Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2010, 23:46   #1
BHPian

Lots of paint scratches ! what options

Hi Guys,

My first car (pre-owned) has incurred few deep scratches during parking.
Please see the attached pic

Model: Hyundai Santro Xing XO - LE
Color: Dynasty Red

What would you advise me
1. Get a factory paint job done. Would it be wise to take up insurance in this case. I have no idea on the cost for this job
2. Considering me and brother are rookies at driving, would it be better to hold re-paint as these things may happen as part of the learning curve ( touchwood it doesnt)
3. Do a touch-up done through a local guy, with matching paint, to delay the complete re-paint for now

appreciate any help in this regard. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Lots of paint scratches ! what options-p1000680q.jpg  

Old 14th October 2010, 07:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

@Spectre - For pricing, you need to talk to Hyundai, however, I can provide you few tips so as to remain aware about the job.

When the scratches are removed, ensure that the paint job is done on the entire door & not as patch work; the local guy charges you less because he does the patch work while H.A.S.S charge you more because they do it completely on the door. On the bumpers, its even more expensive because the paint does not stick on plastic for which they use a 3M glue which is way too expensive.

However, if the local workshop guarantees you the same quality of H.A.S.S, then you may want to try at your discreetion.

Initially you may want to try with any car detailing guys & see how far the scratches can be removed & probably for the rest you can approach the H.A.S.S guys. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...m-chennai.html
Old 14th October 2010, 07:54   #3
BHPian

@Spectre, the scratches seem to be deep. I would suggest you to get the painting done at H.A.S.S which would be the best option if money isnt the constraint.

A detailing job would cost you close to 3-4k which I am sure would'nt help the cause. Just a question: "Is Dynasty Red metallic paint?". Anyways it looks like a solid paint to me, hence you can get Compaint spay cans and get your local car paint booth to fix this.
Old 14th October 2010, 09:35   #4
BHPian

Spectre - The scratches look to be too deep to remove with a detailing job. The only option out is a repaint of the entire panel.

You have following options :

- Repaint entire panel at the A.s.s or local paint shop. Depends also on your comfort level & your choice of place. Color matching & even finish would be the key here.

- Spot painting also possible. But easily identifiable since its a dark color. You will not get a uniform finish though.

- You can show the vehicle to your A.s.s & inquire about the insurance. They will be the best to advice you. I guess you can make a claim for it. My estimate for the entire door would be around 4 ~ 5 K. (This is based on my experience with Maruti A.s.s & similar damage)
Old 14th October 2010, 09:49   #5
BHPian

My recommendation is hiding the fine scratches by rubbing and polishing and then if the scratches don't bother much then keep driving it like that without any paint job till you and your bro are confident in driving. If you get it painted now, you will be nervous in taking the car out in traffic and feel bad if it gets even the lightest scratch.
- No insurance in this case - Not worth the hassle
- Spot painting - no, it makes car ugly
Old 14th October 2010, 09:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
if the scratches don't bother much then keep driving it like that without any paint job till you and your bro are confident in driving.
+10000...

Quote:
If you get it painted now, you will be nervous in taking the car out in traffic and feel bad if it gets even the lightest scratch.
Exactly my sentiments too; even if one drives at utmost care, there're morons everywhere riding/driving ridiculously & carelessly, sufficient enough to make a pothole in your car.

Quote:
Spot painting - no, it makes car ugly
True, but depends how you deep is your love to keep it fit & shine & the vitamin M.
Old 14th October 2010, 09:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest tinkering and just an overcoat instead of a full paint job. I did that to my car around 2 years back.
Old 14th October 2010, 10:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post

Considering me and brother are rookies at driving, would it be better to hold re-paint as these things may happen as part of the learning curve ( touchwood it doesnt)
Eyesore and heart burn, yes. But let it be for the time being, get a hang of driving and once you are confident, you can get the repaint done.

As someone said, the scratch looks too deep, repaint is the only option IMO.
Old 14th October 2010, 10:33   #9
BHPian

Spectre, what I think is that the scratches have taken the color of wall (pillar) you have rubbed against.

As Hashim said;
Quote:
My recommendation is hiding the fine scratches by rubbing and polishing and then if the scratches don't bother much then keep driving it like that without any paint job till you and your bro are confident in driving.
Spray colin and rub it properly. Then use some rubbing compound.

Formula 1 Scratch Out, I know reviews are not great on t-bhp, but I've used it and satisfied. Sorry, don't have snaps to share. And it's just 200 bucks.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:04   #10
BHPian

Just my two cents....

I'm sure that you can find a good body & paint shop somewhere in Chennai. They ought to be able to get your door back to it's old self for just a bit under 3 grand. As long as their work is good, there is no need to approach a HMIL dealer.

Don't bother with an insurance claim if you have 'no claim bonus' (NCB), stretching back a few years. It won't be worth it. Only make a claim if you manage to get a sizable damage on your car (let's hope you don't, but in India you can never be too sure!) and parts replacement are involved.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:40   #11
BHPian

I am too of the opinion that you need to get your driving skills upto the mark and once confident enough, get the complete door painted. But on the contrary, we just can't predict anything on our roads. However safe driver you are, not everything is in your hands.
The scratches appear too deep for a rubbing/polishing/touch up job.

I suggest you get those oval stickers on the side view mirror to avoid blind spots. It could help you get a better view of things on either sides, while reversing and on the go.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2010, 12:03   #12
BHPian

Wonderful responses! Thanks to everyone, much appreciated
I was thinking for a touchup job, after i heard from the experts here, it wont be my option

Sad part is the bumper also had a small area of deep scratches. Seeing your response, I guess it will burn my pockets getting it to original condition
I will check with Hyundai on the estimate and take a call later

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Spectre - For pricing, you need to talk to Hyundai, however, I can provide you few tips so as to remain aware about the job.

When the scratches are removed, ensure that the paint job is done on the entire door & not as patch work; the local guy charges you less because he does the patch work while H.A.S.S charge you more because they do it completely on the door. On the bumpers, its even more expensive because the paint does not stick on plastic for which they use a 3M glue which is way too expensive.

However, if the local workshop guarantees you the same quality of H.A.S.S, then you may want to try at your discreetion.

Initially you may want to try with any car detailing guys & see how far the scratches can be removed & probably for the rest you can approach the H.A.S.S guys. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...m-chennai.html
Thanks for the rough estimate.
No idea if Dynasty Red is mettalic or solid. Its a pre-owned car and I dont have the manual. I am new to car scene as well. I will try and find that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
@Spectre, the scratches seem to be deep. I would suggest you to get the painting done at H.A.S.S which would be the best option if money isnt the constraint.

A detailing job would cost you close to 3-4k which I am sure would'nt help the cause. Just a question: "Is Dynasty Red metallic paint?". Anyways it looks like a solid paint to me, hence you can get Compaint spay cans and get your local car paint booth to fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Spectre - The scratches look to be too deep to remove with a detailing job. The only option out is a repaint of the entire panel.

You have following options :

- Repaint entire panel at the A.s.s or local paint shop. Depends also on your comfort level & your choice of place. Color matching & even finish would be the key here.

- Spot painting also possible. But easily identifiable since its a dark color. You will not get a uniform finish though.

- You can show the vehicle to your A.s.s & inquire about the insurance. They will be the best to advice you. I guess you can make a claim for it. My estimate for the entire door would be around 4 ~ 5 K. (This is based on my experience with Maruti A.s.s & similar damage)
Tried the rubbing polish and wax polishing already. Doesnt help much
You hit the nail. I am thinking on the same lines
Quote:
My recommendation is hiding the fine scratches by rubbing and polishing and then if the scratches don't bother much then keep driving it like that without any paint job till you and your bro are confident in driving. If you get it painted now, you will be nervous in taking the car out in traffic and feel bad if it gets even the lightest scratch.
- Spot painting - no, it makes car ugly
Exactly, it scraped the wall while parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek99 View Post
Spectre, what I think is that the scratches have taken the color of wall (pillar) you have rubbed against.
I will check on it.
I am new to driving. So I dont have any NCB. If this costs too much, I would think about insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Just my two cents....

I'm sure that you can find a good body & paint shop somewhere in Chennai. They ought to be able to get your door back to it's old self for just a bit under 3 grand. As long as their work is good, there is no need to approach a HMIL dealer.

Don't bother with an insurance claim if you have 'no claim bonus' (NCB), stretching back a few years. It won't be worth it. Only make a claim if you manage to get a sizable damage on your car (let's hope you don't, but in India you can never be too sure!) and parts replacement are involved.
Do any of you guys know of any good paintjob shop in Chennai who can do a professional job

I am planning to hold this, considering what Hashim and others have said. But just want to check on the options available and how much the cost would be

Again, thankyou all
I will update this thread, as I do something about this

Kindly keep giving all your valuable insights.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks