Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Vote ONLY if you are an i20 owner. How do you find the air-conditioner effectiveness?
Excellent (Chilly) 21 25.93%
Average (Just about manages) 36 44.44%
Poor (Inadequate) 24 29.63%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2010, 23:53   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksoul View Post
All I'm saying is that a new trend has started here on Team-BHP where all i20 discussions are being peppered with "Oh the AC on the i20 sucks, don't buy it" based on a few examples here. IMO that's unfair not only to the brand, but also to Hyundai, who are extra careful to ensure their customers and cars are taken care of.

Lets try to be a little more rational - get the car checked, post the solution/resolution/experience here so others can benefit, and refrain from sweeping statements based only on a minuscule sample.
Reminds me of how Michelins are lambasted due to certain bubble issues not being addressed under warranty. A handful of cases and the entire range is termed Flawed. Here the problem as per Michelins lies with the driving pattern and in this case, the problem is actually with the product but there is one thing in common, Stereotyping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
We are discussing the issue here, i know posting here wont make the AC any strong but Should we stop discussing niggling issues about our cars on Team-Bhp?

And a we have a lot of frustrated i20 owners who have posted their feedback here in this thread, they are not happy.
We shouldn't stop discussing but should be rational in our posts as the case here seems to be a handful degrading the entire range. This should not be done, me and you understand this but those who don't should practice prudence while posting.

It's better if a poll can be added to judge the proportion. Moreover, we've more i20's on road than the Punto but it seems otherwise on TBHP. Going by the numbers, it doesn't mean that the entire range of i20's is flawed. India exports i20's worldover, can some one check if owners in other countries are having such problems?

Last edited by tsk13 : 25th April 2010 at 00:03.
Old 25th April 2010, 00:06   #92
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai had a test drive thing going on in our office yesterday. Felt the A/C in the i20 again and I have to say that in Delhi summers, its horrid!

Last edited by extreme_torque : 25th April 2010 at 00:20.
Old 25th April 2010, 12:36   #93
BHPian

I own a 1.2 Asta I20. Yesterday I out of curiosity I went around to test drive the Polo 1.2 petrol, Honda Jazz and the Ford Figo 1.4. It was around 2-3pm and its was crazy hot here is in Nasik. None of the cars were able to cool the cabin quickly. I must have spent about 15-20mins inside each car, which included idle time and driving for 2-3 kms. There were 4 ppl in each car during the test drive.

Initially even I felt that the I20's cooling isnt effective during the summer afternoons but this was in comparison with the Corolla I have. After yesterdays little trip i feel AC performance of the I20, Jazz, Polo and Figo seems to be the same i.e. it isnt too great (my reference being the Corolla) It is just too hot outside and sometimes the cabin gets so hot, it feels like a furnace! ( The I20 has a brown cabin which i guess retains quite a lot of heat). I mean if the air temp is 40C, the road temp and temp inside the car is going to be higher. Its best to roll down down the windows let some air circulate when you start the AC.

Even the new Passat which was standing in the sun all day took time cool cabin.

Edit : When i been to Hyundai to check the effectiveness of the AC in my I20, I was told the if the grill temp stays below 6.5C the AC is working fine. When they checked my car it showed 6C.

Last edited by Wraith : 25th April 2010 at 12:39.
Old 25th April 2010, 13:20   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
When i been to Hyundai to check the effectiveness of the AC in my I20, I was told the if the grill temp stays below 6.5C the AC is working fine. When they checked my car it showed 6C.
and what about the effectiveness if its stays under 6C ?. How do you rate the effectiveness of i20 A/C at front seats and back seats.
Old 25th April 2010, 13:40   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
and what about the effectiveness if its stays under 6C ?. How do you rate the effectiveness of i20 A/C at front seats and back seats.
Well during the check the car was driven around for a while. The temp was always between 6 to 6.5C at times spiking to 7C. The cooling in the front seats has been pretty good. I havent travelled much in the rear seat of the I20 but from what others have told me, it seems to be pretty decent. I should check it for myself though!
Its just that during short drives of about 5-10 mins you feel where is the AC?? esp when the car has been baking in the sun for a while.

Yesterday when I went around driving cars, I did have a chance to sit in the rear seats and my conclusion is based on both being in the front and rear seats.
Old 25th April 2010, 13:40   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own a 1.2 Asta I20. Yesterday I out of curiosity I went around to test drive the Polo 1.2 petrol, Honda Jazz and the Ford Figo 1.4. It was around 2-3pm and its was crazy hot here is in Nasik. None of the cars were able to cool the cabin quickly. I must have spent about 15-20mins inside each car, which included idle time and driving for 2-3 kms. There were 4 ppl in each car during the test drive.

Initially even I felt that the I20's cooling isnt effective during the summer afternoons but this was in comparison with the Corolla I have. After yesterdays little trip i feel AC performance of the I20, Jazz, Polo and Figo seems to be the same i.e. it isnt too great (my reference being the Corolla) It is just too hot outside and sometimes the cabin gets so hot, it feels like a furnace! ( The I20 has a brown cabin which i guess retains quite a lot of heat). I mean if the air temp is 40C, the road temp and temp inside the car is going to be higher. Its best to roll down down the windows let some air circulate when you start the AC.

Even the new Passat which was standing in the sun all day took time cool cabin.

Edit : When i been to Hyundai to check the effectiveness of the AC in my I20, I was told the if the grill temp stays below 6.5C the AC is working fine. When they checked my car it showed 6C.
Wraith, I would say an average grill temperature of 6 degrees is a wee bit high. I am going to purchase a temperature probe soon and see whats what.
Old 25th April 2010, 14:19   #97
BHPian

Maybe I should check the grill temp in the Corolla, it has fantastic cooling, it doesnt matter how long it has been in the sun.
Old 25th April 2010, 16:06   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe I should check the grill temp in the Corolla, it has fantastic cooling, it doesnt matter how long it has been in the sun.
My i20 Grille reads 3.8-3.9 C at lowest blower

CRV Grille reads 2.1-2.4 C at lowest blower

That said, the lowest speed blower setting in the CRV is atleast at high as the 2nd Speed blower setting in the i20

And the lower the blower speed, the lower temps you will get..
Old 25th April 2010, 16:31   #99
BHPian

I should get the temp in the I20 checked too! It seems like the grill temp should be around 4C and not merely under 6.5C.

Damm another trip to the service station.
Old 25th April 2010, 16:47   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Is this is the same filter which is below the passenger seat? There are 2 filters which slide out and can be cleaned...

The cleaning can be done by the user. Instructions are in the User Manual.

And I have tried cleaning my filter my self, It did not make much of a difference in my case. I even tried the blower for 5 mins in a stationary car with NO filter installed. Not much help.

Hyundai, I cannot believe you guys could be so dumb!! ... After over 10 years presence in the Indian market, you made such a rookie mistake!! Fix the i20 A/C !!
Actually Hyundai didn't make i20 for India, it was for Europe but love for Hyundai in India made many people buy it. In Europe maximum temperature never cross more than 40 degree.
Old 25th April 2010, 17:09   #101
BHPian

Jacksons, Then hyundai should not have sold it in our HOT COUNTRY.

most car manufacturers do country specific modifications to best suit the working conditions and seems i20 was launched without any such enhancements.

Poor Hyundai becoming little left back in catching up with the Latest tech.
Old 25th April 2010, 21:41   #102
BHPian

I have 1.4 CRDi, i had to pick my parents from station. We struggled so badly with A/C that we eventually decided to put the windows down.

I am just hating it. We never face so bad issues after moving from 800 10 yrs back. We have owned so many cars since then but never seen such a bad A/C.

I guess 1.4 CRDi has 2 major issues:
1) A/C
2) Turbo lag. Struggles to climb slopes when coming out of cellars. Its fine with experienced drivers but with new drivers its just impossible.
Old 25th April 2010, 22:03   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The turbo lag is not as much an Engine issue its more prominent due to the tall gearing, i am sure the new 6 speed gearbox will have much better driveability.

RPM @100 kph in 5th gear
Swift= ~2500rpm
Punto=~2500rpm
i20 CRDi=~2000rpm
Old 25th April 2010, 23:10   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
I have 1.4 CRDi, i had to pick my parents from station. We struggled so badly with A/C that we eventually decided to put the windows down.

I am just hating it. We never face so bad issues after moving from 800 10 yrs back. We have owned so many cars since then but never seen such a bad A/C.

I guess 1.4 CRDi has 2 major issues:
1) A/C
2) Turbo lag. Struggles to climb slopes when coming out of cellars. Its fine with experienced drivers but with new drivers its just impossible.
Rodeo.
I found the i20 crdi to have the least turbo lag of the lot. Wondering why its struggling to climb slopes with all that torque. Hope u are pulling it in the right gear.
Anyways, do get it checked once at some HASS. AC was better in the crdi version IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ The turbo lag is not as much an Engine issue its more prominent due to the tall gearing, i am sure the new 6 speed gearbox will have much better driveability.

RPM @100 kph in 5th gear
Swift= ~2500rpm
Punto=~2500rpm
i20 CRDi=~2000rpm
With the 6speed gearbox it reaches 100 @ 2000 rpm in 6th gear.. I'm told.
Old 25th April 2010, 23:33   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
With the 6speed gearbox it reaches 100 @ 2000 rpm in 6th gear.. I'm told.
Thats similar to the earlier 5 speed box's 5th gear, that means the other 5 gears have lower ratios meaning better driveability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks