Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 00:47   #1
BHPian

Help needed on Car which is not used since last 1 year !!

Hi Guys ,

I have a Maruti Swift Vxi with 25000 Kms on the ODO . Car is not used since last one year as I am out of country right now. I will be going to India on a 1 month vacation and will need car at that time .

Last time it was used in January 2010 when my brother took it for a small spin on my request . Last night I asked my father to try to start it and he told me that "its not starting but it sounds like its trying to start" .

What can be the possible cause for it ?
Should I get the battery replaced or should I try to get it recharged ?

Do I also need to change the tyres as rubber might have got hard?

I was trying to search on the internet and some guys were suggesting to change the petrol ASAP for the cars which are stand still from a long time . My question is should I fill the car with more petrol or take it to workshop ask them to drain all the petrol and then refill the fresh one?

Any other measures should I take before I use the car?

Thanks in advance guys.

Regards
Old 12th October 2010, 06:53   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Hi Guys ,
take it to workshop ask them to drain all the petrol and then refill the fresh one?
Yes take it to the work shop and ask them to empty the tank, cleaning fuel line and change fuel filters and then fill the fresh petrol.
Change the engine oil immediately. Check the condition of gear oil also.

I am surprised that how your car is making sound like ‘trying to start’! Battery should completely drain off in 10 months and there should not any response.
Problem (if any) can be diagnosed only after installation of a charged battery.

No need to change tyres.Carry out necessary alignment & balancing (if required).
Old 12th October 2010, 07:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

In addition to what Alok mentioned, needless to say, get the battery charged. Empty the fuel and fill the tank with new fuel. Inspect the tire sidewalls for cracks.
Old 12th October 2010, 07:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

First, was the car parked in the shade or in the open. As already suggested, please do the following:
  1. Charge battery and top-up distilled water. No need to change battery unless its more than 3 years old in which case chances of a cell going dead are high.
  2. I'm not sure how you can clean a fuel tank without taking it out fully and that would be a pretty major job. The shorter way is to carry 2 litres petrol and drive the vehicle till it runs out of fuel. Then fill in the 2 litres and take it to your service centre and change the fuel filter.
  3. Change Engine Oil. No need to change Gear Oil as they are much more immune to oxidation and are built to last longer duration.
  4. Change Wiper Blades as they would have gone dry and may spoil your windscreen
  5. Check the belts and if there are no crack, just add a drop or two or engine oil on the pulley. That will stop the screeching noise. This should be done during the first start itself.
  6. Apart from this just give it a good pressure wash both underbody and in the engine bay.
  7. Add petroleum jelly or grease on the battery terminals.
  8. Check coolant.
Drive Safe

Cheers
Old 12th October 2010, 20:22   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Prashant, here's a must read thread the next time you plan to leave your car : Long term parking : Dos and Donts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks