Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 11:24   #106
Senior - BHPian

I just had a look at the terms of the '5 year warranty' on the underbody treatment provided by 3M.
http://www.customercare.tatamotors.c...rrantyCard.pdf

1 . The customer has to get the car treated every 6 months during the 5 year period
2. It becomes invalid if there is an accident
3. If the underbody is scraped, the warranty is invalid unless the coating is repaired at the owners cost

Aside: i was told by my TASC that the underbody treatment is a one time thing, and does not need to be done afterwards, despite my insistense to them to do it every 6 months

....And now the best part...

5. The warranty is limited to reapplication of the coating itself,
and not due to any corrosion/Rust damage.

Now I dont see any reason why I should believe that this treatment will protect my car, if the vendor doing this itself has no faith that it will protect the car.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2009, 13:15   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I just had a look at the terms of the '5 year warranty' on the underbody treatment provided by 3M.
http://www.customercare.tatamotors.c...rrantyCard.pdf

1 . The customer has to get the car treated every 6 months during the 5 year period
2. It becomes invalid if there is an accident
3. If the underbody is scraped, the warranty is invalid unless the coating is repaired at the owners cost

Aside: i was told by my TASC that the underbody treatment is a one time thing, and does not need to be done afterwards, despite my insistense to them to do it every 6 months

....And now the best part...

5. The warranty is limited to reapplication of the coating itself,
and not due to any corrosion/Rust damage.

Now I dont see any reason why I should believe that this treatment will protect my car, if the vendor doing this itself has no faith that it will protect the car.
Greenie,

There is no product which can ensure x-millage assurance or your money back. Most of our cars come from the factory itself with such a coating, but its always advisable to get it done once in 6 months because of the abuse the underbody takes. The problem is if the Dealer (who gets commission per car from 3M) tell you that you have to get this done every 6 months, he will loose a major chunk of his commission.

Let me give you an example. Once i was having a drink with my friend who owns that accessory shop you have been to, his friendly freelance sunfilim guy appears out of nowhere, they were settling some accounts and the end result was, for every car my friend reffers to this guy my friend gets 100 Rs even if its a maruti 800, whose filim costs arround 600. Just imagine the dealers commision in case of an anti rust coating.

Pramod
Old 29th October 2009, 15:14   #108
Senior - BHPian

Modern cars have had adequate anti-rust treatment at the factory. Unless you are parking your car right on the beach I will not worry. If I have to then I will go for quality stuff like Dinitrol. As for Teflon it is supposed to protect the paint - how much I am a sceptic.

Look around, you will find quite a few thread discussing these aspects.
Old 29th October 2009, 17:40   #109
Senior - BHPian

Anyone can actually sit and tabulate HOW underbody coats help?? And how they CAN be detrimental to the car (in any way, if possible?)
And why is it, that no manufacturers coat the underbodies of the cars they produce, from day one itself?
Old 29th October 2009, 17:46   #110
Senior - BHPian

There are so many competent guys to do it now at very competitive rates.

I sometimes wonder why this huge price difference for the same treatment. Hopefully 3m should be good.
Old 29th October 2009, 17:58   #111
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ating-car.html

Mods please merge the thread.
Old 29th October 2009, 19:09   #112
BHPian

I own a Indigo and I had the same thoughts(underbody paint). But then, the guy who was servicing the vehicle showed me that the underbody already had a synthetic coating which according to the service guy was 3mm thick! SO really, any other job was a waste of money!

Me thinks that if a Indigo has such a treatment, probably the other cars do too!!
Old 29th October 2009, 19:09   #113
Senior - BHPian

I was posting this because someone had an indica underbody have rust damage after getting a dinitrol underbody coating done, and the TASC was washing their hands off the issue, and the terms of the coating itself were very restrictive, so we were wondering what the point of the whole thing was.

Anyway, the dinitrol sales and marketing head showed up and seems to be taking care of things. Hope this ends well
Yahoo! Groups
Old 29th October 2009, 19:09   #114
Senior - BHPian

and this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...treatment.html

@ neel - check out tata's take on this
Tata Motors Customer Care :: Anti-rust Treatments
Old 29th October 2009, 20:22   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
@ neel - check out tata's take on this
Tata Motors Customer Care :: Anti-rust Treatments
And the car Tata has used for the illustrations is a Mahindra/Renault Logan.
Old 29th October 2009, 20:32   #116
Senior - BHPian

Oe!

A lot of cars come with underbody treatment. I know that Fiats and Skodas come with it from the factory.

An after market treatment may interfere with (read remove or destroy the OE treatment). So please read your catalogue and owners manual, particularly the sections relating to 'perforation/corrosion warranty' before doing any underbody treatment.

Cheers,
Old 29th October 2009, 20:38   #117
BHPian

I would suggest to go for it. It protects the underbody from the stone chipping and underbody scrapings. With a 5 year warranty and touch-up every six months, its a good option to have. Just imagine the stuff that gets thrown at your underbody at high speeds. Got mine for 2400 with a 5 year 3M warranty. Shop around, maybe check with a tata dealer (concorde diary circle), they charge much less.
Old 29th October 2009, 22:08   #118
BHPian

honda has this 3m product of underbody chassis coating which is honda approved that is why it is for 4500/= it is nothing but to make a person more confused.
go for the one which is cheap with 3-4 years warranty, ie. free touch ups . and you are set.
i stay in mumbai and i think it is a must as the climate is very salty which corrodes metal faster.
i got it done for 1800/= its a bardhal product , transparent coating with 4 years warranty . if you need the contact let me know
Old 30th October 2009, 09:37   #119
Senior - BHPian

@greenhorn: I agree in Indian conditions where dents and nicks are the order of the day, keeping up with the terms and conditions is virtually impossible. n fact it is not a breeze even in Europe. What I was essentially stating that got for a branded treatment, with a well defined and standardised protocol. The local fellows will probably do damage, rather than any good
Old 31st October 2009, 20:10   #120
BHPian

Urja Sealants and Chemicals, Pune ( mob.No:09881141568) sent me 1500ml of PVC based car underbody coatings. They sent me the product first and informed me to pay for it later. (Rs.750-00 for 1500ml including courier charges !) After thorough cleaning with diesel initially, whole Wagon R underbody was washed with soap water. Next day I took the car to my friend's garage and Urja coat was applied with special gun.( He used to apply Wruth underbody coating to his customers) He appreciated Urja coat very much. I noticed considerable road noice reduction in my Wagon R. I personally feel that Urja coat is far better than wruth, which was applied to my Maruthi Omni.Two years back I paid Rs. 3800/- for Wruth. For my wagon R it was Rs750-00 + Rs.350-00 (washing) and Rs.900/- (for application) i.e.,a total of Rs.2000/- spent on Urja coat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks