Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 10:56   #46
Team-BHP Support

When I went once to get the air filled in the tyres they managed to break my front number plate with the air hose.

The number plate was brand new so I really got pissed off.

I went and met the manager who apologised, and got me a replacement number plate the next day exactly the same size as the original one and not just some cheap replacement.

Very impressed with their levels of service.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2010, 11:20   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

And so there I was. Waiting.

The pump is almost empty so I stand to the side and watch. Sometimes the wind blows through the pump causing all kinds of whooshy and rattly noises.
I look around and see a security camera on a motor whirring left and right watching the goings-on at the pump.

Chalo vada khaane jaate hai.

We walk over to Joshi Vadewale which is about 300m or so down the road. Terrible management and service now, but the vadas are still top-class deluxe.

20 minutes later we're back at the Shell pump. The petrol attendant gives us a hand signal which means (I think) they're coming, they're coming.

35 minutes later a motorcycle pulls up with 2 men on it. I grin because one is in a Shell Tee-shirt and the other is in a super smart Ferrari-Shell shirt. These guys look amazing.

Hello Sir says Ferrari, sorry you had to wait. Too much rain.
No no that's fine, you guys are here and that's all I need.
Your oil Sir he says,
handing it over to me Sorry we did not have stock here.
Actually I think it's really nice of you to bring the oil all the way here.
No Sir, it is our duty.

We then exchange pleasantries and discuss the reason for my oil warning light being on.
Yes Sir, these new cars tend to consume some oil for the first few thousand kms.
I didn't know! They should have told me.
Yes, yes. Shall I put the oil for you?
No thanks,
I smile. I'll do it thanks.

Ferrari gives me his business card. He's the area sales manager. He introduces me to his colleague. Master distributor and stockist for the area.

If you ever need anything from Shell, you can call me directly. I will tell you where to get it, or I will arrange it for you.
Thank you.

As Akbar fills the engine with oil, Ferrari stands by my side, offering cotton-waste or anything else I may need. I don't need much.
We empty 1.5L into the engine and keep the 0.5L in the boot.

The oil is imported. Probably justifies the hefty price. Rs. 1015/- per litre is not cheap.

We wave our thanks and goodbyes.

As we drive home, the car feels, well smoother (but this could be our imagination) and the oil pressure light has gone away.

As they say, all is well.

The End.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2010, 11:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
When it is decision of to freeze or not to freeze a 10 L + car engine, then one might play very very safe. Atleast I would. No one knows the threashold right ? When the engine will sieze right and what if the engine would attain that threshold on the way to the Skoda dealership/shop. No offence but just an interpretation.
Guess what he meant here was that the Skoda dealership is right across the road of the Shell station they were at.
You could cross the road walking down, no need to drive the car around.

Last edited by jigbarai : 30th June 2010 at 11:25.
Old 30th June 2010, 11:24   #49
BHPian

A pleasant customer experience , in a typical Yeti Fashion.

Shell has won a lifetime customer for sure. And a few more after reading this.
Old 30th June 2010, 11:29   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I went and met the manager who apologised, and got me a replacement number plate the next day exactly the same size as the original one and not just some cheap replacement.

Very impressed with their levels of service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
No Sir, it is our duty
+1 to the levels of service from Shell. The shell pump near my place exactly knows my preference (like diesel only , no top up and no shopping) and hence doesn't even ask the question if I would like to buy anything else.

Thanks to this level of service I have stopped using PSU pumps though Diesel is 8 Rs. more expensive

Thanks
Old 30th June 2010, 11:35   #51
BHPian

I passed this thread to a colleague and he asked me whether it is good. (He is aware of Yeti blogs.) I told him that a Yeti blog has to be read. Period.

With Akbar around, why do you need to invest in a high-quality audio system (I know this is ironic)? Just ask him to keep talking.

Pradeep
Old 30th June 2010, 12:14   #52
lsp
BHPian

What!!
The end?? No twist??
I was half expecting the Area Sales Manager n Distributor fellow to come up with something other than Helix Ultra.
(Sam, No offence, I wish the best for you and your car... and Akbar)
Anyways, all's well that ends well.
Old 30th June 2010, 13:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:
The oil is imported. Probably justifies the hefty price. Rs. 1015/- per litre is not cheap....
I get Shell Helix Ultra at 3800/- for 4 litres in Goa, with bill.
BTW, wonderful writing Sam, this is inspiration to us all to write in a more imaginative and attractive manner.
Some others have written about synthetics requiring topping up. I was also warned of this, but despite four oil changes in my Baleno, using both Shell HU and Mobil 1, I have never found the level going low, even after 10,000 km use.
Old 30th June 2010, 13:56   #54
BHPian

I guess there is hope for us after all. The bad service we complain about is most probably because of our "chalta hai" attitude. But if a company like Shell can come in and use our very own people to make us feel special, then I guess it's just a matter of time before the others change. With petrol now being deregulated, I guess Shell pumps will start seeing more customers as the service is better.
All said, this thread does show some amazing service by Shell and not just for TheYeti.
Old 30th June 2010, 14:21   #55
BHPian

I thought this is just the start of the story !

But this story ended too quickly & even before discussing the technical stuff
Old 30th June 2010, 14:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

Good to see Sam in the technical section.

About the European Pumps / Indian Pumps comparison - Sam - we are the highest population in the world ( I think we may have overtaken China too ) So a few 10 - 20 people working in a small 5 booth pump is not bad. I mean it's a permanent job for them !!

When I am in the UK I also was shocked when visiting the first time that there was actually 1 person managing the entire pump and the shop ( huge shop serving beer to lindtt & sandwiches ) I mean it was a mini mall ! Developed Countries you see ! I was surprised no one drives off after filling. I know they have security cameras and all.

The travel lodge I stay in has 1 receptionsit and no one else for an entire 100+ room motel !! We would probable need 50 guards here for that kind of a motel.

Coming back to the car, You'd probably had a mini heart attack listening to that beep. I would have specially after all the wonderful stories you hear regarding Skoda's

I am surprised we here in North India still do not have Shell.

Last edited by vkochar : 30th June 2010 at 14:43.
Old 30th June 2010, 15:27   #57
BHPian

Sam, I'll tell you from experience that the more you drive the car in sport mode, the more oil it will consume. But I guess it will stop after the first few thousand kms. I've not filled oil in my car for the last 4k odd kms. (8k was the last fill, 1L, now I'm on 12.5k)

Also, its better if you get another bottle and keep just in case. This oil is quite difficult to source here in Mumbai. I tried quite a few places, and they all said "teen mahine se stock nahin aaya hai, humko bhi chahiye". The only places in Mumbai that seem to have this is the authorized service centers.

Last edited by holysmoke : 30th June 2010 at 15:28.
Old 30th June 2010, 15:33   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As Akbar fills the engine with oil, Ferrari stands by my side, offering cotton-waste or anything else I may need. I don't need much.
We empty 1.5L into the engine and keep the 0.5L in the boot.
And you never checked that Dip Stick? Oh, Sam! Please remember for next time.

In fact, not for next time: please check it now... you might have overfilled the engine!
Old 30th June 2010, 15:46   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And you never checked that Dip Stick? Oh, Sam! Please remember for next time.

In fact, not for next time: please check it now... you might have overfilled the engine!
Hey Nick, of course I checked the dip stick.

lol. The oil was on minimum as I have mentioned in my conversation to the Skoda engineer.
Old 30th June 2010, 15:47   #60
BHPian

what I like about Shell is, the welcome namaste thing does not depend on how many wheels your vehicle has. be it a moped or an audi, the namaste is there for everyone ! 'Customer is King' is truly valued here !
Frankly this is the only bunk where I feel I am not entering a place owned by goons/politicians/influential people, cos most of the bunk around are owned by those categories.

Last edited by s3va : 30th June 2010 at 15:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks