmware upgrade done, rather 2 out of the 4 injectors were replaced and the car hasn't stalled yet. Not sure if there was some other car that went in with the same issue. Could you ask him how many kms has he clocked after the firmware upgrade and without stalling? Mine has done 3K kms after the injector replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I had told you guys about the same case being rectified in the UK through a PCM firmware update. Unfortunately that's all I know and its up to the service center guys to do the rest.

I say, even if they deny the upgrade, tell them to re install the firmware on the PCM. And specifically check that the firmware is for figo tdci.
Hi Mustang,
Has there been an upgrade in the ECU map of the Figo?

Last edited by jayded : 3rd August 2011 at 19:10.
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:22   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Hi Sandeep,

I guess the "another Figo" that your friend mentioned, in all probablity would be mine. But for my car there was no firmware upgrade done, rather 2 out of the 4 injectors were replaced and the car hasn't stalled yet. Not sure if there was some other car that went in with the same issue. Could you ask him how many kms has he clocked after the firmware upgrade and without stalling? Mine has done 3K kms after the injector replacements.
Let me get the details mentioned above from him. I will update it here then.
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:24   #314
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded

Hi Mustang,
Has there been an upgrade in the ECU map of the Figo?
I have no information regarding this. Sorry.
Old 4th August 2011, 00:00   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Could you ask him how many kms has he clocked after the firmware upgrade and without stalling? Mine has done 3K kms after the injector replacements.
Are you sure they had replaced the injectors?

Maybe they did only the firmware upgrade & charged you? I am not sure about how truthful Kairali Ford is. I have heard some bad comments about them earlier (Ikon heydays). But we have no other option. isn't it?

@Mustang
My Figo does not have such issues. Is it advisable to upgrade the firmware? i.e. if my SC admits such a thing exists...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks