Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2020, 22:37   #76
BHPian

Re: VW Polo Battery Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxsend View Post
Any pointers on what the issue might be ?
Thanks in advance
It could be anything as simple as a boot light or some electrical component consuming battery even when the car is switched off to a faulty alternator not able to re-charge the battery adequately when the vehicle is running.

Quoting an old post by sgiitk which might be helpful to diagnose the issue.
Quote:
I would try the laborious route.Put an ammeter on the battery circuit (remove the negative lead and put the ammeter in series). Note the current drain. It has to be non-zero for your problem. Then remove all fuses. The current drain should be near zero as only the starter and alternator are in circuit. The replace the fuses one at a time till you find the culprit.
Also, have a go through this thread, link-https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ained-out.html.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 07:43   #77
BHPian

Re: VW Polo Battery Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo_GotBhp View Post
It could be anything as simple as a boot light or some electrical component consuming battery even when the car is switched off to a faulty alternator not able to re-charge the battery adequately when the vehicle is running.

Quoting an old post by sgiitk which might be helpful to diagnose the issue.

Also, have a go through this thread, link-https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ained-out.html.
Thanks for the link. Have forwarded the same to the Polo owner for him to read up on.
For now they've attributed the issue down to the factory fitted Music system and they've disabled the same. They've asked him to use the car without the music system and see if the issues crops up again. The VW gaarge took about 3 days to diagnose this .
Old 6th September 2021, 09:44   #78
BHPian

Hyundai Eon Battery Discharge Issue

Been facing an issue over the last few months with our Hyundai Eon 2013 Mangna Plus. When one tries to start the car in the morning, the battery seems to have discharged. The Battery is fairly new and got it checked out at the spot where it was bought and looks like all its parameters are good. The local mechanic gave it a once over too and looks like the alternator seems ok too.

They finally zeroed it down to the Music system that’s come factory installed in the car. When they dis-connect the Audio system, the battery survives the night and there’s no discharge issues. That apart, the Music system seems to be working fine too.

Not sure why this discharge is happening only when the Music system is connected & the it happens typically when the car is idle for say a say a 12-15 hour period. The Mechanic was suggesting he’d rig up a separate ON/OFF switch for the music system, which we can use to turn it off & on only when we're using it I gather.

Is this a good idea ?
Old 6th September 2021, 09:52   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon Battery Discharge Issue

Quote:
The Mechanic was suggesting he’d rig up a separate ON/OFF switch for the music system, which we can use to turn it off & on only when we're using it I gather.

Is this a good idea ?
Forgetting to switch off this switch will put you in similar situation again.
Either get the HU checked for excess dark current consumption or disconnect the BAT+ input and tap with Accy+ or IGN+
Doing so, memory function in HU (Clock, Radio station, Audio setting, previous track memory, etc) will be lost.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 6th September 2021 at 09:54.
Old 6th September 2021, 09:59   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Forgetting to switch off this switch will put you in similar situation again.
Either get the HU checked for excess dark current consumption or disconnect the BAT+ input and tap with Accy+ or IGN+
Doing so, memory function in HU (Clock, Radio station, Audio setting, previous track memory, etc) will be lost.
That is true. Didn't realize that actually.

I understood the first bit, didn't quite get the "tap with Accy+ or IGN+" ?

In past when the Music system has hung (due to a faulty pen drive), I've disconnected one of the battery terminals and like you've written the Memory function resets and the system works ok after that.

Would an auto electrician or a Car Audio system spot be the place to check for the"excess dark current consumption" ?
Old 6th September 2021, 10:48   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I understood the first bit, didn't quite get the "tap with Accy+ or IGN+" ?
In general HU gets 2 +ve supplies
BAT+ : Direct supply from Battery (through fuse box), for memory function and to drive the HU when accy+ signal is received
Accy+ : Triger or signal to wake up the HU once the key is turned to Accy mode

Any malfunction in the circuit related to BAT+ will drain the battery when they key is in OFF mode. Removing the BAT+ input and sharing the Accy+ or IGN+ will eliminate this parasitic power (or dark current) consumption when the vehicle is in OFF mode.

Quote:
In past when the Music system has hung (due to a faulty pen drive), I've disconnected one of the battery terminals and like you've written the Memory function resets and the system works ok after that.
Are you facing the battery drain issue after this wiring modification?
After removing the battery terminal (or connection) HU is not supposed to work unless any other +ve supply is give, can you elaborate on the modifications done?

Quote:
Would an auto electrician or a Car Audio system spot be the place to check for the "excess dark current consumption" ?
Yes, anyone who can use a multimeter should be able to do it.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 11:20   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post

Are you facing the battery drain issue after this wiring modification?
After removing the battery terminal (or connection) HU is not supposed to work unless any other +ve supply is give, can you elaborate on the modifications done?

Actually there's been no wiring modification. In the past the Standard issue audio system has hung at times. I thought it's possibly due to a faulty pen drive that i was using. So basically when i'd turn the ignition off, the music system would still be on (power wise it's on, but no track would be playing and just like it's stuck or hung). So when this has happened, i've disconnected one of the battery terminals, then the system goes dead and i re-connnect the battery terminal and have changed the pen drive and it's worked fine.

It's only off late has this overnight discharge issue cropped up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks