Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2010, 18:52   #1
BHPian

Skoda VRS steering play

Guys,
My VRs has developed a distinct play in the steering, which is very evident if going slowly on a rough surface .Even at stand still if the steering is moved I can feel the slight play.Got it checked with the skoda service station and was told complete rack replacement 46,000.
Any inputs as to how to tackle this problem will be appreciated. IS there a cheaper option. The Skoda technician told me that the column does not have a bush which can be replaced and the complete unit has to be replaced.
There is a slight wobble on the steering between speeds of 120-150 which strangely goes off above that speed, got alignment and balancing done but no joy..
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

How old is your vRS? How many km's done?

When you turn it to extreme right or left (say for U turn) and then leave it, does it come back to center position as eagerly as before?
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

How many kms the car has run and how old are the tyres?

For steering play, get the tie end and lower arm checked. Worn tie ends will result in more play. Mostly that should fix the wobble also, if the tyres are relatively new and rims are not bent or something.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:11   #4
v&v
Senior - BHPian

A rack play will not induce wobble. You will hear a thud or khat sound on bad roads.
Check the tie rods at an FNG or Bosch Service center. Also try swapping tires too.
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:48   #5
BHPian

My car has done 60,000 kms, the tyres are 6000 kms and in good condition..I dont burn too much rubber though since it is a 240 bhp done by Peter has got all the mods in so tyres do get a beating.
The lower arm and tie ends were checked at the skoda service. The sound I get is a thud while driving over rough roads at slow speeds.
Probably the wobble is not connected to the steering play??
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

Ok thud sound over rough roads seems more like a suspension issue. How did these guys check the tie and arms? Unless one removes and checks the play its very difficult. Thud sound can be even due to a worn out bush in the suspension.

Have you tried swapping the wheels and see if the wobble is sorted? Also do check if the rims are in good shape, no bents etc.
Old 23rd November 2010, 04:00   #7
BHPian

The lower arms and tie ends were all taken apart, one suspected tie end was changed but did not help. I was willing to go in for that as the estimate for the steering rack change 46,000 is really high. The steering damper was tightened a turn to see if the play reduces but did not help. I was there when all this was done as that is basically the main reason that I go to JMD as they let me in the workshop when they are working on my car.
The thud that I am getting when on rough roads at slow speeds is coming distinctly from the steering column and I can feel the play in the steering even at stand still when I turn the steering either ways a little.
The suspension bushed were checked, more or less what ever we could think of was looked into.
I could swap wheels and see for the wobble, the rims are all original VRS and in good shape..no impact damage or anything. The tyres are in good shape, Michelin 225 PP2s.
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:01   #8
BHPian

On BRISKODA, someone reported a "cure" for this problem by changing the front suspension top mount bearings. Check and try....cheaper than steering column.
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

steering play has nothing to do with suspension bearings. If its hard then bearing is suspected.

If its couple of degrees, you can live it with without causing any problems to you or the car. Its just that you have to compensate for it while parking at extreme places and tight places. etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks