Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2009, 08:45   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
I got the 3M under body treatment (5yr warranty) on my Aveo for 4000 including taxes.
I think it does some road noise reduction as well.
Hi Black Panther,
Can you please confirm the following two, as I got one done on my Aveo as well.
1. Did they put the underbody coat under the wheel tops ?
In my case they left out this part, so am taking it back to them.

2. If you got it done recently did they give you a free engine lacquering ?
3M is running an offer where with the underbody treatment you get a free engine lacquering coat which is worth around 1.x k also.

In my case they did not do that, then I showed them the 3M offer Ad, and they agreed to do it in the next visit for free.

-Fillmore
Old 16th November 2009, 11:27   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Hi Black Panther,

3M is running an offer where with the underbody treatment you get a free engine lacquering coat which is worth around 1.x k also.

In my case they did not do that, then I showed them the 3M offer Ad, and they agreed to do it in the next visit for free.

-Fillmore
I have a 2006 corolla AT.
Last time when i gave it for service at 50,000 kms the toyota people said that i have to get the underbody treatment to prevent the parts from corroding.
They said it will cost me 6000 rs .Is it really worth it?
Should i do it next time i give it for service?

Cheers
Old 17th November 2009, 17:38   #138
BHPian

does the swift/Ritz need underchassis painting?

having just completed a few months of ownership of both the cars, i was surprised to hear from a salesguy that i should do underchassis painting for my cars, as the rains have started.
even at the time of initial purchase negotiations i have noticed that there is a rubber-like coating on the undercarriage which i assumed is the rust prevention/protection coating done at the manufacturer level and which is quite thick as well.
is there a real necessity to add on a layer of rust proofing paint(i think, metachem)or is the salesman's advice just a gimmick to squeeze out extra money out of me or. knowing the con tactics of after-sales salesmen, i think it is the latter(squeeze out more money out of me!).
but how many car owners really know about this? i wonder...
Old 17th November 2009, 20:24   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post

Cheers
Get it done outside at a 3M dealer for it would work lesser and you get to see what is being done to your car. Balaji Agencies is the distributor for 3M in Chennai and have their workshop at Teynampet (opp SIET college).
Old 17th November 2009, 21:12   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
I have a 2006 corolla AT.
Last time when i gave it for service at 50,000 kms the toyota people said that i have to get the underbody treatment to prevent the parts from corroding.

Cheers
The aim of the the underbody coat is to prevent seepage of moisture into places like joints as the whole underbody is not of one sheet. Some places are hard to clean also and dust does not dry up fast. This also prevents damages from (small) stones, and reduces sound. Only take care that already rusted parts if any are sanded, painted and then coated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Hi Black Panther,

-Fillmore
Where was this ad please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Both Teflon coating and underboady treatment are not mandatory as Bangalore is not as corrosive as Chennai or Mumbai for underboady treatment. Teflon coating is totally a con job of the authoised Service center. Not required at all. All maruti cars come with clear coat paint which is similar to teflon coating.
Corrosion happens everywhere and seaside atmosphere only increases the rate of corrosion.
Old 30th December 2009, 19:45   #141
Senior - BHPian

Guys, recommendations please on places where I can get an underbody coating in Bangalore ?
Old 11th January 2010, 19:41   #142
BHPian

I got my I10 Sportz's first service completed 2 days back at Advaith, Bangalore. After hearing about the anti-rust coating from the service person, I asked him to do it, keeping in mind the horrible experiences I had with my old zen with all the rust formation and numerous weldings & patch up work.

He quoted Rs 1500 for the same and told that there will be a 5 Yr warranty only at Advaith, through out India. Now I didnt understand what he meant by only Advaith. I enquired about the anti-rust coating manufacturer and he told me its from Wurth anti-rust.

How good is this Wurth anti-rust quoting? I dont have another option now, since I already had my car painted with it, but want to ensure that its a better product.
Old 11th January 2010, 21:41   #143
Senior - BHPian

Remember when you have these underbody seals sprayed to ensure no drainage channels get clogged with the sealant/spray.
Old 12th January 2010, 01:26   #144
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Drainage channels? Kindly elaborate...?
Old 13th January 2010, 17:52   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
What he may have meant is the small holes that are meant for water draining(from inside).
Old 13th January 2010, 20:08   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most cars have drainage channels (e.g. from near the plenum chamber in front of the windscreen where the battery and brake servo may be) if some idiot sprays the bottom of your car with a rust proofing compound they may plug these holes. The water will not drain off and you will end up with a flooded plenum chamber which in turn may result in critical parts of your car (ECU etc) standing in water. Of cause if the person is not an idiot they will mask off these drianage holes, apply the compound, remove the masking and check all is ok.

A good way to check this is to get someone to pour water in front of the windscreen and another person to check underneat to see that water is draining at the bottom of the car (usually either side of the gearbox but depends on your car).

Last edited by bigman : 13th January 2010 at 20:11.
Old 14th January 2010, 17:30   #147
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Interesting. Now I wonder if the guy who did the 3M underbody coating on my Esteem took care of this. Will have to check for drainage outlets next time my car is on a ramp...

By "in front of the windscreen", do ou mean the black grill that is just below the point where to wiper arms connect?
Old 14th January 2010, 18:14   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^ Interesting. Now I wonder if the guy who did the 3M underbody coating on my Esteem took care of this. Will have to check for drainage outlets next time my car is on a ramp...

By "in front of the windscreen", do ou mean the black grill that is just below the point where to wiper arms connect?
Yes thats the area. No need to put it on a ramp to check, get a bucket of water and pour it over this area, then look under the car to see if water is draining out. If it is then your drainage is OK.
Old 14th January 2010, 20:10   #149
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thanks, will certainly check as soon as I can.

But if it is indeed clogged, won't water that will collect there dude to car washing/wiper fluid/rain collect in that area? If it did, I would have noticed...
Old 15th January 2010, 21:29   #150
BHPian

Underbody coating is very very useful for its acoustic insulation. hitting noise by the stones/sands will get greatly reduced.

However if you are going to keep the car for 3-5 years this additional spent is not worth. All will talk regarding the Car Model value

Anyway the underbody coating doesn't cover the the Exhaust system, (silencer to the exhaust tail)

I have applied it for my cars for sound proofing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks