Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2020, 10:34   #46
BHPian

Re: Starting problem when engine is HOT!

Do you by any chance have a habit of running your car with less to very less fuel in your tank?If yes then it could be your fuel pump. I would look at the fuel pressure being generated when the engine is hot to rule it out.

In my opinion not having enough fuel in the tank causes the pump to overheat and eventually fail in the long run.

If your mechanic can test it with a spare pump then that should also help to further narrow down the diagnosis.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 20:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Today I showed the car to my known Starter mechanic who ruled out the need of Starter Overhaul.

He said the Starter and Battery are good and the Starter is moving the flywheel with required force.
He further said This problem is not due bad Starter and told to show the car to another FIP Overhaul workshop (Bosch Authorised One). This Workshop guy checked and told that the Primary Pump (the one above the Filter) of our car is getting loose wihin few minutes after turning off engine. This should not happen .i.e. the pump should remain tight when the engine is not running. He advised to get the Fuel Lines for air leakage and the Fuel Pump inside the Tank for working.

I will be taking the car tomorrow for these checks.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 11th September 2020 at 20:33.
IndigoXLGrandDi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 21:43   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Primary Pump (the one above the Filter) is getting loose wihin few minutes after turning off engine. He advised to get the Fuel Lines checked.
Bhau,

The pump referred to above is just for priming.

When the engine is off, I've seen several diesels in which one can press this twice till it becomes "tight".

Yes, it is good to inspect all hoses and piping from the tank to the filter, and filter downstream to the pump.

One more inspection - please see if the engine oil level is normal OR has increased.
Old 12th September 2020, 05:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

I had this same problem for years, the steps I took

1. Replacing battery caused the issue to go away
2. But my car used to eat battery in 1-2 years
3. Serviced starter
4. Replaced starter
5. The problem used to resurface every now and then. Got fed up.

A detailed investigation was done to see why does battery die so soon.

Parasitic battery drain was found via car music system, while it couldn't be fixed, I started taking out power cable of the same when car was not in use.

Now, haven't faced this problem in years.

Battery used to get weakened due to which cold start was fine, but not hot starts.

Try checking two things
1. When car is hot and not starting, try connecting other battery and see if it starts
2. Check for parasitic battery drain

Not saying that this is the issue in your case, but saying that you can rule out this known reason.
Old 28th September 2020, 21:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Starting Problem of our Xylo when hot-

I took the car to another Garage on Thursday 24-9-2020.

The Owner of Garage replaced the Diesel Filter alongwith Body and also the Crank Sensor with the old ones he had, to verify whether replacing these will solve the problem.
He told to use the car and check whether the problem got solved.

On Friday, I drove for 55Kms nonstop and turned off the car at a Fuel Station to fill Diesel. When I tried to start the car after filling Diesel (filled 32 litres), again the same problem. Then I got down and pumped the Diesel Pump and then the car started on cranking.

I would like to mention here that only one thing improved after replacing the Filter, Body and Crank Sensor- The car used to shut off after Cold Start in the morning and I had try second time to start. Now after replacing the above three things, the car does not shut off after Cold Start in the morning.

Now he is suggesting to replace the FIP with another old working one (if he gets one as sourcing a working FIP is difficult) and check if the problem gets solved.

IndigoXLGrandDi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 12:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

New Update on above.
On last Friday- 23-10-2020, I had travelled 60 kms. I reached the "A" place at 11:30-11:45am. I parked the car in hot sun for around 2hours (till 1:30pm). The car started but stalled within 2-5 seconds. I pumped the Diesel Pump to aid easy start (routine), but even though I pumped 30-40 times, the pump did not harden (the air could not be removed). So I loosen the '10' spanner bolt on Filter body and pumped. That helped in air removal from tank to filter. But still the car won't start.

I called my mechanic over phone who advised me to loosen the pipes of Nozzles and pump so as remove the air ahead of filter. I was not confident so I summon local mechanic who helped in air removal ahead of filter. The mechanic arrived around 3:15 pm.
The car started (3:30 pm) and I travelled to "B" place which was 25-30 kms away where I turned off the engine for around 30 minutes. Again I had to pump the Diesel filter to start the car.

So I got the Starter Serviced from my known Electrician on Saturday to eliminate the Starter problem. After the starter was opened, it was found in working condition. But still the electrician cleaned the starter with petrol and lubrication (greasing) was done and the starter was installed back.
But as they say, the Bad Karma was not ready to leave me.
The Starting problem when Engine Bay is Hot is still present.
In our case, "Hot Engine" corresponds to High Engine Bay Temperature irrespective of Engine has run (Engine Oil circulated all over Engine) or not (Engine Oil has settled in Sump). That means the Starting Problem occurs even if the Car is parked in Hot Sun for long durations.

I could not understand why did the air got trapped from Tank to Engine on Friday.

Please help me what should be the next step.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 28th October 2020 at 12:46. Reason: Typo.
Old 28th June 2021, 16:52   #52
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread as I am facing a similar problem with my Honda City AT 2013. It starts very well when the engine is cold, but refuses to start when the engine is hot!

Last week I was out for some errands and after a run of about 5kms or so, stopped to buy some stuff and upon return, the car just refused to start. I waited for 15-20 mins for it to cool down but it just struggled to start even after multiple attempts. Thankfully a FNG was nearby who brought his workshop car with a jumpstart cable connecting which, my car started instantly.

Before this day, I have faced this issue multiple times but after a cooling period of few mins or with multiple attempts, the car used to start but in this instance it was reluctant as hell.

Now I am not sure whether the battery is the culprit here or something else which is draining the battery while the car is in motion. My understanding is if this is battery issue, it should struggle on cold starts as well right?

I had reported the issue previously at Honda service center assuming it to be faulty alternator but they claimed alternator is fine while battery is the culprit. Unfortunately even after multiple attempts, the issue could not be replicated while car was there. The same was suggested by another FNG upon checking the alternator.

Due to fear of this issue, I have stopped taking my car out and relying upon my secondary car for everything. Any pointers to diagnose this issue would be helpful.
Old 28th June 2021, 17:36   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinFluent View Post
Bumping up an old thread as I am facing a similar problem with my Honda City AT 2013. It starts very well when the engine is cold, but refuses to start when the engine is hot!
I had this problem a few years ago. It turned out to be the trigger wire to the starter motor. The spade connector was corroded. I replaced the connector and never had a problem since.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 18:12   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinFluent View Post
Honda City AT 2013 starts very well when the engine is cold, but refuses to start when the engine is hot!

Thankfully a FNG was nearby who brought his workshop car with a jumpstart cable connecting which, my car started instantly
Your battery is weakening. The first symptom of a sub-optimal battery is its ability to start the car when cold but not able to provide enough cranking power when the engine is hot. I'm assuming that the battery was changed once in 2017, and the current one is 4 years old too.

Easiest way to diagnose for a weak battery is to check electrolyte specific gravity in all the six cells using a hydrometer.

1. An almost uniform value of 1.2 - 1.23 in most cells => battery charge is low => recharge battery
2. An abnormally low value in one cell => replace battery
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks