Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2011, 00:03   #1
BHPian

White smoke from engine oil dipstick

Hey guys

I was checking out a friend's Skoda Laura L&K AT. There was a white smoke coming out from engine oil gauge while the car was in ignition on and when we tried to give a little throttle in standstill position the smoke increased. What does this mean? Is it usual with Skoda Laura diesel?

Thanks
Old 16th January 2011, 00:12   #2
BHPian

Re: White smoke from engine oil gauge

By engine oil gauge you mean to say the engine oil dip stick which used to measure the quantity of engine oil ?

how old is your firends laura? how many kms done on it?
smoke comming from dip stick hole can be due to worn out piston rings which are letting the oil burn while combustion inside the cylinder.
Old 16th January 2011, 06:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
By engine oil gauge you mean to say the engine oil dip stick which used to measure the quantity of engine oil ?

how old is your firends laura? how many kms done on it?
smoke comming from dip stick hole can be due to worn out piston rings which are letting the oil burn while combustion inside the cylinder.
Yes i mean the dip stick only. Its a 2007 model Laura L&K AT, done around 47000kms.
How can we check the condition of the engine?
Old 16th January 2011, 07:40   #4
v&v
Senior - BHPian

@ ricky_1605 buy your description the issue due to worn ring/piston. Check with your friend how much oil it is consuming ? Get it check asap as 47k is very low milage for Diesel engine to worn out.
Old 16th January 2011, 09:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
@ ricky_1605 buy your description the issue due to worn ring/piston. Check with your friend how much oil it is consuming ? Get it check asap as 47k is very low milage for Diesel engine to worn out.
We checked another Laura, there was no smoke but very litte white vapours initially and then nothing. The guy said these little vapours are there in a brand new car also. Please tell me how can i check the condition of engine as i am thinking of buying a used Laura?
Old 16th January 2011, 10:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Check the crankcase ventillation for clogging first. Very very minor occasional vapour is normal when engine is hot, as it could be oil vapour; but mind you very negligible escape.

If this is cleared then the vapour leaking through the dipstick tube is definitely compressed charge, a combunation of fuel and air mixture plus products of combustion (combined compresion and power stroke products) escaping through the piston rings. Minimal replacement needed would be the piston rings which can extend to piston change also. And once the engine is opened many other parts like big and small end bearings etc may also need replacement.

Btb ask your friend about the authenticity of the odo reading. If OK, reason, perhaps could be attributable to some excessive over heating happened previously.

Think, assess properly before you buy this particular one.

Last edited by rajeev k : 16th January 2011 at 10:14. Reason: corrections
Old 16th January 2011, 11:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

I'd bet on it being the bearings. If there was white smoke through the exhaust, then it could be blown rings, ringlands or leaky valve stem seals.
Old 16th January 2011, 11:28   #8
BHPian

Dont Worry....!

You will find same in even a new VW Group car also.

Its normal as long as car is not reporting oil consumption in excess of 500ml/ 1000km.

So be at ease & enjoy the ride.

Remember to top up oil before any long drive.
007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2011, 18:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
There was a white smoke coming out from engine oil gauge while the car was in ignition on and when we tried to give a little throttle in standstill position the smoke increased. What does this mean? Is it usual with Skoda Laura diesel?

Thanks
It's called compression blow-by, and will require a change of piston rings, as well as new cylinder liners if needed, to sort out the issue.
Old 16th January 2011, 22:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Dont Worry....!

You will find same in even a new VW Group car also.

Its normal as long as car is not reporting oil consumption in excess of 500ml/ 1000km.
So be at ease & enjoy the ride.
Remember to top up oil before any long drive.
500 ml per 1000 km is definitely excessive oil consumption. In this case it is more than the full fill quantity, between drain and refill intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
I'd bet on it being the bearings. If there was white smoke through the exhaust, then it could be blown rings, ringlands or leaky valve stem seals.
Never. Faulty bearings and worn out valve stem seals can not be the cause. But blown piston rings can be.

Last edited by rajeev k : 16th January 2011 at 22:35.
Old 19th February 2017, 23:06   #11
BHPian

Re: White smoke from engine oil dipstick

I have got a 5 year old Skoda Superb. I have bought it as a pre-worshiped car and have put 5k kms in it so far. Recently have noticed that there are white smoke coming out of the oil dipstick and the oil sump. I checked with the service center and they say its normal, but I am kinda worried. There are no warnings on the MFD.
Can it be a spoiled*valve?
Can it be the engine gasket?
Can it be the piston rings?
Can it be the injectors?

Car details:

2.0 TDI CR AT
77k KMS
No work on the engine so far
No loss in pickup or mileage
Have not seen any considerable oil loss yet

Any advice would be helpful. I am on the paranoid mode right now.

Attaching videos below,

razorBlades is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 23:30   #12
BHPian

Was not able to watch the videos but white smoke almost always means coolant has entered the combustion chambers. Did not understand what you meant by smoke coming out of the sump; what about the colour of emissions from the tailpipe, do examine that.

I hope I am wrong but despite what the SVC says, do get a second opinion.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 00:32   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
I have got a 5 year old Skoda Superb. I have bought it as a pre-worshiped car and have put 5k kms in it so far. Recently have noticed that there are white smoke coming out of the oil dipstick
Can you check the engine oil levels? I hope the piston rings aren't worn off.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 00:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I have got a 5 year old Skoda Superb. I have bought it as a pre-worshiped car and have put 5k kms in it so far. Recently have noticed that there are white smoke coming out of the oil dipstick and the oil sump. I checked with the service center and they say its normal, but I am kinda worried. There are no warnings on the MFD.

Car details:

2.0 TDI CR AT
77k KMS
No work on the engine so far
No loss in pickup or mileage
Have not seen any considerable oil loss yet

It is perfectly normal, don't worry.
I hope you have changed the engine oil and carried out a basic service after acquiring the car.
Old 26th February 2017, 19:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I have tried the same on my i20 CRDi which is about 3.5 years and 40000km old now. Opening the oil filler cap when engine is running at operating temperature shows a puff of grey white vapor which lasts 2 or 3 seconds and then stops. Looks like some stagnant gas being pushed out.

If I close the cap and open it again, the same thing happens. But the dipstick is perfectly clean. No vapor or oil or anything coming out of it. I even used a torch with a white light to look into the dipstick channel but no sign of any vapor.

Vapor pouring out continuously from oil filler cap and dipstick could mean excessive blowby due to worn out piston rings. But again the acceptable amount of blowby could vary between different manufacturers though the principle remains same.

Last edited by alphahere : 26th February 2017 at 19:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks