Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2010, 21:07   #31
BHPian

I can feel your pain.Morons like this exist everywhere.
Painting the entire bonnet may cost you around 6k.not sure though.
Use car cover whenever possible.
Old 15th October 2010, 23:06   #32
BHPian

Omg !

How can anybody do like this? My sympathies for you.

I had a small scratch on my new Ritz yesterday, feeling sad, But seeing this I can understand Your Pain!

It is quite unfortunate for you. Where did you park? is it routine parking place for your car? any similar incidents in that area?

My uncle's brand new OHC was scratched similarly within 2 days of buying, by a labourer, who didn't like him. He got it repainted, a week later it was badly scratched again. But this time the Goorkha had seen the person, identified him & he was caught and punished !(this incident was nearly 8 yrs ago)

Try to find the culprit if possible,
I think a paint Job will do the needful.

Invest in a car cover. If possible ask a security guard or Goorkha of that locality to keep an eye on your car.

Last edited by drkritik : 15th October 2010 at 23:14.
Old 15th October 2010, 23:29   #33
BHPian

One of the perils of open parking or road side parking are such incidents. I can feel your pain having suffered myself over the years on almost all my cars. My Altis had a scratch on the third day after purchase. That incident prompted me to get a car cover since my car is parked on a public road. A car cover will atleast make such a maniac think twice or do the extra work if he intends to damage your car.

For the present, getting the bonnet painted seems to be the practical option. A wax/buff job might help but not 100%.
Old 15th October 2010, 23:54   #34
BHPian

Ouch. That hurts.
Rubbing/polishing wouldn't bring back the lost glory. You will have to get the bonnet and the fenders re painted.
Looks like a cat/dog tried to climb up the car.
My collegue's swift's wheel arch (yes. the metal part) was bitten up by a stray dog. It ended up looking like an amateur tinker job.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2010, 00:30   #35
BHPian

Looks like its done with kitchen scrubber.

This has to have been done with the wire puff kitchen scrubber and could be done by a disgruntled maid servant or someone who knows the effect that the steel kitchen scrubber has on paint.

Why I say this with conviction is because my wife(yes my wife) used the 3M scotch poly scrubber to clean up my newly acquired microwave. I was like when I reached home after work. I was seething with anger but controlled my self. The whole top and sides of the oven now has the scrubbed look just like your car but with finer lines but since its white in colour its not that obvious. The sheen will never ever come back though. I asked her why she had done it. Her answer was more shocking. She did it remove the smell of the wax coat I had applied the previous day to the top of the oven and its side to protect it from the weather in the kitchen. I was like I thanked GOD that she did not have the time to scrub the Refrigerator. If you guys are wondering; she is not an illiterate from some remote village but a graduate. I can laugh over it now but at that time my blood pressure would have gone through the roof.

The other item that can cause these marks are the steel wire bristled scrubber that is used to remove old paint from buildings before giving it a fresh coat of paint.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 16th October 2010 at 00:38.
Old 16th October 2010, 02:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatotkatch View Post
it will take at least one more year, till i move into my own flat. till then, i will have to park on the road and cant trust someone will not do it again.
In my case it was none other than a jealous neighbor / kid who scribbled on my Lancer's bonnet. Luckily the scratches were not deep and most of it was gone after a rubbing polish. Then a week later someone scratched the entire length of the the car (driver side) with a bunch of keys I guess. There is no guarantee that they will not do it again. The best approach is to wait for couple of months to allow for their jealousy to die down and then fix it.

TASS may quote 4K for a repaint job just for the bonnet, however note that a repaint job can never be as good as the original. The difference is noticiable to the trained eye after an year or so.
Old 16th October 2010, 08:53   #37
BHPian

I Sincerely pray the culprit spends rest of his life paralyzed. Anything less than 100% will always leave you unsatisfied and pricks your heart as you described.It being black the scratches stand out. go for the paint on bonnet and may be wax polish on the fender. As someone already suggested, Go for body art if its suits your taste and personality. For me, stickering is a NO-NO.But make sure to get the repaint at the reputed shop or ***. Don't compromise on quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
You have only one choice and that is painting the bonnet and the fender. I wouldn't suggest for insurance claim as you'll lose your NCB for a small job like this.
This looks like a sadist's job.
I agree this is small job but why shouldn't he claim insurance? It would still cost him 8k to 10k and while NCB would only be a couple of thousands.That brings us to another question. Does this qualify for a claim. I mean, i cannot claim my health insurance with just a blade cut . On the similar lines, does this qualify
Old 16th October 2010, 09:04   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Mods note: Thread moved to right section.

You have only one choice and that is painting the bonnet and the fender. I wouldn't suggest for insurance claim as you'll lose your NCB for a small job like this.

Try to park your car in place from where you can actually keep an eye. This looks like a sadist's job.
This is the only option, no amount of rubbing polishing will help. It has to be scrubbed down to primer and repainted.

If the quote you get is within 6-8K then pay for it from your pocket, else take insurance.

Claiming insurance means you lose your NCB for this year and your premium for all the coming years will be higher.
Old 16th October 2010, 10:20   #39
BHPian

we used to have pet cats and have seen them plumbing through soft, inviting things like a bikes' seat, lush tree stumps, or sometimes even my hand or leg, through my shirt/trouser.

i think they do it to train and sharpen their nails. doing it on a smooth metal surface will not serve the purpose as they cant get their nails inside it. so even though some cat tries to do it, it will give up in couple of attempts, after realising it's useless.

i still want to believe that it's done by an innocent cat or a dog; at least to get those bad vibes out of my head, consider it sheer bad-luck and move on.

i have started using my car cover during night since then. have also changed the space where i park my car. now it's right under a lamp post on a comparatively busy road.

couldnt get much time last week due to other work, but as and when i get sufficient time, i have decided to apply some temporary measures, as suggested by some people in this thread. once i get my private parking space and safety of a secured society, will get it painted properly. till then no close-distance looking at the bonnet in daylight.
Old 16th October 2010, 21:04   #40
GSM
BHPian

Sad!

I also experienced the same part . The sadists doubled up with inscribing their name and their loved one's in the rear, and on the bonnet, invoked god! Another similarity - I also own a Fiat Palio Stile Black Colour.

Haven't got it repainted yet. Planning to do along with my next service, around December First Week. Will post pics later.

Regards
Old 16th October 2010, 22:06   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Buddy, really sad to see this!

I suggest to get it repainted. buffing , rubbing compound / polishing are for minor scratches. I think first you should consult with some local mechanics and check for the "depth" of scrubbing. If its deep, then the best option is to repaint it as it might lead to rust later. Else a rubbing compound should do. I guess the financial damage will be 10-15K as its bonnet and one side fender!

By the way, did you have any problems with anybody in ur neighborhood? Or have u acquired the parking space that some one else was using? All this could lead to vengeance! I know one of my friend's KL registration car's tyre used to be deflated when he used to park his car in his friend's place. The first day one tyre was deflated and when they replaced it with the spare, next day two tyres were deflated. The problem was that he used the parking space which was used by some taxi driver. Please don't misunderstand that this space is owned by those guys, it was the road side space. And another Santro - KA registration belonging to another friend was never touched even when parked at the same spot!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th October 2010 at 22:07.
Old 17th October 2010, 17:52   #42
dot
Senior - BHPian

Ghatotkatch, Really sorry to see the damage. I think it is Pune problem. My Ikon has numerous flowers, waves, fuzzy lines "written" on the bonnet, trunk and sides. All these priceless decorations have taken place when the car was parked at various places, but mostly near my office. Initially I used to get hurt, apply wax, scratch removing compound etc. Now I have become seasoned enough and just leave it alone. I know two good garages who can paint the bonnet in less than 10k, kindly PM me if you are interested.
Old 17th October 2010, 21:28   #43
BHPian

Oops. That awful.

Oh, thats bad. I understand how you feel. The only option is a nice paint job under insurance. Pls get in done in the authorised shop, inspect the paint job under sun before taking delivery.

I am quite careful when it comes to parking, i follow these simple rules to avoid any discomfort to my buddy.

1. Park only in the allotted parking space
2. Do not park in front of the pavement shop. They may sometime do some damage to your car because they feel that you are obstructing their shop access. If i dont have an option, i just tell the shop keep to keep a watch and give him some Rs 5/10 for that task. I dont mind losing Rs 5 to protect my car. Sometimes i even buy something from the shop to make him happy.
3. Always preferred premium parking in airports and shopping malls.
4. Never parked my car in railway station parking. Its horrible
5. Never took my car to places where you buy stolen automobile car parts.
6. If in parallel parking if the other car was not parked properly, i will either try to park my car so that the other car get more space to open the door.. if thats not possible.. i move away from that space.
7. Never parked my car near auto stands.
8. Always respect other vehicles around you. Ensure that your parking is not obstructing any other vehicle.
9. Never parked in front of the gate or access area.
Old 17th October 2010, 21:58   #44
BHPian

Some pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatotkatch View Post
i think they do it to train and sharpen their nails. doing it on a smooth metal surface will not serve the purpose as they cant get their nails inside it. so even though some cat tries to do it, it will give up in couple of attempts, after realising it's useless.

i still want to believe that it's done by an innocent cat or a dog; at least to get those bad vibes out of my head, consider it sheer bad-luck and move on.
Buddy, Close look at the scratches shows some pattern.

1. Four parallel lines in majority of the places, resembles pet claw.
2. Scratch runs from top to bottom. If its vandalism, you would have seen scratches in all directions & curves
3. Someone was really upset with the scratch and was trying to rub it away.
4. The scratch happened only in the lower part of the bonnet.
Old 19th October 2010, 17:41   #45
BHPian

Really sad to see this. But I dont think you should break your head over how it was caused. I've been there and it doesn't help to think of it.

I'd suggest you go to a good vendor and get the entire hood covered in black vinyl. I don't know whether you're a fan of the matte black hood, but I've seen it on a Palio and it looks fine. This will also save you a LOT of money and can be a temporary solution till you move to a place with safer parking.

I wouldn't suggest painting as there is no guarantee that this wont happen again.

Tassem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks