Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 13:07   #1
BHPian

Weird smell from exhaust of the i10

Hey guys, this has occurred only rarely. But since this is my own first ride I'm worried.
Mine is the 2010 i10 1.2 Kappa Magna MT. Today, I noticed a weird smell coming from the vehicle after I had parked it in the parking lot. I have also observed this 4 or 5 times earlier, but didn't pay attention. Sometimes it smells like Sulphur and sometimes it smells like burnt plastic.

The smell remains out side the car. I don't smell anything inside the car with the windows up and the AirCon switched on!!

Is there any problem with my car? I also suspect high levels of sulphur/adulterant in the petrol. Also could this happen beacuse my car is a new one. Its done about 700 kms!!
Old 16th May 2010, 13:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Your answer is available in detail here: Why does my exhaust smell like rotten eggs only occasionally? - Yahoo! Answers
Old 16th May 2010, 14:26   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply SS. Currently I'm using Speed petrol from BP. Should I change from the regular bunk or should go for another brand of fuel? Should I notify of this at the bunk?
Will having having excess sulphur cause any damage to my engine or the catalytic converter

EDIT: I have also read some replies there (on Yahoo Answer) stating that the converter might be clogged up! Can this happen to a new 2 1/2 month old car? Should I take her to the Hyundai Service Centre?

Last edited by febyphilabr : 16th May 2010 at 14:32. Reason: Posting within 20 mins.
Old 16th May 2010, 14:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: I have also read some replies there (on Yahoo Answer) stating that the converter might be clogged up! Can this happen to a new 2 1/2 month old car? Should I take her to the Hyundai Service Centre?
Its not clogged at all, new cars would smell like this, cause the converter is new and would need more time to make it settle the smell. try changing the fueling station for few days and then monitor it. The smell is nothing to worry about as stated on most answers on the web.
Old 16th May 2010, 22:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by febyphilabr View Post
...I'm using Speed petrol from BP.

Should I change from the regular bunk or should go for another brand of fuel?
Use regular petrol from any trustworthy pump. Even Hyundai dissuades customers from using premium fuels.

Should I notify of this at the bunk?
Nothing to be achieved by it. It's normal.

Will having having excess sulphur cause any damage to my engine or the catalytic converter
No.

Highly unlikely. Even if it does, it'll clear up with driving continuously for some time.
My answers appear in bold above in line with your queries. As ghpk says...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
The smell is nothing to worry about as stated on most answers on the web.
So, don't worry. Be happy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks