Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2018, 13:03   #331
BHPian

Underbody coating for a 9 year old i10

Can any of Bhpians tell me whether it worth doing the undercoating for a 9 year old car?

Except for the rear under chassis and near the front lower arms where there is some surface rust, the rest of the under chassis is quite clean.

The Trident Hyundai guys are pushing this to me at Rs.2500/- plus 18% GST.

I have heard the undercoating sometimes results in already existing rust being hidden and other problems created by not applying the coating properly (as is done by many of the rustproofing guys)?

Also I have a 1 year old Elite i20 - would it make sense getting it also done for this vehicle?

If any of you guys have a reliable rustproofing shop (using established compounds such as 3M), any info would help.

Mods - if a similar thread existing elsewhere, please feel free to move accordingly.

Last edited by motorguy : 19th June 2018 at 13:05.
Old 19th June 2018, 14:47   #332
BHPian

Re: Underbody coating for a 9 year old i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
Can any of Bhpians tell me whether it worth doing the undercoating for a 9 year old car?
Yes anti-rust coating is recommended during the initial days of purchasing the car itself. Considering its 9 years old and I believe you want to continue with it, please get it done at the soonest. Please ask the service provider for complete removal of existing rust before the coating and be present to supervise the same. You can get it done better at 3M car care.
Wanderers is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 18:31   #333
BHPian

Re: Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car

Any idea what would be the approximate cost for getting 3M bodyschutz Gold/Plus on Amaze? Does the gold variant also come with noise insulation capability? I'm planning to get the treatment done in a couple of weeks over the weekend.
Old 29th July 2018, 23:52   #334
BHPian

Hello All

I am picking up the wagonR amt version in a few days. Customery to the past ,I take all my cars for under chasis coating , exhaust coat and ppf on the bumper areas. Over the years the prices have gone up at 3m . Also with the 18% GsT it amounts to a substantial figure. Please advice if these 3 treatments are necessary. There is a continuous discussion about new cars which already come with aniti rust treatment from the factory. One more thing , does the under chasis treatment reduce road noise while driving ,thanks in advance
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:55   #335
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
Hello All

I am picking up the wagonR amt version in a few days. Customery to the past ,I take all my cars for under chasis coating , exhaust coat and ppf on the bumper areas. Over the years the prices have gone up at 3m . Also with the 18% GsT it amounts to a substantial figure. Please advice if these 3 treatments are necessary. There is a continuous discussion about new cars which already come with aniti rust treatment from the factory. One more thing , does the under chasis treatment reduce road noise while driving ,thanks in advance
its not at all necessary for WagonR. Just forget it.
Old 5th October 2018, 17:20   #336
Senior - BHPian

I have been given a quote by Nandi Toyota for my Fortuner (They claim they are partnership with 3M) 4500+GST for 3M under body schutz Plus.

Does this sound right?

One thing i fail to understand is i never got this done in Civic, and after 8 years of ownership i dont see any problems in underbody. Does this thing really helps in anyway?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 5th October 2018 at 17:25.
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:53   #337
BHPian

What is a good place to get underbody treatment done for a grand i10 at Kochi/ ernakulam
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:29   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinide View Post
I'm also going for the 3M Body Schutz with gold gun (5 years warranty with noise isolation capabilities) for my yet to be delivered XUV. My rationale was that this is only 1.5 - 2k more than what has been quoted by other 3rd parties and has a 5 year warranty as opposed to the 2 yr warranty. I am also curious about the noise isolation claimed by this coating which will be particularly interesting for the XUV.
Have you tried this?Please share the results and observations in terms of sound deadening.I am considering this option for my IGNIS petrol due to Tyre/road noise.
Thank you!
Old 25th November 2018, 12:26   #339
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
What is a good place to get underbody treatment done for a grand i10 at Kochi/ ernakulam
No need. The Grand i10 in our family is running without any under-body coating for the last 4 years.
Old 27th November 2018, 07:45   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
I would suggest DBS (near Lulu) or 3M (near Gold Souk). Think DBS charges 3k for the 3 years package and 5k for 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
No need. The Grand i10 in our family is running without any under-body coating for the last 4 years.
On the A, B, C segment cars, without a full wheel well cladding or thin carpets, anti-rust coating helps with sound deadening and hence more comfort inside than anything else.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 16:28   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebin View Post
Have you tried this?Please share the results and observations in terms of sound deadening.I am considering this option for my IGNIS petrol due to Tyre/road noise.
Thank you!
Yes, I got this done not long after I posted here. There is a slight reduction in the tyre/road noise, it particularly apparent over cobbled and concrete roads which tend to be noisy.

Hope this helps!
psinide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 10:49   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinide View Post
Yes, I got this done not long after I posted here. There is a slight reduction in the tyre/road noise, it particularly apparent over cobbled and concrete roads which tend to be noisy.

Hope this helps!
Thank you!I have done under body coating from 3M.There is a slight reduction in tyre noise and i feel one more coating might help to bring it to acceptable levels.3M is pushing for acoustics package but i feel that wont help with tyre noise as such.
Old 11th December 2018, 23:42   #343
BHPian

I have done the 5yr warranty underbody coating from 3M, and i don't feel any perceptible sound reduction unless maybe if i imagine how much i spent on it Anyways i had pathetic experience with 3M, as mentioned in my post here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other...ml#post4402886 (Professional Car Detailing - 3M Car Care (Pune))
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 14:26   #344
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
On the A, B, C segment cars, without a full wheel well cladding or thin carpets, anti-rust coating helps with sound deadening and hence more comfort inside than anything else.

From my personal experience, I never had a noticeable difference just a placebo effect in the case of road noise
Old 21st June 2019, 09:27   #345

Hello everyone,

I am about to get a new Ford Figo. As a part of the deal, the dealer has promised to get the car teflon and anti rust coating. Is it absolutely necessary for a new car in a dry state like Delhi?

I feel if it can be avoided then I can probably get them to throw in a tracker instead.

Since this is my first buy, I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks

Most Viewed